Better Gimmick: Undertaker or Sting

Who had the better gimmick?

• Undertaker

• Sting

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disturbed

Championship Contender
Both men have a similar gimmick and have both given there all to the world of professional wrestling, however they have never competed one on one. So, who do you think has the better overall gimmick?

the_undertaker.jpg

The Undertaker made his WWE debut on November 22, 1990 at the Survivor Series pay per view. He has accomplished so much in his 20 year career. Here is a list of all his accomplishments and attributes to the WWE.

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Feud of the Year (1991)[117] vs. The Ultimate Warrior
PWI Match of the Year (1998)[118] vs. Mankind in a Hell in a Cell match at King of the Ring
PWI Match of the Year (2009)[119]vs. Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XXV
PWI Match of the Year (2010) vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXVI
PWI ranked him #2 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2002[120]
PWI ranked him #21 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003[121]
World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
WCW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Kane1[122]
World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)[123]
WWF/E Championship (4 times)2[124]
WWF Hardcore Championship (1 time)[125]
WWF Tag Team Championship (7 times) – with Steve Austin (1), The Big Show (3), The Rock (1) and Kane (1)[126]
Royal Rumble (2007)
Slammy Award for WWF's Greatest Hit (1996) Sucking Diesel into the abyss
Slammy Award for Best Tattoo (1997)
Slammy Award for Best Entrance Music (1997)
Slammy Award for Star of the Highest Magnitude (1997)
Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2009) vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXV
Slammy Award for Moment of the Year (2010) vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXVI
Undefeated at Wrestlemania (18-0)
The WWE ranked him at # 2 in their list of "Top 50 Superstars of all Time", behind Shawn Michaels who was ranked # 1.[127] However, the list has been disputed and criticized by several WWE Hall of Famers including Jim Ross and Stone Cold Steve Austin on their Twitter accounts.[128

sting+icon.jpg

Sting was founded alongside his tag partner at the time which was Ultimate Warrior. They were founded by a Memphis promoter, Jerry Jarrett. Sting has competed in many organazations but never once signed with WWE. Here is a list of Sting's accomplishments and attribute to professional wrestling.

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Comeback of the Year (2006)[59]
PWI Match of the Year(1991)[60] with Lex Luger vs. the Steiner Brothers at SuperBrawl
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1988)[61]
PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year (1990)[62]
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1991, 1992, 1994, 1997)[9]
PWI Wrestler of the Year (1990)[63]
PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1992[64]
PWI ranked him #15 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003[65]
PWI ranked him #52 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Lex Luger in 2003
NWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)1[50]
NWA World Television Championship (1 time)[51]
WCW International World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)[52]
WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (2 times)[53]
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (6 times)[54]
WCW World Tag Team Championship (3 times)[55] – with Lex Luger (1), The Giant (1), and Kevin Nash (1)2
Battlebowl Battle Royal (1991)[56]
Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
NWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)3[50]
TNA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)[67]
TNA World Tag Team Championship (1 time)[68] – with Kurt Angle
TNA Match of the Year (2009) vs. A.J. Styles at Bound for Glory, October 18, 2009

Both men have had a storied career. So, which competitor had the better gimmick, Sting or The Undertaker.

Most definitely The Undertaker. I never liked Sting's gimmick after his surfer gimmick. Also, a lot of people will get pissed at me, I thought Sting's second gimmick made him a worse wrestler. His persona was boring, and it never made much sense to me. But I'll tell you why his Surfer gimmick was awesome. The man was charismatic in the ring and the mic, he wasn't great with the gimmick, but still very good. He was a fun wrestler and everybody loved him. His match during WarGames was epic. His feud with Ric Flair was awesome, also pretty emotional. His days as the Surfer dude was so entertaining, but when he became serious, he was hella boring. His matches were more serious, which it should be, but it was boring in the same time. I'll compare this whole career to Randy Orton. Randy Orton legend killer was awesome, he was cocky, he was faster in the ring, he used a lot of great moves. Now as the Viper, he's boring as hell, in both the ring and the mic.

Undertaker had a great gimmick. It was silly, but man, did he pull it off or what. Dave Meltzer, the man who loves the japanese matches, knew how great this gimmick was. Dave hates silliness, but he knew how well this gimmick worked with the wrestling world. Sure, Undertaker wasn't that great on the mic, but he still played he character well. After he became American Badass, I did not like him as much. After he came back with the deadman gimmick, I liked him more, but I wasn't buying into it. He sure as hell was still a good wrestler, making some of the best feuds and best matches of his life. Such as with Edge, HBK and Batista. And thats why I like Undertaker's gimmick more.

THEEEEEEE UNDERRRRRTAKERRRRR!!!! I have said it before and I will say it again. The Undertaker gimmick is the best the wrestling world has seen. This isn't coming from just a fan's point of view, but I am sure other guys in and out of WWE agree with that statement.

THEEEEEEE UNDERRRRRTAKERRRRR!!!! I have said it before and I will say it again. The Undertaker gimmick is the best the wrestling world has seen. This isn't coming from just a fan's point of view, but I am sure other guys in and out of WWE agree with that statement.

Yes I agree, Undertaker did have the best gimmick ever, and I'm not a huge Undertaker fan, but it's pretty much true. Because how can someone turn such a stupid character into one of the most compelling gimmicks that the wrestling world has ever seen.

Undertaker's gimmick is applicable to all opponents and all situations and there is a massive variety of things you can do with it. Sting gimmick was mainly formulated to combat the NWO and although it was amazing at doing that, when his feud with them ended so did anything which you could really consider gimmick like about Sting. I mean after that when he was in Wolfpac and doing various other things for the next few years, what was gimmick like about him apart from the facepaint? He was just a guy with a baseball bat, leather jacket and paint that went round doing what the ordinary guys like buff bagwell and vincent were doing. The real sting was a loner who had been betrayed and fought by himself, the only other time he has been this type of sting is towards the beginning of 2010 when the entire thing with Hogan was first being cultivated.

Undertaker has, however, had the same gimmick for about 16 years now in WWE and it still isn't defunkt as proven by audience reaction. And the reason for that is because his character is very general. He doesn't have a feud with anyone in particular, he is immortal, can command lightning, fire and darkness amongst other things. All these are non-specific things meaning he can be locked in a feud with joe-blow and not have to tweak his character in the slightest. Hence why Taker's gimmick is better.

For me, when Sting was feuding with NWO in 1996/97 for that specific time his gimmick was better, but as it couldn't be reciprocated to other guys aside from Hogan it was not as effective. Undertaker wins for the eternality of his character, it could last forever and never feel outdated.

To this day I still don't understand why people think Taker and Sting have similar gimmicks. They don't! only similarity is a black trench coat. For the first half of Taker's career he was a pissed off guy named Mark. The first half of Stings Career he was a Bladerunner and a super-amped Surfer. 2nd half of Taker's career he was an undertaker, undead zombie with mystical powers, cult leader and a biker. 2nd half of Stings career he was a guy who got pissed that his friend didn't believe he was framed so he sulked away and came back in the rafters with dif face paint and a bat.Not the same or even close.

All that being said both individuals took cartoonish gimmicks on paper and turned them into iconic figures in wrestling history. But I'd have to give the edge to Taker in this debate. Sting's crow gimmick while iconic was a straight ripoff of The Crow movie. Taker's gimmick was original upon its debut and has spawn other characters from it and an undying(pun intended) legion of fans.

Ok are all you idiots.... Taker has not had the same gimmick for 16 years... does everyone forget the American Badass few years in there... those were horendous... i think over all they match up equally here as well... Stings use of both gimmicks keeps him right there with Taker.... his down years as the "crow" are matched by Takers "American Bad Ass" gimmick... Stings character demands as much respect as Takers does... there is one big pitfall to Stings tho, it does not and has been proven, to work as a heel gimmick, but Taker's has had pitfalls too over the years... strong points for both are Takers abilities to come back from the dead...i.e. hand up out of the dirt after being burried alive, and stings was his ability to carry a company for over a year with out saying a word!

In my opinion they are both equally successful and niether can be deemed better than the other, cause as ive said they've both had great moments, and lackluster moments. And to any of u smarks who say the American Bad Ass was great... even Taker said he hated that gimmick and it was old and played out... in fact ive seen that qoute on here a bunch of times as well... and not to mention some of the people who vote for taker have never actually seen Stings gimmicks and characters beside those in tna, which is nowhere near as great as he was in the 80's and 90's. So to me... its a dead even tie!

Wow really? Sting was the best thing from WCW but even ppl who don't watch wrestling know who taker is. Taker has been relevant for 20 years and is respected by everyone in the business. He is the main draw at Wrestlemania which is the biggest thing is wrestling every year.

/ thread

No Question about it, The Undertaker! Sting could of had a better Legacy, but he decided not to Join WWE! Sting is selfish, and does not care about his fans! Yes, his fans that made him, and made him alot of money! Come on Sting, do it for your REAL fans, join WWE and fulfill your destiny! Imagine Having Sting fight Undertaker at Wresltemania 28. That would be awesome, could sting be the man that ends the Takers Streak! Dont get me wrong, Sting had his spots, but all and all Undertaker has a better gimmick!

Over the course of both of their long and illustrious careers, Sting has undergone a pretty significant transition, so in retrospect, I think you'd have to be a little more specific as to which version of Sting we're talking about. But since we're comparing him to the Undertaker, I can only assume we're talking about the later version.

First we had the bleach-blonde, rat tail sting that seemed like more of a combination of Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior from the 80s. That slowly progressed, mainly because of the nWo, into what we eventually started to call the "crow" sting. So roughly, half of his career was as one version of Sting and the other half as the other. Whereas The Undertaker has more or less been the same pretty much throughout his entire career [with a few tweaks here and there for "the-times-they-are-a-changing-purposes.] Of course, obviously, we had that two or three year stretch where he was the more true-to-life, American Badass, Undertaker.

For my money, and it's a tough choice, but I have to go with the Undertaker. Nothing against Sting by any stretch, he was one of a very few wrestlers that came out of "Atlanta" that I really, consistently enjoyed. Both guys have what I call the "Andre the Giant factor." Meaning simply, we're talking about two performers who don't need to be the face of the company or the world champion. They're household names because of simply who they are, not what titles they've held. There's no question that these two are two of the most legendary wrestlers of all time. So with that in mind, I think this question can be answered by putting their in-ring work ethic completely aside.

At first glance there's something to be said about the Undertaker's entrance, he comes out to a relatively unchanged and timeless classic in the wrestling industry. The last time I saw a wrestling event in person was last year in Atlanta at the Royal Rumble. I can honestly say that at 24 years old, I still got chills when the gong hit, the lights went out and the smoke begun to stir in the arena as "the Dead Man" ascended the aisle, climbed the steps and brought the lights up with telekinetic powers. I still get excited when he sits up unexpectedly or when he mysteriously walks the top rope. In an age in wrestling when the art of the gimmick is all but lost, The Undertaker is a testament to what the wrestling industry was when I was a kid. We're talking about a gimmick that has far and above withstood the test of time when 99% have either failed or completely evolved over time. I just don't think I could say the same for Sting.

Truthfully, I couldn't choose. I liked both at different times for different reasons.

Sting was a better overall wrestler in his prime and managed to stay relevant in a slightly more believable way. However, in terms of the gimmick itself, The Undertaker's was a bit more appealing.

As similar as they are, I think that both were different in so many ways. Sting was always better in the title picture. The Undertaker did better in personal feuds.

If I had to choose, I'd go with The Undertaker, simply for the fact that he's more relevant now. Otherwise, I don't know how I'd choose. I loved both.

The Undertaker.

Stings' gimmick made me think of the crow and it still does. The Undertaker use to scare the crap out of me when I was a child. The Undertaker can play "The Deadman" or "The American Badass" so well. I'm a huge fan of both but Undertakers such a good performer and can really get me into the current fued he is in. Stings' matches are all the same to me. Both are really great in the ring for their age too I might add

Ok are all you idiots.... Taker has not had the same gimmick for 16 years... does everyone forget the American Badass few years in there

Taker has been in the WWE for 20 years. Subtract the American Badass/Big Evil years( 2000-2003) and you have 16 years as roughly the same gimmick. I don't think he meant he was the deadman for 16 consecutive years.

As for for the poll at hand, I voted Undertaker. Simply because his gimmick hasn't grown stale to the point where the audience doesn't care about his promos or matches. I don't have much of an opinion on Sting because I wasn't into wrestling until The Invasion angle. So my opinion is most definitely biased.

I have always been a huge fan of both. Both are completely different. I dont really see how they can be similar. i would say Undertaker though. he has a much more darker, more sinister gimmick(well more so several years ago than now) Sting i always liked his gimmick. it was dark and mysterious, but didnt really come off like as evil like taker.

This is an interesting thread, but I'm gonna have to go with Undertaker.

Throughout his whole WWE career, Undertaker always kept a darker and a more "badass" character than Sting. Sting started out as the pretty boy, tanned, and clean-cut "Surfer Sting". While he was doing that, Undertaker was tombstoning people and putting them in caskets. You tell me what's better?! "Woooing" or "Rest In Peace"?

I like Sting's darker "Crow" gimmick as well, but I feel that there are times that Sting does some unusual stuff that a gimmick like that shouldn't do, like "Woooing" and making jokes. I'll rather go with Undertaker's.

yes lets send sting to wwe and give his fans what they want, the hope and the dream of him winning at mania... hahaha what a joke... the wwe would never put him, let alone anyone, over against taker at mania... what a fucking joke... and 90 percent of stings real fans only want him to do the HOF because of the respect he deserves for carrying a company the way he did, not the nwo but wcw in general... so what waste all of that on a one time loss to the undertaker at mania, get real...

For me it has to be Sting with the better gimmick because Sting is just as famous as Hulk Hogan and he never worked for Vince. Right there that just says something if you would hear the fans from WCW when Sting didn't wrestle for over a year. All he did was just stand in the rafters and point his bat the crowd went nutz. He didn't do anything, didn't say anything just pointed the bat and had a bird on his arm. Taker couldn't do that trust me every time Taker would return from an injury he would have to send down lighting strikes or show druids comming down to the ring. Sting could just come down fromt the rafters and hit a few people with a bat and just go back up and people would not stop screaming for Sting until the next match started they would still be looking up at the rafters for Sting again

For me it has to be Sting with the better gimmick because Sting is just as famous as Hulk Hogan and he never worked for Vince. Right there that just says something if you would hear the fans from WCW when Sting didn't wrestle for over a year. All he did was just stand in the rafters and point his bat the crowd went nutz. He didn't do anything, didn't say anything just pointed the bat and had a bird on his arm. Taker couldn't do that trust me every time Taker would return from an injury he would have to send down lighting strikes or show druids comming down to the ring. Sting could just come down fromt the rafters and hit a few people with a bat and just go back up and people would not stop screaming for Sting until the next match started they would still be looking up at the rafters for Sting again

I agree with you on the fact that Sting could just come down from the rafters and hit a few people with a baseball bat and the crowd wouldn't stop screaming. Now, I could write a whole paragraph disagreeing with you on the fact that Sting isn't as famous as Hogan but I have one point that proves you wrong. EVERYBODY KNOWS WHO HULK HOGAN IS, WRESTLING FAN OR NOT!!!! Ric Flair has even said that. Sting is not near as famous as Hogan. Does everybody in the world know who Sting is? Hell no.

Sorry to go a little off subject. :banghead: I would say Taker's gimmick is better because it is more respected. Now if Sting was ever in the WWE then his might be up there with Takers.

Undertaker has by far the better gimmick in my opinion. Sting is great and all but when it comes to gimmicks/persona he has nothing on Taker. Sting has pretty much had to gimmick changes his whole career. The colorful beach boy and the Crow rip off gimmick.

Undertaker has taken a cartoonish gimmick and turned it into a phenom tweaking it many times over the years. I think Undertaker has Sting beat as an all out performer as well.

uh well there both cool when completley in Character.
my fave Undertaker was, Ministry Of Darkness Taker
and Sting was coolest when his gimmick first started,hanging out in the rafters acting like the Crow,so i dont know like i said when there both in character there both awesome..
But since ive watched wwe since i was a kid and theres that poll up there i guess ill pick Taker...

I agree with you on the fact that Sting could just come down from the rafters and hit a few people with a baseball bat and the crowd wouldn't stop screaming. Now, I could write a whole paragraph disagreeing with you on the fact that Sting isn't as famous as Hogan but I have one point that proves you wrong. EVERYBODY KNOWS WHO HULK HOGAN IS, WRESTLING FAN OR NOT!!!! Ric Flair has even said that. Sting is not near as famous as Hogan. Does everybody in the world know who Sting is? Hell no.

Sorry to go a little off subject. :banghead: I would say Taker's gimmick is better because it is more respected. Now if Sting was ever in the WWE then his might be up there with Takers.

Oh BS everybody wrestling fan or not does know who the stinger is. Young and old Sting is just as famous as Hulk Hogan and he did it without Vinces money. There are three wrestlers that will always be known to everybody doesn't matter if they have been a wrestling fan for 20 years or 1 year and thats Andre The Giant, Hulk Hogan, and Sting. Hell I never watched WCW during the monday night wars but i still knew who Sting was. Hell Sting even had the crowd in his hand better then Hulk could. You look the greatest matches of all time are and i promise you that Sting and Ric would be in the top 10 if not the top 5. I would like to see someone name a wrestler who doesn't have to say a word and just point a bat a somebody from the rafters and see if they can get a better pop

Sting in my mind had the better gimmick then the undertaker, Sting could play the crowd better but the Undertaker could play the mind games better

Oh BS everybody wrestling fan or not does know who the stinger is. Young and old Sting is just as famous as Hulk Hogan and he did it without Vinces money. There are three wrestlers that will always be known to everybody doesn't matter if they have been a wrestling fan for 20 years or 1 year and thats Andre The Giant, Hulk Hogan, and Sting. Hell I never watched WCW during the monday night wars but i still knew who Sting was. Hell Sting even had the crowd in his hand better then Hulk could. You look the greatest matches of all time are and i promise you that Sting and Ric would be in the top 10 if not the top 5. I would like to see someone name a wrestler who doesn't have to say a word and just point a bat a somebody from the rafters and see if they can get a better pop

Sting in my mind had the better gimmick then the undertaker, Sting could play the crowd better but the Undertaker could play the mind games better

I know plenty of people who know who Hulk Hogan is and don't know who Sting is. Face it, did Sting get all of those comercials? Was Sting the top guy in the biggest wrestling company in the world at one time? Did Sting get television and movie deals? Sting did not have the publicity that Hulk Hogan did. I like Sting way more than Hogan but everyone in there right mind knows Sting is not as famous as Hogan. You got to think all Sting has to do is point at his bat, but what does Hogan do? All Hogan could do is point to his ear and taunt and the fans would have a hell of a reaction.

Like I said, if Sting was in the top company then his gimmick might have been better than Takers. But Taker is winning in the poll because he is in the top company and has been for 20 years. Taker has the crowd in the palm of his hands when he slowly creeps to the ring.

The Undertaker
The deadman gimmick is one of the best of all time
Sure Sting's Crow gimmick is great but the undertaker just has that certain quality that make it in the top 5 of all time gimmicks

I know plenty of people who know who Hulk Hogan is and don't know who Sting is. Face it, did Sting get all of those comercials? Was Sting the top guy in the biggest wrestling company in the world at one time? Did Sting get television and movie deals? Sting did not have the publicity that Hulk Hogan did. I like Sting way more than Hogan but everyone in there right mind knows Sting is not as famous as Hogan. You got to think all Sting has to do is point at his bat, but what does Hogan do? All Hogan could do is point to his ear and taunt and the fans would have a hell of a reaction.

Like I said, if Sting was in the top company then his gimmick might have been better than Takers. But Taker is winning in the poll because he is in the top company and has been for 20 years. Taker has the crowd in the palm of his hands when he slowly creeps to the ring.

I know plenty of people too who know who Sting are and get this he isn't known for those Best Buy ads like Hogan is now, Sting is still known for what he can do in the ring. They know if from the Sufer gimmick to the Crow gimmick. If you care to look in the past Sting did get some spots on Tv and he was in the movie and i can't believe i am saying this is the same breath as STing but remember Ready To Rumble (God i think i threw up in my mouth a little bit) that movie might have been complete shit but Sting has been in movies my friend some better then that piece of monkey shit movie. Also Sting didn't just point the bat, don't remember "ITS SHOWTIME FOLKS". Sting is just as famous as Hulk as i keep saying HE DID IT WITHOUT VINCE'S MONEY Also Sting has been top guy in I think 2 companies TNA and WCW. Sting is better then Hulk, Sting is better then the Undertaker plain and simple.

I know plenty of people too who know who Sting are and get this he isn't known for those Best Buy ads like Hogan is now, Sting is still known for what he can do in the ring. They know if from the Sufer gimmick to the Crow gimmick. If you care to look in the past Sting did get some spots on Tv and he was in the movie and i can't believe i am saying this is the same breath as STing but remember Ready To Rumble (God i think i threw up in my mouth a little bit) that movie might have been complete shit but Sting has been in movies my friend some better then that piece of monkey shit movie. Also Sting didn't just point the bat, don't remember "ITS SHOWTIME FOLKS". Sting is just as famous as Hulk as i keep saying HE DID IT WITHOUT VINCE'S MONEY Also Sting has been top guy in I think 2 companies TNA and WCW. Sting is better then Hulk, Sting is better then the Undertaker plain and simple.

I also think Sting is better than Hulk Hogan but we are arguing about who is more famous not who is better, dumbass. Now, I am tired of arguing with you about this. Does the title say, Sting or Hogan? No it says Better Gimmick:Sting or Undertaker. So, what is your argument? That you are complete shit. Everybody on here knows Hogan is more famous, plain and simple. So quit flaming my thread, go make your own sorry ass thread about Sting or Hogan and I will continue the debate there. By the way, you are the one who mentioned Sting pointing the bat, not me. You said he could get a huge reaction without talking and just pointing the bat. I think, "It's showtime folks is talking."

GO START YOUR OWN DAMN THREAD ABOUT STING OR HOGAN BEING MORE FAMOUS!!!!!

Now, I will back up the Undertaker's gimmick has that undefeated streak at Wrestlemania. If Sting was ever in WWE, I am 99.9% sure he wouldn't go 18-0 at Wrestlemania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back