• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bigger Fight in MMA.

Whistler 619

Dark Match Winner
The Question is simple, in less then one month we will get UFC 114 Rampage vs Evans. This is maybe one of the most anticipated, the most hyped matches in UFC ever. These two hate, hate each other with a passion, and it'll be electric to watch. And no doubt could be the Fight of the Year.

But my question is, would Silva vs GSP be bigger? I mean you'd have arguably the two best Pound for Pound fighters in the world going at it.

So, which fight would be Bigger in terms of hype, quality of match, which would get the more PPV buys and anything else comparable?

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs Rashad "Suga" Evans

or

Anderson "The Spider" Silva vs George "Rush" St. Pierre

Well the thing is Anderson Silva vs. GSP has all the potential in the world to be a snooze fest. Seriously, both guys are making a living currently on going the distance and not really giving it their all in the cage. I love GSP, he was a great title chaser but as soon as he won the belt he got a lot more boring. Look at it for yourself. His fights as a challenger were a lot more high octane and he finished a lot more often. However, since becoming champion his only fight not to go the distance was his fight with B.J. Penn because Penn's corner threw in the towel.

Anderson Silva is exactly the same. An exciting fighter who after becoming champion became much to safe. He finishes non-title fights but goes the distance in all the rest of his fights.

Personally, I have little interest in Anderson/GSP. I won't say I don't want to see the fight but it certainly is not on my dream fight list. It just doesn't scream out exciting like Rampage and Rashad does.

Rampage and Rashad have some genuine heat between them. They also both fight every fight to knock their opponent out. There fight has a ton of hype surrounding it and quiet frankly will be exciting to watch. While I don't see the fight ending early I do think we will see 15 minutes of two guys beating the holy hell out of each other. So to put it simply, I would much rather see Rampage/Evans and think that it has a lot more potential as a fight.

See, I think GSP has an excuse. The man's a monster on the ground, his wrestling is bar none one of the best things in the UFC. However, Silva is a stand up guy in my mind. He's got those nasty knees, and we've seen his hands. Possibly one of the best technical fighters in MMA today.

Anyway, I see the GSP vs. Silva fight being a snoozefest, only because I see GSP doing what he does best; taking it down and ground and pound. I think the one fight I'll say GSP didn't do anything was his Silva fight, but in honesty I would have done the same thing. He was so much bigger then him and such a good fighter that I wouldn't want to give him the opportunity, but against Hardy he tried twice (and I mean really tried) to put Hardy away.

Silva probably won't try and take it to the ground, because I see him fearing GSP's wrestling. Lord knows no one in their right mind would truly try to stand with Silva, but I think he'll be the issue. The one thing that I think has the potential to make this fight more exciting is in reference to your "Champion" statement; neither will have their belt on the line, so nothing physical to lose. The real problem lies in the fact neither will be willing to relinquish the title of "Best in the World" so neither is going to take many chances.

All and all, I see Silva making an ass out of himself and further alienating himself from the general fan with disrespect towards GSP during the fight.

I GUARANTEE Silva vs. GSP would do over a million buys, no matter what people think about Silva's antics. Evans vs. Rampage won't crack over 800,000, and even then I feel generous giving them THAT much, especially since so many people ordered Mayweather vs. Mosley yesterday.

So, obviously... Silva vs. GSP would be the bigger fight, by a lot.

And Brian, Silva vs. GSP would not be boring. It would be fucking awesome. Moreover, Evans vs. Rampage will most likely be a snoozefest or a 1st Round knockout itself. Either Evans is going to lay 'n pray for 3 rounds, or Rampage is going to avoid the takedown and knock Evans ass out in the first. Either way, while a knockout would be cool of course, the fight really won't be anything that special (the shit talking leading up to it will be better than the actual fight itself).

Rampage vs. Evans is fun because they legitimately don't like each other, but it's nothing for people to jizz in their pants over. GSP vs. Anderson Silva though.... that would be fucking HUGE. However, I don't think it'll ever happen, so we'll most likely never find just how right I am about this.

Hey Yo!
GSP and Anderson Silva have very different styles and strengths in their MMA prowess if you will. GSP has awesome friggen wrestling ability, takedowns, pretty good striking too etc Anderson also an awesome fighter but in different areas mainly stand up so that's why it'll be a little bit of a snoozefest compared to Evans vs Jackson because their styles are way too different.
On the other hand Rampage and Sugar have a legitimate beef with each other have similar fighting styles and love to knock their opponents the fuck out so it'll be a killer slugfest between Rampage and Rashad so to answer your question.
GSP vs Silva will be bigger because of the global appeal and also get more buys.
Rampage vs Rashad will be better quality because of their similar styles and attitude in the octagon but one thing both fights will have is unpredictability. undoubtedly.
.Tha Wolfpac.

Quinton Jackson vs Rashad Evans - This is a fight that has been brewing since UFC 96 and has legit heat and animosity around it. Could definitely be a fight of the year.

Chuck Liddell vs Rich Franklin - I still think Chuck is one of the best draws in MMA, he can still pull the sell out crowds with a card himself. Rich has something to prove in the LHW division, he would go up the ranks with a win over Chuck seeing Mauricio got a got after KO'ing him.

Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra - I know this match as been done and the results are in the books, but the first fight left alot to be desired i think a rematch might put an end to any debate over the outcome.

Shogun/Machida and Lesnar/Carwin are more interesting than both Rashad/Rampage and GSP/Silva, IMO. I'm really looking forward to Rashad/Rampage, don't get me wrong, but they are not the elite of the division. I'm not a huge fan of either GSP or Silva, I'd rather see Shogun take the LHW title and then shut Silva the fuck up.

Well the thing is Anderson Silva vs. GSP has all the potential in the world to be a snooze fest. Seriously, both guys are making a living currently on going the distance and not really giving it their all in the cage. I love GSP, he was a great title chaser but as soon as he won the belt he got a lot more boring. Look at it for yourself. His fights as a challenger were a lot more high octane and he finished a lot more often. However, since becoming champion his only fight not to go the distance was his fight with B.J. Penn because Penn's corner threw in the towel.

Anderson Silva is exactly the same. An exciting fighter who after becoming champion became much to safe. He finishes non-title fights but goes the distance in all the rest of his fights.

Personally, I have little interest in Anderson/GSP. I won't say I don't want to see the fight but it certainly is not on my dream fight list. It just doesn't scream out exciting like Rampage and Rashad does.

Rampage and Rashad have some genuine heat between them. They also both fight every fight to knock their opponent out. There fight has a ton of hype surrounding it and quiet frankly will be exciting to watch. While I don't see the fight ending early I do think we will see 15 minutes of two guys beating the holy hell out of each other. So to put it simply, I would much rather see Rampage/Evans and think that it has a lot more potential as a fight.

I have to disagree highly with your assessment. In terms of hype, GSP vs Anderson Silva is by far more appealing to the hardcore fans, and to the casual fans. Every one knows how dominant both champions are at this moment, so there is no question on which match up would be bigger.

In terms of actual match quality, once again I would say GSP vs Anderson Silva would be much more appealing, let me break it down: At this point, GSP is able to take down any opponent at will and beat on them round after round. Anderson at this point is able to do literally anything he wants with any opponent. Anderson has also shown to be able to handle strong wrestlers, evident in his fight with Dan Henderson, whom he out-wrestled and then choked out in round II. What ever happens in this match will be exciting, whether GSP can secure takedowns and nullify Anderson, who whether Anderson can toy with GSP; both of these situations would be absolutely unprecedented.

Looking at Rampage / Rashad, this match needs the bad blood in order for it to main-event. In my opinion, this is a weak main-event, and the weakest UFC since 109. Rashad is coming off of a devastating loss to Lyoto Machida where he did not eve look competitive, and Rampage is coming back from more than a year lay-off, and his last fight with Keith Jardine was very lackluster. To me, this match does not deserve to be a main event, and I think you will see this one go the distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back