• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Show, Kane and Mark Henry....

Radical

Championship Contender
I hear a lot of talk about people being very tired of seeing Big Show, Kane and Mark Henry on WWE so often. Not just that they are 'on' WWE but that they are often in matches and pretty big storylines STILL after all these years.

You know what I say to those people? I agree!

BUT I understand the business side of why they are still around. From Vince's perspective he knows they are good workers (when healthy) and they are remarkably still mostly healthy enough each year to compete. He sees them as having still a lot of value. Mostly value in putting others over. For kids who are only 8 or so and just started watching WWE about 3 years ago, they haven't seen Big Show, Kane or Mark Henry too much so to them they are big, interesting characters. I've heard kids that age talk a lot about those guys because clearly they still impress kids.

The problem is, as much as WWE is focused on kids there is still a large audience of teens, young adults and older adults. Those people HAVE probably seen too much of Big Show, Kane and Mark Henry and they probably are like most of us and are just tired of seeing them so much. Not because they aren't good workers or they don't respect their accomplishments but because they KNOW the outcome and know there isn't much NEW that can happen.

To my point. Big Show is 42, Mark Henry is 43 and Kane is 47. To still be able to wrestle at that age is amazing. I totally respect that and I imagine most of you do too. But I think WWE would have been much better off if they did something for these guys about 5 years ago ...

Sign them to a LEGENDS contract. Or whatever the type of contract RVD and Jericho have.

That would have been so much better. We all would have tired of these guys a lot less! Like the guys I mentioned above, RVD and Jericho have been more 'out' of WWE than 'in' over the last 5 years but when they came back it was cool, it was refreshing and interesting for most of us because we weren't worn out from seeing them every week.

If they signed these guys to Legends contracts like this like 5 years ago it would have been better. Mark Henry still could have had his impressive, but short, run as World Heavyweight Champion because they only needed him for maybe 6 months (even if he was healthy).

Big Show could have come back at that time for a couple months and still done a good feud with Mark Henry ending after that ring collapse!

Kane could have really made a good comeback as demon, mask-wearing Kane multiple times to better effect that he has while he was a regular. I think his feud with Cena a while back would have been more interesting if Kane had been gone for a year or so and surprisingly came back to target Cena. Kane vs Wyatt could have been better too if they came back after being away a while to face Wyatt or if Kane came back a few weeks earlier and Wyatt targeted him.

So my question is do you think that if Big Show, Mark Henry and Kane were on Legend/Part-Time Contracts like 5 years ago it would have been better of for WWE fans and WWE business?

In my own fantasy booking world, I do have all 3 of them as Part-Timers basically, and that is what they should be. I don't really like them being active at the same time, as they could just rotate and come at different times of the year alongwith the likes of Y2J and RVD.

I do feel that Mark Henry would be useful as a Monster Heel even today, and even more than the Big Show, as his Hall of Pain character would do well against the growing number of Babyfaces available.
Big Show seems better as a Babyface character and should never have turned at Survivor Series,lMO.

Henry and Kane - no. They got better as they got older. Henry had a great 2011 and delivered one of the best promos of his career last year in the fake retirement angle against Cena. Show, yes. He peaked. He's literally larger than life and facing him could have been a big deal

I disagree. I think they have become stale simply because of their booking.

All three have flip-flopped between heel and face the past 2 years working as "fillers" due to the poor state of the roster and without any genuine reasoning behind the changes.

I think there is a huge need for these guys to remain on the roster, but they need to revitalise the characters and put them in some meaningful storylines.

Why not put the real Kane (Not corporate Kane) in a storyline with Bray Wyatt or Undertaker? Could be as an ally or an enemy, either way there would be tens of different and interesting storylines that could be used.

How about Big Show back into a tag team? He seems to work best when he gets to step back and only take 50% of the load. Put him with a good talker, it seemed to work with both Jericho and the Miz in the past. Would give the tag team roster a big boost in numbers also.

For me, Mark Henry has only ever had one character (Heel or Face) and that is as a destructive force. Unfortunately we currently have both Rusev and Ryback filling this role, so I can't see the need for him to return to this character, unless it is as a valet. Put him as someone's security, similar to Big Es role for Ziggler. A few names which would benefit...
Cesaro (Needs to start something new and meaningful, after his face push was destroyed)
Bo Dallas (Plenty of potential with his character, but hasn't been given the time in the ring yet)
Adam Rose (Once he drops his current terrible gimmick - Hopefully soon by the looks of things)
Zack Ryder (Return as a spiteful heel? Otherwise just release this poor bloke)
Seth Rollins (Get rid of the J&J, why waste roster spots on old wrestlers?)

I disagree about the Big Show, as I think he's one of the best talker and he can put on a pretty good match when he has the right opponent. He seems to be more consistent than Roman Reigns, if anything.

Mark Henry and Kane though...I dunno. Henry makes a great heel, but I feel his lack of mobility has become too apparent. There isn't really any opportunity to show his strength. He can pick up Big Show? Cool, so can Cena and Cena is significantly more agile and versatile. Kane moves really well for his size, but I think he should've retired as an in-ring fighter after putting up the mask. He doesn't look especially impressive physically anymore and the lack of bodysuit draws attention to this. Even worse, he puts so many people over that I feel a victory over Kane means nothing, but a loss against Kane can hurt your career.

But the problem right now is WWE isn't doing a good job at creating new stars. Someone will get a push, only for it to be derailed and all that momentum dies. Bray was much more over earlier last year than he is now, Swagger was really hot for a while but now no one cares. Cesaro is perhaps the prime example. Vince doesn't blame the booking as much as he blames the performer, so he screws up their pushes and relies on old, reliable faces.

I agree with Big Show being good on the mic, Henry is awful and Kane has his moments, but usually does great spots when he does very little talking, menacing glare and all that.

But with Show I would team him as he gasses very quickly and as a hot tag can wreck the ring pretty effectively(but no more dog pile throw off, that just sucks and always has). I would lose the KO punch which is weaksauce and go back to a chokeslam, not sure who I'd team him with though, is Harper's push about to run out of steam? Maybe him, very talented in ring, will do most of the work and kinda poor on the mic.

Henry defo stable background material.

Kane is still great, I love him. Creative need a kick up the butt and get writing him back into a proper storyline, Big Red Monster returns to show Roman how to proper do a no-sell monster. How is he so over? I don't get it, so overrated. Rambling now, hitting submit.

Does anyone know why Show started favoring the KO Punch over the chokeslam? The KO Punch can be impressive as it looks like he is hitting them, but I always preferred the chokeslam.

Does anyone know why Show started favoring the KO Punch over the chokeslam? The KO Punch can be impressive as it looks like he is hitting them, but I always preferred the chokeslam.

Once in a while he'll still pin a jobber with the chokeslam, but the KO punch is so quick that foresight is your only defense. A chokeslam can be countered, a KO punch can't.

The only thing that bothers me about the KO punch is that Big Show doesn't go for it more often, but that's why it's scripted folks.

I prefer the chokeslam also, I've always hated the KO Punch, it just looks weak and half the time he misses by a mile. But Big Show doesn't use the chokeslam much anymore because he's getting up there in age and that move is hard on the knees when you weigh 400+ lbs.

I prefer the chokeslam also, I've always hated the KO Punch, it just looks weak and half the time he misses by a mile. But Big Show doesn't use the chokeslam much anymore because he's getting up there in age and that move is hard on the knees when you weigh 400+ lbs.

This is what I was saying, this guy is a monster and if he sold a punch with a fist the size of other guys' heads, it would be amazing, but he hits it with a limp wrist, barely lands it and completely pulls it.

If you guys are like me, you watch MMA and boxing as well and know what a punch looks like, this comes off as campy.

OT:I ranted about Roman not selling at the end of my last post while I was watching Raw, only to then see him in a match and watch him selling like a boss all match for Seth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back