• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bring back the European and Hardcore Titles.

mkw1962

Getting Noticed By Management
Today we talked a little about the post on bringing back a second World Title. That got me to thinking how about just elevating the U.S. and I.C. Titles and than bringing back the European and Hardcore Titles for the mid-card wrestlers too battle for. You could have main event wrestlers going back and forth to make it very interesting.
EXAMPLE:
World Title Seth Rollins,Sheamus,Roman Reigns
U.S. Title John Cena,Randy Orton,Dolph Ziggler
I.C. Title Ryback,Kevin Owens,Cesaro
European Title Neville,Stardust,Miz,Rusev
Hardcore Title Dean Ambrose,Luke Harper,Bray Wyatt
Tag Team Title New Day,PTP,Dudley's
So what do you guys think wrestlers can go back and forth, your thoughts please.

I wouldn't mind a Network Title, which is only defended on Network specials and live events. I also wouldn't mind a European title, which is only defended in Europe, and an Asian title that is only defended in Asia.

However, the Hardcore title was garbage, hardcore wrestling is garbage, and it really just doesn't belong in a WWE ring anymore. CZW is plenty willing to give anyone that wants to watch a Deathmatch, about 7 a week over there. There's not even any thrill in it anymore.

If they brought back more titles, than in all likelihood we will see a champion not defend one of the belts for months on end again. I'd rather they cut back on the belts and focus more on the wrestlers progressing to the point that a title shot would be something we'd pay to see-let alone the championship match. With more belts comes more paper champions.

I wouldn't mind a Network Title, which is only defended on Network specials and live events. I also wouldn't mind a European title, which is only defended in Europe, and an Asian title that is only defended in Asia.

I like this sort of idea. They are overseas often enough, at least in Europe, to have something defended. Maybe have some sort of inaugural "Cup" tournament and, for conversations sake, Barrett wins it. Next time they go back to Europe, have a mini tournament, battle royal or #1 contender's match to face Barrett for the Cup. And so forth. It would be a special attraction strictly for the European countries.

The United States title shouldn't be elevated over the Intercontinental title.

And no. We don't need more titles.

We need a world title, the IC title, tag titles and a Women's title and that's it.

And this is coming from a guy who would love to see a Cruiserweight division again.

But when I think about how pointless it was in WWE the thought leaves my brain.

No more titles.

And definitely not a Hardcore title again. That was a certain gimmick for a certain time for certain wrestlers that expanded into way too many people holding that title.

I love the idea of resurrecting the European Title, and have been advocating it for years now. It gives all the guys on Main Event something to aim for, and would make the show worth watching.

WWE doesn't anymore titles. A true hardcore division just won't work in this era.

A European title could work, considering there are a good number of European stars on the roster, not that the champion needs to be European, but it would be nice to center the division around those guys.

I just don't see the need for it unless there is a brand extention. And WWE has actually booked both IC and U.S. titles very well since before Wrestlemania.

I wouldn't mind seeing the European, Hardcore AND Cruiserweight Titles make a return, as WWE has so much television time these days that there's no reason that they couldn't have compelling storylines for these titles, instead of using SmackDown as a fucking Raw catch up show. Programmes like Main Event/Superstars etc could have main events of European Title or Cruiserweight Title matches which could actually encourage viewers to tune in. Plus, with a European (or TV Title) lower card wrestlers would actually have something to compete for rather than meaningless matches with no end goal. A Cruiserweight Title would provide something different to the roster too, and as shown by the likes of Jericho, Guerrero, Mysterio etc it needn't be a glass ceiling for the smaller wrestlers if they are booked right.

However, in the current era with the banning of blood and headshots then a Hardcore belt simply wouldn't work, it would just look a pathetic, watered-down version of what it used to be.

There is no reason to bring back the European or Hardcore Championship. I understand missing old titles. Heck, I miss the big gold World Heavyweight Championship and the WWE Women's Championship, but bringing back old titles would not accomplish anything right now. Sure it would get us more title matches for Night of Champions, but what about the rest of the year? What could the European Championship possibly do that the Intercontinental or United States Championship can't? Don't even get me started on the 24/7 rules that the Hardcore Championship had. Others mentioned the Cruiserweight Championship.... Its last champion was Hornswoggle. Do you really want to see Hornswoggle VS Torito again? Chances are that is what's coming if that belt came back. The title tier is fine just the way it is. No need to bring back old titles as they would easily get lost in the shuffle, as the WWE can't even make the Intercontinental Championship matter.

My idea would be to have the IC title defended only on Smackdown and the US title only on RAW or vice - versa, elevate both and give some meaning to TV every week, only have WHC defenses on PPV's and even then not at every PPV.

You can't add any more titles at the moment because it would be over saturated, you've got the WHC, IC, US, Divas, Tag Team plus NXT, NXT Divas and NXT tag titles as well. I don't even really see the sense in having both the IC and US titles unless they are going to mean something

Why would anyone want to limit when and where a title is defended? I mean Smackdown is simply at the moment nothing more than an extra show and nothing like its heyday to warrant limiting a title to it.

Everyone sees the European title in some weird hindsight, it was retired twice. The first time by Shane and when it came back was held by lower card wrestlers who had questionable win/lose records with the exception of when it was put together with the IC title (D'Lo, Jarrett, Angle). It wasnt a very good championship and the US title pretty much serves the same purpose today.

The hardcore title would not fit into current WWE, that title was for its time, the world has now moved on.

There is no need for additional titles, if they needed another midcard title they would use the US title, which acts like the extra.

With that said they could come up with a new idea to replaces the US title with title that reflects that wrestlers home country or region, meaning if Barrett wins you have either an UK/English title or European title (although this could be a PR nightmare given the whole England/Scotland/European identity issues), a Canadian title, Bulgarian title and so on. Gives a sense of purpose that the wrestler wants the title to 'bring home' and sees an influx of new titles to market from a business point of view.

Why would anyone want to limit when and where a title is defended? I mean Smackdown is simply at the moment nothing more than an extra show and nothing like its heyday to warrant limiting a title to it.

Everyone sees the European title in some weird hindsight, it was retired twice. The first time by Shane and when it came back was held by lower card wrestlers who had questionable win/lose records with the exception of when it was put together with the IC title (D'Lo, Jarrett, Angle). It wasnt a very good championship and the US title pretty much serves the same purpose today.

The hardcore title would not fit into current WWE, that title was for its time, the world has now moved on.

There is no need for additional titles, if they needed another midcard title they would use the US title, which acts like the extra.

With that said they could come up with a new idea to replaces the US title with title that reflects that wrestlers home country or region, meaning if Barrett wins you have either an UK/English title or European title (although this could be a PR nightmare given the whole England/Scotland/European identity issues), a Canadian title, Bulgarian title and so on. Gives a sense of purpose that the wrestler wants the title to 'bring home' and sees an influx of new titles to market from a business point of view.

Simple, if you make a title exclusive to a show and and give it meaning then you give people a reason to tune in.

The US title is more over than the IC title at the moment, Cena's run has made it the second title in the company, it's part of the main event scene at the moment with Rollins holding it and defending it at NOC against Cena. The IC title was supposed to have gone in that direction but has ended up with Ryback, so I would view that as the lower of the two midcard titles at the moment.

The European belt was made for a tournament over in Germany to give it some meaning, it only had relevance when The British Bulldog won it and defended it at the One Night Only PPV in England in 1997. Not sure why they kept it around after that to be honest.

From a logic standpoint having THE WORLD CHAMPION as the top belt obviously works and having the US CHAMPION as the second belt and no. 2 guy or top midcarder works because it's like you have the world champion then the national champion as the stepping stone belt to get to the World Championship level.

At this point I would like to see some more prestigious and worthy title to be brought back into the WWE. European title wouldn't be a bad choice for itself as it can defended multiple times a week. But unfortunately, Hardcore Championship is far beyond from being considered as one of the greatest titles in the WWE history. And defending it every here and there around the backstage interviews? It's the Reality Era, fans are more smarter than ever, they wouldn't even consider this as a title. The product should be for the Universe!

Cheers!!

I'd rather see one out of the US and IC titles be done away with and thereby, have just 1 title per tier.
I.e: 1 WORLD title, 1 Midcard title, 1 TAG title, 1 Divas title

Use the Midcard champion as the main guy on Smackdown and as a way to elevate a guy from Midcard to Main Event level, whilst the World champion appears mostly on RAW and PPVs to emphasize his superiority over the other superstars.

Worry less about titles, and make those with them matter through good compelling storylines for title defences and creating good contenders for each title. Then and only then, will we see an improvement in general WWE programming.

I agree to bringing back the European Championship Title Belt and the Hardcore Championship Title Belt. We need a 4th tier and 5th tier singles division in the WWE today. There are too many Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainers fighting over nothing. If they were all fighting for the # 1 contenders spots in each division, then fine, but they are not.

Just as an example, imagine at SummerSlam 2015, what it would be like if Dolph Ziggler vs. Rusev or Kevin Owens vs. Cesaro was for the European Championship Title.

Just as an example, imagine at SummerSlam 2015, what it would be like if the Arrows vs. the Cosmic Kings or the Shield vs. the Wyatt Family was a Fatal Four Way match for the Hardcore Championship Title.

It would make those matches a little better with Gold on the line. I even think Sheamus should have put up the Money In The Bank briefcase on the line against Randy Orton, and I don’t even like it when the MITB case is on the line in a singles match.

Yes, I have a fetish for "leather and gold", but I think bringing back at least these 2 Championship could generate a little more interest. With Seth Rollins holding the United States Championship, we only have 4 Championship Titles and 5 Champions (6 if you count Xavier Woods). This is a taste of what it’s like to have only 4 Championship Titles. How do you all like it so far??

The purpose of a championship, in my eyes, shouldn't be having it around just so someone can be champion and that's all I'd see for a European or Hardcore Champion.

The European Championship is something that I'd only revive if WWE opened a European branch that strictly worked & toured in Europe with European wrestlers and used the title as its main event championship.

As for the Hardcore Championship, there's definitely no use for it that I can see. A lot of guys in WWE back in the Attitude Era, wrestlers & management alike, hated the term "hardcore" in & of itself and a lot of them still do today, Triple H in particular. In a day where unprotected head shots & blading aren't allowed, for genuinely good reasons, it wouldn't be long before the terms like "watered down" started showing up. Every so often, someone will post something criticizing WWE for its lack of over the top violence. I definitely have no interest in the 24/7 rule; the Hardcore Championship changed hands some 200+ times in its less than 4 year existence and that's taking playing hot potato to a whole new level.

I definitely have no interest in the 24/7 rule; the Hardcore Championship changed hands some 200+ times in its less than 4 year existence and that's taking playing hot potato to a whole new level.

See, I enjoyed that. Although the matches in the earlier days of the Hardcore title were better than the silly 24/7 rule matches we'd see in bars, airports etc I still found the constant title changes fun. It was something different and meant there was always the chance a title would change hands on any WWE show. It wasn't a prestigious title but if offered entertainment and sometimes that's all you need.

For example, I thought the show-long storyline at WM18 where impromptu matches happened throughout the show as the champion tried to escape the arena was really fun, and I always enjoyed the time limit Hardcore Title matches were the belt would change hands several times, right up to the last seconds of a match. They were always entertaining and gave the opportunity for some lower card talents to hold a title belt, albeit briefly.

I'm sure that even with the PG restrictions, the wrestlers could be creative enough to make a Hardcore title work these days (although it would have to be watered down), and could have some enjoyable matches. I don't ever expect to see the belt return though.

Again, this is pro wrestling, it's not an actual sport - you don't need a heap of championship belts, they are only a prop used to elevate a performer's status or to give a deeper meaning as to why two guys want to fight each other.

On the main roster there are already FIVE champions (counting the tag team champions as one) so you already have five storylines being carried by a title belt

That's five matches that should be at almost every pay per view

so you already have five major storylines running each week. Then you can run two or three angles based on other reasons why those performers want to fight each other

adding more is just being lazy as far as creative goes and will devalue the existing belts

the title name tells the story itself. us and if title never became primary title. so European or hardcore belt don't bring important for midcards.
I like to bring back WHC Title to smack down and make brand extension. it gives lots of new world champs. it wwe won't unify the whc belt right now we see ambrose, rusev, reigns, Cesaro, ryback are former whc champ. whc belt is a stepstone for wwe title.

Why? There's absolutely no purpose in bringing those titles back. The Hardcore Title was great in the Attitude Era days because it fit the mold of the era. We've moved on from that. There's no need for it.

The European Title was always absolutely ridiculous. I never understood it. Was it supposed to be only defended in Europe? Why was it defended in the US? Why did you just have to give a title to a guy that had absolutely nothing to do? There's no point to it now.

The WWE needs more title, but along with adding more titles they need to package people accordingly. Another couple of titles would open the market and give more reasons for titles and fights. Examples Sheamus/Orton grudge match....Really Why? Cesaro/Owens....again Huh? Zayn/Owens oh yeah I get that.

The question is what titles to add and how to work them in?

First addressing the complaints of so many HBK, Rollins and other smaller guys holding what we call "Word Champion" but what world? the WWE world. When it was originally called Heavyweight title. This how every sporting competition works based out of weight classes. When you watch Boxing Do you think about the current Heavyweight....Nope, But you think about Mayweather and Pacquiao. Do they lose respect because they only fight their weight class no. WWE needs to re-adopt this ideal.

HeavyWeight Champion, LightWeight (or other name), Tag Titles, IC title, US title, Divas title, Women's Champion, Hardcore Title. Now the pecking order

US title: WWE wants to Push this American pride that is sweeping the nation so run with it. WWE United States Champion. This gets a new Bigger look but still support the Red, White and Blue.
The WHY: Having this at the top title makes sense (a little more later as you read on) Having the Pride of America and the WWE can always be a simple storyline twist for any issues in and out of the WWE ring. YOu Want to bring in another Sheamus (Irish) trying to take the title home Such a simple reason making life easier on the Creative team.

IC Title: This title is perfect for the "JOHN CENA open challenge" type of deal, Every Week this title is defended Raw and Smackdown anyone of any weight class can Challenge for this title at any point. So at least 2 times a week we can have this title defended, giving you a main event every single TV spot, PPV and Network Special. Similar to what is trying to be done with the US title, Downside no one cares. This would be another easy booker for Creative team. When you want to bring up a Star like Owens, Zayn or even Baylor when the time comes. Instead of tossing them VS a Proven star like Cena and then squashing them later.

HeavyWeight title Weight limit Over 230 Formerly known as the World title. Since this is no longer the top title it can be defended or not defended. This is the Perfect title for a Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, or even The Rock. Since we know at some point Lesnar will win the world title again and go on his long ass annoying breaks, leaving the top title undefended for months. Now he can have this title as the big guy champ and avoid fights like we know he does. Now this doesn't mean he can't challenge for the US title, but this gives WWE creative team and out for part timers like Sting, taker, Rock, Batista, Lesnar and more.

Cruiserweight or Lightweight title The name here needs some work to try and keep it relevant. But when I see matches Like Rey Mysterio/Nash, Rollins/Lesnar or Neville/Barrett Big show/Miz I scoff, These matches seem stupid. But give a Leader Like Rollins the lead here, he and other could hold Cruiserweight and US title, Showing that some Lighter guys are champion Materials. Bryan, Rollins, etc those guys Under 220 how can fly. Now you have a place for the Neville and what not, But as well all know as time goes on these guys will add on some extra weight and look more of a big star. This title would give another placeholder some time off between events. See unlike other title the story doesn't need to be built to strong, Because a champ can sit back and watch the division unfold before he fights. Another title than can be used for part timers.

Tag titles Not much to say here, it is what it is.

Women's title There is an Obvious difference between women wrestlers Paige, Naomi, Charlotte and the Bellas, Amanda, Eve Marie. One group are legit women with wrestling talent and tons of skill and those who a sex toys for top WWE stars like Daniel Bryan and John Cena. So we take those great women wrestlers and you give them this title and let them fight over it at PPV's and you build your divison around them.

Diva's title Now since the above title is for those real wrestlers, we don't want to keep the sexy honeypots just on a lame reality show. So the Season Finale of the show can have a match and then have them show up at Major events like Mania, Summerslam and Royal Rumble. So the title can stay on one boring person just to promote Total Divas. To push it even further you could have a Champion vs Champion Diva's vs Women match at Wrestlemania.

Hardcore title
So what do we do with those guys on the roster that You like because they are funny but really have no purpose like Bo Dallas, Zach Ryder, Swagger, etc etc? Simple you give them this title. Don't make it a 1/2 broken title of the old days, but instead give them something new and special.
I know so are saying they hate the idea, but let me see if I can change that. First off open your mind to hardocre title, Back stage fights etc. This doesn't have to be a ECW style blood and gore match. It only means falls count anywhere. 24/7 title defenses, yes is it stupid? Sure a little but also it bring a little comicalness to some bland programming. Some of the ideas ( and I am not creative) could be funny and insane. We already know the WWE love to change title and flop people around, but they also like to do cool charity events. But even as dumb as the 24/7 title defense was at times, it sure as hell beat anything done with Torito and X. So the WWE has an issue and needs to write in a few mins of TV time.....Hardcore title video int eh back.
Just some off the top of my head ideas, WWE is Huge on make a wish and Military, Not all Make a wish people can go to live events, Hardcore title defense in the hospital. Is the idea stupid made to you sitting behind a computer screen, but it isn't stupid to a dying child who always wanted to see a live match but never had the chance to see one.
Military loves wrestling and having a autograph signing end in a hardcore match where the victor runs off into the sunset would be a once in a lifetime moment in their lives.
Finally my favorite one, Xavier woods, has got to be one of the most pointless people in the WWE imagine he is shown getting his referee certification "Per se" and he can help NEW Day win this title, since they three are assumed to be traveling together stupid things can happen. This is a perfect fun title for Pre shows, I see people like Torito, Ryder, Fandango, Slater etc doing this and the best thing is you can have it as a network push notification. You are sitting there and you phone goes off......Slater chases Torito for a Hardcore title. Open the network and there is a video of Slater chasing a bull around. (Stupid for so many fans, Great for so many others) plus a reason to spend 9.99 a month.

You have to remember millions watch the WWE and it's products, something you might like other's you hate.....Just look at John Cena. Trying to reach a bigger group by giving more options is great.

WWE is NOT going to bring back the Hardcore title anytime soon, as hardcore matches go against the family-friendly vibe WWE wants to promote these days. As for the European title, that was a pointless championship and nothing would be gained by bringing it back. I know people think that having more titles helps create more storyline opportunities, but the more titles you have, the less important they become.

I've not read any of these comments yet. But I vote NO on the hardcore title...it was changed every 5 minutes. And with pg era now it would suck..

But the Europene I'm all for it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back