Championship Region, Fifth Round: (1) John Cena vs. (11) Daniel Bryan

Who Wins This Matchup?

• John Cena

• Daniel Bryan

Results are only viewable after voting.
In D Bry's prime which was 2013-14 he beat Cena clean, beat Triple H clean then beat Orton and Batista after fighting off a stretcher in the ME of Wrestlemania 30!

Are people forgetting that Daniel Bryan has lost to two men clean that haven't even won a singles title yet? Does this not count for anything? Or even his clean loss to Dolph Ziggler recently on RAW?

In prime Vs prime Cena LOSES because thats what Cena does.

Daniel Bryan has lost a lot himself too you know. Clean as well. Two of my examples have been against babyfaces with less experience and success than him.

Cena always wins against the top heels but against top baby faces be it Batista

The fact that he beat Batista in three PPV matches in a row overshadows this to be honest. One of which was a Wrestlemania world title match. Three consecutive wins in three world title matches is far more impressive than one win.

Babyface? Clean?

or Bryan I repeat

Well not in Cena's prime. Besides, very few babyfaces have defeated John Cena clean since his first championship win back in 2005.

My vote is for John Cena. 2006 Cena beats 2014 Daniel Bryan 9 times out of 10. I think people are forgetting how dominant Cena was during his first few years in the main event scene.

I took a great dump this morning so I am feeling very empty inside. Fortunately it is Wing Bar day at our office cafeteria so that will be taken care of soon enough. By the way, as great as the dump was it still smelled like this tournament.

Aside from the excrement talk, I am intrigued by this Wing Bar. I assume it is an assortment of wings and/or sauces. The possibilities are endless. Please explain more.

On topic. Nikki looks way better than Brie on the Muscle Fitness Magazine so that another Yes! for Johnny Boy.

In D Bry's prime which was 2013-14

See this is what bothers me about the whole Prime vs. Prime thing. If your prime is only a one year period, what business do you have going over a guy who has arguably been in his prime for nearly a decade?

I mean fuck, just look at where they are now. Cena, while certainly having taken a step back recently, has only had one clean loss since then and it was to Brock fucking Lesnar. Meanwhile, Daniel has lost clean to Bray Wyatt which isn't anything to scoff at but he's also jobbed out to Roman Reigns and Dolph fucking Ziggler.

I like Daniel quite a bit but he shouldn't go over Cena due to a one time (failed, by the way) experiment.

Aside from the excrement talk, I am intrigued by this Wing Bar. I assume it is an assortment of wings and/or sauces. The possibilities are endless. Please explain more.

It is not so elaborate. Just wings and a choice of Buffalo style, BBQ sauce, or honey mustard. The wings are pretty good. A little too heavily breaded but they still hit the spot. But the important thing here is that you vote for Daniel Bryan because it is clear that he could out eat John Cena in a Chix Wing eating contest. His beard could be a buffer for collecting hot sauce and not suffering the full effect of gastrointestinal pains.

Point Bryan, ignoring the whole vegetarian BS.

On topic. Nikki looks way better than Brie on the Muscle Fitness Magazine so that another Yes! for Johnny Boy.

I've never told anyone this before but I've decided this topic has become irrelevant because WWE does not include Nikki and Cena's relationship on Raw and Nikki vs Brie is not an argument I can use to help Bryan's case.

The Daniel Bryan voters are basing this vote on the fact he beat John Cena...oh & Triple H, Randy Orton & Batista too. All clean by the way

John Cena beat all those guys too. And Daniel Bryan. All clean.

Funny that...because that's what we're voting for Bryan for. Not the last year per se, but a specific period of time where without a doubt, Daniel Bryan would've beaten John Cena. This year, in the WZT, he can/will do it again.

So Cena's win over Bryan when Bryan was in a higher position doesn't count?

So, just like he has done before...Daniel Bryan will hit Cena with the Knee Plus (it's a cool name), then move on to the next round. Shame the next round isn't a triple threat, huh?.

Cena will hit Bryan with the AA...just like he has done before and come out victorious.

Bryan is an indy/IWC darling, but I'm still baffled at how far he has made it in this tournament, and the fact that the vote is this close so far. I'm not seeing any main arguments from Bryan supporters besides the fact that he beat Cena at Summerslam. As mentioned, he lost to Orton within minutes after his victory.

Cena is a 15 time world champ, who's now giving back to the business by putting over younger talent. I think it's absurd to vote for Bryan because of 1 match victory at Summerslam, when Cena obliterates Bryan in almost every category imaginable. Many feel Bryan is a way better wrestler, which I find extremely subjective. The 5 moves of doom argument is weak, and the majority of Bryan's offense is kicks.

I can understand if people vote Bryan because of personal preference. Otherwise, I can't see how anybody objectively thinks this goes to Bryan. Bryan had a great 9 month run culminating at WM30, but it ended rather quickly due to his injuries. If Bryan was truly a mega-star like Cena, he would be rocketed right back to the top of the card. A good 1 year prime run by Bryan doesn't negate 10+ years of Cena dominance in anyway.

Voting Cena is the logical decision here.

Bryan is an indy/IWC darling, but I'm still baffled at how far he has made it in this tournament, and the fact that the vote is this close so far. I'm not seeing any main arguments from Bryan supporters besides the fact that he beat Cena at Summerslam. As mentioned, he lost to Orton within minutes after his victory.

Apparently beating the guy he is facing in the only big match they have had is irrelevant, but somehow taking a pedigree after the match and then losing to a cash in is supposed to be important?:banghead:

The only part that mattered here was that he did in fact beat Cena in the only big match they have ever had. In fact, of the 15 world heavyweight championship matches Cena has had, he has only lost them clean 3 times. One of those 3 times was to Bryan. As much as Cena may be the overall bigger star, he has not proven himself against Bryan.

Vote Bryan.

Such a boring choice for a match. Thesz versus Sammartino, or at least one being involved, would have had more interesting potential for the rest of the tournament. Instead we get... blah.

I'm voting Bryan for the exact same reason that Yokozuna beat Hulk Hogan... because that's what happened when they met in real life. Some people won't like that reasoning? Too bad. I could really care less about this match.

Daniel Bryan supporters, can you please give me a reason you are voting for Bryan other than the fact that he defeated an out of prime John Cena, for a title he has only defended once successfully against Kane?

So were just going to ignore that in the infamous matchup that is giving DB the lead that Cena had an elbow the size of a tennis ball and was out for months afterwords fixing it? Forget whether it's Cenas prime. It's Cena injured.

A healthy Cena and a healthy Daniel Bryan? Cena wins that 100 times out of 100.

So were just going to ignore that in the infamous matchup that is giving DB the lead that Cena had an elbow the size of a tennis ball and was out for months afterwords fixing it? Forget whether it's Cenas prime. It's Cena injured.

A healthy Cena and a healthy Daniel Bryan? Cena wins that 100 times out of 100.

John Cena cut a promo the night after SummerSlam and said he was 100 percent in that match and that Daniel Bryan beat him clean, no if ands or buts.

When it comes down to it John Cena has lost to top babyfaces in big matches more times than not. Cena has lost to CM Punk, The Rock, Batista, Triple H (when he was a face) and Daniel Bryan, most of those matches were the first time he wrestled those guys as well. Daniel Bryan has shown he is capable of beating Cena and Cena has shown he has trouble beating top babyfaces.

Vote: Daniel Bryan

Cena has lost to CM Punk,

This was hardly clean. Don't you remember the incident with Laurinaitis? Watch their match on RAW in 2013, you'll see Cena pinning Punk clean without weapons, interference or any other shenanigans.

the The Rock,

Don't exclude Cena beating The Rock the year after.

Didn't Cena injure his neck after taking a Batista Bomb? If he hadn't, perhaps he could have kicked out. But aside from that match at SummerSlam, Cena beat Batista at Wrestlemania 26, Extreme Rules and also Over The Limit. That's three PPVs in a row, all in which the WWE Championship was on the line.

Daniel Bryan,

Like I said before, his arm was injured and he had passed his prime. Obviously he's going to say he was 100%. He's like the biggest good guy ever. What, is he going to say "oh I lost because I wasn't in my best form" or make other excuses? The arm was definitely a factor. If it wasn't, he would not have gotten surgery shortly after.

Daniel Bryan has shown he is capable of beating Cena

Cena has shown he is capable of beating Bryan as he's done so before. More times than Bryan has beaten Cena. But let's not overlook the fact that Bryan has lost clean to two men which haven't even won a singles title (Reigns and Wyatt) and that he recently lost clean on RAW to Dolph Ziggler. This is a guy with a lot more experience than the three of them and lost. Clean.

This was hardly clean. Don't you remember the incident with Laurinaitis? Watch their match on RAW in 2013, you'll see Cena pinning Punk clean without weapons, interference or any other shenanigans.

Don't exclude Cena beating The Rock the year after.

Didn't Cena injure his neck after taking a Batista Bomb? If he hadn't, perhaps he could have kicked out. But aside from that match at SummerSlam, Cena beat Batista at Wrestlemania 26, Extreme Rules and also Over The Limit. That's three PPVs in a row, all in which the WWE Championship was on the line.

Like I said before, his arm was injured and he had passed his prime. Obviously he's going to say he was 100%. He's like the biggest good guy ever. What, is he going to say "oh I lost because I wasn't in my best form" or make other excuses? The arm was definitely a factor. If it wasn't, he would not have gotten surgery shortly after.

Cena has shown he is capable of beating Bryan as he's done so before. More times than Bryan has beaten Cena. But let's not overlook the fact that Bryan has lost clean to two men which haven't even won a singles title (Reigns and Wyatt) and that he recently lost clean on RAW to Dolph Ziggler. This is a guy with a lot more experience than the three of them and lost. Clean.

What you seem to be forgetting is the first bout between Cena and Rock is the one people will remember, it was billed as once in a lifetime the second match was just to get the title off Rock and give Cena a victory over a big name, it didn't have the same atmosphere and wasn't something fans were excited about. The other times John Cena beat Batista he was a heel not a face, the point I'm making is John Cena usually chokes in big matches against top babyfaces when the stakes are high. History speaks for itself, The Rock vs. John Cena (Once in a Lifetime) Cena chokes, Batista vs. John Cena (First time the two biggest babyfaces of the PG Era collide) Cena chokes, John Cena vs. CM Punk (Punk threatens to leave with the WWE Title) Cena chokes, John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan (First round in the championship region against someone as over as Daniel Bryan?) Cena...well you get the point.

What you seem to be forgetting is the first bout between Cena and Rock is the one people will remember, it was billed as once in a lifetime the second match was just to get the title off Rock and give Cena a victory over a big name, it didn't have the same atmosphere and wasn't something fans were excited about. The other times John Cena beat Batista he was a heel not a face, the point I'm making is John Cena usually chokes in big matches against top babyfaces when the stakes are high. History speaks for itself, The Rock vs. John Cena (Once in a Lifetime) Cena chokes, Batista vs. John Cena (First time the two biggest babyfaces of the PG Era collide) Cena chokes, John Cena vs. CM Punk (Punk threatens to leave with the WWE Title) Cena chokes, John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan (First round in the championship region against someone as over as Daniel Bryan?) Cena...well you get the point.

But in this situation, it's not a big time match. This is as Thrash said, "the first round of the three match tournament." Besides, aren't you forgetting his victories over Lesnar after he returned he returned from the UFC or both Triple H and Shawn Michaels in Wrestlemania main events? They were indeed, big time matches. As was the Batista match which was at Wrestlemania. That speaks for itself.

If you want to to talk about history, Cena had beaten The Rock and Punk in rematches after a defeat. Wouldn't that suggest that the same will happen here?

But in this situation, it's not a big time match. This is as Thrash said, "the first round of the three match tournament." Besides, aren't you forgetting his victories over Lesnar after he returned he returned from the UFC or both Triple H and Shawn Michaels in Wrestlemania main events? They were indeed, big time matches. As was the Batista match which was at Wrestlemania. That speaks for itself.

If you want to to talk about history, Cena had beaten The Rock and Punk in rematches after a defeat. Wouldn't that suggest that the same will happen here?

Brock Lesnar wasn't 100 percent when John Cena beat him and it doesn't matter since Brock Lesnar has two clean victories over John Cena for that one loss, Triple H beat Cena clean a few years down the line, Shawn Michaels beat John Cena clean on RAW not too long after. Besides Triple H and Brock Lesnar were heels in those matches and Shawn Michaels could barely beat Vince McMahon the WrestleMania prior to one where he faced Cena. I'm not denying Cena's ablity to beat top heels or wrestlers past their prime but he hasn't done too well against babyfaces. John Cena has spent years trading back and fourth victories with the likes of Orton, Batista and Triple H, Daniel Bryan beat all three in the same night.

The way I see this match going down is the way a typical John Cena match goes down, the crowd is electric fifty percent of them chanting YES! twenty five percent of them chanting "Let's go Cena" and another twenty five percent of them chanting "Cena sucks." They put on a clinic, lots of back and fourth action, near falls and lots of finishers landed, John Cena hits his 3rd Attitude Adjustment on Daniel Bryan and is just about the secure a victory, when all of sudden an overly excited Daniel Bryan fan in the front row jumps the barricade, enters the ring and starts doing the YES! chant distracting Cena long enough for Daniel Bryan to hit the running knee and pin Cena. John Cena gracefully exists the tournament and the following night cuts a promo about respecting Daniel Bryan and him being the better man, all leading up to generic monster heel #383920 coming out and attacking Cena, starting his next feud which will probably follow the same blueprint as the one I stated.

Brock Lesnar wasn't 100 percent when John Cena beat him and it doesn't matter since Brock Lesnar has two clean victories over John Cena for that one loss,

Two clean victories? Watch their match Night Of Champions, Cena would have won had Rollins not interfered.

Triple H beat Cena clean a few years down the line, Shawn Michaels beat John Cena clean on RAW not too long after. Besides Triple H and Brock Lesnar were heels in those matches and Shawn Michaels could barely beat Vince McMahon the WrestleMania prior to one where he faced Cena. I'm not denying Cena's ablity to beat top heels or wrestlers past their prime but he hasn't done too well against babyfaces.

When I spoke about Cena beating Punk, Batista and The Rock, you said he didn't do it at matches with a big atmosphere. So does that mean when I do raise those matches, you're allowed to refer to a few episodes of RAW and a "B-PPV?"

John Cena has spent years trading back and fourth victories with the likes of Orton, Batista and Triple H, Daniel Bryan beat all three in the same night.

So if Bryan actually fought these top stars more often, wouldn't he have more losses perhaps? Let's be honest, he had a few matches with Orton, one match with Cena, Batista and also Triple H. If he actually fought more top stars and more often, there's a higher chance he would have lost. Consider why he doesn't get the big matches Cena does and why he's holding the Intercontinental Championship.

Two clean victories? Watch their match Night Of Champions, Cena would have won had Rollins not interfered.

When I spoke about Cena beating Punk, Batista and The Rock, you said he didn't do it at matches with a big atmosphere. So does that mean when I do raise those matches, you're allowed to refer to a few episodes of RAW and a "B-PPV?"

So if Bryan actually fought these top stars more often, wouldn't he have more losses perhaps? Let's be honest, he had a few matches with Orton, one match with Cena, Batista and also Triple H. If he actually fought more top stars and more often, there's a higher chance he would have lost. Consider why he doesn't get the big matches Cena does and why he's holding the Intercontinental Championship.

I am with you, Bryan was supposed to job to Cena in last Raw but he was not fully fit ,Wade ended up jobbing to Cena just like in last Summer slam Cena jobbed to Lesner because of Bryan health problem.
This should be counted against Bryan, I mean how do you know he is fit enough to fight Cena right now in this round.

Brock Lesnar wasn't 100 percent when John Cena beat him and it doesn't matter since Brock Lesnar has two clean victories over John Cena for that one loss

May need to watch that Cena promo again as he never said he was 100 percent. One of those clean wins happened in 2003.

Triple H beat Cena clean a few years down the line,

A few years after Cena made HHH tap out at Wrestlemania.

Shawn Michaels beat John Cena clean on RAW not too long after

A few weeks after Cena made him tap out at Wrestlemania.

The way I see this match going down is the way a typical John Cena match goes down, the crowd is electric fifty percent of them chanting YES! twenty five percent of them chanting "Let's go Cena" and another twenty five percent of them chanting "Cena sucks." They put on a clinic, lots of back and fourth action, near falls and lots of finishers landed, John Cena hits his 3rd Attitude Adjustment on Daniel Bryan and is just about the secure a victory, when all of sudden an overly excited Daniel Bryan fan in the front row jumps the barricade, enters the ring and starts doing the YES! chant distracting Cena long enough for Daniel Bryan to hit the running knee and pin Cena. John Cena gracefully exists the tournament and the following night cuts a promo about respecting Daniel Bryan and him being the better man, all leading up to generic monster heel #383920 coming out and attacking Cena, starting his next feud which will probably follow the same blueprint as the one I stated.

He can be chanting Yes while Cena pins Bryan for the win. The look on his face would be epic.

See this is what bothers me about the whole Prime vs. Prime thing. If your prime is only a one year period, what business do you have going over a guy who has arguably been in his prime for nearly a decade?

I mean fuck, just look at where they are now. Cena, while certainly having taken a step back recently, has only had one clean loss since then and it was to Brock fucking Lesnar. Meanwhile, Daniel has lost clean to Bray Wyatt which isn't anything to scoff at but he's also jobbed out to Roman Reigns and Dolph fucking Ziggler.

I like Daniel quite a bit but he shouldn't go over Cena due to a one time (failed, by the way) experiment.

Everybody judges with some criteria that finally convinces them to vote. We take primes, drawing, legacy, location, stip into consideration.

Thing with Cena is, he has a record of being beaten by the upcoming babyface. If this was some big heel like H or Billy Graham; Cena all the way.

But Cena loses to the next big face

D Bry has faced and beaten Cena clean, the cleanest of clean

The Brock that is running rampant this year in the WZT is ALL because of his last year, if we are giving that advantage to him after 365 days of being the man and voting out a mega super star like Austin, why not Bryan's epic run!

It was nuts, good god his run was amazing!

So drop what you are doing and watch these. I have been a fan for long and my god we talk about pops, big pops and monster pops DO NOT disregard the magic with this man. These are reactions I have honestly not seen in the PG era almost night after night for one man. Sure Punk was great, but people went maniacal here:

[YOUTUBE]UsESZMBJhXw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ttiGTC5B2gg[/YOUTUBE]

I get them goosebumps at the buildup to that knee strike to Wyatt.

I voted for Cena. Of course, arguments from both sides are filled with flaws, and ridiculous assumptions because this such a contentious match up. And I swear, I almost voted for Bryan just to spite some of the Cena fans in here.

Cena has had a better career, and has a bigger collection of greater matches. But let's be fair to Bryan. He was the only guy to ever come close to touching Cena. At Bryan's hottest, the reactions he was getting could match some of Cena's hottest reactions. Do not undersell what Bryan has done.

But 10 months of being white hot doesn't topple 10 of being the biggest star in pro wrestling. So despite the stupid people who undercut Bryan to protect their guy, I have to go with Cena.

It seems to me that the only argument people have for DB is his Summerslam victory and even though it has been brought up that Cena wasn't at his peak prime people are dismissing it.

August 6th 2012 on an episode of RAW, John Cena beat Daniel Bryan in a one-on-one match. That makes their series against each other 1-1. And before you say DB wasn't at his peak prime, you can't have it both ways. DB at that point was just a few months removed from an over 100 day World Title reign so he wasn't exactly a jobber then.

Another thing being brought up against Cena is his losses to other top faces.

1. Cena's losses to Batista, Punk, and Bryan all came in 2008 and after. The Batista loss was over three years after Cena won his first WWE title. For his first three years as a main eventer he was dominant and rarely loss.

2. DB has lost to Dolph Ziggler multiple times and lost to Roman Reigns so he loses to top faces as well and Reigns and Ziggler certainly aren't on the level yet of Batista and CM Punk.

But Cena loses to the next big face

D Bry has faced and beaten Cena clean, the cleanest of clean

Daniel Bryan is not the next big face. That has been made abundantly clear. He is a popular superstar, but he is not the face of the franchise.

John Cena is. He has been for the past 10 years. Hell, Cena is the one who brought Daniel Bryan back after he was kicked out of the Nexus. Unless you believe The Hurricane is better than The Rock, that one Bryan win does not mean he will always beat Cena.

With Cena there have been alternates propped that have beaten Cena to see if they sink or swim once they get that big win. D Bry moved onto a major storyline post his win.

The thing with Cena is we are still in his prime because his run has been one of a kind. For 10 years he has been the man but people have popped up who can take the mantle of the traditional much beloved babyface. D Bry was a hopeful, his injury didnt really let us see where it goes but he was the guy for his run.

So these guys have faced each other in their primes, and Cena lost clean.

It seems to me that the only argument people have for DB is his Summerslam victory and even though it has been brought up that Cena wasn't at his peak prime people are dismissing it.

August 6th 2012 on an episode of RAW, John Cena beat Daniel Bryan in a one-on-one match. That makes their series against each other 1-1. And before you say DB wasn't at his peak prime, you can't have it both ways. DB at that point was just a few months removed from an over 100 day World Title reign so he wasn't exactly a jobber then.

Another thing being brought up against Cena is his losses to other top faces.

1. Cena's losses to Batista, Punk, and Bryan all came in 2008 and after. The Batista loss was over three years after Cena won his first WWE title. For his first three years as a main eventer he was dominant and rarely loss.

Edge beat him at SSlam 06

Umaga pinned him on Raw

RVD pinned him at ONS 2006

Shawn Micheals pinned him in London

Great Khali pinned him at Saturday Night's Main Event in 2007

Cena has a history of losing to big, dominant names of the time.

Actually, Cena has indeed passed his prime. He's clearly slowed down in the ring and it's been reflected by losing more often than before. I mean this past February was the first time he had lost by submission in over 10 years.

Furthermore, from all of those matches you mentioned, only one was a clean loss which was against HBK. Bear in mind he had also made Michaels submit at Wrestlemania.

Now, Bryan isn't a heel is he? So he's not exactly going to cheat in anyway to beat him so the odds aren't really in his favour given that Cena has lost very few times clean.

In addition, Bryan has lost clean countless times. Three that stand out to me are his losses to Reigns, Wyatt and Ziggler which no one has addressed yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back