• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"Big Name" Wrestlers Making Indy Appearances STILL A Big Thing?

JuiceOS

Dark Match Winner
I remember in the 90's it was such a big thing when a recently released wrestler from the big 2 made an appearance in a indy fed.

To some extent in the early to mid 2000's it was a big thing like when Matt Hardy made a ROH appearance when he was first released or when Ric Flair made a ROH appearance. New Jack in CZW at COD...Rob Van Dam in PWG...

Does anyone think in 2011 "Big Names" making indy appearances is still a big thing? I mean not that many indies are really out their anymore that could afford "Big Name" appearances...Prolly just ROH, PWG, JAPW.....

Would people be excited if say Sting or Kurt Angle made appearances in ROH?

Ya know that's a good question. Most indy feds today are pretty small time and don't draw big crowds which as you said, means they can't afford talent from the big two. ROH is just barely an indy fed, and AJPW is the equivalent of WWE in Japan so I wouldn't count it as an "indy" fed, at least not in the context of what the general indy fed is today. I don't think that it's as big a deal today as it was in yesteryear. Nowadays it's just pathetic most of the time. It's like "oh look, this guy can't get a job anywhere else, he's not good enough to be anywhere else, look where he is now". If you are talking about strictly the bigger ones, than sure it's kind of a big deal, but not on any smaller scale.

I think it is still a big thing, but there just isnt that many indie companies out there who could afford any of the MAJOR stars if they came available, even for just a one off show

With the wrestling business not as strong as it was in the early 2000s or late 1990s, that is just the way it is.

But to answer your question, Kurt Angle showing up in ROH would be A HUGE SHOCK and the fans would love it, and really appreciate Kurts style.

IF I as Angle I would leave TNA go back to WWE or even hook up with ROH.....wouldnt get paid alot but would help ROH immensely and even mold and shape alot of future talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back