• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chael Sonnen's Suspension Reduced

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
After a near three-hour hearing before the California State Athletic Commission UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen's 12-month suspension was cut in half for his non-disclosure of his prescribed testosterone UFC 117 championship bout with Anderson Silva.

Sonnen's legal team gave evidence showing that Sonnen has been undergoing testosterone replacement therapy via twice weekly injections of a synthetic version of the hormone since 2008 under the care of his physician, who also testified to the same.

During testimony, Sonnen said that he had been embarrassed to disclose that he was suffering from hypogonadism, which is characterized by low testosterone levels due to malfunction of his testicles during a fighter's meeting in which the participants of the card congregate to fill out necessary paperwork in the days prior to the bout. He also revealed that he did not reach puberty until early adulthood and that he did not care to relive the ridicule that he endured as a child because of it.

The Team Quest fighter explained under oath that he was also under the impression that he had gained clearance in 2009 from the CSAC when he alleges that his treating physician sent in proof of his condition and blood tests showing his depleted testosterone levels to the commission. Sonnen contended that received back the go-ahead from a physician he believed to be a representative of the governing body, who also was involved in his pre-fight medical examination. He admitted during the hearing that he later learned that the physician in question was actually employed by the UFC and that his misunderstanding compounded the confusion about his medical clearance.

Chael's council contended that the Oregon native did not try to hide his use of testosterone as he listed it on his pre-drug screening form, but three of the five commissioners who voted (CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd who testified for the State did not vote and a second commissioner left the hearing early to catch a plane out of state) felt that by failing to disclose to the CSAC physician that administered his pre-fight medical exam, Sonnen knowingly broke the rules and thus only reduced his suspension in half, while maintaining his originally prescribed $2,500 fine.

As he has already served three months of his suspension, Sonnen will be eligible to return to action in just prior to UFC 128 in Abu Dhabi on March 19.

FUCK YES.

This is so awesome. Sure the CSAC is completely inept, and the reason why they probably reduced Sonnen's suspsension was because they threatened a lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Also, Chael claims he never went through puberty... a voice explained.

Anyway, the suspension has been reduced, and now Sonnen is set to go in March. He missed out on the Silva rematch, however, I think he should be booked in a #1 Contenders fight ASAP against Yushin Okami, with the winner getting a title fight.

Either that, or do a season of TUF with Sonnen trolling Bisping non-stop.

So, so glad that Chael's suspension got lifted though.

What does the future hold for him?

I would much prefer to see Sonnen fight Bisping and possibly coach TUF, rather then see him fight Okami again. TUF would be a perfect build up for him and to get to see him beat the ever loving shit out of Bisping would make me very happy. All of the trash talk would be amazing and if got to see anything close to the way Hendo destroyed Bisping then it would be well worth it. Plus it could easily be set up that TUF would just be a jumping pad for the next title shot after Okami.

Much Like Indy said I think that Chael Sonnen would be amazing as a personality on TUF series but he also walks in with a great wrestling pedigree. As for an opponent and opposite coach it should be Okami, yes he has already beaten Yushin but Yushin just overcame Nate and should be close to the #1 Contender spot in his own right. Besides that Okami is a different fighter now and is much more willing to engage.

I would much prefer to see Sonnen fight Bisping and possibly coach TUF, rather then see him fight Okami again.

Agreed with Jon here 100%.

Okami was already promised a title shot, and he should receive it. I think even Chael Sonnen himself, as a personal friend of Okami's, would agree with me on that one. You listen to Sonnen talk before he got his shot at the UFC Middleweight Championship, he continuously bitched and moaned about being over-looked constantly by Anderson and Rich Franklin for a shot at the title, so I doubt he would want the same thing to happen to Okami.

So, yeah... Sonnen vs. Bisping, definitely is what should go down. Let them coach TUF, and it'll be the greatest, most hilarious season of TUF ever. And then seeing Sonnen smash Bisping's face at the end of it would be glorious.

Also, while I'm sure most people will look at that puberty thing as a joke, how fucking impressive is it that a man who never went through puberty could accomplish what Chael accomplished in Amateur Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts? It makes me respect him even more.

On a personal level I think this might give Chael more of a push in his confidence. He's a great fighter, but also has quite a few losses under his belt. But when your that good of a fighter, who cares when you were able to talk in a bass voice or grow a little chin hair. No one should judge in the ufc or any other fighing group on human things like that. You should be judged on your training and what you've done in the cage.

A question for him though, why would you not tell Dana about this. So shit like this wouldn't happen. I'm sure he did, but with the very air tight rules about steriods and testosterone shots why would you leave that to chance? It should have been first priority for him to have legal documented papers in his hands at all post fight tests. Therefore you wouldn't have to set infront of a judge for three hours or even think about it. As said before, who cares if you have that disease. Will anyone really question you about it?

As said I do also believe a Tuf is in store for Chael, a future date should be set for him and Bisping. I don't think he and Okami should fight Chael . I believe if Okami gets beat another fighter should take his role as #1 contender, maybe a new fighter will come into show by the time Chael gets back. I deffinalty still see him as a major threat to the spider.

First and foremost, let's just get this one out of the way:

He also revealed that he did not reach puberty until early adulthood and that he did not care to relive the ridicule that he endured as a child because of it.

Man... Not going to lie, that takes major balls to come out with. You have to feel for the guy, because you can only assume that there's going to be some idiot to heckle him everywhere he goes.

Now then, business at hand. It's been said, but give him a match with Bisping. As for being on TUF, sure, I can see that myself. Though, I mean, he's going to be in a testosterone overloaded house, with guys who probably aren't the most intelligent in the world. Methinks that's not going to end that well. Still, if he wants to be a coach, I think he'd be a wonderful coach. There's no point in fighting Okami, at least until Okami gets his Title Shot. Then, maybe you could give him an Okami fight, or how about another fight with Marquardt? I'd personally like to see another fight from them, that's just me. But yeah, don't throw him with Okami immediately. Give him something else to do

I'm in with everyone else that says let him be a Coach for the next TUF with Bisping being the other. Dana has said he doesn't have coaches picked yet, this would make perfect sense, with the winner getting a title shot after Okami. Even though Rivera is booked to fight Bisping in Feb. theres more than enough time to find a replacement by then. A Sonnen/Bisping TUF would score some high numbers in ratings that's for sure. Although it wouldn't surprise if Dana pitted Sonnen against Okami with the winner getting the next title shot, we know Dana has no problem bumping people from their title shots, just ask Fitch about that!

It's just good to see that Sonnen wasn't juicing to gain an edge, he didn't seem like the type that would. Right after the story broke that he failed the test, he stated that he told them he would before the fight, now we know why for sure now.

Well this is nothing but good news. I completely agree with a season of TUF with Chael and Bisping why the fuck not, imagine the verbal beatings that would be dished out all ending with Bisping getting his face pounded in. One thing maybe is Bisping hasa fight against Rivera in Feb Australia. (yeah baby)

How about you pit a returning Wanderlei Silva against Chael Sonnen imagine that. Honestly Chael went from somebody we hardly knew to such a superstar in MMA as he was so good at marketing himself. So Wanderlei vs Chael how about it guys?

So glad to hear about this news. Man I was literally over the moon. I think this, although Sonnen still has a punishment is a moral victory. The not going through Puberty thing is brave man but his voice is still awesome now that we know the truth. He should DEFINITELY do TUF with Bisping. He could bring in Team Quest to help him train fighters and Bisping and him would be amazing trash talking each other. Im looking forward to seeing him return sooner rather than later. Fuck yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back