Chicago Region, First Round: (8) British Bulldogs vs. (57) Midnight Express

Who Wins This Matchup?

• British Bulldogs

• Midnight Express (Eaton/Condrey)

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Chicago Region. It's a standard tag team match held in the Rosemont Horizon.

4025414292_5c4bda57d1.jpg

tt-bulldogs01st-2.jpg

8. British Bulldogs

Vs.

express1.jpg

57. Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton/Dennis Condrey)

Vote for who you feel is the better team. The poll will be open for THREE days starting approximately twenty four hours after this thread is posted. Use the time to argue and defend your choices. In the case of a tie, the team with more written votes will win. Only one vote per user.

Remember that this is a non-spam section and posts that do not meet our spam requirements will not count.

Does it matter that this match is in the arena where the Bulldogs won the WWF tag titles? Probably not but I'm voting for them anyway. They are one of the most innovative teams in wrestling and are going up against the lesser known version of the Midnight Express. Nothing against Condrey but I would give this match more consideration if it was Eaton and Lane. Bulldogs to round two.

I agree with Brain....had it been the other version of the Midnights I may have went with them but in this case I have to go with the more dominate team. Bulldogs to advance.

Eaton and Condrey will probably get overlooked because they weren't as well known as the Eaton/Lane version of the Midnights, but don't kid yourselves. Condrey was a fantastic wrestler and that version of the Midnight Express was a phenomenal tag team for many years, in several territories. The Mid Atlantic version of the NWA Tag Team titles; 2 times Mid South Tag Team champions; WCCW Tag Team champions... and if you care to consider this, they reformed later on in various NWA territories where they won over 50 titles together. In fact, in 2003 PWI magazine ranked this version of the Midnight Express higher than the Eaton/Lane version (21st to 32nd).

That all said, in a amazing matchup, I think the Bulldogs come out on top. The difference is the Dynamite Kid, who an argument can be made for that he was the best worker in North America in the 80's. Assuming of course that this match takes place with the 1986 versions of both teams (when both were at their peak).

The real winners though would be the fans, who not only would get to watch one of the best tag team matches they've ever seen, but would also get the added benefit of promoters being reminded that tag team wrestling done right actually has an important place on any card, and then focusing on it more for future shows.

Brutal luck for the Midnights in drawing the Bulldogs right off the bat. I agree with MojoRisin that this is in no way a gimme for the Bulldogs. Eaton and Condrey were a great team, and would've put on a massively entertaining match with these guys. I'm going to imagine a scenario though that has Eaton and Condrey losing this match because Cornette is banking more on his Eaton and Lane team. A miscue by Cornette with the tennis racket plus a Dynamite Kid headbutt puts away the Midnights in this round.

Winner: The British Bulldogs in an instant classic.

Arguably the best match of the 1st round. Both teams are just great in the ring, both are classic teams but I gotta go with the Bulldogs. As Brain said it would be a bigger question if Lane was replaced with Condrey and the Bulldogs had great success in Japan as well as WWE. They were an incredibly innovative team, incredibly over and had some of the best tag matches I've ever seen.

The crazy thing is you could say a lot of the same stuff about the Midnight Express, main eventing Starrcade against the Road Warriors ain't no joke and even with Condrey they were a very good team. With all that said I feel The Bulldogs are a better and more dominant team not to mention I'm just a bigger fan of them.

I have to take into consideration the "Cornette" factor. If the Bulldogs can eliminate Corny from the equation then I think they win hands down. However if Cornette were to become a factor I could totally see the Express pulling one out. No Cornette though so I will vote for Davey and Dynamite.

Man, this seeding is a disgrace. One of these teams have to go. Both of these teams have had longevity throughout the years. The difference between Smith and Kid in contrast to Condrey and Eaton, is that they lasted far longer than the Eaton/Condrey version of the Midnights. 3 1/2 years was all this version of the Midnights needed to win a bulk of their 50 straps. The Bulldogs had not only excellence, but longevity as well. It will be close, but the Bulldogs will prevail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back