Boardwalk Empire - HBO's Attempt at Re-Creating Sopranos Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
boardwalk-empire-poster.jpg

HBO was at one point, the king of cable television. They took the first real true step in airing gritty dramas that were like nothing on television. They had the biggest show on television in The Sopranos, which truly revolutionized television as we know it. Since then, other channels like FX, AMC, and Showtime have gotten into the market of putting on dramas that are too risque for network television, copying HBO's model, and they've gotten to the point where they've surpassed HBO in putting out quality television.

Since the Sopranos ended, HBO hasn't had a true drama that they can hang their hat on and build the station around. Sure, they have True Blood, burt people either love or hate it. Same with Big Love. They pulled the plug on great shows like Deadwood and Rome prematurely. And they never got behind the great show that is The Wire. They need a show that creates major buzz for the network, and they're hoping that Boardwalk Empire is going to be that show.

When does the show air?

The pilot airs September 19th at 9:00 EST.

Who is behind Boardwalk Empire?

Boardwalk Empire is produced by Martin Scorsese. He is directing the $20 million pilot. Terrence Winter, who wrote some of the best episodes of The Sopranos, is the head writer.

What is the show about?

America in 1920: The Great War was over, Wall Street was about to boom and everything was for sale, even the World Series. It was a time of change when women got the vote, broadcast radio began and young people ruled the world.

On the beach in southern New Jersey sat Atlantic City, a spectacular resort known as “The World’s Playground,” a place where the rules didn’t apply. Massive hotels lined its famous Boardwalk, which featured nightclubs, amusement piers and entertainment that rivaled Broadway. For a few dollars, a working man could get away and live like a king – legally or illegally.

Who does the cast include?

The show is made up of an ensemble cast, with the protagonist, Nucky Thompson, played by none other than Steve Buscemi.

boardwalk-empire-tv-show-poster.jpg

The undisputed ruler of Atlantic City was the town’s treasurer, Enoch “Nucky” Thompson (Steve Buscemi), a political fixer and backroom dealer who was equal parts politician and gangster and equally comfortable in either role. Because of its strategic location on the seaboard, the town was a hub of activity for rum-runners, minutes from Philadelphia, hours from New York City and less than a day’s drive from Chicago. And Nucky Thompson took full advantage.

The antagonist is played by Michael Shannon, an incredibly talented actor who's been in a bunch of things, most notably, Revolutionary Road. He will be playing Nelson Van Arden, the agent who is going to be trying to take Nucky and his organization down.

Other cast members:
Michael Pitt (Funny Games)
Michael K. Williams (Omar from The Wire)
Kelly McDonald (No Country for Old Men)
Dabney Coleman (You know who he is)
Gretchen Mol (You might know her from her horrid performance that nearly ruined Rounders)

I'm really, really psyched about this show. It already has potential to be awesome, and then you have Scorsese having an active role in the show's direction as well. Between this and Dexter, Sunday nights at 9:00 are going to be stacked.

Agreed. I have been excited for Boadrwalk Empires for some time now, mainly because they really haven't shown a whole lot in regards to the show thus building anticipation. I also love Michael Pitt and Steve Buscemi, both men are very underrated actors who are very good at what they do. I also love gangster style films and shows, which this obviously is. The cast looks great and the few scenes and trailers I have seen have been very well put together. I am really hoping that this show will finally light a fire under HBO's ass and make them realize that their dramas tend to be their best productions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back