Chuck Liddel Retiring?

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
I saw this on ESPN a few days ago, and am semi-surprised there's no thread on it. I know this would've been bigger news about 2 years ago, but I still think it's big news. It's big news, because it could be the sign of the new trend of guys retiring too late for MMA. Ken Shamrock hasn't officially retired (that I've heard), but he was definitely the first. We've seen it happen in almost every sport, and I think it's sad that it;s happening here.

MMA is obviously hard on your body, maybe harder than the sports we see this happen with. So, why would a guy keep fighting after it's become a known fact that he's washed up? Liddel hasn't been good in a long time, and it's almost sad to see him lose every fight. I'm glad he's retiring, because it's good for him, and better for the sport.

Hes lost 4 of his last 5 fights, and the last 2 were from devastating KO's. He refuses to evolve and change his fighting style. It definitely looks like its time for the Iceman to retire. Dana wants him to retire, but Chucks is still on the fence about it. I haven't heard him come out and say hes officially retired, but he doesn't have many options. Dana has said many times, he won't let him fight in the UFC no more. He says hes worried about his health, and doesn't wanna see his friend(chuck) get seriously hurt, or suffer down the line. I doubt Chuck is gonna fight in some other company and ruin the great relationship he has with the UFC. So i see Chuck officially retiring one of these days. He has 1 more fight left on his contract. So i assume if he really insisted on one more fight. He can get it.

Reactions: NSL
I've said it a few times already here, but I'm still of the opinion that if Chuck wants to continue fighting, he needs to move to the fucking Heavyweight Division. Seriously, the Light Heavyweight Division just has too much competition for the guy. Every one in the LHW division is now just as powerful as Chuck, and definitely faster. In the Heavyweight Division, on the other hand, while the fighters are stronger, 95% aren't nearly as fast as Chuck.

Chuck's style isn't really the problem, in my opinion, because it works against someone who is not as quick as he is. The guy is one of the best wrestlers in the game and it's damn near impossible for him to be taken down, and his overhand right is still there to knock motherfuckers out. The problem is, he's getting hit before being able to land it. He didn't have that problem in the past because A) The competition wasn't as tough back then as it is now and B) As you get older, the first thing to go is your speed. Power and the technical aspect doesn't leave you until much later if you stay in shape.

Chuck walks around at 220/230, and all he needs to do is add some muscle to that and move up to heavyweight. I'm not saying he'll win the World Championship in the division, but the fact of the matter is... he'll do a lot better there than he would if he continues to fight in the LHW division.

But if he wants to retire, then I'm okay with that. However, the more fights he takes at 205, the more his legacy continues to diminish.

I'm all about violence and destruction but I'm gonna join the he should retire side of the debate. He's got the money, fame and a supposed backstage job offer from Dana White. Couple that with the fact all the guys he's lost to have been top-notch and I see no viable reason for him to keep fighting. Maybe if he had some grudge match he needed to wrap up he should fight, but at this point I suggest he just save his remaining braincells from getting right hooked into oblivion.

He still has name value, I'd let him continue for as long as possible. If he carries on it's his reputation. If he's facing name opponents and losing I don't see how it's an issue. It hypes up his opponent and makes them more of a star. On paper they've still defeated Chuck Liddell, broken down or not.

It only harms the company after he starts losing to nobodies, quickly.

It's not like he's an intresting enough personality to become an announcer once he retires.

I think that Chuck should retire before he becomes like Ken Shamrock. I am not saying that he is as bad of a fighter as Shamrock, but he is too big of a name to fight nobodies. He refuses to evolve and everyone knows how to counter his style now. I like Chuck, but I think it is time for him to hang it up. It is completely up to him if he wants to retire, but I believe that he should.

i dont kno wat to say ... chuck is my fav fighter ... i dont really wanna c him retire ... he got caught ... he still got it ... he still strong ... idk he not wat he was before but that doesnt mean nuttin ... top 10 fighter no , but he still is a big money maker for the ufc and hey silva vs. liddell 2 ... who woudlnt wanna c dat ... i kno a coach from american top team has said he should think of going down to middlewight ... Chuck Liddell in Middleweight division ? people tell me wat ya think of that ... chuck in that division would be good ... only prob his older and cutting wiehgt like dat would gas him ... but i would be open t c how he does

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back