• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Capitol Punishment buyrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bongorider

Dark Match Winner
WWE's Capitol Punishment pay-per-view event featuring R-Truth vs. John Cena drew approximately 200,000 buys, according to business figures released for the month of June 2011 on their corporate website.
The preliminary figure is up from 143,000 buys for the previous June's pay-per-view event, Fatal 4-Way.

Capitol Punishment was also up from the previous month's pay-per-view, Over the Limit, which drew approximately 150,000 buys. Cena was also featured in the main event, but against The Miz in an "I Quit" Match.

Why are some people saying this is a horrible buyrate?
It seems good based on those numbers.

It is good based on these numbers. "Some people" are also "moronic people". Now that I said this, I'll say something else - SPELL. Seriously dude, fix your thread title and have it be half acceptable, that shit's embarrassing. It's three words for crying out loud.

Ok I missed out a 'Y', no need to go apeshit. Also I don't consider Brian Alvarez and Dave Meltzer to be moronic.

The reason that people will look down on said statistics is because it's still low compared to where WWE used to be in terms of PPV buyrates. The business is stagnant and is getting crushed when compared to other sporting events like UFC. The fact is WWE struggles to pull in "great" numbers with the exceptions of their big events, like Wrestlemania and Summerslam.

The saddest part of it is that people paid good money hoping to see something new or different, say someone other than Cena or Orton winning. The build-up to the Truth-Cena match was very good, giving us a fresh and exciting new character in R Truth. There was also a lot of optimism with Christian being in a featured contest to avenge his short title reign. These two men were two of the hotter commodities at the time. Sadly, we were all reminded that when push comes to shove only two men are allowed to stand tall.

It did seem that WWE took some notice from the figures, as they began to segue into the edgier product we are currently seeing. It's too bad that R Truth is lost in the shuffle again, as I feel he could have been such a breath of fresh air in a stagnant title scene. I won't lie, I wanted that title to "get got". Damn you Little Jimmy!

Ok I missed out a 'Y', no need to go apeshit. Also I don't consider Brian Alvarez and Dave Meltzer to be moronic.

That "Y" is very important man... I looked at your thread from the WZ main page and thought "WTF is a burate!?" You don't consider either of those people to be moronic? I'm also going to assume you think that Michael Cole is brilliant and the best thing in recent raw history? Nah just giving you a hard time but seriously spelling is a huge issue because it shows that you actually give a damn. So if you are going to take the time to make a thread at least spell the TITLE correctly...

As far as the buYrates go....I think people were hoping that R-Truth would do 2 things...beat Cena...and well obviously destroy Cena. People were hoping for something fresh and like usual the only thing that happened was their bank accounts got a little lighter... The overall PPV wasn't horrible but to be honest I was surprised it did that well...

Yeah I get it, I missed out a Y. Moving on...

Why would you consider either of those 2 to be moronic? Especially Meltzer who has done, by far, the most in depth, independent research and collation of WWE's business statistics over the years, and has an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of the industry. Obviously irrespective of facts, two people can still disagree over value judgements, but I don't think he has any emotional reason to be understating the performance of this PPV. In fact he is on record stating that a "good" number for MITB would be 175k. So for Capitol Punishment to be 200k, I'm wondering why he and others consider that figure to be horrible since they are both minor PPVs. Maybe I'd need to ask him directly, but I doubt he will respond.

Yeah I get it, I missed out a Y. Moving on...

Why would you consider either of those 2 to be moronic? Especially Meltzer who has done, by far, the most in depth, independent research and collation of WWE's business statistics over the years, and has an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of the industry. Obviously irrespective of facts, two people can still disagree over value judgements, but I don't think he has any emotional reason to be understating the performance of this PPV. In fact he is on record stating that a "good" number for MITB would be 175k. So for Capitol Punishment to be 200k, I'm wondering why he and others consider that figure to be horrible since they are both minor PPVs. Maybe I'd need to ask him directly, but I doubt he will respond.

Perhaps everyone (including WWE) was anticipating a much larger buyrate just because they actually did some building up with Truth. If you are saying Meltzer is on record saying 175k is a good number for MiTB and 200k isn't good for CP, then I'd again like to say he may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

yeah he said both of those things. Well he actually just said the CP number was horrible, and didn't give the figure. So maybe he had a preliminary number which was an underestimate. Not sure at this point. But I'm pretty confused about the reasoning too, which is why I made this topic, I thought there might be another layer to this which I'm not aware of, but most people seem to think it was a good buyrate. I guess I'll wait to see what happens next.

How can he say that? How moron.

CP 2011 buyrates were up from last year's Fatal 4 Way, and also from The Bash, two years ago.

That's a fucking great number, especially considering the fact that the PPV wasn't that good. It makes no sense...

And if Capitol Punishment buyrates were horrible as 200 k, how can 175 k for the Money in the Bank, a PPV much antecipated with a great card and one of the hottest storylines and years, would be great? It must be at least 225 k...

I don't understand this.

The MiTB buyrates were 'low' as the PPV was free in the UK, which has quite a large number of watchers. I think that the buyrates for Capitol Punishment are pretty good, but I think that the event probably was attractive enough for kids to persuade their parents to get it...?

Meltzer and Alvarez like to talk a lot of doom and gloom with the WWE but they have done a tremendous amount of work on promoting newer talent. While the numbers are not what they were ten years ago, we're starting to see some slow growth.

200,000 buys is very good for a show like Capital Punishment which is not only a B-show but replacing a complete flop that was Fatal 4 Way last year.

Not to mention there were four fantastic matches on the show.

200,000 seems like a good burate when put in that context, it showed an improvement over last ear and it was up from the previous month as well. I do find it odd that the would consider 175 for mitb good and 200 for CP bad when mitb had wa more hpe than CP. In the overall scheme of things their burates are low, but given the streaming, downloading climate of today and the fact that overall viewership is low as well, and the ppvs are so expensive, I'd say having one that shows an increase in viewers for a random ppv is prett good.

That's a great number for Capitol Punishment considering how it wasn't a really great ppv and it wasn't a ppv that really had a lot of build I felt like CP kind of sneaked on me. But good for wwe some people were saying their ppvs were doing around 65000 which is absolutely ludicrous.

The MiTB buyrates were 'low' as the PPV was free in the UK, which has quite a large number of watchers. I think that the buyrates for Capitol Punishment are pretty good, but I think that the event probably was attractive enough for kids to persuade their parents to get it...?

I see what your saying about Money in the bank even though the buyrates won't probably come out until next month. But I think alot of people who don't buy wwe ppv's may have bought mitb because of the punk situation and how they wanted to see it play out.

I did a little bit of research and the 200,000 figure for Capitol Punishment is exactly in line with the other "B shows" that WWE has put out this year thus far. Elimination Chamber, Extreme Rules, and Over The Limit all drew 200,000 buys with Royal Rumble drawing 450,000 buys and WrestleMania drawing 1,100,000 buys.

WWE has drawn a total of 196,000 more ppv buys this year than they did during the exact same time last year WrestleMania has had a lot to do with that of course, but the B shows, with the exception of Elimination Chamber, drew more this year than last year. In terms of money, they're also a little ahead of where they were last year. The ppvs of the first half of 2010 made $105,132,900 as opposed to the same shows drawing $116,632,500 in 2011. So, thus far, WWE ppvs have made roughly $11.5 million more than they did last year. Not gigantic numbers or anything, but an increase is an increase and they're not on the decline this year as they have been the past few years.

That is honestly a good buyrate for a brand new PPV. It did better than last year's Fatal Fourway show and was on par with other shows this year. I am actually surprised that it did not do worse because of bad build up and most of the matches not seeming that interesting. I wouldn't count on seeing another Capitol Punishment show next year though. They will probably replace it with some gimmick themed show that does even worse.

Well, a little surprised it surpassed 200,000 especially when just the previous month Over the Limit was a complete bust. That being said, I think because it was a brand-new PPV, people may have been a little curious and they certainly pimped out the political theme having it be in Washington, DC and got a bit of press for the cartoon depiction of Obama too. I think all in all, this was a PPV concept that probably should be brought back. The political theme was really kind of amusing and all, but the only problem is, with a title like Capitol Punishment, it kind of makes sense to have it brought back to Washington. If they can do the PPV there every year, fine, but if not, it'll be a different gimmicky PPV next year.

Wow... Really? Don't get me wrong it was fun and all but seriously? I have a feeling that this may lead to them pushing Truth a bit more. Not a terrible thing at all, but I hope they don't think they need to do more political humor. Those bits were just awful.

I guess I'm just surprised because I knew quite early on that I wasn't going to buy it. I guess others were more intrigued than I, but it takes a lot for me to buy one of the smaller PPVs. MITB had the build for it, but the build to this, while entertaining, wasn't $45 entertaining.

Good for them, though.

I'm surprised by the buy rate too considering how lacking the build up was for the PPV with a John Cena/R Truth main event and those horrible political videos. It's not shocking that it did better than last year's Fatal 4 Way considering how terrible a concept that is for a PPV. It seems like WWE is doing pretty good this year in terms of buys for PPVs. I wonder what the figures look like for MITB.

200,000 buyrate is better than last year, so I agree in most of the points mentioned, but honestly, that buyrate is not good of ran ordinary B Show, actually bad. Plain bad. Of course, the buyrates, just like the ratings, can't improve overnight. It happens in time. The good thing is it seems like they are getting better not worse, which means in the future it may jump to 250,000 and so on...

However, there are a few points I want to make, the first is yes there is streaming, yes there is PPV being expensive and yes too many PPV etc etc... You can make up all the reasons in the world to justify buyrates going down and down each year (with the exception of this year) but with all the same disadvantages, if WM can make 1,100,000 this means you have that many people who CAN buy a PPV if they expect to see something special. You can't reach that number each month, maybe not even half, because there are too many investing involved in WM. But if people think you can deliver a good PPV too, you will easily start to go over 300,000 any given month. Then you will start looking higher. So instead of making reasons, you need to realize whats happening...

The second thing is, saying WWE is successful, they are doing great, or simply "their shit doesn't smell" is the worst thing that you can do to WWE. It means you are sticking your head into the ground. It means you don't realize there were millions of more people watching this show just a few years back, even more just 5 years ago, and there is a reason behind but you are missing out. Why would a great company like WWE has to settle for 200,000 buyrates when they have the potential to do much more. Have you realized you have to talk at forums because there are less and less friends you can talk to about WWE these days? Have you realized WWE was on mainstream media, news, movies, simply everywhere, but now they have to push everything themselves to get attention? Advocating WWE, just for the sake of it, doesn't show that you love WWE, actually it means you are giving further harm. Not that I think I can change anyone's mind, but continuing to sticking your head into the ground is only making things worse. We will end up having 100,000 buys instead, and continue to smile when the ratings jump by 10%, ignoring it was 100% higher once...

When I am explaining all this, you might have an idea that I am a TNA guy, as in these forums you can't be gray! However, they are not in the same league, if WWE is NBA champions, TNA can be old hall of famers playing half court between each other. Maybe all these WWE advocating has something to do with TNA die hards as well. What I am saying is, with accepting WWE is not in the same league with any other wrestling promotion, you have to realize when things are going wrong as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back