• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez?!

jmt225

Global Moderator
BJ Penn
“It’s gonna happen, hopefully within the next two, two-and-a-half months. I’m 30 now and I’m hoping to get a couple of more fights in. I know they say that in MMA, people peak later, but who knows? My whole career, fighting from age 20 to 30, I’ve gotten into real good shape and gotten out of shape and started getting back into shape again. I don’t want to do that anymore. Here I am. I’m in shape. I want to have fun for a couple of days, take some time off, eat some good food, and then I want to get right back into all that stuff…. [Diego is] really good; he’s really explosive. He’s shown that he has some knockout power and he’s a very good grappler. He’s very hungry; he’s shown that he wants to be a champion someday. This is an important fight…. I’d like to get a fight with St. Pierre again, but now that Diego Sanchez is next, once we get the word from Dana White, that’s what we’re gonna be thinkin’ about.”

What do you guys think? Is this something you'd like to see? Does Diego Sanchez deserve a title shot? If they do fight, who do you got? Let me hear your thoughts...

As far as my thoughts.... on one hand, I'm VERY happy to hear BJ so determined and ready to kick some ass! But on the other, while I absolutely love Diego Sanchez, I'm not so sure if I could justify him receiving a Title shot just yet. I mean, seriously... Sanchez has only fought two fights in the Lightweight Division thus far, and he didn't look all that impressive against Joe Stevenson. And while the Guida fight was incredible and Sanchez looked great, he still couldn't put Clay away. So, again... I'm not sure if he deserves the shot or not, but if he's offered it and accepts.... that won't keep me from getting excited for this. It would be one hell of a fight. On the feet, BJ would kill Diego I think, but on the ground it's anybody's game. It would be a real interesting match-up, that's for sure.

Yeah, I think Diego deserves a title shot. I really can't think of anyone else they could viably match up with BJ right now without some negative repercussions and/or serious questions about the validity of it (other than Aoki, but we all know that ain't ever going to happen).

That being said. I think BJ murders Diego. Especially if Diego comes out like he did with Guida swinging with wreckless abandon. BJ would just sit back and pick a spot and KHTFO.

The fight I really want to see is BJ/Nate Diaz. It's probably never going to happen though, because BJ has been training some with the Diaz brothers.

I in no way think Diego deserves this title shot. How does beating Joe daddy by decision, and beating Guida by SPLIT decision get you a title shot? That fight with Guida could have gone either way, hence the split decision. He hasn't finish any of his 2 fights at LW, and hasn't even looked dominating in his last fight. I would have had Diego face off against Edgar, and if he wins then face BJ.

As for the actual match, I see Diego getting dominated by BJ. Diego doesn't bring anything at 155 that BJ doesn't do better. Striking? BJ in the UFC has the best boxing at 155. Ground? BJ just submitted a BJJ black belt in his last match, a actual black belt. Stamina? Most would give Diego the advantage here, but BJ's cardio has looked fine at 155. In his fight with Kenny, Kenny held him against the cage and shoulder pressed him trying to tire BJ out. BJ might have looked gas by breathing hard, but he was fine since he submitted Kenny with quick ease once he got him down. So yeah, I see a BJ domination in this fight. BJ by round 2 TKO.

As great as this fight sounds, it's just too early for Diego to recieve a title shot. He definitely improved his boxing and stand up in a huge way, but only has two fights in the division. Two fights that were impressive, but not impressive enough. Give him more fights and wins then we'll see what he really has. He really needs to show that he can stop a fight with those hands or on the ground. But then again, Dana has shown that he doesn't care how quick a fighter gets a title shot. i.e Brock Lesnar.

When this fight happens though, I'm sure BJ can win the stand up game. As I think he's the superior in that category. But if it goes to the ground, then it's anyone's ball game.
Both are black belts in bjj and could cancel each other out. But knowing both of them, they will probably will go toe to toe as both are confident in their kickboxing abilities.
I'll have to give it to BJ though. Great strikes and bjj. And with his new strength and conditioning workouts, BJ is as dominate as ever.

He is serving a 4 win fight streak over Bielkheden (I never spell this guys name right) where he tapped him out with punches, outstriked Fioravanti dropped him countless times and dominated Stevenson.... also making Clay his bitch in round 1 bofore he couldn't close the deal and barely got away with the victory. Diego has shown his hands and feet have improved marginally, his foot work and hand speed have also improved. Diego is an agressive fighter at heart that has a very good ground game, he is technically a black belt, he joined Greg Jackson as a black belt but started again from sratch with him. He is currently on his brown belt with Greg. But Penn is Penn and what he can do is simply amazing, he is a great boxer, his hands are deadly crisp and his ground game is unmatched in the 155lbs weight limit.

All I know is this will be a great fight, all in all Diego reminds me of a younger BJ Penn with a similar skill set.

I think Diego will be next in line. I am not entirely in favor of this because I don't believe hes been in the division long enough to earn a shot yet but what can you do. As for who I want to win, I am not a fan of either fighters, but if I had to choose one I would go with Diego. Penn should put Diego away within 4 rounds but I would prefer to see Sanchez win. He has a more explosive style and I like that more. I think realilisticly though that Penn will tap Sanchez in the 3rd or 4th. I would not waist my money on this fight unless it was followed by say a better fight.

Okay, so BJ Penn has announced on his official website that this fight is indeed going down at UFC 107!

I'm very, very excited about this. As long as Diego shows up to fight like he did against Clay Guida (as opposed to how he fought against Joe Stevenson), then we should be in for one hell of a fight. But personally, I still don't think he'll stand a chance. He'll come in, hopefully start off with a flurry like the Clay Guida fight as I mentioned, and then I see BJ composing himself and picking Diego apart on the feet, or taking it to the ground and beating him there.

But yeah... can't wait for this one. Another rumor floating around that makes this ever more exciting is that UFC 107 will be the UFC's debut on network television. But like I said, that's just a rumor; however, I do have my hopes up about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back