Big John Studd: Worthy or Not?

Does Big John Studd belong IN the Hall of Fame?

• Yes. He was amazing.

• No. He didn't do anything.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
big-john-studd.jpg

John William Minton (February 19, 1948 – March 20, 1995) was an American professional wrestler and actor, better known by his ring name, Big John Studd. He was born and raised in Butler, Pennsylvania. He also won the 1989 Royal Rumble Match.

Big John Studd was trained by wrestling legend Killer Kowalski. Together, Studd and Kowalski would win the World Tag Team Championship (WWE)|WWWF Tag Team titles]] in 1976 as the masked Executioners.

After leaving the WWWF, Studd would become known as Chuck O'Connor, Captain USA, and The Masked Superstar II at certain points in the Mid-Atlantic. In 1978, Studd teamed with Ken Patera to win the Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Titles.

Studd would also make the occasional trips to Canada to wrestle in Emile Duprée's Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling.

On May 25, 1980, Masked Superstar II was unmasked after a match with Blackjack Mulligan in Toronto. After this, Studd was brought into Florida by J.J. Dillon and feuded with Dusty Rhodes, Barry Windham, (the son of Blackjack Mulligan), and Sweet Brown Sugar.

Studd, who was a heel at this point, had a gimmick of bringing a stretcher to the ring as he would beat his opponents so badly that they'd be taken out on the stretcher.

Early on in 1982, Studd gained several unsuccessful title shots at the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, which was held by "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair at the time. Studd jumped to the World Wrestling Federation and became a top challenger for the WWF World Championship, which was held by Hulk Hogan. Studd (now managed by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) also became involved in a legendary feud with André the Giant. Studd taunted Andre by proclaiming himself the true giant of professional wrestling and offering $15,000 to anyone who could bodyslam him. This led to a televised tag team match featuring Studd and fellow Heenan Family member Ken Patera against Andre The Giant and S.D. Jones. The match ended by disqualification after persistent rulebreaking by Studd and Patera, who attacked Andre afterwards and cut his hair. The Andre/Studd feud would reach its high point at the first WrestleMania, when Studd and André had a $15,000 bodyslam challenge match, which André won. The match itself was not a technical masterpiece, but the highlight of Andre bodyslamming Studd to win the match is one of the most iconic images in wrestling history.

After WrestleMania, Studd would form an alliance with the 468 lb King Kong Bundy. The two attacked Andre at a WWF house show in the summer of 1985. Studd/Bundy and Andre would continue to feud for the rest of that year and into 1986. Studd participated in the well-publicized 20 man over-the-top battle royal that took place at WrestleMania 2. The battle royale also featured stars from the National Football league. Although Andre The Giant was also in the battle royale, Studd set his focus on eliminating William "The Refrigerator" Perry, who was fresh from a Super Bowl victory that year. Studd successfully eliminated Perry during the match, only to have Perry to eliminate Studd while the two were shaking hands. Andre would go on to win the battle royale.

After the André feud died down, the team of Studd & Bundy would feud with other established WWF tag teams including The Islanders and the WWF Tag Team Champions, The British Bulldogs. Studd & Bundy faced the Bulldogs for the Tag Team Titles on WWF Championship Wrestling, but they were unsuccessful in winning the match. Studd & Bundy would then begin arguing in the ring after the match, which seemed to indicate that a feud between the two was forthcoming. However, that would not be the case, and Studd & Bundy continued teaming up regularly for several more months. Studd's last match came on an episode of WWF Superstars (airing 11-15-86), where he teamed with Bundy to defeat The Machines.

After retiring for almost 3 years, Studd announced his return to the WWF on the Brother Love Show in late 1988. An elated Bobby Heenan appeared on the set to welcome Studd back to the Heenan family. Studd however rejected the offer and ran Heenan off the Brother Love set (thus turning face). Studd would go onto feud with several members of the Heenan family, including his arch-nemesis Andre The Giant who had turned heel during Studd's absence. Studd would go on to win the 1989 Royal Rumble, which many consider to be the crowning achievement in his WWF career. Studd then served as a special guest referee in the match between Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Andre The Giant at WrestleMania V. Studd left the WWF later that year and worked the independent circuit. He took time off later that year, but unfortunately Studd was forced to fully retire the next year due to sickness brought on by taking growth hormones.

Studd died from liver cancer and Hodgkin's disease on March 20, 1995. He is survived by his son John Minton, Jr., who accepted his plaque upon his posthumous induction to the WWE Hall of Fame in 2004. Minton, Jr. also participated in the fourth season of WWE Tough Enough. His list of accomplishments and Championships (according to Wiki) are as follows:

Championship Wrestling from Florida
NWA Florida Global Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Jimmy Garvin

European Wrestling Union
EWU World Super Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Georgia Championship Wrestling
NWA National Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Super Destroyer

Maple Leaf Wrestling
NWA Canadian Heavyweight Championship (Toronto version) (1 time)

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling
NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Championship (4 times) - with Ric Flair (1), Ken Patera (1), Masked Superstar #1 (1), and Roddy Piper (1)

NWA Big Time Wrestling
NWA American Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
NWA Texas Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Bull Ramos

NWA Mid-Pacific Promotions
NWA North American Heavyweight Championship (Hawaii version) (1 time)
NWA Hawaii Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Buddy Rose

NWA Southern Championship Wrestling
NWA Tennessee Southern Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Tag Team of the Year (1976) - with Killer Kowalski

World Championship Wrestling
WCW Hall of Fame (Class of 1995)
World Wrestling Association
WWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Ox Baker

World Wide Wrestling Federation | World Wrestling Entertainment
WWE Hall of Fame (Class of 2004)
WWWF World Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Killer Kowalski
Royal Rumble winner (1989)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Most Overrated (1984)

Big John Studd: Much like Jimmy Snuka, I don't question his acceptance into the Wrestling Hall of Fame, as a whole, but I do in the W.W.F. He won a Tag Team Championship in the W.W.W.F., and he won the second annual Royal Rumble. Outside of that, he didn't have any other accomplishments.

Now, I will defend Studd to the degree in saying that Hulk Hogan was just a bigger name than he was at the time, and Hogan was the prime pick to be the face of the company leading into the big-boom of Pro Wrestling. If Studd were around in today's era, he'd likely have had several World title shots, and even reigns. So I don't question him being a Main Eventer, like I did with Snuka.

Going back to why I do question him being in the Hall of Fame though, is because that era wasn't this era. The fact is, he still didn't win any Championships outside of a Rumble victory, which was impressive, but was it enough to gain him access to the Hall of Fame? I'm honestly on the fence on this one, but leaning toward no. What are your thoughts and opinions of Big John Studd being in the Hall of Fame? Worthy or Not?

I have to say no. I consider myself an historian but I forgot his Rumble win. The first two images I get of Studd are him being bodyslammed by Andre and pulling the Fridge out at WM 2. He had some feuds with Hogan that went nowhere, but other than that he was just a big guy as far as I can remember. He was good in the ring and his size was second only to Andre, but I think he falls into the Snuka category as well: a guy that is rememberd fondly but never really did anything that's remembered. I'll say no, but again wish I could say yes.

I'm going to say no.

He was great to watch, and seeing Andre slam him was pretty cool. As was the battle royal with the Fridge. However, fun doesn't make a career, and it doesn't make someone credible enough to be in the Hall Of Fame. He'll always be remembered as the #2 big man, but that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back