Bret Hart - International Draw

DhA

Pre-Show Stalwart
I always hear, from Bret's DVD, to people on the forums how Bret was a big draw internationally, as in all over the world (we all know his drawing figures nationally weren't that good), but my questio nis, what do you think it was about Bret that made him have such an appeal?

Being one of the best in North America, without being American. That is the simplist answer I can think of. That is why I was exposed to his work in Canada. Before he even went to the WWE he had done tours in Puerto Rico, Japan, German, Britain, and was exposed there.

I always hear, from Bret's DVD, to people on the forums how Bret was a big draw internationally, as in all over the world (we all know his drawing figures nationally weren't that good), but my questio nis, what do you think it was about Bret that made him have such an appeal?

Why don't you tell us what YOU think?

He drew in the UK because of the whole Bulldog thing, during the last Hart foundation incarnation it was because he was made a heel by having anti American sentiments, something the rest of the world had at that time.

He was a big draw oversea's because he was a great technical wrestler. Most international fans are big fans of the technical style so it's just natural that they'd want to see the WWF's best technical wrestler. It's kinda how Bryan Danielson is today. He gets booked all over the world because he's considered the best technical wrestler in the world, much like Bret was.

There's a few reasons why I think he was, for one Bret toured so many of these countries before he became a big star he started to develop a little bit of a following so when he became big he already had a bunch of fans. He worked in Puerto Rico, Japan, Germany and other European countries before he even made it big in the WWF. According to Bret's book Vince told him that he was getting as much fan mail from people overseas as any wrestler in the company, only Hogan rivaled him in that aspect and this was before he was ever World Champ, I believe this was when he was still in the Hart Foundation or maybe just after that so if that's the truth it shows just how popular he was even at that stage in his career.

Another reason is that his holesome image he had made him real popular overseas because many of the people there put less emphasis on mic skills and how flamboyant you are like people in the states do. Bret came across as a likable guy, and a good role model which is something people really appreciated overseas unlike here where by that time people only liked the wrestlers that they thought were "cool". Also unlike some major stars he toured those countries regularly and headlined all those tours so people got more exposure to him. So when you add that all up these are the reasons why I think he was.

As has been mentioned, Bret was the best pure wrestler in the world at the time, and to everywhere outside of the US, that is more important. He was also a great role model for kids, so parents would let the kids watch it. I read somewhere (wish I had a link but couldn't find one), that one year in Germany, he was voted in a non-wrestling magazine as both most popular athlete and best role model. That is very impressive if it is true, and shows exactly how popular he was.

The best in North America and Canadian! That says a lot! Plus Canada is a much more appreciated and adored country than the US no offense to u americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back