Can entrance themes make/break a career?

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I feel it's time to rehash the subject. Especially considering the fact that two superstars' careers have recently been jeopardized by their new themes, in my opinion. (More on that later.)

Ultimate Warrior

We've all heard the stories about the Ultimate Warrior. Even though he couldn't wrestle a lick when he was rising through the ranks of the WWE, many managers, backstage personnel, and other superstars attributed his popularity with his high-energy entrance theme music. As a matter of fact, legends like Bobby Heenan have been put on-record saying that the music was Warrior's biggest elevation point.

However, in most cases, a change in entrance music really doesn't do much for a superstar's career. The changes are normally quite subtle and don't necessarily affect their popularity (or lack thereof). A good example of this was Jeff Hardy during his final WWE stint.

Jeff Hardy (old)

The Hardy Boyz entrance theme music was a staple in the careers of Matt and Jeff. Once they both went solo, Matt took on his V.1 persona and (in my opinion) was given an incredible piece of music as his entrance theme. Jeff, on the other hand, received Endeverafter's "No More Words".

Jeff Hardy (new)

At first, many though the theme was lame and could've hurt his persona. But, we were obviously proven wrong.

Recently, Ted DiBiase and R-Truth have been given theme songs that seem to drastically alter their personas.

Ted DiBiase Jr. (old)

Ted DiBiase Jr. (new)

Ted was coasting off his Legacy theme song, "A New Day", until the WWE recently gave him a theme that aims more towards his "wealthy" personality. He went from having a rock song to a cheesy version of a Taio Cruz song.

R-Truth (old)

R-Truth (new)

In the same fashion, R-Truth went from having the most catchy entrance in the WWE to one that has a better chance of hearing a mouse fart than a positive crowd response. I feel this is going to drastically hurt his current standings with the company.

What are your opinions on this? Do you all feel that entrance music plays an intricate part in a wrestler's gimmick, angle, and career?

Ted was coasting off his Legacy theme song, "A New Day", until the WWE recently gave him a theme that aims more towards his "wealthy" personality. He went from having a rock song to a cheesy version of a Taio Cruz song.

In his defense, I don't think that was the same cut of the song I heard on Raw last night. Regardless, this Titantron has received a poor reception from just about every wrestling fan I know. Will it sink his career? Doubtful. Entrance music is important to a performer, but that doesn't mean that they are as important to one guy as they are to the next. Ted DiBiase Jr. wasn't a guy who needed to play off of his entrance music; it simply wasn't an important part of his gimmick, or at least not as important as other aspects, like the Million Dollar Championship. Give it a few months before they switch him to another song and it'll be like this never happend.

In the same fashion, R-Truth went from having the most catchy entrance in the WWE to one that has a better chance of hearing a mouse fart than a positive crowd response. I feel this is going to drastically hurt his current standings with the company.

This is an instance where the entrance music was almost the most important part of the gimmick. What was R-Truth (especially through most of last year and early this year) without "What's Up"? The song was what got him reactions and pops from the crowd. Sure, Ted's new theme blows, but this tune is horrible. He can't flow with it in the same way that he could with "What's Up". The crowd doesn't dig it and doesn't know the lyrics. I was never a fan of "What's Up", but over time the fans in most ANY stadium WWE went to were familiar with it and sang along. Now? He comes out to a dead crowd who all grew up past rap-rock/hybrid music back in 2002.

I think you're pretty dead on that entrance music matters, D-Man. I just would like to point out that it matters to some much more than others. Ted will be just fine with whatever music, but R-Truth needs something else, and fast.

Yes I believe it has indeed been discussed before. But that's for another story.

No, I don't believe that an entrance theme can make or break a wrestler. Why? Because let's face it, it doesn't matter if you walk out to Britney Spears - Oops I did it again and you're looking and acting like John Cena. You're gonna get laughed at, and you're not gonna get taken truly serious. Yet you're not automatically broken beyond repair. Or for that sake automatically successful.

An entrance theme is always nice when it fits. Yet there are so many different themes that can fit nicely to one superstar, and some that can be a complete mess. And both of these scenario's can cause us to identify the superstar. And that is more or less where it all stops. You're not gonna get more or less over because your theme sucks. Because when it all comes down to it, you get over through being interesting, being appealing and being worth a damn.

And neither of these things is accomplished through having a proper theme. Let's use an example which I feel is absolutely perfect - Cody Rhodes. The theme is good yes, the theme fits nicely as well. Yet do you honestly say you care more about Cody because of an entrance theme? Or because he has been absolutely golden on the microphone, as well as being consistent and able to perform in the ring? I'm sure we all know the right answer to this one.

And this very thing fits to so many people. The majority of them could most likely not get over if the theme was the hit of the year and completely fitting, if they're stillmore boring than watching paint dry.

And that is why it doesn't mean anything about what your theme is when it comes to getting anywhere in the business.

Oh, absolutely. That's one of the first things I look for in a wrestler when they debut. I want to hear their theme, see their entrance. I spend so much time deciding on music for my CAWs, music that fits the gimmick to perfection. It needs to not only fit, but also shape the gimmick.

Look at Daniel Bryan. When he got his new classical music, it was funny, but it worked. It helps his "nerd" character by adding a dimension of humor to a man who can get things done in the ring. It makes him seem kind of silly...until he ties up his opponent into knots and makes them tap. Instead of the generic rock music that makes him as forgettable as any other new guy, he has an instantly recognizable tune that works for his character.

An example you gave was R-Truth. I totally agree. I like R-Truth. I still like R-Truth. But the music was so important to him and his character that now he's changed it, he just isn't over anymore - and he used to get massive pops every week! The audience loved the interactive, easy-to-sing-along-to entrance. It was catchy, and high-energy, just like Truth himself. His new one is dark and doesn't fit him at all. It may have helped kill his career if the recent crowd reactions are any indication. A shame, really, because Truth is exciting in the ring and on the mic. Oh well.

Entrance music is iconic of a wrestler. Put it this way: Would Stone Cold have been so popular if his entrance music with the glass shattering hadn't been so great at getting the crowd pumped up? What if he had entered to a low-key, soft and calming tune? It wouldn't have been the same, would it? How about Real American, Hogan's theme? If those chords hit the speaker during RAW, there is no doubt the live crowd would shit itself way harder than if he just showed up in the middle of the ring, sans music, or backstage.

Music is an essential building block of any wrestler, and bad entrance music can lead to a bad character, or at least a character with bad parts.

At the beginning of their careers superstars are generally given some sort of a generic theme music but as they rise up the ranks and start to show some character their entrance music is changed in accordance to their character. So I do not think that entrance theme can make or break a career. Rather its the other way round in the sense that even a bad song may become popular if given to a popular superstar.

I've never seen an entrance theme 'break' a career. Care to give a few examples?

Interestingly enough, I think you're wrong about Hardy. I don't think that his second WWE theme hurt him at all, because it had the same basic structure as the Hardy Boyz one. However, Hardy does illustrate your point well. Hardy's TNA theme was a complete and utter piece of shit, and I would cite it as the number one reason for his failure to rise to the top there. Hardy always fed off the crowd's energy, and it was his music that set that up. The music had a quick bass line, and Hardy would come out and gee up the crowd, buttering them up enough to not realise that he's dogshit on the mic. Compare that to this:

Not to mention the fact that it is one of the worst songs in history, it is completely without momentum, just like Hardy's career in TNA for the best part of a year.

You know to make this conversation more interesting, I was trying to think of a wrestler who had become a big big star with terrible entrance music, but I couldn't really think of anyone. That being said, WWE has always had good themes for most of its wrestlers, so that isn't saying much. I don't think it is the be all and end all, but I think it can make enough of a difference to stop someone fulfilling their potential.

As a positive thing, a theme can't make someone. People love to say that about Warrior, but truth be told, his music was hardly groundbreaking, he would have been a big star anyhow. If good and fitting music made megastars, Gangrel would be the biggest name in wrestling today.

Sure and there's only one example you need to prove it: The Undertaker.

This guy's entrance is just straight up awesome. His theme music, the organ sounds, the lightning, the thunder, the smoke. How can you look at this guy and hear the sounds and see that it is all about this one guy and not want to watch this guy? Now imagine him with some stupid techno song and walking to the ring with his head up and looking at the crowd and you can see his face the whole time etc. The aura and mystique is completely gone. This is one sided and definitely the music and entrances can make a guy.

I was under the impression that your entrance theme was given to you, not that you got to choose what you wanted. A prime example of that is when Hulk Hogan had 'Eye of the Tiger' as his entrance theme back in the day. He was a revolutionary character that was a monster in the ring and he was the fans favourite, that theme just sounded fitting. Then he had his Real American theme which fitted his character a little bit more and added some patriotism to his persona.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley had his 'Blueblood' theme that fitted his 'Blueblood' character, which then evolved into his more vicious and lusting character which brought up 'Higher Brain Pattern' and 'The Game'. Like KB said, Undertaker is a prime example. I can't recall Undertaker having an entrance theme without the signature gong and dark lighting.

Randy Orton is the same. He had 'Line in the Sand' which evolved into the birth of Evolution, continuing onto his more sinister-developing character in early 2006 when he had 'This Fire Burns' only for a week, before being replaced by 'Burn in my Light' then lastly becoming 'Voices' with his completely psychotic, sinister and viper character.

I think I've pretty much rounded it up that entrance themes do infact make a superstar.

While it's always a plus for a wrestler to have entrance music that matches his character's personality or sort of sums of what his character is all about, it's not a major issue with me. Entrance music is part of the cosmetic aspect of wrestling just like the bright lights, the sound system and the pyro. However, it's overall effect on how I view a wrestling company's product is minimal.

For me, what truly matters are the wrestlers, the angles, the storylines and the matches. If I don't care about what I'm seeing in the ring and hearing on the mic, then a theme song ain't gonna do shit for me quite frankly. As I said, having a good entrance theme can be a plus but, ultimately, it's not gonna play a big factor in whether or not I like a wrestler.

Take Daniel Bryan for instance. His entrance theme right now is Ride of the Valkyries, a well know piece of classical music. When I hear it, it doesn't exactly make me think that a great wrestler is about to make an appearance, but a great wrestler does make an appearance despite having an entrance theme that's not exactly hot.

Absolutely.

The basic purpose of an entrance music (theme song) is for it to describe the character (wrestler) that is coming to the ring. Of course, the song that the given wrestler uses has to fit in perfectly with what type of gimmick/personality he or she is portraying. You can’t just have someone like Cody Rhodes (w/ his metrosexual gimmick) and have him come out to the theme of Ezekial Jackson. In no way would that song fit Cody Rhodes. Cody Rhodes is all about looking good. Why would he have a song that screams “This here’s what you call domination”. Vise-versa, if Ezekial Jackson had the theme song that Cody Rhodes had, it wouldn’t make sense whatsoever seeing as how Ezekial adapts the gimmick of being DOMINANT and not beautiful. The point I’m trying to make is that a theme song has to reflect off of whatever gimmick it is that the given wrestler has. But of course, this is common knowledge.

Another major part in a wrestler having a theme song is, whether the song is actually good or not. Most people are usually very influenced on how they react to a character based on the song that they carry. I’m not saying that’s what always happens, but it is what the ‘average joe’ tends to do. For example, when you have a song like Ted Dibiase’s, you can right away tell it is shit. Therefore, chances are, you will think that Ted Dibiase IS in fact shit. Sure, if you pay attention to the lyrics, you will see that that song fits him rather well. But when you just hear the song without thinking, you right away say, “What the fuck is that garbage?!” In a sense, it leaves you a negative energy being built towards Ted Dibiase and possibly even making you think worse about him than you normally would.

Ultimately, a theme song effects the overall fan reaction (impressions) that a wrestler achieves or receives. If the people enjoys the wrestler's entrance music, they will enjoy the wrestler; but if the people hate their music, they will [most likely] dislike or hate that given wrestler---or in the very least, it will leave a negative reaction towards him or her. Just look at R-Truth. It’s safe to say that many people are changing their opinions of him solely due to his song. And who could blame them? R-Truth’s gimmick ran so well with “What’s UP?”, and now that he has that stupid “Krunk” song, all people do now is say is “What the fuck is that god-aweful shit.”

In the end, an (entrance music) theme song should fit in well with the gimmick that a wrestler portrays, but to the same time, the song has to be decent. Because if it isn’t, it effects the overall impressions that one would have toward the wrestler. One would even go as far to say that it effects their career in the long run...

I think it helps. Most of the time it is based on that guys gimmick. IE Warrior and Undertaker and even Evan Bourne. Lyrics of the song are a reflection of the guys personality too. However you feel about a guy or girl usually gets you ready to boo or cheer or love or hate, right when their music hits.

I think it's safe to say that in some cases it certainly helps. Look at the Road Warriors. When you think of the Warriors you think of the face paint, the pads with spikes and of course their theme song "Iron Man". The fans would pop like crazy when the song would start and are still remembered for their ring entrence today.

Awesome thread, D-Man. I wouldn't go as far as to say that entrance themes can make or break a career.... but they definitely help infulence a fan's opinion of a wrestler. If somebody sucks but they have a cool song, it helps some people begin to like them. On the other side of the coin, if they are talented but have a terrible entrance theme it can make the fans turn on them due to disliking the theme music. I hate R-Truth's new song to the point where I mute the tv for his entrance, I flat out refuse to listen to it. I don't think that a bad song can destroy a career, but it might create some negative reactions from fans. While having great entrances is an extremely important part of creating fan reactions, they aren't as important as promo skills and what they can do in the ring because those are the two things that make or break a career. Awful promo skills or the lack of wrestling ability can make or break a career whereas a cool entrance does not make a star. The reaction from the cool entrance will fade away within the first minute of a match or promo if the match/promo sucks. If the entrances were as likely to make or break a career as promos or wrestling ability are, then R-Truth's horrible new song would already have gotten him future endeavoured.

Entrance Themes......Hmm. Honestly, they don't make or break a career for MOST stars.

I like R-Truth's new song better than the old one, but its belongs on an album and not as a Entrance theme.

Many people do think that Entrance Themes are not that important but they are. When you hear that glass shatter, you know an a** whopping is to follow. When you heard "If You Smell (or Do you smell what the rock is cookin), you know The Rock was gonna "layeth the smackdown all over someone's candy a**".

So yes, Entrance Themes may make or break your career in a way, but only if your a big star.

*IMO*:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back