Cena Region, Leeds Subregion, First Round: (11) Jake Roberts vs. (22) William Regal

Who Wins This Match?

• Jake Roberts

• William Regal

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
This is a first round match in the Cena Region, Leeds Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the First Direct Arena in Leeds, England.

first-direct-arena400x264.jpg

file_187255_7_jake-the-snake-roberts.jpg

#11. Jake Roberts

Vs.

william-regal.jpg

#22. William Regal

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted

Jake Roberts vs William Regal. A mid card match if there ever was one. Regal controls long periods of the match with technical ground work, Roberts makes the heroic comeback and hits the DDT for the win.

Roberts would win this match.

Regal was a workhorse who could make any and everyone look good. A true professional and real pro's pro.

Jake, at his height, was around in a time when a lot of guys had a glass ceiling in wrestling due to guys like Hogan always being on top. His personal demons likely did him no favors either, but I think history will look upon Roberts more favorably, and like I said, he would win this.

I'm with you guys, in thinking Jake would win this match 95% of the time, but there's reason to believe this could take place in that small 5% window. Regal has a home field advantage, and I think his psychology meshes well with Jake's. I'm going to reserve my vote until I see some more arguments for either side.

I had a real hard time picking this. Jake Roberts while good, isn't a favourite of mine. Regal I have always disliked, not because of what he does but just because he didn't wow me. I don't deny his in ring work though at all. Both guys lived on the mid card but Roberts definitely had some bigger feuds than Regal did. Undertaker to name one. If it was in America Roberts wins 1000 times out of 10 mainly because I think that's what makes most sense.

It's in Leeds though and I think the home field takes Regal to the victory here. Regal isn't disadvantaged in this fight, atleast not in terms of ring work. So for me the home crowd takes Regal to the second round in what they hope is a fairy tale story.

Jake Roberts was great at his prime that's alright, but William Regal is as witty as it comes with his misplaced sense of humor. The thing that adorns him comfortably is his in-ring skills. He was a King of the Ring, WWE Commissioner and all. He was a part of the beloved authority for so long and encompasses many skills and techniques. I would say, William Regal wins.

Jake Roberts was great at his prime that's alright, but William Regal is as witty as it comes with his misplaced sense of humor. The thing that adorns him comfortably is his in-ring skills. He was a King of the Ring, WWE Commissioner and all. He was a part of the beloved authority for so long and encompasses many skills and techniques. I would say, William Regal wins.

I don't recall WWE Commissioner being an in-ring job. Nor is his job in NXT :shrug: I'm not taking away what he did in the ring, and I was a big fan of his, but I don't see the connection between being able to run a show (in kayfabe), and being able to kick out of a pinfall attempt after getting hit with a DDT from Jake.

I don't recall WWE Commissioner being an in-ring job. Nor is his job in NXT :shrug: I'm not taking away what he did in the ring, and I was a big fan of his, but I don't see the connection between being able to run a show (in kayfabe), and being able to kick out of a pinfall attempt after getting hit with a DDT from Jake.

DDT has became so much underrated these days. Everyone hits DDT and everyone kicks out of it :p William Regal can counter the DDT with the Regal Stretch and would make Jake to tap out :worship:

DDT has became so much underrated these days. Everyone hits DDT and everyone kicks out of it :p William Regal can counter the DDT with the Regal Stretch and would make Jake to tap out :worship:

If it's "underrated", as you say, then it's still quite the awesome move. And, the reason "everyone" hits the DDT, is because Jake innovated the move, and was awesome at not just executing it, but building up to it. He was a master of psychology, that I don't think Regal could match, and after a slow build, this match would indeed end with Jake hitting the DDT.

If it's "underrated", as you say, then it's still quite the awesome move. And, the reason "everyone" hits the DDT, is because Jake innovated the move, and was awesome at not just executing it, but building up to it. He was a master of psychology, that I don't think Regal could match, and after a slow build, this match would indeed end with Jake hitting the DDT.

I agree it is still an awesome move that many use still. But the reason of me going with William Regal is that I adore his In-ring skills. You should've watched his match against Cesaro in NXT. He pushed Cesaro to the limit in that match. I'm not against the In-ring psychology of Jake Roberts, but the In-ring skills of William Regal are certainly better than that of Jake.

I agree it is still an awesome move that many use still. But the reason of me going with William Regal is that I adore his In-ring skills. You should've watched his match against Cesaro in NXT. He pushed Cesaro to the limit in that match. I'm not against the In-ring psychology of Jake Roberts, but the In-ring skills of William Regal are certainly better than that of Jake.

:blink:

I'm not doubting Regal's in-ring skills. I'm a big fan of his, actually. And I think Cesaro is great too. But...this argument is flawed. Regal v Cesaro, as great as it might have been, is not nearly on the same level as Roberts v Steamboat, Roberts v Rude, Roberts v Andre...

I even said, in my first post, that I think this would be great as far as in-ring product, and both guys would put on a great match, but Roberts, I think, had a better career, and was a better worker.

Jake was the Cerebral Assassin before the Cerebral Assassin, I can't justify giving Regal much of a chance in this one.

Regal's technical wrestling could wear on Jake some early in the match, but he would pick his spots to strike, eventually hitting the DDT for the win.

It's really a shame that Jake's personal demons had such an effect on his career and legacy, he really was a great pro wrestler. The promos leading up to this match would be quite entertaining.

I regard both of these men two of the greatest to never hold a world title. It's too bad their drug problems kept them from reaching their full potential. Roberts in the 80's, Regal in 2008. With that said, Regal was the better wrestler but Jake was a much bigger draw so I go with the snake after a DDT 10 minutes in.

I really want to vote Regal here. Somewhat out of preference, but also some valid reasons why he can take this match.

This is his territory & he can hang with Jake in the ring. The guy is way better than a lot of people give him credit for. Regal has tons of experience working tournaments just like this from his early days & from what I remember he always made it quite far in them. Plus he is a wrestling machine. I can just see Regal taking a heels way out here and picking up a sneaky victory. Jake hits the DDT, but Regal is too close to the ropes. Jake argues with the ref long enough for Regal to take out the brass knuckles, goes to pick Regal up for a 2nd DDT & gets tagged.

If this was going to be a feud, Jake ultimately wins. Since this is a one off match in Leeds, Regal is applauded for cheating his way to the win.

Two of my favorites, this is a tough one.

Regal has proven that it's quite easy to get into his head and I see Jake winning the mental battle quite easily, putting Regal at a disadvantage early on. Regal's dirty tactics would eventually even the playing field but in the end, Regal does what he does best, jobs to a star on the big stage.

Jake wins with the DDT in a hard fought battle.

Both men are great, and for various reasons never quite got to the top, but Roberts was the better worker and is more memorable. Regal may have home country advantage, but it isn't quite enough to overcome the Snake's superior mind. Regal is great in the ring, but Jake would last long enough to find his way into building up the DDT for the win.
Vote Roberts.

Seriously does home field mean nothing? What's the point of a region if it is just scratched as soon as the match starts? The one guy in this tournament (more than one but I'll just say one for now) that people wouldn't have a cry about Jake the Snake losing to in a match in Regal. You could also spin it the other way and say the one guy people wouldn't complain about Regal beating either. I just feel this match should have Jakes number because of the area. Maybe I am off the mark on how to do this tournament.

Both are similar and to me atleast it is like splitting hairs. So the region is a major factor for me.

This would really be a hard fought battle between these two guys. But I think William Regal goes over Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Both are unlucky to be in mid-card/upper mid-card and never quite making it to be the World Champion.

Still I believe that Regal is way better in-ring worker than Roberts so Regal wins this match. If we are to consider accolades, Roberts goes over but I consider in-ring work much over anything else.

So William Regal.

Seriously does home field mean nothing? What's the point of a region if it is just scratched as soon as the match starts? The one guy in this tournament (more than one but I'll just say one for now) that people wouldn't have a cry about Jake the Snake losing to in a match in Regal. You could also spin it the other way and say the one guy people wouldn't complain about Regal beating either. I just feel this match should have Jakes number because of the area. Maybe I am off the mark on how to do this tournament.

Both are similar and to me atleast it is like splitting hairs. So the region is a major factor for me.

I agree that the region means something, and these two guys are about as even as it gets between the ropes, but I have to give the edge to Jake based on his mic skills and psychology. He only needed one gimmick to get over, and he aced it. Regal went through a long list of gimmicks, and none of them are better than the original Cerebral Assassin.

Jake Roberts is probably a better wrestler than Regal. He is not as talented in the ring, but better on the microphone and probably more charismatic on the whole. However, as British Bulldog etc. have shown, home advantage is big for British wrestlers and more to the point, has proven so for Regal. In the twilight of his career he was able to win the Intercontinental Title in the UK. Roberts is not so far ahead of Regal that that should be ignored. Regal would and should win here.

It deeply pains me to vote against Regal, ever, but this is Jake the friggin Snake. One of the most fondly remembered psychological, subtle characters (rare enough in wrestling as it is). I believe Regal himself has had a few pet lizards, and they are two guys who in a perfect world could have been champion, so there are some similarities between them.

Still I think the unnerving nature of Jake unsettles all but the most mentally unshakeable opponents, and kayfabe-wise Regal was freaked out just from going against Naked Mideon and Rikishi, so Jake takes it.

Jake tended to win a lot more than he lost, whereas Regal seemed to usually give opponents a lot of troubles before losing. The odds of either man getting outsmarted here seem VERY low.

Regal has England on his side, but at the same time...he's lost to people like Fandango in the UK. Regal won the IC title in the UK...from Santino. That counts as half a win, and you know it. His record in the UK, while positive, is fairly spotty at best. Not that Jake is stellar in England mind you, but the fact that this match is in Leeds doesn't really mean that much to me.

Jake is much more important and influential than Regal (not to say that Regal isn't important, but he just doesn't touch Jake in that department). I love both guys, but I gotta go Jake with a DDT after he ducks an attempted brass knuckles shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back