• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BRAND EXTENSION/DRAFT Thread: Keep It All Here

Tag Divson ?

• Yes , Get The Tag Divison Back !

• No , Its Fine Now

• Am On The Fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Really does it surprise you at all though regardless which brand they are on you see atleast one raw guy on smackdown every week and vice versa, thats why Raw is the Supershow now with Blue letters indicating Smackdown talent, and Raw showcases talent on Smackdown on Friday nights, but furthermore you have one man running two shows, so they could run guys from either show as well, so no matter how you slice it there is no reason this match wouldn't happen

The Brand Extension didn't really end, the OP has a point. All they did was feature Smackdown stars wrestling on Raw, but they had little to no mic time to develop stories and I don't believe ever really crossed stories to the Raw promotion. They were just kinda there.

This should be the IWC's dream feud. I have a feeling it will be an amazing feud and normally Over the Limit is the worst PPV of the year, so why not? I just don't understand what motivated Jericho to want to come back and lose every PPV. Makes no sense. Where does he go from here?

The whole brand extension thing has died, i think we can all agree
What im pissed about is that YES chanting irritating scrawny piece of cat shit danny brien (intentionally miss spelt as iv nothing but pure loathing for that former nexus trash) has once again been given a title shot ahead of more deserving talent such as randy orton, mark henry, miz, ziggler, rock, brock, cena, and hell even kane.
Come to think of it id rather see hornswoggle, mae young or even josh matthews get a shot at the gold before that total 1 dimensional tool that WWE has forced me to endure

My favorite WM moment ever is sheamus beating that turd in 18 seconds btw, ironic aint it lol

p.s i know that all the DB fans are probably gonna throw their retorts at this statement, but as a wise man once said " IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK"

Many including myself were anticipating the yearly WWE Draft to take place on last weeks RAW. Mostly every year since its debut the Draft has taken place just weeks post-Mania however instead we were given a pretty, well, lackluster Contract signing between Lesnar and Cena. So now the question is will the Draft even be taking place this year or from now on and therefore is the Roster split removed? Daniel Bryan a SmackDown superstar challenging current RAW world Champion CM Punk backs the idea that the Draft and Roster Split is done for. And if so here's what I feel WWE need to do.

Have RAW superstars compete on SmackDown on a regular basis
With no Roster split means there's no competition between the two rosters in terms of ratings etc. There is now no reason why RAW superstars can't entertain us on Friday Night's now that there is no Roster split. In fact it basically means that superstars not actually even part of either RAW or SmackDown. So seeing all members available to compete on any show is rather interesting for the fans. But unfortunately it does mean that talent such as Michael McGillicutty, Curt Hawkins and Tyson Kidd who some might say are 'underused' or 'deserve a push' will barely have air time due to WWE's top stars appearing on both shows.

Keep the current title list despite there being no line drawn between the World Champions
The strange thing about no roster split is that you have two World Champions appearing possibly on both shows. Current champions, CM Punk and Sheamus are now just Champions no longer Champion of their said brands. It will probably mean WWE just keep Punk on RAW and Sheamus on SD without them parading onto each others shows so that the fans don't get confused.

Drop the 'SuperShow' name
Horrible just horrible. A little issue I have with WWE currently is this stupid gimmicky name given to RAW since the announcement that SmackDown superstars were eligible to show on RAW. Sounds so over-commercial and is the type of name you'd give to a House Show.

Replace the Draft with something else
The Draft for me has always been an extremely entertaining night and certainly would always make me want to tune in. Just the whole set-up was intriguing and the whole "special feel" really interested me. With it gone it leaves a hole in what was a good ratings draw year after year so i'd look to replace it. We have the somewhat weak Slammy Awards, the common 'PPV preview' Shows and the special one-off's such as the Monday Night RAW Legends special back in 2010 I believe. So why not come up with a new concept that has the same sort of feel as the Draft, perhaps a concept that sees new Number one contenders made? A special where superstars pick their opponents. Just something fresh.

Finally, have a Bussiness type set-up for your Authority Figures
Currently we have John Laurinaitis as the General Manager of both brands. Mix it up a little and perhaps have new Authority positions at disposal. Perhaps Laurinaitis is the so-called Manager of WWE and he has two assistants that lead RAW and SmackDown with all superstars eligible for them to book. Maybe Eve can be the SmackDown GM and a figure such as David Otunga be the RAW GM. Something creative so that we can enjoy both shows with a lot more Power being involved.

To end this I would just like to say that if WWE want the Roster Split but no Draft and for Superstars to just be able to appear despite being on a seperate brand, then please make NXT more marketable as a brand. Make it your 3rd brand with actual young and new talent on it NOT looking to break out, just competing week by week and feuding with perhaps the occasional 1 or 2 matches being shown on PPV to culminate the rivalry's on NXT.

Hear me out, I know the WWE has been lazy when it comes to the brand-split, it's been that way for quite some time now, For over a year now we've seen more Smackdown superstars appear on the RAW brand, even to the point where they dubbed it RAW: Supershow which sees Smackdown superstars appear on the show on a weekly basis, but we've also seen RAW guys appearing on Smackdown. But now with Daniel Bryan, a Smackdown superstar going for the WWE Championship which is RAW's main championship, as well as Chris Jericho, A RAW Superstar competing for the World Heavyweight Championship, Smackdown's main championship, can we say that the brand-split in WWE is done with? Or soon to be?

I think they are working toward phasing it out. In the past couple of years they've united the tag belts, dropped the women's championship in favor of the the Divas belt, John Lauranaitis became GM on both RAW and Smackdown, and with the RAW Supershows wrestlers from both shows appear on Monday Night which has pretty much always been the important show.

I agree that they're trying to phase it out. When they first started the supershows, I thought it was just part of the road to wrestlemania but now that they've kept it, it's starting to look like they're going to get rid of the split altogether.

I do think they'll still keep Smackdown on the air but it will also be a "supershow" where anyone can appear on it and wrestler for any belt.

This begs, the question, are they working towards a WWE Championship-World Heavyweight Championship unification match? I think they could be building towards that for the main event at Summer Slam.

What you always got to bare in mind when you talk about the brands coming together again is all of WWE's tours. With the way it is at the moment, they get two lots of tours, reckon they'd want to sacrifice all that extra money? I personally don't. Would be interesting cause they sure as hell are making it seem like they want it gone.

What I see the WWE doing is getting rid of the brand split, but possibly keeping the current titles on a specific show for a while, just let the wrestlers challenge whichever champ kind of thing

I really don't see the brand split ever ending. I think the Raw Supershow is just to see who gets crowd reactions or to see how they would preform on a live show. I think WWE is trying to repeat history and no one sees it. I believe it was Survivor Series 2009 where we had John Cena (Raw) vs HHH vs HBK (Smackdown wrestlers) and Undertaker (Smackdown) Vs Jericho vs Big Show (Raw wrestlers). It's nothing new just only it's single matches this time instead of Triple Threat matches.

CMPlank is who we should listen to! The Kayfabe element of the brand split is gone to an extent, and nobody really cares except for those who enjoy the draft or those who hate the supershow, but the branding is essential to the touring capabilities. With Branding they can have a Raw and Smackdown tour, with decent drawing power on both and make twice as much money, hit twice as many places, without reducing the quality of either show, or risking the health of the superstars. Most title belts will more than likely stay branded to add to the drawing power. Combining them would be silly and that way we wind up with an even more diminished top card!!

the brand split has disappeared long long time ago. WWE have sd and raw guys cross competing for the title. It just shows both brands' world title picture are weak, lacking star power and good feud.

think about it, what can you do with these guys right now. They fought each other already. WWE needed something new so they have to mix it up. Look how dense their main event picture is.

Raw:
cm punk
miz
jericho
big show

smackdown:
sheamus
orton
del rio
bryan

Hear me out, I know the WWE has been lazy when it comes to the brand-split, it's been that way for quite some time now, For over a year now we've seen more Smackdown superstars appear on the RAW brand, even to the point where they dubbed it RAW: Supershow which sees Smackdown superstars appear on the show on a weekly basis, but we've also seen RAW guys appearing on Smackdown. But now with Daniel Bryan, a Smackdown superstar going for the WWE Championship which is RAW's main championship, as well as Chris Jericho, A RAW Superstar competing for the World Heavyweight Championship, Smackdown's main championship, can we say that the brand-split in WWE is done with? Or soon to be?

It could be possible, or I think Daniel Bryan might be quietly shuffled to RAW, while Jericho may be moved to SmackDown to boost its star power. In the case of Daniel Bryan, I think they're moving him to RAW because his presence on Smackdown is hurting Sheamus due to the 18 second match at WM.

The title matches of Wrestlemania 25 were cross brand and no one questioned whether the brand split was ending.

I agree that they are phasing it out and I am okay with it.

But I raise a more important question!

Then WHY HAVE TWO WORLD TITLE BELTS ANYMORE?! especially when we all know that the world title is that "wcw title" looked down on my vince and the rest of creative. It is basically the new IC belt. A stepping stone on your way to "the real" big one.

... Oh, bye bye! That's right, as most of you would have figured, the brand extension is coming to an, but is it really a good thing? Well, in this thread we're gonna see what you guys think of that! Just a breif re-cap on the brand extension, feel free to skip this section if you are fully aware of it.

---

The brand extension was the impact of happened post 'Monday Night War' days, once WWE bought out their competitors, there was no competition to go up against... So in a sense, Vinnie decided to create it's own competition, within itself!

And thus two brands were born that harty day, RAW (Known for it's RAW, undying passion of entertainment) and SmackDown! (Smacketh-Downeth, the hot spot to see some pure wrestling talent).

For many years these two shows co-exist, with a steady share of titles and exclusive content. Some people would watch RAW, but not care much for SmackDown! In turn people would enjoy a good lengthy SmackDown! and turn off for RAW.

Even with spererate PPVs, these two shows would come together offically 4 times a year, for the WWE's 'big ones'. No I'm not talking about Mr. McMahon's grapefruits, I'm talking about bi-branded PPV's, the oldest and wisest on the list. SummerSlam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble and WrestleMania!

Over the years both RAW and SmackDown! Have traded titles, content, superstars and yes even General Managers over some points. They've even been at war a couple of times, with historians naming these crusades as 'Bragging Rights', but one thing always seemed to stay the same, these two shows co-existed, worked together and were the two bright lights of this company...

---

So anyway, enough about history, with Triple H unoffically combining the two shows when he annouced SuperShows, ever ssince then superstars from the two different rosters have been going back and forth; and titles have won on the opposite roster. The fellowship is broken... I mean brand extension.

With that said is it a good thing? Well this is where you come in, I want you guys to give me your answer and explain your answer, like so:

EXAMPLE:

No, I do not believe the brand extension breaking is a good thing, I enjoyed having some variety within the week, enjoying some superstars then totally different one's later on in the week. It'll also give younger superstars less air time and not be as diverse as it once was. The planning will be squished together and that combined with the advertising and Michael Cole INSISTING he give wrestlers pointless interviews, in my opinion, just means things are just gonna get messy!

I loved the brand extension and I am sad to see it fade away...

Now your turn!

Bad Bad Bad Idea

I would like to see them end it sort of. Combine the titles and have a Champion, US Champion, Intercontinental Champion, Tag Champs, Womens Champ. BUT use smackdown to build up new guys and admit it's your B show and have the lesser belts defended more often on that show. IF they are going to start having all the stars on both shows then NO I don't like it because it will over expose. Worse it will give them a better chance of getting injured..

So if they are going to unify the championship but still use Smackdown to build new talent then I'm all for it, if they are going to have both belts and ask the stars to wrestle more then I don't like the idea..

Before the brand extension what did we have?? the best era of pro wrestling in history ( IMO) I liked the origional idea of the brands but in recent years the drafts became a joke and superstars turned up on both shows anyway so in a way im glad its dying out, i used to love the all out anarchy of wwf so hopefully a return is nigh. They will probably bring the concept back in 10 years time when vince buys tna and makes another "war" to draw ratings

I was just thinking about this tthe WWE draft was supposed to had been happen it was due to take place in April. Now usually it happens after wrestlemania and its a huge ratings boost for the night. Yet it didnt happen for the 1st time since it became a actuall important event. I personally believe that the Raw supershow that isnt even a special anymore killed the WWE draft. The draft was to make new storylines and give superstars and title belts a different scenery. But with the brand extention not being divided whats the point in drafting a superstar from smackdown over to raw if they already appear on raw as a regular?

Do you think the Raw supershow killed/replaced the WWE draft

Did you like the draft if so would you want it to return?

Do you perfer the flagship show to contain all the superstars making the brand extention somewhat pointless?

I think so.

Yeah. Draft was always entertaining. I actually liked how they did the draft in 2005 when it was called "WWE Draft Lottery" and only 1 wrestler was drafted per week continuing for a month.

Do you perfer the flagship show to contain all the superstars making the brand extention somewhat pointless?

No. I actually hate the supershow concept. With Brand Extension both shows were treated as equal but now RAW is the superior brand. There is no reason for having Smackdown now as all things happen on RAW. Everybody returns on RAW, Raw's storylines are always the main focus, etc.

I'm glad it's done because they don't have the talent or creative team to support truly seperate brands any longer. They need to combine and unify all the titles and just be done with it all together now.

I forgot all about the draft. Raw turning into a Supershow has definitely eliminated the need to have the draft. Everyone from Smackdown for the most part show up on Raw now. It would be best to unify the World Heavyweight Championship and the WWE Championship into the WWE World Championship at some point as well. They can keep having two midcard belts so more midcard talent can be showcased, but like the tag teams and divas, the world titles have reached a point where we only need one.

I liked the draft. Each year it got exciting once it was "time to shake things up again!". Some years were definitely better than others. 2008 when Smackdown inherited a lot of Raw guys such as Trips and Jeff Hardy, and it was also where JR and Cole traded jobs. Most years after that it was just roster shuffling for the sake of roster shuffling with perhaps a belt trading shows. I would often laugh at the screen with everyone's mugshot resembling the "choose your character" screens from games like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. The draft is no longer needed now because Raw is the flagship show while Smackdown gets to show storylines of both "brands" as well but focusing on the guys who do not make it onto Raw. It would be almost pointless to do one this year. I enjoyed all of the old drafts though. I will miss the concept if they did away with it.

I've been waiting for a thread that addressed the quiet demise of the brand extension. This'll do.

I personally believe that the Raw supershow that isnt even a special anymore killed the WWE draft. The draft was to make new storylines and give superstars and title belts a different scenery. But with the brand extention not being divided whats the point in drafting a superstar from smackdown over to raw if they already appear on raw as a regular?

The Raw Supershow is the main program to showcase WWE talent and storylines. Smackdown is just another medium to start and develop storylines.

They can still have feuds and storylines with the entire roster instead of limiting them to only half the roster. Who cares about the titles, they're only props and hold the same value as their counterparts.

What do you mean what's the point of drafting superstars anymore? They obviously won't be doing that anymore hence superstars appearing on both shows.

Yes it killed it. It was quick and painless. I'm surprised people are just noticing.

I started watching about half a decade ago and wasn't always able to watch both shows. Every time the draft came along I was angry when a favorite was drafted to the brand I had no access to at the time. Fuck watching it on Telemundo, it wasn't the same.

Definitely. Storylines now span across both shows, thus building feuds more efficiently (somewhat.)

I think/hope the reason Raw has gone to SuperShows is to slowly showcase all the title holders including the World Heavyweight Champion on the road towards unifying the WWE and World Heavyweight Championship.

The US, IC, Tag and Divas Championship can stay as is because they serve their purpose but having a WWE and a World Heavyweight Champion in the same company really seems silly. ... It never used to because the brands and rosters were mostly so separate it made sense to have a 'top prize' for both brands ... but now with Sheamus, Orton, Bryan, etc. etc showing up on Raw regularly it makes no sense to have a World Heavyweight Champion too.

Raw is and always will be the main attraction but honestly the new show Main Event is better in a lot of ways than SmackDown because it has a good video package promo to build up for the first match, then a strong match ensues, then another little video package or promo for the next match which is usually alright as well and then before the end of the show usually a preview of what is to come next week.

Whereas on SmackDown you get a lot of rematches from Raw (and even Main Event) and not much purpose behind the low-card matches. Only sometimes, like now when SmackDown is building participants for the Elimination Chamber is there actually some reason to watch SmackDown.

Also they need to get rid of this "GM of SmackDown" vs "GM of Raw" differential because it doesn't even make sense. What or who is Booker T the "GM" over anyway? Anybody can turn up on his show but he also sometimes shows up on Raw to make matches saying "I was given permission to do so" ... so enough of that garbage! Just have ONE GM of Raw AND SmackDown and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back