Best Wrestlemania match: Triple H

LongLiveTheStreak

Pre-Show Stalwart
I have a great idea for a new thread series.

I have just written a list of some of Wrestlemania's greatest performers of all time. I will take one at a time and then take you through his Wrestlemania career. After reading through it, you will decide what you feel was his best Wrestlemania performance and why. And I would also like to know what you see as the man's worst Wrestlemania match.

And since there have been so many threads about The Undertaker's best and worst `Mania matches, the Deadman will not be part of this series.

So lets start the series. First up- Triple H. Lets take a look at The Game's Wrestlemania career:

Wrestlemania 12- Due to his actions in MSG, HHH was sent to the bottom of the ladder and forced to job to the returning Ultimale Warrior is humilitaing fashion.

Wrestlemania 13- Hunter Hearst-Helmsley w/ Chyna pinned Goldust w/ Marlena.

Wrestlemania 14- Retained the European Title over Owen Hart.

WM 15- lost to Kane by DQ after Chyna interfered.
Note: HHH and Chyna later that night rejoined the Corporation after Hunter turned on X-Pac.

WM 16- retianed the WWF title in the Fatal-4-Way Elimination match over Big Show, Mick Foley and The Rock.

[B}WM 17[/B]- HHH became The Undertaker's ninth Wrestlemania victim.

WM 18- Won the Undisputed Title from Chris Jericho.

WM 19- Retained the WHC over an up-and-coming "Cinderella Story" Booker T

WM 20- lost the world heavyweight championship to Chris Benoit in a triple threat match also featuring HBK.

WM 21- lost the WHC to formar Evolution member Batista.

WM 22- tapped out to WWE Champion John Cena the the main event.

WM 24- lost the triple threat WWE title match featuring John Cena and defending champ Randy Orton.

WM 25- HHH gained a measure of revenge for his family by retaining the WWE title over Orton.

WM 26- HHH pinned Sheamus in one-on-one competition.

So there you have it. What was Triple H's best and worst Wrestlemania performance? And His best doesnt necessarily need to be a win.

I thinh HHH's best `Mania match was at WM 18. Him and Jericho did a great job following Rock/Hogan. And with HHH's fake leg injury that Jericho caused on Raw before, I thought the match would dissapiont, but I liked it.

And I think his worst Wrestlemania match was at #21 against Batista. This really should have been a great match. Because of the storyline that lead up to it and it just looks good on paper. But it was very slow paced, boring and sort of a squash match, IMO. For a Wrestlemania main event, the crowd was not very into it I thought.

Best - I am going to have to say WrestleMania X-7 was his greatest WrestleMania match , or rather, it is the most entertaining WrestleMania match that I have seen him compete in and although he eventually lost out to the Undertaker, it was a fabulous match that either man could have won. His match with Benoit & Michaels at Wrestlemania XX was a classic no doubt, but he was greatly overshadowed by both Benoit and Michaels from start to finish, whereas his match against The Undertaker at Wrestlemania X-7 showed us what he is truly capable of.

All the way from the build to this match, this feud was done expertly. I believe it was Triple H who was exclaiming that he had beaten everyone that there was to beat and that no one was on his level. Although he may have played second fiddle to the Rock and Austin for a lot of his career at that stage, he had still accomplished a lot and people bought into it. Of course, The Undertaker corrected him and said that he hadn’t beaten him and a great feud was started. Both of these guys were fantastic talents at this stage and Triple H was an awesome heel. And although The Undertaker was going through his weak American Badass gimmick, it was really entertaining seeing these guys finally go at it (a reason why I think a rematch at WM XXVII next year would be dull, because PG won't allow both guys to brawl it out and top this match). This was Triple H at his peak. I loved the build for this match, especially the promo that started the feud on Smackdown. This is what I love to see at main; a fresh match between to main event stars that have been around for years but rarely crossed paths before. This was a great fight.

The match itself was brilliant and it was a bit before the streak actually meant a huge deal. Realistically, The Undertaker was always going to win the match but watching it at the time, I really thought that Triple H might have stolen it. I have always been an Undertaker mark and seeing him in this match against HHH was really gratifying. The match went all over the arena and although Triple H was on the backfoot for most of the match, some of the spots in the match were incredible. I also remember them trailing through the fans too.

Everything about the match screamed epic. Motorhead playing Triple H to the ring, Stephanie McMahon wasn't at ringside to interfere, and Undertaker's bad *** entrance with the motorcycle (how fast was he going?) before the match gave you the impression of a big match atmosphere. I actually liked the fact that the referee took the bump at the beginning few moments of the match to allow for the carnage that happened outside the ring. It was a great match to get the crowd riled up, and to be honest, I remember this match a little more fondly than the Austin-Rock match that followed.

When you look at Triple H's other matches, they are somewhat hit or miss in terms of quality at WrestleMania. The Warrior match was a throwaway. The Kane match was atrocious in my opinion from WM XV. The Fatal Four Way at 2000 was one of the worst Wrestlemania main events of all time. The match with Jericho at WM 18 was colossal bore due to dead crowd. His match against Booker T at Wrestlemania 19 was decent, but nothing special. As I stated above, he was nearly abysmal at WM XX. His match with Batista at Wrestlemania 21 was pretty entertaining but definitely not a classic. The only Wrestlemania classic Batista has ever got was against The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 23. His match with John Cena at Wrestlemania 22 put Cena as an icon, but definitely there was nothing to write home about. His match at Wrestlemania 24 was pretty forgettable. The match with Orton at Wrestlemania 25 last year made Undertaker vs Mark Henry at Wrestlemania 22 (generally labeled as the worst casket match ever) looks like the greatest Wrestlemania match ever. His match with Sheamus at Wrestlemania 26 was passable, but again nothing to write home about. Out of all the remaining matches, the WM X-Seven match has the most memories to me in terms of Triple H's presence at WrestleMania.

Worst - Definitely against Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 12. What was the point of the match, anyway? Showing Warrior's arrogance?

id love to say wm 12 vs the warrior cause im a huge warrior mark from way back... but id have to say against taker. that wasnt jus a match, it was an epic war going damn near all over the stadium and it really made both men look very strong it was by far hunters greatest mania match and even in defeathe came out ahead

I would have to say Wrestlemania 22 with John Cena. The match had a very old school arrogant heel and never giving up face for the title and it fit well perfectly. Of course the twist here was that the fans were cheering for the heel and booing the squeaky clean face, it was brilliant. It was also a well fought match and my only problem with it was the ending. It should have been more dramatic.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that his match against John Cena at Wrestlemania 22 was the best, with his match against The Undertaker closely behind. The reason I feel that this was his best match is because of the fact that this match featured the WWE's two biggest superstars, headlining an already solid Wrestlemania. From the entrances, to the in-ring work of both competitors, they certainly made it memorable. When I think about Triple H at a Wrestlemania, I think of Wrestlemania 22. The fact that he put Cena over gave him an eternal "rub", and really jump-started the rest of Cena's career at that point.

His match with The Undertaker at Wrestlemania X-7 was also good, but as I said, when I think of Triple H in a Wrestlemania match, I think of his match against John Cena at Wrestlemania 22.

Wrestlemania 12- Due to his actions in MSG, HHH was sent to the bottom of the ladder and forced to job to the returning Ultimale Warrior is humilitaing fashion.

Triple H jobbing to Warrior at WM12 had nothing to do with MSG. The MSG incident had not taken place yet. Mania was in March and the MSG incident was in May. Believe me you are not the first person I have corrected about this.

To answer your question I’m going to go with Taker from WM17. This is factoring in all things. I think the WM20 triple threat was a better match from bell to bell, but factoring the hype, atmosphere, along with the action the match against Taker gets my vote. This was a great feud between two long time main event stars that hadn’t really crossed paths much before. I was really looking forward to this. I normally prefer mat wrestling to brawling, but given how this feud was built a brawl was necessary and it was very well done.

Best
I have to say vs. Undertaker - This match was before his quad tears and he was at his best around this time..this he went into this match with all the momentum, after defeating Austin the previous month in the great 3 stages of hell match..and he brought up the 'streak' for the first time and was so sure he could do it...and the match itself didn't dissapoint anyone one bit..and it took palce in arguably the greatest PPV ever!

Honourable Mention
WM XX - This match, you can't say a bad thing about it..

Worst
Warrior - He could have been put over big time in this match...

Honourable Mention
WM 15 , 19...they wern't the best!

His match against Taker is my pick. I do like to watch a brawl and that's what these two men had, it was the first big meeting between these two greats and it didn't disapoint. His match with Cena was also good but it just doesn't compare to his match with Taker.

I feel and have always felt his match with the Undertaker at Wrestlemania was his best Wrestlmania match. The build up to that match was fantastic. The promos were excellent, especially the one where he called HHH out, and so were all of the interactions leading up to the match.

During this match I was on the end of my seat, and this is when Undertaker was probably the closest(with the possible exception of HBK2) to losing his streak. The match itself was pretty awesome. The two battled around the arena and the spot where Undertaker choke-slammed Triple H off of the stage was great. In the end 'Taker won this one but Hunter certainly put up one hell of a fight, and left a lasting impression on me.

Personally I'm gonna have to say Wrestlemania 16 was his best match. The match with Mick, Show, and Rock was such a great match. It's a match that I still love to watch, and it had a good balance of wrestling and big moments. I also loved his match with Y2J. HHH posing with the belts at the end of that match is just one of those moments that I'll never forget. His match with Cena was also very good. HHH happens to be one of the few guys who I think ups his game to a whole other level and just dominates at Wrestlemania, regardless of whether he's winning or losing.

This exact same "Triple H's best WM match" thread was just done about a month ago, and I remember the OP intending to make it a series... But to answer the question AGAIN, I'm going with Wrestlemania 20. Yeah, he lost. But it was my favorite Mania moment, and Triple H put Benoit over HUGE in that entire feud, really making him what he was by the end of his career. (no...not a killer, for the sick newfags out there).

As has been said many times in here. It's a toss up between his match with The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 17, or his triple threat at Wrestlemania 20 with Himself, Benoit, and Michaels.

My personal favorite is his match with The Undertaker. The leadup to this match was fantastic, with Trips saying he has beaten everyone there is to beat, until the Undertaker comes out and reminds him that he hasn't beat everyone. Such a great match too, with the fighting in the crowd, to the insane ending where you thought Triple H was going to win after he broke the sledgehammer over The Undertakers head. Only for The Undertaker to turn around and pin Triple H. Classic match, and one of Undertakers best as well.

Hunter has had many classics but I can narrow it down to two, vs Taker and vs HBK and Benoit, these were both classic matches but they were worked with two very different styles making them very hard to compare, the Taker match was more of your classic Attitude Era all over the arena brawl where as the WM 20 match was a much more technical match, I really have to base this of personal preference and go with the Taker match I simply just enjoyed it more. As for the worst easily the WM 12 match with Warrior hardly even a match 1 minuite squash was all it was.

nice thread, i would have to say either at x-7 or the triple threat at wrestlemania 20. HHH was red hot and really getting his main event career started right around X-7 so it was a good match up, i liked how he grabbed the sledgehammer while taker was about to give him the last ride and nailed taker with it, thought it was over, and the triple threat was just awesome, HHH really gets the job done " no pun intended" at mania, he really has put over alot of guys there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back