Big 4 PPV?

George Steele's Barber

Advertise Here $9.95/month
I don't how many times I've read something to the affect of "Survivor Series is supposed to be a Big 4 PPV" over the past two months.

I don't take in nearly as much WWE content as a lot of people here and I don't want to do my own research, so I'll put out some questions:

Who coined this "Big 4" distinction? How has it carried on this long? Has WWE/Vince ever used it? Do you think WWE/Vince still thinks this way? Is it possible that fans are holding on to something that no longer exists?

No, I'm sure it's not seen that way anymore within the WWE given there was talk of cancelling it awhile back, but I'd say it's considered a Big 4 PPV based upon:

1) It being one of the original regular PPVs that the WWE put on.

2) It's still been used for major matches and high profile returns such as the team-up of Rock and Cena, Cena Vs. Triple H Vs. Michaels, Cena returning to action to beat Jericho for the World Heavyweight Title.

3) It's place in the past for big matches: The culmination of the Invasion angle, The Montreal Screwjob, the World Title Tournament, etc.

I think there's a bit of nostalgia wrapped up in this for both fans AND the WWE management. I think management wants it to be bigger than it is. They still try to throw big events at the PPV, with only fair to middling success.

No, I'm sure it's not seen that way anymore within the WWE given there was talk of cancelling it awhile back, but I'd say it's considered a Big 4 PPV based upon:

1) It being one of the original regular PPVs that the WWE put on.

2) It's still been used for major matches and high profile returns such as the team-up of Rock and Cena, Cena Vs. Triple H Vs. Michaels, Cena returning to action to beat Jericho for the World Heavyweight Title.

3) It's place in the past for big matches: The culmination of the Invasion angle, The Montreal Screwjob, the World Title Tournament, etc.

I think there's a bit of nostalgia wrapped up in this for both fans AND the WWE management. I think management wants it to be bigger than it is. They still try to throw big events at the PPV, with only fair to middling success.

And the Survivor Series match itself. What you said was correct, but if you think about it, what is actually a "must see" match in this year's event, or even last years?

As far as Vince moving on from the "Big 4" statement is concerned, I don't think he has. Mania, the Rumble and SummerSlam still have a lot of emphasis placed on them, so I would call it the "Big 3". However, ever since 2011 MITB has been pretty big.

And the Survivor Series match itself. What you said was correct, but if you think about it, what is actually a "must see" match in this year's event, or even last years?

As far as Vince moving on from the "Big 4" statement is concerned, I don't think he has. Mania, the Rumble and SummerSlam still have a lot of emphasis placed on them, so I would call it the "Big 3". However, ever since 2011 MITB has been pretty big.

Yeah, it's lost it's luster over the years, IMO, because they didn't protect the original concept of the event. I still think they try to boost it from time to time, what with the Rock/Cena tag team match. This year, they're back to it being kind of a throwaway PPV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back