Championship Region, Fifth Round: (1) John Cena vs. (2) Ric Flair

Who wins this match?

• John Cena

• Ric Flair

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fifth round match in the Championship Region. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Assume everyone is starting fresh. However, damage carries over to the next round.

new-meadowlands-metlife-stadium.jpg

3171c430329aff76b9309faa56006655.png

#1. John Cena

Vs.

flair4.jpg

#2. Ric Flair

Polls will be open for five days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

John Cena, all day. I have compared John Cena to Sting a whole lot over the years, and Sting routinely has handled Ric Flair. At the end of the day, John Cena is Sting, but a whole lot better. Ric Flair isn't going to be able to school boy Cena into a cheap victory, he's not going to make Cena tap to the Figure Four, and he sure won't be able to knock him out with some Brass Knucks. Cena is simply better than Ric Flair, and he should go over here.

Gotta go with the Doctor of Thugonomics in this one.

It's hard for me to say that, Ric is awesome but I can't in good conscience have Flair go over Cena in Jersey, I can't do it. Ric wasn't as popular in the Northeast as he was in other areas of the world, Cena just helped do an 80,000 person house in this very building a week ago so there ya go.

Also Cena is the type of person Ric would happily put over based on his track record alone. Flair didn't fare too well against Hogan in big matches and often put over Sting in big matches as well, Cena probably sits somewhere between Sting and Hogan on the ladder of draws so Ric isn't above losing to Cena. It doesn't hurt that Cena is on home turf either which will help him tremendously.

I see this match long and close which may not help Cena out in the next round but a fresh Cena against Flair shouldn't be a problem for him to pull off a win.

Cena Wins.

A few things to consider here:

1. Endurance wise, there are few that can take the punishment Flair does and still pull out a win. Unfortunately for Flair, he's facing one of those guys in John Cena. We've seen Cena wrestle for an hour in an "anything goes" Ironman match, and still beat Randy Orton, despite Orton having outside interference, and almost blowing Cena up. This is just a standard one on one match, and Flair wouldn't be able to dish out nearly the punishment Cena has received in the past.

2. Flair's finisher is the figure four. How many times has Cena submitted while in his prime? None. Further, Flair in his prime was relatively small when compared to John Cena, so it's fairly conceivable that Cena would be able to power out of the figure four. A chop block or feet on the ropes isn't going to beat Cena either.

3. When it comes to major matches against big heels, nobody has been more successful then John Cena. In standard one on one matches, Cena generally is victorious. CM Punk aside, Cena routinely beat HHH, Edge, Randy Orton, and every other heel in their prime. And the last one on one match against top heel Punk? Cena won. Flair, who routinely lost to bayfaces such as Sting, Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, and Ronny Garvin, would lose to Cena. Like it or not, Cena's a bigger star then any of those names, so he would beat Flair in a "championship region" match 8 times out of 10.

John Cena may very well be on his way to being the greatest Superstar of all-time, if he's not there already. When John Cena lost the majority of his WWE/World Championships, they were in gimmick matches, the result of outside interference, or MITB cash-ins.

Edge d John Cena(reign #1) at NYR 2006: Edge cashed in MITB after Cena retained the WWE Title in the Elimination Chamber.

Rob Van Dam d. John Cena(reign #2) in an Extreme Rules match at ONS 2006 after Edge speared Cena through a table.

John Cena vacated his third title in October 2007 after an injury.

Edge d John Cena and four others(reign #4) inside the Elimination Chamber(2009) when Edge attacked Kofi Kingston and inserted himself into the match

Edge d John Cena(reign #5) at Backlash 2009 in a Last Man Standing Match after Big Show chokeslammed Cena through a spotlight.

Randy Orton d John Cena(reign #6) in a Hell in A Cell match at HIAC 2009.

Sheamus defeated John Cena(reign #7) in a Tables Match at TLC 2009.

Batista d John Cena(reign #8) after John Cena had won the title inside the Elimination Chamber at EC 2010, when a fresh Batista was given a a title shot immediately against an exhausted Cena.

Sheamus d John Cena(reign #9) and two others at Fatal Four Way 2010 after the Nexus attacked Cena and Sheamus pinned Cena.

CM Punk d John Cena(reign #10) at MITB 2011 in a standard one on one match.

CM Punk d John Cena(reign #11) at Summerslam 2011 in a standard one on one match.

Alberto del Rio d John Cena and CM Punk(reign #12) in a triple threat, Hell in a Cell Match at Hell in A Cell 2011.
If you read the spoiler, it becomes obvious that Cena doesn't lose big matches unless there's a gimmick involved, or he's facing CM Punk. And the last two men to truly beat Cena cleanly in a standard one on one match, Punk and the Rock, were defeated by Cena on the Road to Wrestlemania and Wrestlemania itself, the latter for the WWE Title.

There are no gimmicks here. No MITB cash-ins. Outside interference would likely cost Flair this match by DQ. Both men come in fresh, in a standard one on one match. A match that Cena has lost few times in his prime, especially to a heel. Can the same be said for Flair against a top babyface? Absolutely not.

Cena wins this.

Normally I don't chime in on these things at all, but I couldn't resist on this one. Ric Flair wins this, hands down. Flair is on anyone's short list as the greatest of all time. Is Cena? Doubtful. Flair is universally respected. Cena is reviled in some corners. Cena loves wrestling. Flair is wrestling. As for the Jersey thing, Flair made a career of traveling to other territories and winning. And for my final presentation of proof, I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that even John Cena would tell you that Ric Flair should win this match. In conclusion, Flair pulls out a bloody, 60 minute, underhanded win, befitting the dirtiest player in the game.

Normally I don't chime in on these things at all, but I couldn't resist on this one. Ric Flair wins this, hands down. Flair is on anyone's short list as the greatest of all time. Is Cena? Doubtful.

Only someone who doesn't grasp professional wrestling wouldn't have Cena on their short list as the greatest of all time. Cena's been the face of the top company in the world for 8 years, and is a thirteen time World Champion. How does that alone not put him on the list?

Flair is universally respected. Cena is reviled in some corners.

There are people on this site, whose opinion I greatly respect, that don't think that highly of Flair.

I like Punk, and I think Ric Flair is shit.

And that's just one example. Generally speaking, any wrestling fan worth their salt in knowledge respects Cena, even if they don't like him. That's fact.

As for the Jersey thing, Flair made a career of traveling to other territories and winning.

The location here doesn't favor either man, as it's in Jersey, not Boston or NC. It's the match type and each man's track record against the style of opponent they're facing that is, and that heavily favors Cena.

And for my final presentation of proof, I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that even John Cena would tell you that Ric Flair should win this match.

That's not proof, that's pure speculation. Until Cena comes out and says this, I'm not sure how you can present this as "proof". I showed proof in how Cena lost, and how this wouldn't be one of them. You're simply speculating.

In conclusion, Flair pulls out a bloody, 60 minute, underhanded win, befitting the dirtiest player in the game.

Again, I'm not sure how. When Cena has been fresh and wrestled heels in bloody affairs, he's won. There are no gimmicks here, no steel cage's, and Horseman interference would cost Flair the match. He's not defending his championship where interference would save his title by DQ, he's wrestling a match where he would lose by DQ. He would have to wrestle Cena straight, in a standard one-on-one match, and Cena would beat him like he has with every other major heel in those situations.

Flair gets this one and it's a rather easy choice. Flair is arguably the greatest heel of all time and if he isn't the greatest you have to put him top 3 at the very least. Cena as great as he is has lost a lot in his career to guys who couldn't even lace up Flair's boots. Look at some of the guys that Cena has lost to and you will see why Flair can and would win this match up: Tensai, Edge, Punk, RVD, Miz, and Wade Barret have all went over Cena and that's not even the half. Flair consistently went over the top guys in his prime especially on the first time out. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Ric Flair is facing someone who can kick his ass 9 times out of 10 he's going to win the match just look back at history and see everyone that he's went over it's a who's who of the Hall of Fame.

This to me is the most interesting match up of the round. I think Flair should go over here. Flair and Cena both are two of the greatest all time. The argument of Flair's finisher being the figure four and Cena never tapping doesn't hold with me because many a times has Flair gotten a roll up victory with some help of pulling the tights. Flair is definitely the more decorated, but Cena is close. I think Cena will win this, but it is a match that I just think Flair would find a way to win and he has my vote.

I'm going to look at this from a booker's perspective...

First let's discount location. Did Cena just draw 80,000 in this building and win the title? He did. But it's not his "home field".

Now when considering them as far as a draw we have to assume that we have already filled the building. For this one night tournament we have Cena, Bruno, Hogan, Taker, Andre and Flair in their primes. The people have already shilled-out heavily for their tickets. So any long drawn out argument comparing their drawing power(and let's be clear, neither is "clearly" a superior draw to the other) seems irrelevant to booking who goes over.

Next we could move onto prestige. Does one of these men advancing to next round make the next match automatically a bigger deal? I'd say no. Both won more world titles than any other man in his era. To attempt to claim that either flatly doesn't belong amongst a group of four men(the amount that will remain after this first set of contests) vying to be the best of all time is idiocy. Attempting to claim that Flair is somehow justifiably not universally respected amongst intelligent wrestling fans, but then to say in the same breath that to disrespect Cena is blasphemy and calls your knowledge into question is stupidity at its highest. That arrow points both ways. Anyone discounting either is a just trolling and being a hater. Period. So again their resume's shouldn't be a major factor when booking who goes over.

So where do we go from here??
Well we look at the make-up of the card. We know that Bruno should advance, so in NJ that gives us a powerhouse babyface to be the crowd favorite. We may get another guy in that same vein if Hogan advances, and if not we'll get the stoic deadman. Then the other battle will be taken by Andre, which yeilds the side-show like attraction to the next round.

What does that leave the tournament needing as the night rolls on? How about a cocky, charismatic, dirty heel for the crowd to get invested in.

My argument is that Flair advancing to atleast the second round of the night makes for a more complete card, and therefore he is the better decision to go over.

John Cena, all day. I have compared John Cena to Sting a whole lot over the years, and Sting routinely has handled Ric Flair. At the end of the day, John Cena is Sting, but a whole lot better. Ric Flair isn't going to be able to school boy Cena into a cheap victory, he's not going to make Cena tap to the Figure Four, and he sure won't be able to knock him out with some Brass Knucks. Cena is simply better than Ric Flair, and he should go over here.

So a time limit draw and a roll-up pin are handling Ric Flair huh? Wow. Lets not forget Flair beat Sting in Madison Square Garden for the World Title, as well.

And for the points in bold, Flair's won many matches by either a roll-up or brass knucks. And Cena's lost matches by doing dumber things than being rolled up or being hit with objects. He's fell through a table on his own to lose a title, and he mocked Rock's finisher in their first WM match and ended up Rock Bottomed and lost. When the stakes are high, Cena folds. He has nothing to redeem in this match and hasn't seen someone like Flair in his entire career. And where is Cena better than Flair? Drawing money? Nope. Title reigns? No. Big match wins? Nope. And that's mostly what this tournament is based on. And Flair's better than Cena in all of those things.

Flair wins this. He makes Cena look like a much better wrestler than he really is, and ends up with the victory after Cena tries a Figure Four on Flair, only to get rolled up with holding the tights for the 1-2-3 that leaves Flair walking that aisle and Cena staring into the air wondering how he could lose another big match.

Flair in his prime avenged every loss he's ever had and in matches held in major facilities such as football stadiums, he came out on top. Flair went in to big cities, beat their best wrestler and moved on. Many want to compare Cena to Hogan. I say that's bullshit. Compare Cena to Lex Luger during his Lex Express days. Same body type, same disrespect for the business, and same wrestling style. Flair handled Luger in all their matches and in major matches with everything at stake, he wins.

We can argue Cena's prime vs. Flair's prime all day - which favors Flair. Flair made millions in one year time span without merchandise sales, PPV buyrates, and over-exposure on Social Media.

Be fair to Flair and vote him into the Final Four!

Ric Flair all the way. Cena would be like Dusty Rhodes. Dusty was the face chasing Ric Flair. Cena would be chasing Flair for the title. I know Cena has carried the WWE for the last 10 years but Flair was the man for a good 15 years. Starting with 78 winning the US title all the way to 93 winning the title at Starcade. Flair is the dirtiest player in the game and would win this match after about 35 minutes. Vote Flair. When you look at the winner of this touranment. You have top 10 wrestlers of all time. Undertaker, Austin, HBK(I think). Look at the first one Austin,HBK, Flair. Cena isn't in that class. Vote Flair give him what he deserves a winner of this tournament.

Sting never beat Flair until Flair was 41 years old. At the time Sting was 31 years old.

Cena's greatest claim to fame is that he holds the title a lot, he can't hold a candle to what Flair did. Cena is an 11 time WWE Champ who has held the belt for over 1000 days. Impressive no doubt. Yet Flair in 10 reigns had over 3000 days with just the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. But Cena held the WHC as well with two reigns combined for 105 days. Yet Flair held the WWF title longer than that with his two reigns. On yeah, he was the first WCW champ and held that belt 7 times as well for another 500+ days. Cena had that famous 380 day reign. Yet Flair did more than twice that in his best reign.

I think this goes to Cena, this is the big time match Flair made a career of losing. He will look like a million freaking bucks, as will Cena, and the match won't be short, but Cena eats big money matches for breakfast (by that I mean he rarely loses them).

Cena in a half hour classic.

Ric Flair all the way. Cena would be like Dusty Rhodes. Dusty was the face chasing Ric Flair. Cena would be chasing Flair for the title. I know Cena has carried the WWE for the last 10 years but Flair was the man for a good 15 years. Starting with 78 winning the US title all the way to 93 winning the title at Starcade. Flair is the dirtiest player in the game and would win this match after about 35 minutes. Vote Flair. When you look at the winner of this touranment. You have top 10 wrestlers of all time. Undertaker, Austin, HBK(I think). Look at the first one Austin,HBK, Flair. Cena isn't in that class. Vote Flair give him what he deserves a winner of this tournament.

Except the fact that Cena is a bigger draw than Dusty. If that were modern times, ratings would be declining... declining... declining until Cena got the strap. Flair lost ratings during much of his time on top during his time with the NWA. Hulkamania was a much bigger deal, and Cena, even though he's Hogan light, has proven that the revenue needle is affected by his presence. Flair? Not so much.

Except the fact that Cena is a bigger draw than Dusty. If that were modern times, ratings would be declining... declining... declining until Cena got the strap. Flair lost ratings during much of his time on top during his time with the NWA. Hulkamania was a much bigger deal, and Cena, even though he's Hogan light, has proven that the revenue needle is affected by his presence. Flair? Not so much.

So what your saying is that Cena would have been able to stop Hulkamania? Your a bigger idiot than I made you out to be. Nothing was stopping Hulkamania and the fact that the Brisco's sold their shares of the Mid Atlantic territory was a large part of why the NWA was losing steam so fast. The ratings were declining because Vince was buying up the tv slots for wrestling across the country. It had absolutely nothing to do with Flair. Hell, The NWA managed to stay afloat for a while until Flair jumped ship making him even more of a reason to go over here. He was the only thing able to keep the NWA afloat all those years.

Cena's WWE has been losing ratings during much of his time. Hulkamania was bigger than everything. To suggest Flair was never a draw is asinine.

So what your saying is that Cena would have been able to stop Hulkamania? Your a bigger idiot than I made you out to be. Nothing was stopping Hulkamania and the fact that the Brisco's sold their shares of the Mid Atlantic territory was a large part of why the NWA was losing steam so fast. The ratings were declining because Vince was buying up the tv slots for wrestling across the country. It had absolutely nothing to do with Flair. Hell, The NWA managed to stay afloat for a while until Flair jumped ship making him even more of a reason to go over here. He was the only thing able to keep the NWA afloat all those years.

Did you miss the part where I said Cena is Hogan light? Apparently since you don't know how to read. Still doesn't change the fact that Flair lost ratings during his prime, while Cena hasn't. How that translates into Flair being a bigger star than Cena, and beating him here is absolutely beyond me.

Cena's WWE has been losing ratings during much of his time. Hulkamania was bigger than everything. To suggest Flair was never a draw is asinine.

But is the ratings drop all Cena's fault, or is it outside forces that didn't exist when Flair was in his prime? Flair was a draw, just not as big of a draw as Cena.

This is your brain on Cena.

Cena , even though he's Hogan light, has proven that the revenue needle is affected by his presence. Flair? Not so much.

next post said:
Flair was a draw.

Apparently since you don't know how to read. Still doesn't change the fact that Flair lost ratings during his prime, while Cena hasn't.

same post said:
But is the ratings drop all Cena's fault

Stay in school. Vote Flair. The idea that there were no factors that had nothing to do with Flair effecting the NWA is asinine.

Did you miss the part where I said Cena is Hogan light? Apparently since you don't know how to read. Still doesn't change the fact that Flair lost ratings during his prime, while Cena hasn't. How that translates into Flair being a bigger star than Cena, and beating him here is absolutely beyond me.

But is the ratings drop all Cena's fault, or is it outside forces that didn't exist when Flair was in his prime? Flair was a draw, just not as big of a draw as Cena.

First of all, Cena is not Hogan lite. That's a lazy comparison and lazy posting. Now for the fun, You say that Cena didn't lose ratings when responding to me even though he did, yet when responding to Shattered Dreams you acknowledge that he has lost ratings. Again your an idiot make up your mind. As I've stated before, It doesn't matter who is a bigger draw at this stage of the tournament. All of the money that could be made for this event has been made so now it's all down to Kayfabe. Cena loses a lot, Flair almost always comes out on top against the top faces especially those who lose as much as Cena does.

Flair gets this one here after making Cena look like an absolute savage inside of the ring.

First of all, Cena is not Hogan lite. That's a lazy comparison and lazy posting.

Oh? Then whom is he comparable to with his style and his fanbase? Austin? Nope. Rock? Nope. Cena is a bigger star than the likes of Hart/Michaels/Taker so who's left? Hogan.

Now for the fun, You say that Cena didn't lose ratings when responding to me even though he did, yet when responding to Shattered Dreams you acknowledge that he has lost ratings.

I acknowledged that ratings went down, but not that they could be attributed to Cena. Did they have the internet, or TIVO, or an economic collapse during Flair's prime? No? Then ratings going down has more to do with that then Cena lack of ability to draw interest.

Again your an idiot make up your mind. As I've stated before, It doesn't matter who is a bigger draw at this stage of the tournament.

The fans coming to this event are coming to see Flair lose, not win. Or are you going to educate me on how a career heel is going to draw more attention than the biggest face of the modern era?

All of the money that could be made for this event has been made so now it's all down to Kayfabe. Cena loses a lot, Flair almost always comes out on top against the top faces especially those who lose as much as Cena does.

So buyrates don't matter? Would Flair as the winner invoke more people to buy this hypothetical tournament than Cena as the winner? No it wouldn't. Cena doesn't lose as much as Flair; take a gander into the Flair/Inoki thread for plenty of examples. Every big face in Flair's prime and after he has multiple losses to. Cena wouldn't be any different.

Flair gets this one here after making Cena look like an absolute savage inside of the ring.

Cena takes everything that Flair has to offer, transforms into Super Cena at the end, and sends Flair packing with an AA.

Oh? Then whom is he comparable to with his style and his fanbase? Austin? Nope. Rock? Nope. Cena is a bigger star than the likes of Hart/Michaels/Taker so who's left? Hogan.
Why do we have to compare him to anyone? Being John Cena isn't good enough?

I acknowledged that ratings went down, but not that they could be attributed to Cena. Did they have the internet, or TIVO, or an economic collapse during Flair's prime? No? Then ratings going down has more to do with that then Cena lack of ability to draw interest.
Cena doesn't have anyone trying to monopolize on the company that he works for and buying their spots on USA and SyFy.

The fans coming to this event are coming to see Flair lose, not win. Or are you going to educate me on how a career heel is going to draw more attention than the biggest face of the modern era?
He did though. People didn't come to see Buddy Landell and Ron Garvin win, they came to see them defeat Flair. Just like Vince could have put anyone up against Hogan and they would have been hated beyond belief, The NWA could put anyone in as a face against Flair and people would cheer him.

So buyrates don't matter? Would Flair as the winner invoke more people to buy this hypothetical tournament than Cena as the winner? No it wouldn't. Cena doesn't lose as much as Flair; take a gander into the Flair/Inoki thread for plenty of examples. Every big face in Flair's prime and after he has multiple losses to. Cena wouldn't be any different.
You think the winner would be announced before the tournament? Who would buy it then if they knew who the winner was, not a soul. Cena has big losses against every major heel in his prime and even not so major ones. Cena loses a lot more then Flair did in matches that count.

Cena takes everything that Flair has to offer, transforms into Super Cena at the end, and sends Flair packing with an AA.
Have you ever seen a Flair match? I'm assuming you haven't because that's not how it works. Flair goes in uses heel tactics before the face takes over and annihilates Flair. Flair then makes his comeback working on the knee before the finish. In this case the finish would more than likely be Cena getting Flair up for the AA before his knee collapses under him and Flair gets the three count.

Why do we have to compare him to anyone? Being John Cena isn't good enough?

Sure, but even if we play that game he'd still be a better draw than Flair, but less than Hogan.

Cena doesn't have anyone trying to monopolize on the company that he works for and buying their spots on USA and SyFy.

And the NWA lost that battle with Flair on top. I'd say Cena has it worse, trying to lead a major company through an economic collapse, their's no direct competition, and he's the only consistent draw.

He did though. People didn't come to see Buddy Landell and Ron Garvin win, they came to see them defeat Flair.

That's the same thing as watching them come to win :shrug:

Just like Vince could have put anyone up against Hogan and they would have been hated beyond belief, The NWA could put anyone in as a face against Flair and people would cheer him.

And yet the NWA lost ratings... perhaps Flair's reigns shouldn't have been as long.

You think the winner would be announced before the tournament?

The fuck are you talking about?

Who would buy it then if they knew who the winner was, not a soul. Cena has big losses against every major heel in his prime and even not so major ones. Cena loses a lot more then Flair did in matches that count.

No, he hasn't. In a one off tournament determining the best wrestler based on overall quality, Flair surely loses to Cena.

Have you ever seen a Flair match? I'm assuming you haven't because that's not how it works. Flair goes in uses heel tactics before the face takes over and annihilates Flair. Flair then makes his comeback working on the knee before the finish. In this case the finish would more than likely be Cena getting Flair up for the AA before his knee collapses under him and Flair gets the three count.

And how many times have we seen Cena overcome insurmountable odds? Likely countless. This match wouldn't be any different.

Sure, but even if we play that game he'd still be a better draw than Flair, but less than Hogan.
No, he wasn't. Flair drew massive crowds all around the world facing a different opponent every night. Still that's not what we're arguing about

And the NWA lost that battle with Flair on top. I'd say Cena has it worse, trying to lead a major company through an economic collapse, their's no direct competition, and he's the only consistent draw.
How is it Flair's fault that the Brisco's sold their stock in JCP though? How is it his fault that Vince decided to go against the hand shake agreement and buy up the TV slots of the NWA? Flair was the only person anyone came to see throughout the entire NWA at that point, He was the second biggest draw in the world behind Hogan throughout the 80's and was drawing way more then than what Cena does now.

That's the same thing as watching them come to win :shrug:
No it's not. The reactions from the fans were for Flair. They could have sent you in their in a mask and just had you stand in the ring, when Flair walked out from behind the curtain you would have been the biggest face on the entire card.

And yet the NWA lost ratings... perhaps Flair's reigns shouldn't have been as long.
Because their time slots were bought. You can't get ratings if your not on TV. People still came out in droves to see Flair lose.

The fuck are you talking about?

You said that no one would buy this If Flair was the winner (which is stupid in the first place) why would they know who the winner is? This is live on Pay Per View no one knows the results. Everyone who is going to buy the Pay Per View has bought it. Your argument of bigger draw no longer works, not like it's worked in any of the previous threads either though considering you don't know what your talking about.

No, he hasn't. In a one off tournament determining the best wrestler based on overall quality, Flair surely loses to Cena.
The only thing that Cena has on Flair is the look and that's not even by much considering what Flair's gimmick was. We'll use the Bret Hart wrestler rating system just for shits and giggles
Look: Cena, 9 Flair, 8
Ring Ability: Cena 8 Flair 10
Mic: Cena 8.5 Flair 10
Overall: Cena 26.5 Flair 28
And how many times have we seen Cena overcome insurmountable odds? Likely countless. This match wouldn't be any different.
Cena beating the shit out of Flair does not make for insurmountable odds. Cena is exactly the type of guy that Flair would lose to

This is just crazy talk. :lmao:

Cena would out-draw Dusty, but Flair? Absolutely not. Flair's presence on television made a huge difference in whether World Championship Wrestling on TBS would air or not. Flair would show up for promos and the ratings were great. The boom period for the NWA was during Flair's title runs. We're talking selling out arenas in the US, Australia, Japan, Mexico, and Europe. Flair defended his belt everywhere and faced the top babyface in that country and either beat them or made it to a 60 minute draw.

Cena's lost some big time matches and only steps it up when he needs to 'redeem' himself. It's like he has to lose just to win the big one. So he'll lose to Flair, and then next year we can make a case for Cena beating Flair in a 'Redemption' match.

But saying Cena would out-draw Ric Flair is as they say - cooky talk.

is as they say - cooky talk.

Let's talk about cooky talk, shall we? ;)

And for the points in bold, Flair's won many matches by either a roll-up or brass knucks.

The biggest being the figure four. And Cena has never tapped out in his prime, and he won't be doing so to the smaller, less powerful Ric Flair.

He's fell through a table on his own to lose a title,

Which is irrelevant, as this isn't a gimmick match, it's a one on one match.

and he mocked Rock's finisher in their first WM match and ended up Rock Bottomed and lost.

Which was a one time mistake in an eight year prime, which Cena acknowledged as a mistake, and one that he would never make again. And what happened when he faced Rock again? He learned from his mistake, didn't beat himself, and pinned Rock clean.

Cena made a once in a lifetime mistake, one he wouldn't make again against Flair.

When the stakes are high, Cena folds.

Like in his first championship match in his prime against JBL at WM 21? Or how about his main events at Wrestlemania 22 and 23 against HHH and HBK? And let's not forget him facing Edge in a TLC match in Edge's hometown with both the championship and his place on Raw on the line. And then there's his Ironman match with Randy Orton, with the championship and his place on Raw again on the line. And what about his WM 26 match against Batista? Or his match with CM Punk in Raw in February, WWE's top heel, for his spot against Rock for the title at Wrestlemania? And of course, his Wrestlemania main event against Rock two weeks ago for the WWE Title.

Wait, Cena won all of those high stakes matches! I'd say that renders your statement here moot, doesn't it?

He has nothing to redeem in this match and hasn't seen someone like Flair in his entire career.

He won't need to. When Cena has gone one and done with top heels, he's come away victorious. This would be no different.
And where is Cena better than Flair? Drawing money?

Seeing how he's drawn more money for WWE then anyone since Hogan, I would say yes.

Nope. Title reigns? No.

Seeing how Ric Flair didn't win his first WCW Title until he was 32, and Cena won his first at age 28, he's got Flair there. And Flair didn't win title # 13 until he was 45, while Cena won title #13 at age 35. I'd say Cena has Flair there as well.

Big match wins? Nope.

Three Wrestlemania main events, two matches where his career on Raw was on the line, and a record setting 11 WWE Championships don't count as big match wins?

The fact is, Flair has far more big match losses then Cena does. He was handled by Garvin, Sting, Savage, Hogan, Inoki, and Steamboat, amongst others. When Flair met top babyfaces, he routinely lost.

And other then Hogan, there's no bigger face out there then Cena.

And that's mostly what this tournament is based on. And Flair's better than Cena in all of those things.

I just showed how, in all three ways, he's not.

Flair wins this. He makes Cena look like a much better wrestler than he really is, and ends up with the victory after Cena tries a Figure Four on Flair.

Cena would try a figure four on Flair why? Because he tried another wrestler's move once in his 8 year prime? He then admitted his mistake, that he had gotten cocky, and that it wouldn't happen again. And what happened? It didn't, and he won the higher stakes match against the Rock.
only to get rolled up with holding the tights for the 1-2-3 that leaves Flair walking that aisle and Cena staring into the air wondering how he could lose another big match.

Where are you getting this from? Cena rarely loses big matches, and when he does, they're gimmick matches. He's never been beaten in a big match being rolled up, even with hands on the tights, and Flair's not going to be the first to do it.

This is a standard one on one match. It's not a tables match, it's not a No DQ, and Cena is fresh, not ripe for the picking like he was against Edge or Batista. And when Cena faces heels in major one on one matches, he wins.

And for those who want to bring up Punk, he was very much a face by the time he faced Cena at MITB and Summerslam.

Flair in his prime avenged every loss he's ever had and in matches held in major facilities such as football stadiums, he came out on top.

Flair won't have the opportunity to avenge this loss, as it's one and done. So when Cena makes him submit(as FLair's done many times to top babyfaces) or pins him with the AA, he's done. No chance to avenge the loss, he's out.

Many want to compare Cena to Hogan. I say that's bullshit. Compare Cena to Lex Luger during his Lex Express days. Same body type, same disrespect for the business, and same wrestling style. Flair handled Luger in all their matches and in major matches with everything at stake, he wins.

Luger was a freaking fad that lasted a year. Cena has been the face of the company for 8 years and is a 13 time World Champion during that span. Cena's love for the business is well known, and documented, as every major wrestler in WWE has noted Cena as being the hardest working wrestler in the business.

Comparing Cena to Luger is asinine. Cena is a far more diverse and talented wrestler then Luger, has more longevity and time at the top, and has won far more championships. He's been the #1 guy in WWE for 8 years, that's unquestionable. Flair was always jockeying for that spot with Rhodes, Sting, Hogan, Savage, and others.

We can argue Cena's prime vs. Flair's prime all day - which favors Flair.

I'm not sure how, as he's lost major matches to every face he's every faced, and isn't comparable to Cena in terms of his time at the top, his title wins by age span, and doesn't have the success in big one on one matches that Cena does.

Flair made millions in one year time span without merchandise sales, PPV buyrates, and over-exposure on Social Media.

I'm not sure about how much Flair has made will win him a kayfabe match against Cena. And Flair had Horseman and individual t-shirts and major PPV buyrates throughout his career in WCW and WWF, so this statement is flat out wrong.

Cena's lost some big time matches and only steps it up when he needs to 'redeem' himself. It's like he has to lose just to win the big one. So he'll lose to Flair, and then next year we can make a case for Cena beating Flair in a 'Redemption' match.

You seem stuck on the 'Redemption point', but it was a one-time affair against the Rock. The other times Cena has had to 'redeem himself', as you say, was when he lost a gimmick match or was screwed out of a match. Flair wouldn't have that opportunity here, as it's a standard one on one, one and done match, which Cena rarely loses. And certainly not to a top heel, even Ric Flair. Every top heel of the modern era has succumbed to Cena in this type of match, and Flair has lost to every top babyface in these scenarios.

How exactly does this favor Flair in any way?

Be fair to Flair and vote him into the Final Four!

I'm not sure how it would be fair to Flair as he's inferior to Cena in every category that matters with regards to this match.

The only fair vote here goes to John Cena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back