• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can wrestling get along fine without female wrestlers like in the atittude era?

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
After I heard about the WWE diva's six-diva tag team match at MSG in NYC where all the diva's were badly trashed by the WWE universe (New York Fans). No respect at all by the live crowd what so ever.

That had me thinking about back when there were no such thing as Diva's in wrestling or Knockout's. Back when women in wrestling were just known as the "women wrestler's" and the "valet's". Back in the mid-to late ninty's in the infamous "Monday night wars", women wrestling kinda played out after Alundra Blayze aka Maduesa dropped the then WWF woman's championship in a trash can on live TV in WCW. And after awhile woman's wrestling was gone full-time as a weekly part of both shows during the monday night wars.

The WWF/E brought back the woman's title during the atittude era when they put the belt on Jacqueline and then Sable and after awhile the belt and the woman's divison looked like the hardcore divison with various champions (Debra, Kat, Stephanie lol). And even after awhile when Chyna was the reigning WWF/E woman's champion. Along with Chyna and the company parting ways, the woman's championship disapeared for awhile?

So if the whole "women in wrestling" stage were once again to just go away for awhile, will the state of pro wrestling change off that like in the past?

There's a reason the industry numbers don't fluctuate too greatly when women's wrestling is on or isn't – no one (generally speaking) truly cares that much about it. Women are physically inferior to men in almost every aspect when it comes to the business of pro-wrestling, and because of that their style of doing so just doesn't sell very well.

While it has it's fans, not even Shimmer fans would be bold enough to say that women's wrestling has that great an affect on any company that features it.

So to answer your question, would the state of pro-wrestling change like it did in the past were "women in wrestling" to go away? That depends entirely on everything else that's going on in the industry at the time – removing women would be purely coincidental I'd imagine.

I really hate to say it, but even in the Attitude Era women were not real drawing power. People in the IWC can argue this back and forth like rabid dogs, but the cold hard fact is we really didn't care about them that much back then.

Of course in today's standards divas like Lita, Trish Stratus and Chyna were practically behemoths if compared to Eve and Kelly Kelly as of now. But just because we are nostalgic, doesn't make us smarks. They were good, but not great. Divas are okay in my book right now, but not as good as the Attitude Divas. Still doesn't mean we waited for a divas match to happen over a McMahon/Austin or even a Al Snow/Boss Man feud.

As for your question, I think WWE has pretty much went too mainstream to discredit the Divas' Division now. The media would notice if a certain race or gender wasn't being catered to on a public entertainment show, especially if the company's demographic is for Guided Audiences. They can't even really get away with what they did back then; with the gratuitous amounts of blood, Bra vs. Panties Matches, and harsh dialogue.

Can wrestling get along without a women's division? Yes, but it will not go unnoticed. Fans may stop watching and sponsors may pull their advertisement off the program, resulting in a lot of lost money. So I don't think it's a great idea for any company (more specifically WWE) to just let their division disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back