Chris Benoit in the 4 Horsemen

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
I'm watching Nitro on the Network right.

My interest was peeked by the Arn Anderson/Ric Flair feud in the early days which was a ploy to bring back the horsemen. Pillman was added to the horsemen which makes sense with his role in the above mentioned feud.

So we have Arn Anderson, Brian Pillman & Ric Flair in the Horsemen. Logic dictates there should be a 4th person.

That 4th person would end up being Chris Benoit. What i want to know is why? He didn't even get any sort of reason like Pillman was. He was having an amazing match with Eddie Guerrero and Bischoff said in passing something like oh by the way Benoit is the 4th Horseman. i didn't see him interact at all with the other 3 men before or as of right now after Bischoff made that announcement. It's possible it happened on PPV and i haven't seen it as I'm just watching Nitro but this just leaves me confused.

Benoit joined on the previous WCW Saturday Night, they made a bit of a deal about searching for a 4th horsemen before he joined also. He was a perfect fit for the horsemen in that he was portrayed as a lethal wrestler that took no shit; the only better option in my opinion at that time would have been Austin had they not let him go.

The idea was as I remember it that he would be the new Enforcer... replacing Arn as it was clear his career was winding down. Ultimately Curt Hennig got that moniker.

At the time Benoit was logical, he had the technical ability that Tully Blanchard and Flair had and gave a modern edge to the group along with Pillman. In the past they'd just gone with whoever was "big" at the time, be it Luger, Sting, Sid or Windham.. this time they were in effect replacing members permanently.

The WCW brand really killed the 4 Horsemen stable with bad booking towards the end. Benoit really never fit with this group as his persona didn't really make sense in the group. I would love to see WWE bring back the group. Most of the heel factions of late have had weak components and haven't been dominant. Think of a Smackdown version of the faction with Flair managing and consisting of (Orton, Roode, Ziggler, & Corbin). I feel this would really freshen up the 3 guys other than Roode and honestly he needs to be more heel than face. Then post mania you have Styles moved back to Raw and you could have Orton feud with Nakamura for the Title.

Like the idea but not the picks...I would have:-

Flair in the JJ Dillon/Manager role
Roode in the Flair role
The Revival in the tag team role
Drew McIntyre as The Enforcer (and who turns on Roode to feud)

They're clearly positioning Roode to be the "new Flair", by putting him with Charlotte and giving him that rub from Ric... it makes sense to use it to push him to the title.

The Revival have that same vibe that Arn and Tully had as a team and could hold their own in the odd singles match too.

Drew as Enforcer works cos of his size and skill in the same way it did with Barry Windham. Just as it built Windham to the main event, it could build Drew with the inevitable turn and replacement of him leading to the feud with Roode for the title.

While Charlotte isn't a valet as such, she could also be part of the reason for the split, if Roode/Flair thought Drew was after her (or they storyline hook up) as well as the title.

For the 6 months to a year it runs though, go all out... limos, partying, own jet... full on Horsemen gimmick.

Kevin Sullivan was booking at the time and admittedly on heavy drugs. Don't remember the details but it had something to do with Woman (the late Nancy Sullivan) who was valeting for Flair at the time. being paired with Benoit I think it was supposed to lead to an angle between Kevin Sullivan and Chris Benoit but life imitated art and well.....we all know what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back