Chris Kreski - Unsung Hero?

Emmet

Juventino 4 LiFe
So it seems everyone and their dog has taken some credit for the success of the Attitude Era down the years. However the one person who never gets a mention is Chris Kreski.

Kreski became the chief TV writer following Russo's departure in late '99. He implemented the use of storyboards for the storylines at the time, despite being mocked for it, his run in 2000 was arguably the best TV the WWF produced in the history of the company, let alone the AE. It was captivating and most of it was logical and spanned across several months (thinking of the HHH/Angle/Steph storyline).

He was replaced by Stephanie in late 2000 and left the company in 2002, sadly dying in 2005.

This man hardly gets a mention, certainly never gets a mention by the company, so is he an unsung hero? You look at 2000 and it is overwhelming more better than the Russo car crash TV of 1998 and 1999. Yes he had better talent to work with in 2000 than Russo had in the previous two years, but the storylines, like I said earlier, were mostly logical (no higher power nonsense in 2000, I'll say that much).

It is arguable to say the quality of the storylines dipped when he was replaced by Stephanie in late 2000 (anyone know why this happened?). For consistent excellence, his period in my eyes is unparalleled over the past 20 years, maybe ever.

What do folks think about this unheralded man?

Even though most people consider WM17 to be the end of the Attitude Era I always thought it ended when Russo left and Kreski took over. The change wasn't so dramatic overnight. It took a few months but WWF definitely improved as 2000 began and especially after WM16. I remember being concerned about Russo leaving in 1999 but it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened. Getting Jericho, Angle, Benoit, and Guerrero around that time certainly helped. I can't say I have any insider information on how much credit Kreski deserves, but I am familiar with his name. All I can really say is 1999 was my least favorite year in wrestling and 2000 was my favorite. I would think Kreski has to deserve some credit considering the turnaround was so noticeable so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back