Cena VS Orton Yet Again?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Wrestlemania XXXIII' started by Jack-Hammer, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

John Cena captured his 16th World Championship at the Royal Rumble and Randy Orton won the Royal Rumble match itself. Cena defends in the Elimination Chamber in 2 weeks and while he could drop the title there, I think it's unlikely. As a result, unless the winner gets to decide which title he goes after rather than the title that's part of whichever brand he's assigned to, it looks like Orton vs. Cena at WrestleMania.

If it is Cena vs. Orton, I do not understand the logic whatsoever because this is one match that has been done to absolute friggin' death. We've seen Cena and Orton wrestle each other almost countless times for championships during the 2000s, we saw them feud over unifying the WWE and World Heavyweight Championships and now they're main eventing WrestleMania yet again? It's a match that's not going to sell tickets because we've seen Cena vs. Orton ad nauseam. Owens vs. Orton has potential and a freshness to it but Cena vs. Orton yet again? I just hope that there's more to this than what we're seeing right now, otherwise the WWE Championship match for WrestleMania feels like a throwaway match to me.

2. LBGetBack

LBGetBack Championship Contender

I have a hard time believing that they will actually follow through on that. It's just.....yeah. Nobody wants to see that again.

Jack-Hammer likes this.
  3. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think they'll go for Cena vs. Orton again either, though the possibility of it happening did need to be brought up. When Taker won the Rumble back in '07, he was given his choice of facing either the WWE, World Heavyweight or ECW Champion and he eventually chose Batista even though he was part of the blue brand, so I'm hoping that Orton gets to choose between the WWE or Universal Championship in which he goes after the Universal Championship. It's the only way I can see them salvaging Orton being in the title picture for WrestleMania without resorting to a WWE Championship triple threat match and that's so lazy that it doesn't really even merit consideration.

4. The Life Of Pablo Ren

The Life Of Pablo Ren I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

It's not gonna happen. Cena is dropping the title in the Chamber most likely in a way that'll get him away from the title and put him into his WrestleMania feud. I don't understand why everyone's getting worked up over 16 and how it'd be a sin for him to drop it so quickly... it's perfectly fine to drop the title in two weeks. It's not like he has to hold on for the title for a certain amount of time to tie Flair. They could implement the 24/7 rule right now, have Cena lose the title before midnight tonight, and he'd still be a 16 time World Champion. Besides... 17 is REALLY the one that matters.

5. Romantic_Rebel267

Romantic_Rebel267 Dark Match Jobber

Orton vs Wyatt would be better. Even if Wyatt loses I will be happy to see him with the championship.

6. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

Come on JH, you are better than this overreaction.

Cena and Orton have fought over twenty times on PPV. They always have a passable match, but much like the last time they fought, no one cared, and I think Vince and company know that. I honestly look for Cena to drop the title at EC, likely to Bray. A lot of insiders have been predicting Orton vs. Bray for the strap at Mania in recent weeks, and I could see that being an okay Smackdown main event. The possibility of him dropping it back to AJ is also there. A fair amount of people have called for AJ vs. Orton to happen, and that is also a match that could be a decent Smackdown main event for Mania.

Just give it time to play out. I think something big will happen at EC that changes things.

S.J. Maximus likes this.
  7. Spidercanrana

Spidercanrana Should've Reinstated The Fox
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

You're hitting levels of clickbait, my friend.

There is still The Elimination Chamber and Fastlane. Odds of another Orton vs. Cena match are so tiny I'm surprised you even made this thread. The build up for Orton vs. Wyatt has been the story for quite a while now. So not only is a match between those two unoriginal, but it doesn't even make any sense. I wouldn't worry about that until we're past Fastlane and The Elimination Chamber.

Orton could still chase the Universal belt as well.

8. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Only a fool would think they're going for Cena vs Orton in a singles match.

Most logical scenario: Styles vs Orton vs Cena

Most likely scenario: Wyatt becomes champ in two weeks and Cena faces whoever cost him his precious reign.

Ok I wanted Cena vs Taker so bad, but I don't hate the idea of Orton vs Wyatt for the title. The card can turn out pretty solid and I can understand why Cena vs Taker isn't happening yet.

But I'll only believe that Cena had such a sort title run when I see it.. For now, I'm just positive.

9. XXJJ

XXJJ Championship Contender

I don't think so.. Cena most likely going drop the title at EC. Either to AJ or Wyatt imo.. Personally I love to see Orton vs AJ as the SD main event at Wm. Or they might do one of those triple threat or fatal fourway title matches at Wm. Vince sure loves those.

10. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

It probably won't happen. Cena will lose the title at Elimination Chamber and could be on his way to beat Flair's record at Wrestlemania. That doesn't mean it has to be against Randy Orton due to the Rumble win. Orton could end up challenging for the Universal Championship for all we know. Let's wait until the next PPV cycle to see what happens. Orton has to declare what belt he goes after first. Cena has to make it through Elimination Chamber. Owens has to make it through Fastlane. Even if for whatever reason they did go the route of Cena VS Orton it could be worse. Would you rather have Roman Reigns forced into a World Championship match? I sure wouldn't. I'd rather take another Cena VS Orton match than having Reigns win another World Championship. I predict at this point we are getting Orton VS Bray for the World Heavyweight and Jericho VS Owens for the Universal. Let's see what happens for the next month before getting too concerned.

11. Radical

Radical Championship Contender

Yeah, there is really no interest in seeing Orton vs Cena in pretty much any way at WrestleMania.

The problem, I feel, is that even if there IS some sort of angle we don't see yet, like it becoming a way for Bray Wyatt to finally get in the main title picture and face Orton at WM, it isn't plainly obvious as the Rumble has ended.

If you are a wrestling promoter you would think you would want you fans who took time to watch your product have a interesting angle already pretty obvious before you end the night? Even, at minimum, a comment by the announcers with something like "How will Bray Wyatt feel about this Orton win?" to get fans possibly thinking of something brewing between the two.

Because currently, there is no hook for me to be interested in what Orton is doing at WrestleMania. Likely the story SHOULD GET much more interesting than Orton vs Cena but Vince is pretty nutty if he thinks Orton winning the Rumble alone is getting the masses excited.

12. Elchicano15

Elchicano15 Always posts around Mania Season.

I think it's highly unlikely. There's plenty of other options. Orton could actually go on to challenge for the Universal title (if that rule still exists with this brand extension) John Cena could actually drop the title at EC as others had pointed out. Bray, could be in line for his first World Heavyweight title run, and challenge Orton, as was rumoured. Me personally, I'm kinda hoping that Samoa Joe, goes into EC to win the championship, then, face Orton. Joe was actually one of my picks to win this year's rumble, or at least one of the final 4 as there were a few open entries before the match. Joe's apparently in for a monster push, and participating at Mania this year so I want to think we're going to see Joe vs Orton for the WWE Title.

13. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Get These Naans

I have my doubts they go for Cena vs Orton XXVI or however many meetings they have had. One thing is for sure, Orton vs Cena has never happened 1v1 at WrestleMania.

There are some pros and cons to the situation. It's never happened at the big dance (Mania 24 doesn't count), and both Cena and Orton seem a big invigorated character-wise.

Wyatt Orton has been somewhat fresh for me, and I've seen a lot more positive reactions than negative. I almost wish Bray got back into the ring to celebrate with Orton.

Bray Wyatt is the big X-factor here. All the build, having Orton join the Wyatt Family, and they're just going to abandon it? There has to be strong potential in Bray being added to this match. Otherwise what was the point of the New Wyatt Family?

If they do go with vanilla Cena vs Orton, there has to be concern over the lack of chemistry these two have. They've put on some decent matches, but for each decent one there are at least two clunkers.

Another factor to consider is AJ Styles. Who is he facing at WrestleMania? There are a lot of potential opponents for him, but it could be AJ entering a triple threat. I doubt they'll book any four ways after the mess that was WrestleMania 2000.

There's also still an Elimination Chamber match which could be won be anyone, including either Wyatt or Styles. Likely Orton faces Harper one on one at the Chamber ppv, or Rowan returns and we get Bray/Randy vs Luke/Erik.

My biggest concern with Orton and Cena going one on one is their lack of chemistry. Cena requires a certain type of opponent to draw great matches out of him, and that person isn't Randy Orton. The possibility is very strong that an other opponent(s) could be added to the match. They could even jump Orton to Raw if they really wanted to, though I doubt it (the fact they stated in the past that the winner would challenge for their brand's title doesn't matter, they could throw it out with no explanation).

Orton vs Cena is a casual's money match. It's not our (IWC) dream match. Are the reinvigorated characters of Randy Orton and John Cena enough for you guys? Or is this the same old crap?

14. Tsunaru

Tsunaru Occasional Pre-Show

Orton going to RAW and challenging for the Universal title happens only in one circumstance, and that's if they fast track the Wyatt Family implosion and the story line ends in 2 weeks. Otherwise they've been building for months all to have nothing happen because "lol Orton jumping brands". While I wouldn't put such illogical booking past the minds of WWE creative, I'm betting it doesn't happen.

Wyatt winning the title at Elimination Chamber is pretty much the only saving grace the WWE fans have to save them from yet another Cena v Orton match.

Although with that said, I couldn't really care less. It's not anything I'm going to be suffering through, and it's no secret that I derive a small amount of enjoyment from watching the anger and the anguish over the WWE product over my twitter/discord/disqus feeds

15. Noshowers

Noshowers Occasional Pre-Show

If they really wanted a Bray Wyatt vs randy Orton match for the belt at Wrestlemania to happen, why wouldn't they want Bray to win the Rumble instead? It would be a new face and cement him as a guy that people should take a second look at as a main eventer (cause honestly he hasn't actually won many feuds) and also would come along with some fresh anticipation to see where this angle would go.

In the previous scenario Orton would then go on to win the belt in the Chamber which is perfectly legitimate and not a fluke due to his past history, then he could go into the match at Mania as the legitimate veteran champion that Bray would either lose giving his best effort while still looking strong or overcome to climb the mountain and get passed the "torch" if you will.

The scenario as it stands to play out now would be Orton winning a Rumble (the vet doing something he already has and starting to set himself up to go against the likes of Cena) only for Bray to luck his way into a Chamber win since he hasn't won many feuds or main events in the past to then be an underdog against a seasoned veteran who if he loses just is relegated into the history books as a fluky transitional champ and at best can cement his main event status by beating one of his stable underlings.

TL-DR - I am a much bigger fan of an up and comer underdog challenging an established champ vs the opposite storyline which we are going to get if they indeed go with bray Wyatt vs orton for the Championship at Wrestlemania.

16. WorstWrestlingExcrement

WorstWrestlingExcrement Getting Noticed By Management

I don t know what the fuss and all the complaints is all about! Randy Orton is a 12x WHC so he needs the belt more than ever as I said it in the past and I was right that cena would win the belt cause he wouldn t lose 3 times to Styles so now this leaves it open for a triple threat match for WM! Orton won't go for Universal champion and I don t see that happening! Roman Reigns will challenge Kevin Steen for Universal Heavyweight champion
    Samoa Joe wasn 't in the RR he is not getting any push !
    Way I see WM 33 card

Brock Lesner vs Braun Strowman or GOLDBERG
    Underflaker vs GOLDBERG
    Roman Reigns vs Owens vs Jericho
    Big Slow vs Shaq
    Randy Orton vs john cena vs AJ Styles

17. roipdh123

roipdh123 Getting Noticed By Management

I actually think either Styles or Wyatt win it inside the Chamber, causing mania to become a fatal 4 way:

A.J. Styles (C) vs John Cena vs Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt

Than they will have Cena win his 17th at Mania.

And that is the best possibility I have come up with.
    WWE you screwed it again..

Or - maybe they plan to destroy all of their longterm plans for Orton vs Wyatt, and have Orton vs Styles \ Orton vs Cena vs Styles for the title.

18. spiketbear

spiketbear Dark Match Winner

A nice PPV, but disappointing ending. If they were going for Wyatt vs Orton at WM, why not have the up and coming, first time champ win the Rumble, and get his first ever title at Mania? This would finally cement Wyatt as a legitimate contender. Instead, a guy that has won countless titles and already won the Rumble before got it. This shows that the company has no faith in Wyatt whatsoever, and his reign will either end immediately to Orton at WM, or he will be fed to Cena to pad his wins like Styles was.

I hate when the Royal Rumble winner loses. But I would hate it even more if a first time champion lost the title at his very first ppv title defense. If Wyatt wins in the Chamber, he had better retain against Orton at WM, or everything Wyatt has done to be built up will be pointless. His first reign would go down as being at the level of Great Khali, Jack Swagger, or Dolph Ziggler's first reigns, or Mysterio's second and third reigns.

As it stands, it looks like poor Styles will get his only rematch in the Chamber, essentially being thrown away with the likes of Corbin, Ziggler, and Miz, who have no chance of ever main eventing Mania (I know The Miz technically did, but was really just played third fiddle to Cena and Rock).

19. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Gribble me this, Gribble me that...

My complaint is that I don't know anyone who actually wants to see Orton in the main event. A midcard feud with Wyatt would have been fine. This isn't a feud I care enough about to see as a main event. And if Cena were to lose the strap just to win it back a month later, that would feel like a cheap, nothing victory. I want it to be a big moment when Cena breaks the record, not a story on Fast Forward.

20. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

I actually thought that Taker would win the Rumble, and it would be John Cena v Undertaker for WWE Title, and that Randy Orton would fight Bray Wyatt.

Cena v Taker would sell. They have fought on PPV, but that was Vengeance in 2003, 14 years ago. Also, Cena was the Doctor Of Thuganomics, and Taker was the biker. We have never had "Hustle, Loyalty, Respect" versus The Deadman before, and this would sell tickets. Cena v Orton #3,2000,0000 won't.

Besides, they were going to do Cena v Taker at WM32 last year, but Cena was injured. Now that both are fit and available, I don't see why they don't go for it again.

Another option I would have gone with is to have a shock, and Chris Jericho win the Rumble. I would have had Owens run in and eliminate Roman Reigns for his "best friend". Later, Jericho wins the Rumble, and with his best friend Owens as Universal Champion, that could create some interest.

This would give them time to work out what they do with Cena, Taker, Orton, Styles etc.

21. bnn52

bnn52 Occasional Pre-Show

Personally, I don't want to see Cena vs Orton again either, however, I don't see that happening whatsoever. As many have stated, we still have the EC PayPerView to go and there always is the chance Orton goes after KO and the Universal Title, but that feud doesn't intrigue me either.

Here's an interesting way for this to play out with a little twist. Orton and the Wyatt family open up SD (who knows what the plan is with Harper at the moment, but lets just say he hangs with the family). Orton says while he won the Rumble match, he is going to hand over his Main Event title shot to his savior, Bray Wyatt. SD Live management will get involved to legitimize the storyline, eventually allowing for this to happen.

Orton is then named the first participant in the Elimination chamber match, along with the following participants:
    Cena(c) vs Orton vs Styles vs Baron Corbin vs Luke Harper vs Dean Ambrose

Ultimate result will be Orton winning the title at EC, making himself look even stronger after the Royal Rumble win. But there will have to be some drama between Orton and Harper in the match, maybe have them in the final three with Cena & have Orton eliminate Harper.

This will naturally set up the feud with Wyatt and Orton for Wrestlemania.

Could also set up a Corbin vs Cena match for Wrestlemania.

Thoughts?

22. WorstWrestlingExcrement

All you people ever do is complain! Wishful thinking at first it was STING vs Underflaker you all craved and wished it and mcmoron went against fans wishes and scrapped it off! Then all you started again with underflaker vs cena and that didn't happen! I am glad Orton gave Roman Reigns the SS sequel when Bray and Orton cornered Reigns and Orton delivered Reigns a KO and pushed him out the ring! Orton deserves the title and I said this numerous times thrhoughtout the years and he won't feud with Bray Wyatt now that Luke Harper is out of the Wyatt Family! It seems they are trying to bring the gold to the whatever wyatt family is left. Thing is mc moron split and broke the family that is when Luke Harper won the IC title then lost it. They got the Wyatt Family back and added Braun Strowman now they split them up which was a bad move! Cause Wyatt family could have had all the gold to keep this family a serious threat ( for example tag team titles, IC title and WHC would have been around and secured with the Wyat Family! At least now we won't see Orton go against Bray Wyatt since they now screwed that up with flushing Harper out of the family ! So no Eric Rowan, no Harper, no Strowman makes Wyatt family no threat whatsoever! I don't see Orton handing over his RR win to his savior Bray Wyatt Orton is a viper he is the me, myself and I character he will win the title and bring the gold to the wyat family!

Maybe just maybe Luke Harper will rejoin them

WM33 Card
    Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper vs American Alphas( could be interesting)
    Braun Strowman vs Brock Lesner
    GOLDBERG vs underflaker
    AJ Styles vs Orton vs cena ( triple threat)
    Sami Zayn vs Seth Rollins ( HHH referee)
    Big SLow vs Shaq

23. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

While I'm pretty doubtful that they're going to go with Orton/Cena for the title, I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and view this from a different perspective than others. Maybe Vince and Co. view this as the only match on Smackdown big enough to possibly main event Mania. The other realistic options are Orton/Styles and Orton/Wyatt, and while those might be better from a fan perspective, they don't scream "Mania main event" quite like Orton/Cena does. And we all know what Vince's go-to plan has been for the past 10 years when he starts to second-guess the talent's drawing power; it's always been Cena/Orton.

We may assume that Brock/Goldberg or Taker/Reigns or HHH/Rollins will be the main event, but I don't see a title match not closing Mania this year. It's only under extremely rare circumstances that a match not featuring a World title main events Wrestlemania (Taker/Shawn in Shawn's last match, Rock/Cena in "Once in a Lifetime", etc.) and at this point, they would be crazy to have Brock/Goldberg or Reigns/Taker go last if one is not for a World title. It's clear based on last night that Goldberg is more than just rusty in the ring, he looks like he's never stepped in a damn ring before. And to put Roman on last, even in a match involving Taker is just asking the crowd to shit on another main event. There have been rumors that Goldberg's going to win the Universal Title at Fastlane and if that happens, than we obviously have our Mania main event. If not, there are very few options.

Like I said, Wyatt/Orton isn't strong enough to anchor Mania and while an argument can be made for Orton/Styles, I'm not sure Vince would have enough confidence in the match to put it last. It's possible WWE thinks enough time has passed that fans would view this as a fresh match-up again. Again, I'm not saying it will happen. I'm actually pretty certain that it won't. But arguments can be made.

24. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

John Cena v Undertaker could have headlined "Wrestlemania" very easily, and it hasn't been done to death, unlike Cena and Orton.

Orton winning wasn't met with cheers, but WTF!:wtf:.Randy Orton's stocks have dropped over the last year, spending half of it injured, and the other half of the year he was Bray Wyatt's lackey. Orton is yesterday's news. Also, why have Cena equal Ric Flair's record if he is then going to drop the belt a month later?

25. WorstWrestlingExcrement

I totally agree Randy Orton was injured most of the time and if anyone deserves the title its Randy Orton he is only 12x time champion so wwe needs to build him up to 16x times a few times till they make it a 16x champion vs 16 x time champion again!