Boxing Disappoints Again

146091582_extra_large.jpg

This past weekend, Timothy Bradley beat Manny Pacquiao, ending Pacquiao's storied winning streak. The decision, to put it bluntly, was absolutely ridiculous. Pacquiao outboxed Bradley during the duration of the bout, with the judges somehow not going his way. It may have been rigged, it may have been faulty judging, but it was clearly an illustration of what boxing has become today. Boxing used to be THE combat sport, it used to provide exciting fights and buy rates that were almost untouchable -- then, you look at today's boxing product (specifically Bradley/Pacquiao) and see how far it has fallen.

The fight this weekend ended whatever bit of a "boxing resurgence" I'd had as of late. I'd watched Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward on the anniversary of the legendary first fight, and actually started getting excited for future fights -- I was honestly becoming a bit of a boxing fan again... Unfortunately, Bradley/Pacquiao ended that. That has sort of become the norm with boxing, though. Every hyped fight ends up disappointing, whether it be with ridiculous decisions (both of Pacquiao's last fights, to a degree) or just plain bad boxing. Boxing cannot live up to the standard it once set.

So, do you guys think that boxing will ever recover? Will it ever stop disappointing or is it just going to end up dying a slow death?

Personally, I just can't see boxing ever returning to its former glory. Boxing is now firmly planted behind MMA and even loyal fans are starting to question why they're still watching. Boxing's biggest stars are all nearing the end of the road, with nobody truly good enough to take the mantle (Timothy Bradley will never replace Pacquiao, much to Arum's chagrin). There are no fights left that I want to see, save for Pacquiao/Mayweather, but even that fight probably won't happen. The sport just seems tainted, at this point.

So, do you guys think that boxing will ever recover? Will it ever stop disappointing or is it just going to end up dying a slow death?

To answer your question I don't think it ever will recover. I don't think it will every truly die off but there just isn't any intrigue in the sport anymore, too many blemishes on the sport if you ask me.

I've remember my moms husband saying to me when I was 11 "boxing is the most crooked sport on this planet". At the time I didn't quite understand what he was saying but after watching fights such as Lewis vs. Holyfield 1 (in which Lewis got SCREWED out of the title which he won the next fight) and fights like Bradley vs. Pacquiao I understand it quite clearly. Its a sport run by gamblers and con men to put it bluntly.
The truth is there was no way Pacquiao was winning that fight unless he knocked Bradley out, its that simple because the fight wasn't even close.

Even if the fight wasn't fixed (which I don't believe personally) it will never be fair and legitimate unless they get rid of judging completely. Even if all fights are fair there is always the possibility of straight up bad or biased judging, there's no way to get around that. Frankly I think a scoreboard or something of that sort would be the best way to go. Instead of having 3 different people judge it just have a scoreboard and the ref decide who won each round and give a score each round (so after round 1 the score will show 10-9 and after each round it updates). This way it will at least limit biased judging (or reffing) because it will be that much more obvious and when a fighter is down it can help them regroup because they will know for sure whether they are up or down. Not nearly the best way to go but I think its better than what they currently got. If you want to make it 100% legit the only way to do it is to change the rules or have the rounds go for an eternity until someone is finished, otherwise things like this will be rampant from now until infinity.

All I'm gonna say is I don't see boxing changing, they will never reach the heights they once had and I see it doing nothing but regressing more and more throughout the years.

At this point, I've lost all hope. I started to get excited with Cotto and Margarito's almost WWE-like feud and then Cotto and Mayweather put up a fun night. But now this? Boxing already took a few hits from retirements, career-ending accidents and deaths in recent months. Now we add faulty officiating? I realize that's always been looming, but damn. It's a real shame because I feel the talent is there, but the unbelievable lack of organization seems like it's gonna plague boxing for years to come.

Punches.jpg

"CompuBox: Every punch counts"

Well apparently the judges didn't get that memo. Last time I checked, 253 punches landed is more than 159. But what do I know? I'm just a 19 year old college kid, not a licensed judge of the Nevada State Boxing Commission. Pacquiao swept the floor with Bradley, winning every round. Hell, you could even toss two or three rounds Bradley's way and Pacquiao still should've come up on top by a considerable margin. You only need to hear the concern in Bradley's corner during the fight and see him running away in the face of Pacquiao's power to know he didn't deserve that victory.

Ridiculous. Pacquiao landed nearly 100 more punches than Bradley. As complex as boxing can be, you can't really argue that the guy that punches more and gets hit less ought to be the winner. As for whether or not boxing will die out, probably. The sport already has a hard enough time earning credibility these days and then something like this happens? Damn shame.

I'm not going to go back and repeat everything I said on this last month. The sport is far from dead but it's incredibly badly managed, too many boards, too many weights. I'm fairly sure it'll never die because once it stops being profitable it'll allow for reorganisation.
As for MMA, I couldn't give a toss.

I've been a lifelong boxing fan, it's been apart of my upbringing, my family, and just a huge part of my life in general. My dad who was a successful boxer in his day, started teaching me from a young age and helped develop me into a proficient boxer myself. I illustrate all this to emphasize how close to the sport I have been all my life and how much it's meant to me personally as both a pugilist and a fan, which leads me to my next statements.

I watched this fight live, and like every other big fight I kept my own scorecard. I had it 119-109 which equates to 11 rounds to 1. I gave Bradley the 10th round, and he only got that because Pacquiao clearly took the round off a bit and Bradley worked his ass off to make some kind of a comeback in that round. It was still apparent however that he was out of his depth against Pacquiao and just couldn't be effective enough to win the rounds. That being said, I was appalled when I heard the decision and a robbery of this magnitude has really put me off of boxing at the moment. It's not just this either, recently there have been two high profile fighters (you may not know unless you follow boxing) Lamont Peterson and Andre Berto who both tested positive for banned substances, scrapping two great fights that were to occur, and you have the ongoing back and forth between Floyd Mayweather and Team Pacquiao as either side does everything imaginable to keep the fight from happening which is rather discouraging, Paul Williams paralyzed, Shane Mosley and Antonio Margarito retiring, and it's been a rough go for boxing recently. I've heard of trial and tribulation but this seems to stretch past that.

I don't know if boxing can ever recover from a robbery as blatant as this. It's a shame because whether some of you are aware or not, there is a great talent pool out there right now from bantamweight on up to light heavyweight, and you have two of the most dominant heavyweights of all time in the Klitschko's. Boxing "talent wise" is actually in great shape, but with all the garbage that's surrounding that talent it has been a major detriment to the sport. Add to that the fact that due to boxing's prominence slipping, most of you probably couldn't name me a champion from each division(not including the sub-divisions just the straight up weight classes) which isn't a knock on any of you by any means, just a point to show the lack of fanfare and coverage. There have also been a lot of great fights over the last few years that may have went unnoticed to many folks who don't follow it as closely as a boxing nut like myself. The talent is out there, the fights are out there, the problem is that too many weight division, too many sanctioning bodies, and too many corrupt promoters, and sport authorities are also out there.

I think if you simply stopped people from gambling on boxing that would fix a lot of it. Once there was no gain outside of the sport other than having the best fighters and holding the titles, that would at least be a good start. Everything gambling touches it taints, combat sports are no different. The more money there is to be made and is involved, the easier and more likely it becomes that corruption of this nature can and will arise. I also think that in order to keep this kind of faulty judging from occurring there need to be strict, clear cut criteria set for judging a fight. As is, it's left to the judges discretion, meaning the judge can simply say "That's How I Saw It" without needing to provide any further explanation. That would be another big step in correcting some of the issues surrounding boxing.

The sanctioning bodies and multiple weight divisions are somewhat necessary and I don't think there is any way around it. Boxing is a world wide sport, and I think it would be somewhat unrealistic to expect ONE governing body to keep track of all the fighters around the world and to create the rankings on a world wide level to some extent. However, Futbol does it, so why can't boxing? You'd still have to have a lot of titles. You can't expect Britain to no longer have the British Commonwealth titles, it's a national title recognizing the best in Britain, and that goes on to a lot of other countries who do the same. It would still help though not to have 70+ sanctioning bodies diluting the rankings and titles. As it stands the system allows for fighters to amass numerous titles to show their supremacy, and fighters to still reach a championship level without having to be the one and only champion which is good because it sets up fights between champions, and gives everyone something to shoot for. It would be somewhat discouraging if you knew the only way you'd ever get a title is if you were the absolute #1 in the world. Instead you can get the WBC title, the IBF, IBO, WBA, you can be recognized by The Ring as the legit champion of a division, and there is room for everybody to succeed to some level and create competition. We just don't need so damn much of it. Take it down to being the few top recognized sanctioning bodies and allow national titles and nothing more. That would help identify the best of each nation, and then the best in the world. The weight divisions don't need to change either if you ask me. They are the way they are to make sure the fighters are a evenly matched as possible. Weight does make a difference, especially at that level. A good example was the Juan Manuel Marquez vs Floyd Mayweather fight. Marquez is a natural lightweight, and Mayweather a more natural welterweight. They fought at 145, which was higher than Marquez had ever fought, and the size and strength difference was so lopsided it made for a less than competitive fight. So, there is a reason you have a junior welterweight, welterweight, and super welterweight, lightweight, featherweight, middleweight, etc..... I do agree however that, that shouldn't necessarily equal that many more titles. there should just be the titles for those divisions and whether they are at the normal, junior, or super divisions that's what there is.

Pacquiao was robbed. No doubt about it. I watched every second of that fight and there was no doubt in my mind that Pacquiao won at least 9 rounds. Watching it again I saw nothing different.

That said, I don't understand this huge uproar against Boxing. MMA has the same problem with shitty judges. It's an athletic commission problem, not a boxing problem.

Also, even though he clearly won, Manny looked like shit. He's on the decline of his career and he's obviously not taking this as seriously as he was in 2009 and prior. It's also obvious if he were in there with someone like Mayweather Saturday he would have gotten completely manhandled. Because of that it's hard for me to get too upset about this. Manny Pacquiao doesn't care, so why should we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back