• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cena & Orton: as Mid-Card Main Eventers?

C.K.O.

Occasional Pre-Show
Alot of Former World Champions in the business have captured the secondary Championships of the company after being established as a Main Eventer such as.. Ric Flair, Randy Savage, HHH, Kane, Scott Steiner, Jeff Jarrett, Booker T, Kevin Nash and ect. helping build up the mid-card contenders in main events.

Now if John Cena or Randy Orton were to capture the United States Championship or Intercontinental Championships and decently ran as Champion for a few months letting other stars such as Miz/Morrison/Del Rio have decent fueds over the WWE Title while also having main event feuds over the U.S/I.C Championships with Mid-Carders such as Kingston/Swagger/Mcintyre/Bryan, wouldn't this allow for the WWE to build the main eventers they need so desperately with more quality rather then throwing them into a WWE Championship match and winning the title only to lose to Cena or Orton and be forgotten?

Would WWE ever do this?

Your Thoughts..

It's an interesting idea but I'm sure WWE doesn't quite have the confidence the "new" faces of the main event like The Miz, Del Rio, and others yet. They use John Cena and Randy Orton for their drawing power for the main event scene and thats why they're in the solidified spots they are in on RAW and why they never really go that much lower down the card. I like the idea of Cena and Orton going down a level to help build the mid-card because having such major stars change focus on the title they want as well as fight for those titles with tenacity and defend them with pride against other mid-carders of the company would surely bring up the prestigious of both mid-card titles in WWE. This would make the mid-card more relevant and would help bring some major credibility to those titles by having such big names compete for/defend but I'm sure the WWE doesn't have enough faith to lower the card status of Cena and Orton, at least not yet.

This unfortunately feeds directly into the issue of not having enough main event talent for such a scenario to happen again.

My favorite example of doing what you mentioned, HHH, illustrates my point. As one half of the 2 man power trip he takes the Intercontinental title and gives it prominence and makes it feel important. A solid feud with the likes of Jeff Hardy and him and Austin giving Jericho and Benoit a main event rub through their work definitely grants the younger and less over talent a chance to shine.

The difference is the amount of main eventers and big talent on the scene at the time. This is still the prime moment in the careers of many Attitude era stars and the likes of Kurt Angle. And just before an influx of talent from the upcoming Invasion angle. Without Cena, Orton and Punk in the main event there aren't many talents that the WWE have the confidence to carry the main event. There aren't any other established stars that can work in absence of them.

Right now the smart money is on doing what they refuse to which is bring far more attention with the mid card titles and give those stars a chance to shine and hone their craft thoroughly before pushing them to the moon. Had Sheamus, Swagger, Miz, Del Rio, and the like been pushed longer in the mid card to get them over with the fans it would polish all of them up a lot more and give them more exposure and time to work the mic.

Miz could have just as easily kept feuding with the likes of Daniel Bryan, Morrison and other prominent mid carders before the current title reign. Del Rio could have had time as the IC champ, and the likes of Sheamus and Swagger would have greatly benefited from it.

The thread raises an interesting question but in my mind the problem is less with that solution than it is with how the talent is being rushed and not allowed to develop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back