brittany griner: can she change women's basketball?

BooCocky

On A Nature walk with Daniel Bryan
I had this thread in my head for a while but i wanted to let the hype die down.

If you dont know she is the dominating center for Baylor. She's like 6'8 and an absolute force on the defensive end. She blocks everyone and everything. She carried Baylor to the final four until Uconn beat her. She recorded 35 blocks throught the tourney. Thats outstanding. Lisa Leslie was the face of the WNBA but she was never dominant like Griner. Leslie didnt do enough for the WNBA. Griner has that potential, she's a bully and a beast to boot. She's a dominant scorer and a more dominant defender. Does she have the potential to put women's basketball on the map?

Personally I think so, she's exciting to watch and can only improve with age. The women are scared of her to be completely honest. She has all the tools to change the sport for good. She can be the dominant force the sport has been looking for since its inception...

Do you believe she can change the sport?

No. She's just the next great woman's basketball player. Like Diana Taurasi and Candace Parker before her, she has a lot of hype but nothing will come from it other then being the first pick in the WNBA draft and being a star player in the league. I truly believe there is no woman that will ever be so good she can put woman's basketball on the map.

Cheryl Miller first made woman's basketball relevant in the 80's with her dominate play in college and on the US Olympic team. Then in the 90's and early 2000's players like Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoops, and Rebecca Lobo made the WNBA a somewhat credible league. Now players like Taurasi, Parker, and Griner are the future of woman's basketball. However, it is a future that does not include the sport being "put on the map" like you are suggesting.

You got to look at it like this, people love dominant players the women's basketball has ever seen anything like her. As an occasional NBA watcher I prefer to watch people who have the ability to take over the game. Griner can do that and on both ends. She has the potential to get the sport a lot of publicity because she's a freak of nature. She's a swatting machine and can score. Leslie who I believe to be the most recognizable womens player wasn't a freak of nature. She could dunk a basketball but she couldn't give you 20 and 15 like Griner.

Personally I believe she can change the sport. She's going to be the most dominant player ever.. For right now, at least.

You got to look at it like this, people love dominant players the women's basketball has ever seen anything like her. As an occasional NBA watcher I prefer to watch people who have the ability to take over the game. Griner can do that and on both ends. She has the potential to get the sport a lot of publicity because she's a freak of nature. She's a swatting machine and can score. Leslie who I believe to be the most recognizable womens player wasn't a freak of nature. She could dunk a basketball but she couldn't give you 20 and 15 like Griner.

Personally I believe she can change the sport. She's going to be the most dominant player ever.. For right now, at least.

Lisa Leslie averaged around 20 and 10 for her college career and she averaged 19 and 10 as a freshmen. Griner only averaged 18.5 points and 8.5 boards. Now I know she was a freshmen and that is still very impressive but it isn't anything mind blowing that puts her ahead of names like Leslie and Parker. The only stat category she stands out in is blocks. She can definitely become the most dominant defender woman's basketball has ever seen but there are a lot of players who have her beat when it comes to scoring and rebounding.

I don't think anything can save the WNBA other than making them models and have skimpy uniforms. People want action and for the most part, the WNBA is very slow paced. While a dominant player may help her team sell tickets a little, it still won't help overall.

No I don't think that she will help women's baseketball get on the map, I don't think anything will help women's basketball on the map. For the most part women's sports are just women trying to play the same game men do, and most people watch pro sports to see the best of the best compete. While the WNBA is the best of the best female basketball players, no great female player will ever beat a great male basketball player, that will keep people from watching women's sports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back