Can Shinsuke Nakamura be the "whole deal" in the WWE (Raw/Smackdown)?

AegonTargaryen

Championship Contender
First of all, a few weeks ago I had the chance to watch the highlights of Nakamura vs Sami Zayn from Takeover Dallas, and unsurprisingly, I was captivated like never before. (And I probably didn't know at then how brilliant his entrance music would be).

So I'd been waiting for weeks to watch Nakamura in an actual match with the entrance and everything on NXT, and I only got that chance a few days ago in his Second(?) match on Nxt, against Alex Riley. Needless to say, I love the entrance music, the strange mix of masculinity and femininity that is Nakamura, his effusive charisma and the whole "King of strong style" stuff. I couldn't wait to hear/watch the entrance again, and couldn't help but wonder about him.

Just a few minutes ago, I finished watching his debut match against Sami Zayn from Dallas, and what a match it was. Just a few observations:-

1)His entrance schtick and the fact that he's a dandy makes him so unique and charismatic that you can't help but be captivated.

2)His wrestling style is pretty unique in that most of it is a lot of kicks and strikes and during that match, it felt like the strikes got almost 50% real for a while, thus making it somewhat of a real fight- as is in boxing/MMA. We all know that the strikes in wrestling are conspicuously fake so even if the pretence of "viciousness" is there when one watches Randy Orton or The Undertaker, we are accustomed to knowing that it's fake and there's really no blood or broken noses except in rare cases when it's accidental. In Nakamura's match though, he was bleeding through the nose. The way he kicked Zayn's neck and skull seemed and felt really brutal. I am thinking that Nakamura's matches work in that fashion so the opponents pretty much know of the almost-real strikes they're going to receive and give.

He also uses submission moves and suplexes but all in all, he is so different from the diverse range of wrestling styles we've seen- such as Kurt Angle's, Shawn Michaels', Daniel Bryan's and Bret Hart's.

I tried to think of past wrestlers who even approximated or had any elements of "Strong Style" in their matches and only two names came to mind- Rob Van Dam on account of his superbly strong and agile legs, Martial Arts prowess, and overall style in the WWE/ECW. He sure wasn't as vicious as Nakamura but he was close.

Second is Randy Orton when as the viper, would focus on the opponents legs or arms and viciously and relentlessly kick on them.

Rob Van Dam even though wasn't much of a character like Edge, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy or John Cena, was just a superb wrestler, terrifically charismatic, had the support of fans consistently for years, but for whatever reasons, never really became a bona fide maineventer in his WWE career.

Taking all of the above in mind, I clearly see him winning the IC championship, and massive applause week in and week out upon his entrance on Raw(in the future).

What I wonder is, Can he become a maineventer in the WWE some day? He's 6'2 and probably 220 lbs. He appears to be "not built" or just natural, so in a way he's tall and yet not much of a "heavyweight". On the other hand, he's bigger than Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, etc, the former 3 of which have been World champions, and with the exclusion of Rollins, aren't really "built" either.

I could go on, but I'll finish my post by asking you guys:-

Considering that he's Japanese, is totally different from even American wrestlers who were different/unique/unconventional- Rob Van Dam, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and may or may not possess the mic skills/mainstream appeal that American/conventional wrestlers like John Cena and The Rock have had, will Shinsuke Nakamura ever be "the whole effin deal" in the WWE, be WWE Champion some day, and face/beat the likes of John Cena, Brock Lesnar, etc. ?

As far as I'm concerned, I just can't wait to see him against Cesaro, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar...the list goes on. AJ Styles as well. I also really hope/wish to see him as the WWE WHC (the first wrestler of Japanese descent to do so? )

I think he'll be in the main event picture if/when he makes it to the main roster, but I don't believe he'll be someone who'll get the sort of push/spot that we've seen for John Cena for the past decade.

I could be wrong in that, but I'm leaning towards no because Nakamura has such a different variation of charisma than Vince is used to and is known to really like. Nakamura is Japanese, has these "weird" mannerisms that get a huge rise out of people, he has a bad haircut, doesn't have a particularly good body and his English skills are questionable. He's such a departure from the type of guy that Vince is such a fan of that it may well be a hindrance if/when he reaches the main roster. I mean, Vince may very well not really know what to do with the guy and there's a strong possibility that he won't take advice from someone who might.

A POTENTIAL opportunity to get a handle on what Nakamura's future MIGHT be is when he faces John Cena in Hawaii in the near future. I say potential because I don't know if it's ultimately just a house show or if it'll be a special shown on the WWE Network. I also say potential because of what might happen during the match and how Nakamura looks when it's all said & done. If he has a very, very, very strong showing against Cena and loses, then I think it's more likely he's not going to be put on Cena's level if/when he makes the main event scene. If he winds up beating Cena, however, that possibly changes everything as it could be a sign of his future as truly being one of them, if not THE, top guys in WWE. If nothing else, a win over Cena would all but guarantee a prominent place on the roster; just look at Kevin Owens for an example.

I can easily see him becoming Intercontinental Champion and, if allowed, I can see him doing great things for the title. Even though Nakamura's a 3 time IWGP Heavyweight Champion, he's really become better known for his time as IWGP Intercontinental Champion. May 3rd marked 6 years since Nakamura's last IWGP Heavyweight Championship run ended and his roughly 3.5 years as the dominant factor in the IWGP Intercontinental Championship picture is what's gotten him noticed the past several years.

My only gripe with Nakamura is his knee strike special move. When he did it on Sami Zayn, it looked awesome because he twisted his body in a freaky way to deliver the knee. His two matches since on NXT showcased a much paler version of the knee strike. One didn't even look close to connecting, and his freak body twist to give it a great look had vanished. I get the feeling that his special move stays this way, underwhelming. I like the character, the entrance, the match, but his special move is meh right now.

Can he talk?.. Does he have a character?.. Can he do anything besides wave his arms around?... If his only positive is his in-ring skills, he's got a hard career ahead of him... He's not in Japan anymore. It's a different playing field. He's in the big leagues now.

Vince is, and always will be, the reason why anyone succeeds or fails. Regardless of talent level. Sure, you can get over on his platform without necessarily having his backing. But NOBODY has ever become "The Guy" without Vince giving that final approval.

If Vince really wants the network to succeed in China and Japan, he'll have Shinsuke in some main events. It's the same reason why AJ is in the position he's in right now. But Vince has a knack for fucking up Asian characters and turning them into characatures

Shinsuke has the in ring ability. Anybody doubting that hasn't watched him. In all honesty, I've seen very little of him. But his match with Zayn is the clear favorite for Match of the Year in any promotion. It's one of the best matches I've seen maybe ever.

He has a very alluring aura to him. Never heard the guy speak, but his demeanor and charisma is enough for me. Give the guy Heyman as his speaker and he'd be champ. No doubt in my mind

So in my opinion, the jury is still out. But I honestly think Vince will fuck this up.

Sidebar, can somebody put out an APB for Hideo Itami? Seriously? Is he dead or is it just his chances of being a main eventer here?

Can he talk?.. Does he have a character?.. Can he do anything besides wave his arms around?... If his only positive is his in-ring skills, he's got a hard career ahead of him... He's not in Japan anymore. It's a different playing field. He's in the big leagues now.

Yes he can talk and he does speak English. It's clear it's not his first language but he can hold a conversation. He's great in the ring and I love his style, so unique compared to what we see out of everyone else.

And what does him not being in Japan anymore have to do with anything? I'll bet you half the roster couldn't handle the matches in NJPW. When you look at Asuka, Nakamura and others, these guys and gals are borderline MMA. So if you're saying they aren't tough and can't handle the WWE style then you are completely wrong.

It's really cool to even see a thread about Nakamura in the WWE section! I am still ecstatic over his signing.

"The core philosophy of strong style is that professional wrestling is a legitimate fighting style. Part of making it appear legitimate is the incorporation of martial arts based strikes and holds."

The reason why he gets talked about so highly and his In-Ring skill highlighted is because most of his other attributes correspond with it. His charisma seeps into his matches and his entire entrance alone is heart stopping. It's absolutely amazing to see a guy of this caliber just now being signed to WWE, but the time is right. He literally can sell a match before it happens just on his capability.

I wasn't a fan of the finisher of the first, but it grew on me. The Boma Ye is actually really fitting for him. The execution varies just like anything else in Pro-Wrestling. For the most part it has delivered though.

If you have an opinion on him based solely on what you saw in NXT or less I would suggest you go back and watch some NJPW matches. Why? Because him vs Zayn has pretty much been called match of the year. That single match is no where near a reputable selling point. What I am trying to say is I have personally seen at least several better quality matches from him, and many of the same caliber.

I think the scary thing out of all the observations, thoughts, and actual facts is that I have never seen someone as fluid as him. If it be his match against Zack Sabre Jr. at Rev. Pro in front of a few hundred in England. If it be his match against Sami Zayn in front of a much bigger audience in Dallas Texas, or even main eventing Wrestle Kingdom in front of over 30,000 in Japan. Not once have I ever seen him lose his swagger or charisma.

So I mean stick around before you judge the guy. I'm just glad a lot of people seem to be getting behind him as much as I can.

It's really cool to even see a thread about Nakamura in the WWE section! I am still ecstatic over his signing.

"The core philosophy of strong style is that professional wrestling is a legitimate fighting style. Part of making it appear legitimate is the incorporation of martial arts based strikes and holds."

Haha. Well, when I first read the name Shinsuke Nakamura a few months ago on the WZ Main page, it said that the WWE signed him,etc. and my reaction was, "Shinsuke Nakamura. Must be some Japanese guy. Whatever".

Obviously, I was blown away after watching his entrance and performance in the 2-3 minute highlights clip they showed of him and Zayn from Dallas. And I hardly knew how amazing his entrance music was(since they probably had a different audio in the highlights video). I knew THEN that shinsuke nakamura wasn't just some japanese guy.

The reason why he gets talked about so highly and his In-Ring skill highlighted is because most of his other attributes correspond with it. His charisma seeps into his matches and his entire entrance alone is heart stopping. It's absolutely amazing to see a guy of this caliber just now being signed to WWE, but the time is right. He literally can sell a match before it happens just on his capability.

This, I can totally understand. I've never felt like this before. I have been thinking, I am already waiting, desperately, to see MORE of Nakamura in NXT as well as the WWE. It has never ever happened with me before in that I don't remember the last time I felt like I COULDN'T WAIT for a particular wrestler to wrestle a dozen or so wrestlers, and COULDN'T WAIT for every week to unfold . The closest feeling I can think of is when CM Punk debuted in ECW back in 2006 (and I wasn't a Punk fan or much aware of him) and there were fans already chanting "CM Punk. CM Punk". They must've felt what I feel now, may be to a lesser extent. I already see Shinsuke Nakamura as the Shawn Michaels of the East, or may be something more, and the future WWE WHC.

I wasn't a fan of the finisher of the first, but it grew on me. The Boma Ye is actually really fitting for him. The execution varies just like anything else in Pro-Wrestling. For the most part it has delivered though.

If you have an opinion on him based solely on what you saw in NXT or less I would suggest you go back and watch some NJPW matches. Why? Because him vs Zayn has pretty much been called match of the year. That single match is no where near a reputable selling point. What I am trying to say is I have personally seen at least several better quality matches from him, and many of the same caliber.

I'm not bothered with the finisher as of now. It looks cool but I am impressed by his overall "style" and mannerisms and demeanour throughout the match.

Sure I'm going to watch his stuff from NJPW and elsewhere, little by little. But I can't help but wait and see where his NXT career goes and what his trajectory as a WWE performer will be. For that matter, I can't wait to see a 30-min match between Nakamura and Lesnar, as long as Lesnar reverts back to being a PRO WRESTLER and not some idiot who German Suplexes his opponent 15 times in a match like some kid does in a video game. But if Lesnar actually wrestles and Nakamura is able to deliver significant amount of offense, I can already see Nakamura to be the victor, in a very BELIEVABLE way, which hasn't happened with Brock's WWE opponents like Punk, Rollins, Cena, HHH, and Ambrose. His UFC/Legit shit has made his WWE matches somehow not as enjoyable since one can't really believe his opponents have a chance.

I think the scary thing out of all the observations, thoughts, and actual facts is that I have never seen someone as fluid as him. If it be his match against Zack Sabre Jr. at Rev. Pro in front of a few hundred in England. If it be his match against Sami Zayn in front of a much bigger audience in Dallas Texas, or even main eventing Wrestle Kingdom in front of over 30,000 in Japan. Not once have I ever seen him lose his swagger or charisma.

So I mean stick around before you judge the guy. I'm just glad a lot of people seem to be getting behind him as much as I can.

The scary thing for me is that I don't care about typical WWE mould of "champions" and the typical microphone BS that goes along with it. I already see Nakamura as the WWE WHC/maineventer, and already see him as THE GUY who can cleanly beat Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Cesaro, you name it. Not that I propose that he should be the Next Superman/Invincible guy, because that gets boring. I am fine with him speaking just a few words like he did on NXT last week, "Rage? I am (something) with rage". It would be better than the same old format of 15 minute promos we've seen HHH, Rock, Austin, Cena, Orton, etc. do week in and out for YEARS. Nakamura would be better being a man of a few words, if he isn't already one naturally. Moreover, they can always bring someone talented on the mic as his manager, someone like Paul Heyman or someone from Japan/NJPW.

We can at least hope he'll be a mainstay in the WWE for a few years and we can revel in his hypnotic entrance, in-ring spectacle and incredible charisma combined with speed, agility and sheer force.

Give him a mouth piece and let him be himself, thats enough to win a few major championships.

The scary thing for me is that I don't care about typical WWE mould of "champions" and the typical microphone BS that goes along with it. I already see Nakamura as the WWE WHC/maineventer, and already see him as THE GUY who can cleanly beat Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Cesaro, you name it. Not that I propose that he should be the Next Superman/Invincible guy, because that gets boring. I am fine with him speaking just a few words like he did on NXT last week, "Rage? I am (something) with rage". It would be better than the same old format of 15 minute promos we've seen HHH, Rock, Austin, Cena, Orton, etc. do week in and out for YEARS. Nakamura would be better being a man of a few words, if he isn't already one naturally. Moreover, they can always bring someone talented on the mic as his manager, someone like Paul Heyman or someone from Japan/NJPW.

I was against the whole manager thing, because it would feel kind of weird to me. However he does probably need a talking piece and be in the position where he only has to say few words. I just hope he would be paired with someone who would actually benefit him. Heyman would probably be ideal.

Nakamura is a huge opportunity and asset. I truly am waiting on a Cesaro match :D

I'm fully on board with this hype train. Nakamura is a blast to watch. From the moment his music hits until the final bell he brings a character to the ring and absolutely commits to it. He knows how badass the Nakamura character is and sells it perfectly all throughout the match. Helluva lot of fun to watch.

Considering that he's Japanese, is totally different from even American wrestlers who were different/unique/unconventional- Rob Van Dam, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and may or may not possess the mic skills/mainstream appeal that American/conventional wrestlers like John Cena and The Rock have had, will Shinsuke Nakamura ever be "the whole effin deal" in the WWE, be WWE Champion some day, and face/beat the likes of John Cena, Brock Lesnar, etc. ?

You make a good point, though. He's a pretty unique character in the WWE. Optimistically speaking, WWE has been looking for a bankable Japanese star for a long time, they at least seem genuinely interested in making it happen. I haven't really seen enough of him to get an opinion of whether he needs a manager or not.

Nakamura is a huge opportunity and asset. I truly am waiting on a Cesaro match :D

Shit, me too now!

I am really excited in what Nakamura can accomplish in the WWE. I mean this is probably one of the rare instances when a Japanese wrestler is brought to the WWE whose gimmick is not that he's Japanese. His debut is amazing and it shows that he has the in ring skills and charisma to be a very marketable superstar.

That could easily be Match Of The Year candidate.
Cesaro has showcased his in-ring talent that he can go with anyone in the ring and make both look credible. Nakamura is already a Shining Star. Nakamura could have great feuds and matches with the likes of Joe, Cesaro, Cena, Owens etc.

As for the OP, Nakamura is just too awesome. I have only watched his one match against Alex Riley and he has impressed me a lot. His swag is unique enough.

As for his main roster stint, it all depends on Vince and his booking.

One thing I wonder is do WWE ever mention the fact that he fought Brock Lesnar and AJ Styles not to mention Kevin Owens and probably a good chunk of the former indy guys on the roster. I don't see him ever becoming the guy not just because he's Japanese but because of his age and his style. Not only has wrestling in Japan most likely put some miles on his body I don't see many main roster guys being able to hold up in matches against him let alone full fledged feuds. IMO, which I fully know is gonna catch some heat, I think he should only wrestle at PPVs if not work a schedule like Brock. To me the viciousness and physicality of his strong style combined with his showmanship and charisma are a spectacle that shouldn't be wasted by him having weekly 8 min matches on Raw and Smackdown. I like him fighting John Cena for his first main roster exposure because no matter how you feel about John's character he brings it in the ring and can definitely hold his own with Nakamura plus the fact that the crowd is gonna go nuts with Cena hate the atmosphere is gonna be great. I really hope they put him against Lesnar at some point. If it had been Nakamura in that match with Brock at Wrestlemania they would have definitely been a million times better than that crap he did with Dean.

IMO, which I fully know is gonna catch some heat, I think he should only wrestle at PPVs if not work a schedule like Brock. To me the viciousness and physicality of his strong style combined with his showmanship and charisma are a spectacle that shouldn't be wasted by him having weekly 8 min matches on Raw and Smackdown. I like him fighting John Cena for his first main roster exposure because no matter how you feel about John's character he brings it in the ring and can definitely hold his own with Nakamura plus the fact that the crowd is gonna go nuts with Cena hate the atmosphere is gonna be great. I really hope they put him against Lesnar at some point. If it had been Nakamura in that match with Brock at Wrestlemania they would have definitely been a million times better than that crap he did with Dean.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I have been a huge fan of Sting. I couldn't emphasize it more. But something which never really happened is Sting being on Raw(in his prime, like between 2008-2014 even), like what The Undertaker was to Smackdown. Wrestle occasionally and rarely on Raw, like once a month. But mostly wrestle PPVs. I'd have killed to have Sting on Raw/WWE between 2008-2014. But alas!

So the very fact that Sting never was signed to the WWE in his prime, and never wrestled in the mainevent on Raw(in his prime) makes it all-the-more desireable.

In a similar vein, I agree that Nakamura shouldn't be like just any regular guy on the roster, the Zigglers, Zayns and Owens'. I love KO but really, he wrestles on Raw AND Smackdown, as does Cesaro. There's very little mystique to their characters, as a result, and they're always exposed.

Nakamura is obviously much more than a wrestler, considering his entrance schtick. A "spectacle" of sorts. So yeah, It'd be terrible if he appeared and wrestled on every single Raw. I'm sure they're going to market and present him more as a special attraction, similar to Lesnar.

Even though I'm the biggest John Cena hater out here,I think Nakamura vs John Cena(regardless of whether it happens on the WWE Network/Live Event Special, or some PPV) would be fun.

Nakamura vs Brock Lesnar surely deserves a good 30+ mins at Wrestlemania. They don't even need to build the match but just ANNOUNCE IT. That will itself sell the match.

On a side note, Imagine it's 2008 or 2010 and Sting vs Shinsuke Nakamura is the mainevent of Raw. Damn! Or even of Wrestlemania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back