• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Better name for a Wrestler

Better name

• Desmond Wolfe

• Nigel McGuinness

Results are only viewable after voting.

shattered dreams

Hexagonal Hedonist
Nigel McGuinness or Desmond Wolfe?

I ask because of the promo Danielson did on the indys with his Lloyd boner reference. It seemed that he took issue with the TNA name changes (not that WWE does this or anything Mr. Bryan) and especially in this specific case I think the TNA name is much better. In general it is just business and simply necessary. It would be nice if these indy guys could keep their names that they have built up some internationally but it is hardly that big of a deal. In Wolfe's case the name was not even his real one anyway. I am not sure ROH's rules but he might not have been able to keep it anyway. So, how do you feel about name changes for indy standouts when they go mainstream, do you think TNA is any worse than WWE in this regard and how do you feel about Wolfe vs McGuinness specifically.

I wouldn't say there's anybody worse than the other. It's really all about what you choose, TNA has some great name choices like A.J Styles, Jay Lethal, D'Angelo Dinero etc. As well as WWE has some great names like Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Wade Barrett etc. So to say one of them are worse than the other would really be canceling yourself out, because both of them have great choices just as well.

Also it really comes down to people's opinion when judging what is better than the other, and what is worse. If the name fits, or if it doesn't. It's all about opinions, rather than the obvious. I'm sure some could love Desmond Wolfe, and some hate it, while they hate / love Nigel McGuinness

Also, I don't really care about how they do the name changes, as long as it's not obvious their realistic name or something related to their heritage (Joe Hennig) would really have been the better choice. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

I would say that a name that TNA or WWE change are for the better or worse. However what makes the name a success or fail is how the name relates to his gimmick and personailty. One example of this IN MY OPINION is MVP. To me MVP sounds like the name of heel who feels like he is simply better than everyone, however WWE is using him as a face and to me the name does not help convey that MVP is a face. I know there are others that was just the first one that popped into my head.

I much prefer Nigel McGuinness. It just sounds so... Englishy. I hear that name and I know that's a man I can have a pint of warm lager with. Desmond Wolfe has potential but TNA refuses to capitalize on the Wolfe aspect of it. Instead of a loner, he's always with someone else like he's constantly begging for acceptance. Or maybe they have been using it all along just with the "pack of wolves" dynamic. Who knows. I still prefer McGuinness. Also Sheamus needs to go back to Seamus O'Shaunnessy.

In Wolfe's case, Desmond Wolfe simply sounds much more sinister and callous than Nigel McGuinness, which with the obvious reference to the beer, sounds much more like a beer-drinking fun-loving Brit than it does an a prototypical classical heel.

I'm not overly concerned with guys being able to keep their names, to be honest, as unless they're a generational star who obviously don't need a name change (cough*Michael McGuillicutty*cough), the difference between the names and how they're perceived is mostly subjective. The only folks who tend to get upset are those who watch the indy guys perform, who in this case are the major minority, so the backlash is rarely heard for a reason – it's inconsequential to the future of the character in question.

One of the problems is that often the promotion owns a wrestler's name (I'm looking at you WWE) and a change is necessary to prevent infringment on a trademark. In the case of WWE, if you don't have a name like Ric Flair the chances are your name is going to be change for better or worse. Its really unfair to wrestlers to give them a name then take it away from them when they leave the promotion. You can call a guy Sid Justice all day, but in my mind he will always be Sid Vicious.

I like Desmond Wolfe way better than Nigel McGinnuess, is just sounds more sinister to me, which is a big part of his gimmick. As a side note, I wish they would give Wolfe a bigger push, I think the guy has talent.

Ric-Flair.jpg

I hated the name Desmond Wolfe at first, but now is been starting to grow on me. I preferred the name Nigel McGuinness before Wolfe arrived in TNA. I think the name Desmond Wolfe rolls off the tongue smoother then Nigel McGuinness.

As a wrestling name, I have to go with Desmond Wolfe. I personally have never known anybody nor really even heard of anyone named Desmond. It's a unique first name, or at least it's certainly not a very common one here in the states. The overall name has a more sinister ring to it, a more predatory feel.

Nigel McGuinness, just going by initial impressions based on how the name sounds alone, sounds like some pasty little bookworm that spends most of his time sitting in some cramped little office surrounded by paperwork.

Desmond Wolfe. Sure it's a punny name, but it's better for one reason. It can be trademarked. To get into a big company 9 times out of 10 they will trademark your name. You want t obe Nigel McGinness for the rest of your career? Have fun in the minor leagues.

Originally I preferred McGuinness, but as time has passed I now much prefer Desmond Wolfe. Thinking about it I just cannot take a wrestler named Nigel seriously.

Could you imagine a world champion in TNA or WWE called Nigel?????????!!!!! Possibly the least threatening name in the whole world.....other than Keith or Cyril

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back