• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Booby Lashley Signs With MMA Group

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
I know it says booby.

- Former World Wrestling Entertainment performer and decorated amateur wrestler Bobby Lashley is the latest signing for the Kentucky-based American Fight League.

A source close to the 31-year-old told MMAjunkie.com that Lashley will be introduced as an AFL signee -- perhaps the organization's biggest to date -- during tonight's "Bulletproof" show at Phillips Arena in Atlanta.

Rumors of Lashley's possible transition into MMA heated up over the past month, but few expected such a high-profile figure to sign with an organization so new to the national scene.

AFL officials declined to comment today, but one executive said some "major signings" will be announced at tonight's show, which features a main event between AFL lightweight champ and former UFC fighter Diego Saraiva.

Terms of Lashley's contract aren't known, but it's expected to be a non-exclusive deal.

Lashley, of course, won't be the first WWE wrestler turned MMA fighter. Former WWE superstar Brock Lesnar signed with the UFC in 2007 and debuted with the organization in February. Lashley is unlikely to match Lesnar's popularity in MMA, but like his fellow WWE alumnus, he's likely to convert some pro-wrestling fans into MMA viewers.

The AFL, a Kentucky-based organization born from the Caged Inferno promotion, has held three events to date. Its first arena show was held in March at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky. Tonight's "Bulletproof" show is the first-ever MMA event to take place in Phillips Arena, which is September's rumored UFC 88 host venue.

WrestleZone will probably post this sometime within the next 12 hours. Lucky for you I have nothing better to do, other than Google.

So Lashley leaves WWE a couple of months ago. Now he's ready for his first pro MMA fight. Doesn't seem like much preperation if you ask me. Especially since he's going to be a total rookie. Will the guy have any striking ability? It took Lesnar a good year or so to get ready for his first fight, he also still made a mistake in his second. Not that it matters. I'm sure Lashley will lose, and be happy with the money. It's just a stop gap until he goes to the non-racist TNA.

This will have little effect on the MMA scene as of now. He has little training under his belt which will give him little support from MMA fans, and he wasn't as big as a name as Brock was so he won't get as much outside support. Also, more people are aware of Brock's national wrestling career than they are Lashley's.

Bottom line, there is a reason Lesnar is already in UFC while they are not even considering Lashley.

This is no shocker. There wasn't much of a varied decision for Lashley's career. I was pretty sure he was going to go to MMA. Anyways, even with Bobby's legitimate amateur wrestling history, he's still too fresh to jump straight on the MMA stream. Unlike Brock, who took time off to prepare, he's going straight into a fight. Unfortunately, the decision does not favour him. In my opinion, he should wait a while, and train.

Again, unlike Lesnar, Lashley is not as popular, and may not be considred by many big companies (such as UFC). In my opinion, he'll be back in pro wrestling in no time.

I think if bobby lashley is going to pursue a career in MMA this is the best way for him to do it start out slow and actually fight guys on his level and slowly make his way up through the ranks of that company until eventually (if he sticks with it) getting an offer from a company with a PPV/TV deal such as Affliction, UFC, Elite XC, HDnet where after honing his skills he could become a very talented fighter

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back