• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brock Lesnar diagnosed with diverticulitis again.

Window Licker 101

Too interesting
Another UFC main event bites the dust.

UFC president Dana White announced today that former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has been forced to withdraw from UFC 131's main event due to a second case of diverticulitis.

Shane Carwin has been tapped as Lesnar's replacement and will meet Junior Dos Santos.

Lesnar was due to fight Dos Santos at the pay-per-view event, which takes place June 11 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The two serve as opposing coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 13," which completed filming this past February and is currently airing.

It's the second time diverticulitis has derailed Lesnar's career, though Lesnar said it's not nearly as serious as his first. In late 2009, he was forced to withdraw from UFC 106 due to an unknown malady that turned out to be a life-threatening case of diverticulitis, a digestive disease of the intestines.

Lesnar was hospitalized for 11 days and lost 40 pounds in his first bout with the disease.

White said Lesnar's second bout was diagnosed recently at the Mayo Clinic.

"He's got some serious choices to make in the next couple of weeks whether to fight this thing or to take surgery," he said.

Lesnar said his second bout with the illness hasn't been as serious as his first. Surgery could potentially jeopardize his future in the sport.

Lesnar, however, said he's not retiring from the sport.

"I've just got to find the right solution to fix this problem," he said.

:banghead: Sucks for Brock. I wish him a speedy recovery. Hell his fighting career might be over. TUF Coach matchups are always cursed! Anyway Carwin/JDS should be a stand up war and someone is going to sleep in my opinion.

I was about to post about this, this is just suck all around, not only for Brock as a human, but also because he is one of my favorite fighters. We can only hope he recovers and can come back soon.

Well, it sucks that another UFC main event gets cancelled, but on the other hand... I'm happy to hear that it's not as serious as the last time, and that Brock should be able to nip this in the bud much sooner than previously. Let's just hope the doctors can fix him up 100 percent and figure out a way to keep this from becoming a recurring theme.

Lesnar's a tough motherfucker though and I'm positive he won't let this be the end of him. He'll be back and better than ever, making headlines and setting UFC pay-per-view records once again soon enough. No doubt...

I love Lesnar man. Dude is as tough as they come. I'm upset that the fight is off, but i'm happy to hear it isn't as bad as the first time. He has had some bad luck throughout his UFC career, but he is one of the toughest dudes i've ever seen and one of my favorite fighters. No doubt in my mind that he will fight again. Hopefully this runs its course with no complications and we can see him back soon. I was really looking forward to his fight with Dos Santos as it was a great stylistic fight. Can't wait for him to get better and come back to kick some ass.

Prayers go out to Lesnar man, he's a tough dude and a great man. I'm glad to hear that it isnt as serious this time, and cant wait to see him back. The good news here is that we get to see the fight that i've been waiting and hoping for since Carwin and Dos Santos both became top tier HWs. Even though I love most of the guys at HW equally I have to say Carwin is my favorite and I cant wait to see his clash with JDS. Junior definitely has speed & better boxing, and I love the guy but Carwin is coming in hungry and he has a slight edge on KO power. It's going to be such a goddamn epic fight and I cant wait to see this card, even more now with the changed main event. As for Brock I cant wait to see him come back soon and fully recovered :)

Very unfortunate news. I wish Lesnar the best in recovering, but at least it isn't as bad as the first time he had it, which is a great thing. Hopefully he can recover and continue his career, but questions as to if he should will certainly come up. I hope he is able to continue though because I do enjoy watching his fights. They are always entertaining.

As for Carwin replacing Lesnar in his fight with JDS, I like it. I'm not a huge Carwin fan but he always puts on an entertaining fight. That, as well as the fact that you know both Carwin and JDS are going to throw some fucking bombs at each other, makes this fight one that I really want to see. I actually think this fight is better for JDS on paper then his fight with Lesnar was. You know what to expect with Carwin and that is for him to throw some leather, whereas Lesnar is a wrestler and much bigger then JDS. JDS can now worry more about how to deal with the size advantage of Carwin but not worry as much about being held down by a bigger man. Should be a classic slugfest for the ages in the Heavyweight division.

Lesnar has said that "this will not be the end of Brock Lesnar." That pumps me the hell up. There are a ton of guys who wouldn't have returned after the first incident. Now comes the same sickness as before, and Lesnar is still hell bent on returning. Right now, I respect Lesnar more than nearly every other fighter. People say he runs when he gets hit, and he doesn't have the heart of a fighter, well I call bullshit on that. This is a guy who wants to fight, and will do anything to fight again. I love that guy.

As for the new fight, if Carwin was smart he would use his wrestling and test Dos Santos ground game. What will likely happen though is that Carwin will stand and give us a fight for the ages. Both will have their chins tested multiple times and we will get to see what both are really made of. If Carwin can refrain from becoming a vegetable after the first round, I see him taking it. If not, Dos Santos should finish him in the second.

Hope Brock gets better.

I like this match up alot more actually. Both JDS & Carwin can stand & bang, while JDS is more technical, Carwin's got some big hands along with solid wrestling. To me Carwin is Lesnar with better hands(I'd still say he beats Brock in a rematch)

Cain has his hands full. He's either gonna fight a wrestler with KO power or a boxer with a Blackbelt in BJJ.

The timing couldn't be worse. With the amount of big named fighters on the shelf (Jones, Edgar, Cain and now Brock just to name a few) it is starting to become a problem. the fighters dont choose when they are injured, now comes the scramble of changing the adverts, Fight cards, etc. I hope that Brock can come back stronger, he is a big name fighter who is responsible for some of the biggest buy rates in MMA.

The timing couldn't be worse. With the amount of big named fighters on the shelf (Jones, Edgar, Cain and now Brock just to name a few) it is starting to become a problem. the fighters dont choose when they are injured, now comes the scramble of changing the adverts, Fight cards, etc. I hope that Brock can come back stronger, he is a big name fighter who is responsible for some of the biggest buy rates in MMA.

Well, moron, diverticulitis isn't like Cancer where it comes back out of nowhere. Brock literally chose not to eat more vegetables and cut more meat of his diet, and look, here we are.

I love Brock, don't get me wrong. In fact, I've already pre-ordered his book... but he 100% brought this upon himself this time in regards to diverticulitis.

In short, like it or not, Brock chose when "he was on the shelf"

I know some won't buy into it, and it's not even really a conspiracy...but I believe a lot of what Roy Nelson said at the time. I don't think they knew for a fact Brock wasn't going to fight, but I definitely think they knew it was a possibility. I think Brock let them know ahead of time that something was up and they kept Carwin opponentless for so long because they knew they might have to switch things up. Rather than messing up the entire season of TUF (which wouldn't have been that bad really since this season is horrible) they tried to work through it and things just fell out. Everything was too coincidental for something like this to not be the case. Either way, I hope Brock comes back better than ever. There are few fighters who get me as pumped for a fight like he does.

It may not be as cool as Lesnar vs Dos Santos but Carwin vs Dos Santos is almost guaranteed to end with a knockout. Sure, I know that every time a fight is guaranteed a knockout it doesn't happen but I really don't see any other way for this to turn out. The two most powerful hitters in the division and both want to stand. I think we might be seeing the knockout of the night bonus going to one of these two men. Hopefully Dos Santos.

Well, moron, diverticulitis isn't like Cancer where it comes back out of nowhere. Brock literally chose not to eat more vegetables and cut more meat of his diet, and look, here we are.

I love Brock, don't get me wrong. In fact, I've already pre-ordered his book... but he 100% brought this upon himself this time in regards to diverticulitis.

In short, like it or not, Brock chose when "he was on the shelf"

A lot of injuries can be avoided, even in many cases of cancer where people who got it were living unsustainable life's through poor dieting etc. And physical injuries can be recurring due to people just not taking the necessary precautions to avoid but the point is is that many injuries fighters receive aren't the result of freak accidents and they don't just 'come back' but due to whatever decisions the fighter makes on how to live their life.

I really couldn't give a shit about Lesnar getting 'injured'. He was careless and he deserved it. Junior and Carwin is a perfectly suitable replacement for me and I'll be looking forward to their fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back