CFB Network

Would You Watch Programming On A CFB Network

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

scomvp316

Getting Noticed By Management
I am a huge College Football fan and when I go to certain games each year I still hear fans wanting a College Football Network. Regular Season ratings for CFB are at an all-time high. The ratings during the bowl season are as much as 50% less not counting the BCS Bowls where the ratings are down 33% compared to the regular season. Within a few years finally CFB will be getting a playoff system. It may not be a perfect playoff format but definetly a giant step in the right direction. We have seen both FOX and ESPN over the last five years triple their amount of CFB programming and in certain parts of the country CFB is competitive with the NFL. I think even the most loyal NFL fan can admit since the early 80's CFB has been like the developmental league for the NFL. With both UFC and WWE at some point wanting their own network and the success of NFL and NHL Networks I think its time for CFB to get their own network. Every couple of years FOX and ESPN have preliminary talks about a joint effort of creating a CFB Network. Just about every conference know has their own network and about 10 top tier CFB Programs have their own network which is either available regionally or through online. There are alot of logistics that would have to be worked out both from a contractual obligations with networks and if this network was to work it mustn't compete with conference networks. I do think the best scenario if this network was to ever be created must be controlled by ESPN. There is a strong sentiment that through the next negotiation CBS may lose their contract to show SEC games and ESPN would get the rights to SEC Football. I do think this network would be much bigger than the NHLN and could compete with the NFLN. I do think the NFLN is untouchable but CFBN could compete very well. Watching CFB all year around is something alot of fans would want and I think is what us CFB Junkies need.

I would love a CFB network. It'd sure make watching the games easier. I like college a lot more than the NFL so if the NFL has its own network, why can't college football have the same?

Highly doubtful this ever happens. It's easy with the pro leagues because they all operate under the league umbrella and nothing else. With all of the different conferences in college football and the fact that some of these conferences already have their own network (Big Ten Network, Pac 12 Network) it just isn't plausible. Not to mention the fact that there are already double digit networks that air college football games as it is. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, FSN, Fox College Sports, CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports Network, etc. When it comes to the college only networks like ESPNU and Fox College Sports, 90% of their coverage is dedicated to just football for the majority of the season as it is. Not only is a College Football Network unlikely, it is also unneeded.

Actually the conferences do have to follow NCAA standards so even though most conferences have their own network they must follow what the NCCA dictates because if that wasn't the case certain conferences would have different academic standards which every college or university must follow NCAA's academic guidelines for possiblity of athletic participation. If there wasn't any demand conferences would never offer their own network via cable/satellite and online. Ad Revenues in the last five years for CFB has surpassed the NFL. There is high demand for more CFB especially leading into the 2014 Season the first year of a CFB Playoff. Over the last five years FOX and ESPN have added CFB programming each year and next year ESPN plans on airing more SEC Games Nationally. In 2016 SEC will be launching their own network nationally which will be a game changer for all conferences. Also schools such as Southern Cal,Notre Dame,Nebraska,and UMiami will be launching their regional network nationally. Their is no doubt if this network was to launch they would be the #2 Sports Network behind NFLN. This network wouldn't just have games on it but if ESPN was behind the production it would be very successful. Over the last decade in what was known as hot NFL Markets CFB has cut into the NFL's dominance. Even if the NFL was to put a team back in LA Trojans rule that town for football even when the Rams were successful Trojans were still the kings of football in LA. This network could work because I do think the NFL in the next five years will purchase more CFB Games to be aired on the NFLN. The grand scheme of things the NFL would have two networks with one dedicated to CFB. Just look at the tv contracts for CFB and they rival both MLB and NFL!

Actually the conferences do have to follow NCAA standards so even though most conferences have their own network they must follow what the NCCA dictates because if that wasn't the case certain conferences would have different academic standards which every college or university must follow NCAA's academic guidelines for possiblity of athletic participation. If there wasn't any demand conferences would never offer their own network via cable/satellite and online.

Television rights and academics are two completely different things. The NCAA used to have control of the television rights to college football games but lost those rights after the Supreme Court ruling in NCAA vs Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma. That's why the individual conferences (and some individual teams) are able to have their own networks and are able to negotiate with specific channels to televise their games.

I also never said there wasn't a demand for college football, I was simply stating that the number of networks that showcase college football games is already in double digits. Not to mention the fact that college sports channels like ESPNU and Fox Sports Network are already dedicated mainly to college football while the season is taking place. ESPNU even shows some teams spring games and off season practices.

CFB has never been more popular now than ever before. Thats one reason why we will see a playoff format in 2014. The ratings during the bowl season overall is low and the best year recently for the bowls from a rating standpoint was 04. The one area the NCAA regulates for the conferences is some share of revenue sharing. NCAA doesn't dictate what the % should be they leave that up to the conferences but revenue sharing is the only guideline NCAA requests. Its projected in 2016 SEC will get their own national network and I do think that will be the ultimate game changer. SEC is the most popular football conference for both the CFB and NFL fan. Like I have mentioned in a previous post CFB popularity has cut into certain NFL markets that were at one time untouchable. It would be interesting if some sort of survey was taken by CFB and NFL fans if they would watch a CFBN. My question to any football fan would be if they weren't interested in a CFBN what would be the major reason for that? Also I would love to hear some feedback if anyone was to watch programming on a CFBN what would they like to see?

Don't they have The Big-10, SEC, ACC, Pac-12 networks? Granted, yes those networks are affiliated with the schools within each conference but that's probably the best us NCAA fans will get. I know that the big-10 network is aweful, i used to live in Detroit and rarely would any football be shown. Everything is/was about the history of the big-10 and what not. But yeah the closest thing we will probably get is the current conference networks. I doubt we will ever see a CFB network. I would want that but I can't get my hopes up that easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back