• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Broadcast Booth Revamp in 2015: Josh Mathews to Play-by-Play, Tenay as Correspondent

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
This from TNA Insider:

As we reported earlier, TNA seems to be poised for some form of reboot for Impact Wrestling, complete with new look and more for their Destination America premier in January 2015. Now The Wrestling Observer newsletter is reporting that former WWE color commentator Josh Mathews could replace Mike Tenay as the lead commentator. Mathews would be working with Taz and Tenay could possibly keep some other on-air role with the company.

--

Tenay is actually among the contracts up for renewal, so it'll be interesting to see if they bring him back at all, or if they simply start fresh in 2015. I'm not a huge Tenay fan, though I do enjoy him from time-to-time, but I'd hope they would find a way to give him a proper send off. Having him simply not come back is a little anticlimactic for a guy who has called every televised match in the company's history to this point.

Matthews seems like a shoe-in for the booth regardless, though.

Alledgedly, Tenay is staying on a different role. I feel he should play the role Borash did for this week's Thanksgiving special. A host for the show telling us what's going on for taped shows instead of phoning it. I think Taz would be better on the creative team or road agents and leaving the commentary to Borash. If the idea is to be fully new, keeping Taz isn't gonna be "new". Borash isn't commentating often enough to feel as stale as the other guys.

The TNA announce team needs a revamp for sure, but it's Taz that should be replaced, in my opinion. He doesn't add anything to the show and just talks because he has to most of the time.

I would love to see what Josh Matthews and Jeremy Borash could do at the announcers' table. Tenay knows his stuff, but it's a different generation of "sports entertainment", and his ship has sailed (even though I still enjoy his work). Simply put: Taz needs to go, he is TNA's version of Jerry Lawler - cash the check, go through the motions, Taz even forgets what he's talking about mid-sentence (it has happened on multiple occasions). And please don't bring Don West back!

I like this move, I think Josh Matthews would be great for TNA. I like Mike Tenay but his time has passed. I think he would do great for Lucha Underground and he should consider it.

Now I think TNA should make a move on Colt Cabana and remove Taz on color commentary. I mean WWE was courting Colt Cabana for an announcer position that turned sour after the CM Punk pod cast interview... this could be TNA's gain?

Maybe that will entice CM Punk to come one day given all the issues with WWE, if TNA set themselves up right, they could have CM Punk within the next year. I mean his buddy is Colt Cabana right? If he's part of the announcing team he know's they would put him over. Wrestlers are an insecure lot.. this will only help entice him to come. I would LOVE to see Hardy vs CM Punk one more time!

I wasn't a huge Josh Mathews fan but he's ok. Tenay's time has definitely come and gone. I still like Taz but he needs to have good action in front of him and the right co-commentator. I really like Matt Striker as a commentator. If they are going to continue to use Dreamer then that is a natural link. Surely he could use some extra money and have a good gig on TV.

There has definitely been an improvement in the commentary. Perhaps because they are doing the whole thing from TNA HQ rather than in the arena but it is off better quality. Whatever the combination (Mathews and Taz is fine) hopefully that trend can continue.

You know, I'm all for this. In my honest opinion TNA should try and have sort of auditions for their commentators. I'd love to see some young, fresh individuals behind the booth. Why is the broadcast table neglected so often? I feel like it's almost as important as the match sometimes. Instead TNA treats it like a minor part of the show when it really isn't. I really want to see young people in those chairs. I'm talking in their 20's or early 30's. People who are passionate and edgy and think outside of the box. It can add SO much to the show.

I love Taz, I love Tenay, but they need to go. Give them other roles if they're useful, but out of those chairs. TNA needs a new sound. Make it happen.

I've thought for a while now that Tenay & Tazz have simply being going through the motions, the commentary was becoming unbearable at times, maybe the stresses of not knowing if they're going to have employment was affecting them, but regardless of this, I'd say their time in the booth has gone.

I'm glad Matthews is being given a chance, who to put beside him I'm not sure, give Dreamer or Jerry Lynn a tryout.

I always felt he was best as the third man in the analyst role. I don't know much about the new guy, but a three man booth with Taz as the color guy might work.

Looks like Matthews will indeed be joining the broadcast team this January, as he seems to have "spoiled" the news on Twitter:

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-04%20at%2011.00.18%20AM.png

The most interesting note is still Mike Tenay, and whether he'll also be there, as his contract is rumored to also be up.

Looks like Matthews will indeed be joining the broadcast team this January, as he seems to have "spoiled" the news on Twitter:

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-04%20at%2011.00.18%20AM.png

The most interesting note is still Mike Tenay, and whether he'll also be there, as his contract is rumored to also be up.

I like it if it becomes true. Mike Tenay has been very stale for the last 5 years now. If there is one thing TNA needs to get younger in, it's in the commentary team. Josh Matthews brings a fresh voice, fresh perspective and a new style.

Tenay has been stale for yeas; his chemistry with Taz(z) is awful. I think Taz is good when he is paired up with the right guy that can sell his jokes.

I am glad, we need to lose Tenay. The guy is just boring now. Taz is funny, well to me he is. The only issue is see with this is people criticizing and stating it's another attempt of being "WWE". Simply for the fact it will be Taz and Mathews in the booth. I really like the change it will be refreshing for sure.

I wish they would have kept Todd Kneely (sp), even though IDR hated him. I thought the guy had potential and was a true change. Kneely, Borash and Mathews would make a great three man booth. I will be waiting for TNA to be back on my TV to truly hear how this change will be.

I'm pretty fond of Mike Tenay, I seriously hate Tazz though. Josh Matthews and Mike Tenay would be a good combo. Or get rid of Mike and get a whole new duo, I wouldn't bat an eye if they did that, but I doubt they'd do something like that.

And I hate to say this, as I don't usually mind TNA taking WWE's talent, but I don't know how I'd feel if both commentators and the ring announcer had jobs at WWE. I know its nothing big, but it just feels weird thinking about that.

Even more confirmation that Matthews will in fact be joining the commentary booth from his official Twitter account:

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%201.23.01%20PM.png

TNA themselves have yet to officially confirm this, but he did tweet at @IMPACTWrestling here, so I'd imagine he wouldn't have done so were the cat not out of the bag already.

--

Another update via TNAInsider:

The Wrestling Observer reports that Mike Tenay will be staying with TNA for another year, but he’ll no longer be the lead announcer for Impact Wrestling when it moves to Destination America next month. Mike Tenay will still be sticking around as an on air correspondent. Tenay recently signed a new 1-year contract with TNA.

Read more: http://www.tnainsider.com/2014/12/update-mike-tenay-tna/#ixzz3LcZ8qHZS

So it does appear Mathews will directly replace Tenay, who will remain with the company for at least 2015 as an "on-air correspondent"... whatever that is.

I'm no fan of Tenay or Tazz. I find them boring, uninformative, out of touch etc. Josh Matthews is a step up from Tenay, but not a game changer. When I think of a top commentator today, I think of Joe Rogan. To me, anyone can do what Mike Goldberg does, but Rogan is the game changer and apart of the success and intrigue of the UFC.

Off the top of my head the guy I'd bring in to commentate for TNA is Colt Cabana to replace Tazz. Like Rogan he has an informal, welcoming podcast and he's a personality the fans would enjoy listening too each week. He also gives TNA the option of using him as a wrestler (as does Mathews) or having the wrestlers encounter him which use to happen a lot more in wrestling but in TNA, the announcers might as well be on another planet.

Cabana is with the times and if they could of gotten him for what they're giving Matthews, I rather him instead.

Tazz is basically collecting checks right now and I don't think he even knows what he's suppose to be doing... but I digress.

Am I losing my mind, or does Josh look like Sam Shaw there? Anyway, I really wish they would bring back Don West. Those two on the booth together would be a nice change of pace. Don really has that believable shock voice that TNA needs, and so does Josh. I'm not mad at Taz staying. I wish TNA had gone to a 3-Man team with Mathews, Taz, and Tenay but I'm not mad. I just hope they stop at their attempts at being funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back