Calgary Region, Third Round: Last Man Standing: (1) Steve Austin vs. (9) CM Punk

Discussion in 'Calgary Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 10, 2011.

?

Who Wins This Match

1. Steve Austin

2. CM Punk

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The following contest is a third round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

[​IMG]

It is a Last Man Standing match.

Rules: In this match, there are no disqualifications and no count-outs. Victory is attained when one person is unable to reach his feet after a count of ten after being knocked down by any method.

#1 Steve Austin

[​IMG]

Vs.

#9 CM Punk

[​IMG]

This contest is one fall with a 30 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

2. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

Last night before my wife got home, I was watching the Wrestlemania 17 main event between Austin and The Rock. This match was phenominal - it was hard hitting, brutal, riviting. It was announced at a "No Holds Barred" match at the last minute (even though rope breaks still were enforced) and even though Austin was already known as a brawler, you saw a whole other side to him that night. Killer instinct off the charts.

Austin is one of the toughest guys in the biz. He never quit when Hart wrenched on the Sharpshooter. Nor when The Rock did. Bloody mess notwithstanding. The guy is as tough and ruthless as they come, and CM Punk has yet to have that definitive career moment that shows us "here's a tough guy who will pull out all the stops to win."

Austin is going to win this match.

SavageTaker likes this.
  3. JXL

JXL Pre-Show Stalwart

Austin is as tough as they can come by. By having this match to be Last Man Standing, you just gave him the edge to be as sadistic as anyone can be. Getting by CM Punk is not as easy, but just to know that he hasn't been in a more serious match-up like Austin has, he will get grounded out. Expect a few chair shots, 3 Stunners, and Punk is out for the 10 count.

4. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Austin has pretty much been booked as the toughest wrestler in history. Punk has been booked as someone a little bit more cerebral, and there's a chance he could win in that fashion, as Jericho did against Kane once. However, I just can't see it. Vince McMahon spent years trying to outfox Austin, and it literally never worked, I can't see that Punk can succeed in that manner, especially when you consider his supporting cast would be absolutely nothing on what McMahon had.

This would go to the wire, and it would be brutal, and I imagine Punk would be pretty relentless in his assault, and Austin would all but certainly end up with a bloodied bald head, but when it comes down to it, Austin would hit about a million chair shots then a stunner for the win.

5. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

Thanks for taking out the trash in round 2, Punk, but now it's time for you to go. Steve Austin has this match in the bag. The only way CM Punk has any hope of winning this one is if the SES or Nexus come down and help him, but even that wouldn't be enough to keep Stone Cold Steve Austin down, especially if he had just one of his buddies at ring side with him.

Steve Austin was unstoppable in his prime. End of story. Nothing could hold him back, nothing could keep him down, nothing could stop him. CM Punk has never EVER shown that kind of dominance, and I doubt he ever will.

Steve Austin will win this one after giving CM Punk two stunners. After the 10 count, Stone Cold celebrates with some beers, and he pours one into a barely conscious CM Punk's mouth. The taste of this foreign and strange substance wakes up Punk and infuriates him, but he just eats another Stunner before he can do anything about it.

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Why do I have to be the ******** to keep talking about Ring Of Honor in this tournament? I genuinely never thought I'd be that guy. And no, I'm not saying Austin wouldn't win; I'm not mental. Well, not mental in the sense that I make unorthodox choices during a fictional wrestling tournament at least. I'm just making a point.

Ring Of Honor is a company where two wrestlers would hit each other with stiff shots for an hour and a half and that'd be called a warm-up. Punk's infamous series with Samoa Joe, for example, demonstrates his tenacity and his ability to take - and give - a beating. So, you know, if anybody wants to try arguing for Punk I just provided you with something of a basis.

On a related note, if this had been a ladder match, I could have totally won this for Punk. I wanted to point out his incredible record in ladder matches at one point so, before Austin knocks him out (in more ways than one), I just wanted to point that out. Yep.

7. I Suck Ass

I Suck Ass I survived the Rapture

This would be an amazing match, no doubt. Punk and Stone Cold have both proven that they can go the distance in matches, such as Austin vs. Rock at WM17, and what Sam said about Punk in ROH.

I'm gonna go with Austin here, just because he is more seasoned in matches that involve long periods of time.

8. Big Nick Dudley

Punk was able to lure in the smarks during Round #2, but no such luck here.

I think this match would be rather entertaining to watch, with Punk making it much more of fight than the poll may end up reflecting. But Steve Austin has gone toe-to-toe, in this type of environment, with the biggest and baddest wrestling has to offer. Punk has beaten that same caliber of opponent. If Austin can beat The Undertaker in No Holds Barred, First Blood, and Buried Alive matches, he can take out Punk in LMS.

Austin wins.

9. The Crock

The Crock WOO!

My main argument for Austin: His WrestleMania 13 match against Bret Hart. It proves he's the toughest guy in the tournament, bar none. He refused to tap to the Sharpshooter, so he got knocked out cold. He withstood THAT MUCH pain! I see no way he would stay down against Punk. Austin has survived a hellstorm of brutal matches, and I see this ending no differently. Austin would keep surviving until... BAM he made his move. A few Stunners could change the direction of this match significantly. Also, don't forget about his WrestleMania X-Seven match with The Rock. He showed the amount of brutality he could bring to a match with all those chair shots he nailed Rocky with. Austin wins.

10. Teddy Irving

Teddy Irving Pre-Show Stalwart

I know im probably going to be torn apart for this but i can see punk winning this type of match. The man seems to have no concerns about trying to end another mans career. Take a look back to his debut on raw he walked in had a match with evan bourne(a man he seemed to have no open problems with) and put him on the shelf for months(kayfabe). He just doesn't care who he hurts or how it will effect there life. You even heard him tell bourne that it was nothing personal, the man just wanted to make an impact.

Now he is tossed into a match with a man that he is going to utterly despise for openly being a drunk in the ring. A man who has made a living of winning matchs and knocking back a few beers afterwards. Imagine what Punk is going to be willing to do to this guy. A man who has a history of a broken neck(and punk will know this) this gives punk a massive bullseye and he will have no bother taking it even if he kills the man for the 10 count.(kayfabe i know punk wouldn't literally kill a man lol).

Punk is well capable of dishing out a beating and well capable of taking one aswell. People can use the example of austin being a tough bastard for not tapping to brets sharpshooter and passing out rather than doing so. But think about it if the man is to proud to tap that he passes out whats going to happen when he passes out? That's right the count starts at 1 and ends at 10 giving punk the win.

11. The Crock

The Crock WOO!

What's Punk going to do to make Austin tap/passout? Lock in the Anaconda Vise, possibly. Even then, I don't see it holding Austin down. Austin is too good for Punk to knock him out. Punk is a wrestler that doesn't regard how his opponents feel, he doesn't care for what condition they're in, but Austin is the same way. Also, do you really think Austin wouldn't pick apart Punk's injuries as well? Come on, now. Austin is a brawler, but he's not stupid. The angrier Punk gets, the more aggressive he gets, thus making him more vulnerable to a quick strike Stunner from Austin. Also, if Punk had a "bounty" out on Austin's head and was truly trying to injure him, that would infuriate Austin as well. An angry Rattlesnake is no walk in the park.

12. Teddy Irving

I said nothing about punk making austin tap i was just pointing out that saying austin refused to tap to the sharpshooter and passed out isn't necessarly a good thing in a last man standing match. I amn't saying austin wouldn't go out there and try use punks injuries against him and that he isn't ruthless because that would be silly im just saying punk has just as much of a mean streak as austin. Who said anything about a bounty being on austins head? Was there a bounty on evan bourne that i was unaware of? I don't believe so i think punk just decided no matter who im against here, they're going on the shelf tonight.

Punk will dish out the punishment as good as anyone in the game and he will take a beating as good as anyone. He will pull out all the stops here and against a man he will truely hate(kayfabe) i can't imagine what he is capable of.

13. The Crock

The Crock WOO!

But that itself is just stupid. Even at the height of his "Straight Edge" phase, Punk couldn't destroy Rey Mysterio, even with the help of his disciples, sure he won a few matches, but lost the feud and he never "destroyed" Rey like you think he would do to Austin. To add on to that, Mysterio is a much weaker opponent than Austin, why would Punk suddenly just be able to destroy Austin?

Also, you're taking things too literally. The bounty on his head comment was just figurative, to advance the whole point you were trying to make. Punk isn't on the same wavelength of toughness as Austin is, Austin is by far the toughest wrestler ever. He made a career on that.

Big Nick Dudley likes this.
  14. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

This match right here is my dream feud. This would have been a great feud in the Attitude Era had Punk existed at that time. Beer drinking redneck vs The Straight Edge Messiah. The promos would have really been off the charts.

OK enough for my fanfare. Austin will take this match with ease. Austin is the toughest SOB in the WWE but somehow that bitchiness multiplies tenfolds whenever Austin is in a hardcore type of a match. I have never seen any wrestler use the chair better than Austin. He is really ruthless in his attack as Rock or even Triple H( watch No Way Out 2001) will tell you. Austin almost broke an unbreakable hold when he almost broke Bret's sharpshooter and the Anaconda Vice is a lot easier to break.

I like Punk, less than Austin but I do like him, but the draw is against him. The only match in which he would have a chance against him is a ladder match. But Austin easily has this in the bag.

This one ends in multiple chairshots which will keep Punk down for the ten count. Then Austin will have a beer bash when Punk, after ten minutes or so will wake up only to be offered a beer by Austin. Punk, repulsed by the sight of beer will try to throw it away and that will infuriate Austin. Austin hits a Stunner and pours beer on Punk's prone body to end this.

15. Smartie

Smartie Broski of the Week #22

SPOILER Alert :

One of the competitors is called "Toughest S.O.B in WWE"

Sorry to spoil the fun and give away the result.

The Last Man Standing is made for people like Austin.There really should be no debate.

16. Richard

Richard Est. 1991

CM Punk could very well win this.

I love it how people use the Bret Hart match to say how tough Steve Austin is. What was the result of the sharpshooter though? Steve passed out. What is the goal of a Last man Standing Match? Incapacitate your opponent so they can't answer the count of 10.

All CM Punk has to do is just smack Austin around and damage him up good and lock in the Anaconda Vice and just not let go. Lightning could strike twice and Austin could pass out, CM Punk stands up and counts to 10.

It may take some inteferance from Nexus, but CM Punk can get the job done.

17. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

I have to agree with Crock here, Austin is far too tough for Punk to keep him down for a 10 count, hell I can think of noone who could keep the Rattlesnake down that long.

Austin is vicious, aggressiv, strong and had a higher pain threshold than almost anyone else. In addition to the matches mentioned by Crock, I would like to refer to the 3 stages of hell match with Triple H. The punishment Austin took in that match was unreal, and he still kept on going. Also, what about the match where Owen Hart broke his neck. Did he stay down? Of course not. Austin got up with a broken neck and won the match.

There is nothing Punk could do to Austin that could keep him down. Austin is smart enough to see Punk coming, nail him with a chair shot and once the Stunner has been hit, can you see Punk getting back up? I can't.

And even if he did, another Stunner would end it anyway

Austin advances

18. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

See if we would have let Orton go through, at least there would be a valid argument for Austin's opponent in this match up since Orton has quite a bit of experience in Last Man Standing matches. He would have gotten crushed too but hey, he'd have a shot.

But here we are. Maybe the most, at the very least second most popular professional wrestler of all time going up against CM Punk and while he is a IWC darling, he's really a nothing in the grand scheme of things. When his career is over, the most he could hope for is a legacy similar to someone like Edge. That's still a bit of a stretch.

As for the actual match, no way Austin loses. I don't care if it was a Ladder Match, Cage Match, or a fucking Hog Pen Match. In no way does Austin lose to Punk. Austin walked out rather than putting over Lesnar. Punk is in no way comparable to Brock.

Vote Austin.

Big Nick Dudley likes this.
  19. Teddy Irving

I found punk to be quite weak in the whole ses bit, he seemed more intent on "saving" people then winning matchs. The only thing with mysterio that i can remember is the way punk interupted mysterios daughters party thing( the matchs were great aswell though).

I know austin is billed as the toughest sob in the wwe but punk is no slouch in that area either. The fact is punk is willing to do whatever it takes to win a match and although austin can take a hell of a beating people keeping using the bret hart thing to showcase his toughness. That is no use in this sort of match because, and lets just imagine this happened, Punk gets austin down after bloodying him up and slaps on the sharpshooter causing austin to pass out in pain. Is austin getting up before the 10 count here? I don't think so.

The natural- I am not trying to diminish austin breaking his neck in that match owen and say it doesn't show how tough he is but i don't think he particularly got back up :p he was down and out for the 10 count lol. As for 1 stunner keeping Punk down i disagree with that i think Punk would get up after a stunner. Maybe at a 7 or 8 count depending on when the move was hit. I honestly can see Punk beating Austin here.

20. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Punk is a twisted mind fuck of a character right now, I just don't see the viciousness to take down a guy like Steve Austin. The way Punk would keep Austin down would be something similar to what Cena did with Batista. Punk would literally have to somehow find a way to either tape Austin down, or bury him underneath something (see Jericho vs. Kane Armageddon 2000).

Austin gets the nod from me at this point, but I could be convinced otherwise. I give shit about Mania 17, but it shows the type of guy Austin is. He's a brawler first. He's a wrecking ball that tries to decimate people with a smash mouth style. Austin is also more sadistic (see Survivor Series 2000), he'll quite literally drop you inside of a car if he could.

21. Burnout

This is a dream match for me. I love Punk and all, but he just wouldn't be capable of putting Austin away here, especially in a Last man standing match. Austin was a force to be reckoned with. He was one of the main reasons WWE became so popular, and he was a dominant force. Punk could go over Austin, and maybe he would, but at the moment, I'm behind Austin. Punk is great in the ring, an out and out wrestler, but Austin's toughness would eventually prevail, and Punk would not be able to answer the 10 count, but no doubt there'd be close moments for Austin, he'd get there in the end.

22. Teddy Irving

CM Punk is as brutal as austin, he is willing to do whatever it takes to pick up a win. CM Punk is the man that has just recently shown that he can take down the face of the company(john cena) with a steel chair. He will use sneak attacks and any weapon he can get his hands upon. As for taking punishment Punk is the man who won 2 money in the bank matchs back to back. He is more than capable of taking a beating and continuing to fight on.
    You seen the amount of hate the man had for jeff hardy a man who is by no means as big as star as Austin. Just imagine how much hatred punk has for Austin, a man who drank after each match he won and sometimes he just drank because he was in the ring. Punk and Austin will absolutely brutalize each other in this match but in the end i see punk standing over austin after a gts, which would come after a massive beating with a steal chair. If the GTS isn't enough to take Austin down I'm sure a pepsi plunge will keep austin down for the 10 count.

23. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Wow, Punk took down Cena with a chair. Last week, Miz took Cena down with a title belt. Are we going to say the Miz is just as brutal as Austin? Austin had no problem beating the hell out of Lita with a steel chair. Is Punk man enough to do that?

Yeah, because MITB matches = Last Man Standing matches. All that laying around must energize Punk to win two of them. Austin isn't going to let Punk lie around.

How about the amount of hate he had for Undertaker, when you know, Undertaker beat him in less than ten minutes. Punk can bring all the hate he wants. Austin will still beat the shit out of him.

You must have some crazy dreams.

24. Teddy Irving

Miz ever put anybody on the shelf upon debuting on a brand just because he felt like it? Punk has evan bourne just recently returned after punk put him out(kayfabe) for no reason other than to make an impact.

Punk doesn't seem to have limits either. He is willing to ruin a little girls birthday party because.. well because he could. He hit Beth Pheonix with a gts in the royal rumble, so yeah i think if the oppurtunity arose he would hit a women with a chair.

I didn't say they were the same thing i was saying that Punk can take a beating and still go on fighting and in the end win a match. Austin might not leave punk lying around but punk wont leave austin lying around either.

His hate for undertaker wouldn't be the same as his hate for austin. Why you ask? Because his hate for austin would be born from the fact that he represents the type of people that punk hates(kayfabe) people who are not straight edge. Punk made hardy leave the company and that fued was all based around Punks hate of hardys lifestyle. He would hate austins lifestyle aswell because it revolves about drinking stevewiesers.

Austin has been put down for a three count with the pedigree and has remained on the ground after it for a while aswell. Top rope pedigree is going to do more damage than HHH's one would you not agree. If HHH can win a LMS match with a pedigree through a table punk can win one with a pepsi plunge, and if you want you can have that go through a table.

25. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Punk took out the almighty Evan Bourne. Real amazing. He interrupted a birthday celebration. So sadistic. Austin is the same guy who dropped HHH in a car tens of feet to the ground. Notify me when Punk has done something like that and notify me when HHH has ever won a LMS match with a pedigree.