Best WWE Wikipedia entry to read?

TheRev

Dark Match Winner
I noticed that Yahoo had Hulk Hogan as the top trending topic this morning so I clicked on it to see what the big deal was. His Wiki was the 3rd most popular link so I decided to check it out. I think I read well over half of it and really enjoyed reviewing the history of things I saw as a kid or getting the blanks filled in from the years I didn't watch wrestling.

It also reminded me that I was present at the PPV that Hulk Hogan lost the WWE title for the very last time to the Undertaker.

I began to wonder what other wrestlers' Wiki pages would be worth the read. Are there any that stick out to you more than others as good reads?

I noticed that Yahoo had Hulk Hogan as the top trending topic this morning so I clicked on it to see what the big deal was. His Wiki was the 3rd most popular link so I decided to check it out. I think I read well over half of it and really enjoyed reviewing the history of things I saw as a kid or getting the blanks filled in from the years I didn't watch wrestling.

It also reminded me that I was present at the PPV that Hulk Hogan lost the WWE title for the very last time to the Undertaker.

I began to wonder what other wrestlers' Wiki pages would be worth the read. Are there any that stick out to you more than others as good reads?

Bret Hart and The Undertaker. Bret in particular has such a rich wrestling history and that of course goes without saying but if you read his page you will get an insight about what his early career was like wrestling in Stampede Wrestling and overseas. Pardon my markdom and bias since Bret is one of my favorites of all time. The thing I do like about Wikipedia is that despite the fact that the site is not always the most reliable for information you can still find good stuff on there. All you have to do is check the citations on the bottom of the page and then go from there, by doing that you can find where the information is being sourced from.

The Undertaker's wiki page is cool as well because like Bret they give some detail on his pre-WWF/E career, good for getting a perspective on something outside of any WWE produced stuff like DVDs and/or books (not to say WWE does not offer good information up but if you want something from a different perspective the Wiki pages are the way to go since they usually have the citations I mentioned in my last sentence).

So yup there's plenty to read about in further detail about these men like the history of Taker in previous personas such as Texas Red and The Punisher as well as Bret's previous incarnation in his WWF debut as a Cowboy. It's interesting to think that they did try a singles career for Bret first in the WWF before really pulling the trigger with him in that role during the 1990s.

Anyway man those are my two cents. Enjoy!

Bret Hart Wikipedia

The Undertaker Wikipedia

I find it difficult to read through any one wiki page without link hopping every time the article reminds me of someone else I haven't seen in years!

For me though I've ended up reading a few, like Raven and Saturn, their pages made fairly good reading. Hell anyone I have nostalgic 90's memories of, really.

Sandmans and Mick Foleys is a good Read aswell as Finlay and William Regal. Their all Pretty good Really although some are Pretty Boring E.G Kane

Awesome thread! I fimd myself constantly reading wiki for old wrestling greats like Mr. Perfect, Ted Dibiase, The Wild Samoans etc. My fave would have to be Y2J his wiki is really good. He has wrestled in so many places around the world and toured with Fozzy that he has the most worldy experience of my top fave wrestler. I also enjoy reading the PPV wiki especially if its a PPV i never had the pleasure of seeing

I always enjoy reading old pay per view results to see what feuds were going on. It was quite interesting seeing the progression of the invasion to the brand split.

I enjoy reading about controversial angles, storylines and factions. Like I like reading about The Montreal Screwjob! I found out that it happened on my 3rd birthday! The nWo wiki is pretty awesome. It tells you about who was in there and how each incarnation came about. Taker's is pretty cool too! It reminds you of how much his character has evolved over his 21 year career. Plus, it tells about their life outside the ring! I don't necessarily have a favorite, but I do enjoy a good long read about random things relating to wrestling.

Chris Benoit's is sad but great to read. It gives you a lot of background and details, most of which are directly related to wrestling, like the many chair shots he took to the head and numerous concussions leading up to the tragedy.

Pretty much all the big names in wrestling because they provided me with the most entertainment hence they have pretty entertaining wikis.

If i had to pick though...

Chris Benoit, Eddie G, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar etc.

Im one of those fans that LOVE great wrestlers and i have tons of memories of them doing epic things and making me laugh. They entertained me.

The older wrestling names certainly have much more interesting backstories and histories.

Triple H, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Sting, Ric Flair and Vince McMahon are all awesome reads I highly recommend.

Edge's is pretty interesting like his character transformation. Also I'll list other interesting ones not just veterans but current guys I found interesting:

HHH
CM Punk
Kane
Daniel Bryan
Shawn Michaels
The Rock
Batista
Ric Flair
Dusty Rhodes
Brock Lesnar
Eddie Guerrero

Also I find it interesting looking at past WWF/WWE/TNA/ECW PPV events:

December to Dismember 1995
Night of Champions 2009
WrestleMania IX
King of the Ring 1996

Just some to note.

I actually read wiki bios of wrestlers alot, hell i've been doing it for years and I always really enjoy it. Any wrestler's profile is fun to read but personally for me ofcourse some of my favorite bios are of my favorite wresters like Orton and Jericho(especially Jericho) but there are several good ones that I would reccomend. Definitely The Undertaker's is an epic read, Triple H, Shawn Michaels(that's where I first saw that his real last name is Hickenbottom), Brock Lesnar's is cool because I like reading about him transitioning from WWE to the UFC. Sheamus's is pretty fun, Big Show's is great and Chris Benoit's is very interesting, ofcourse it gets sad towards the end but it's fun to read about the highlights of his career. Lastly I'll throw in Booker T, Christian, Kane's is great and Eddie Guerrerro.

I always end up reading about some obscure wrestler I've never heard of. I actually can't remember names, I just link jack myself around independent stars that are retired now.

If I start reading any I just end up reading through loads at a time...following link after link and not knowing where I will end up. Wikipedia is great for this sort of thing and combined with youtube where you can actually watch what you are reading about I can be sitting there for hours if I have the time. I enjoy starting off with my favourite wrestlers obviously like Undertaker, Goldust, William Regal, Raven, Kane...but end up in places I would never have thought about unless the topic/wrestler/promotion came up in whatever I was reading at the time.

I honestly have to admit I'm not the type of guy to really read through every single bit of a wrestlers, or any wrestling related thing on Wikipedia (Hell I actually have to go as far as to say I've never read an entire article, unless it's been a short one!)

However, if I was to say one single article that I would read to the fullest, should I ever get around to it, it would have to be Vince McMahon. Vince has a very long history with the business, and have been one of the main aspects of it the entire way, via leading the biggest wrestling company in the past 30 some years, to being the big bad heel of the Attitude Era (Or at least one of them, with his feud with Austin), to all the controversial aspects in terms of the steroid case, the Montreal screwjob, every single thing about Vince McMahon to some extend have been a little bit controversial, or worth taking note of.

Vince McMahon, the on-screen persona, to me is one of the more interesting characters ever to have been developed in wrestling. The evil boss is something that will always work, because it's simple, yet it still takes something specific to truly work out, and being able to read about the many many years it has been carried on, and the various feuds he has been involved in, just to me makes it one of the better articles.

Wikipedia is actually a pretty good Wrestling reference to use as well. I use that along with TheHistoryOfWWE.com and Profightdb.com. I like reading alot of the Bios from everyone over the years from their Feuds,Titles they have won,etc. Good idea for this thread.

Any wrestler that you liked. All of those pages are quite informative. You can find out where they stood in the PWI and the Wrestling Observer Rankings. You will definetely like reading Wiki.

I've been reading Wiki for this stuff for awhile now and I love it. Every wrestler's story is unique and its worth reading.

I enjoy reading about midcarders that I didn't really care for and see their progression through the ranks (from small shows to IC title shots). I also like reading about wrestlers before my time (Bruno Sammartino and Buddy Rogers for example) and events & companies. What I usually do is if I find something controversial, I'll try to find a video of the match / promo in question (Zabysko turning on Sammartino, Warrior slamming Andre). It really gives me a greater appreciation for the rich history of the sport, when it was still considered a sport. You'll never know that Sammartino got bigger pops than Hogan and Austin and Rock until you see a video of how over he actually was.

I also multi-tab extensively, I end up having like 30 tabs of wiki articles and youtube links after a couple articles.

And I also search youtube for random wrestling clips and that often leads me back to Wiki.

i find reading wiki pages to be boring but the only ones i have read the whole thing for are cm punk,john morrison,velvet sky,taylor wilde,melina,shawn michaels and edge and out of all those id say punk and michaels were both entertaining for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back