• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boxing material

Ferbian

Has Returned.
So I'm writing a project on boxing, and I was thinking if anybody knows any good places to read up on stuff other than Wikipedia (thinking the teacher might like if I had more than just Wikipedia links)

My headlines is:

How did Professional boxing get started?

Why is it professional boxing is a part of MMA? (or any just any relations to MMA and boxing)

What is the rules, techniques and styles of Boxing?

Who is the most noticeable professional boxers of all time and why did they become so popular?

All these questions are pretty self-explanatory.

1. I am sure that boxing was started for rich white people. I am unsure if it was completely started for this reason but the reason it was so popular in the streets of history is because rich white people used to love watching black people pounding the shit out of each other. I remember reading a journal from Muhammad Ali and it stating that that was the reason that most people got into it. It was a source of income for black people and meant that they were slightly safer in a ring than fighting in the streets.

2. MMA is all-encompassing and of course contains boxing. It also contains Kick-boxing and muay-thai but they remain independent sports too. I like to think that MMA tries to be as expansive as possible to attract the biggest crowds.

3. Rules can be found on Wikipedia or under the respective commissions webpages.

4. Try Lennox Lewis, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, George Foreman.

Ali is probably the best of those and it was due to his charisma and skill that he got that far. He was like The Rock of the boxing world.

I have no clue about where you're from, but here in America we have these places called Libraries. Free book rentals. People who are usually willing to help you find what you need. All that awesome stuff.

Oh, and Rocky Marciano > all the other boxers mentioned so far. He never lost, after all.

And another famous boxer, Rocky Balboa.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I know the stuff is pretty self explanatory Dave, but I have to write about 6 pages about it :p

And stating myself and a forum as my source, wouldn't come off very popularly :rolleyes:

Use magazines and books as examples as well. Several have been round for a long time and The Ring itself has a world heavyweight championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back