Best Performance By An Angry Black Man

Discussion in 'The Zonies (2011)' started by Monster Amongst Men, May 17, 2011.

?

Who Wins The Zonie Best Performance By An Angry Black Man

1. Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction)

2. Samuel L. Jackson (A Time To Kill)

3. Samuel L. Jackson (Black Snake Moan)

4. Samuel L. Jackson (Die Hard With A Vengeance)

5. Wesley Snipes (Blade)

6. Samuel L. Jackson (Lakeview Terrace)

7. Samuel L. Jackson (Snakes On A Plane)

8. Vin Diesel (Pitch Black)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Best Performance By An Angry Black Man

Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction)

Samuel L. Jackson (A Time To Kill)

Samuel L. Jackson (Black Snake Moan)

Samuel L. Jackson (Die Hard With A Vengeance)

Wesley Snipes (Blade)

Samuel L. Jackson (Lakeview Terrace)

Samuel L. Jackson (Snakes On A Plane)

Vin Diesel (Pitch Black)

*discussion will be open until Friday, May 23rd, on which date the polls will open and voting will be permitted. No spamming, no flaming.

enterkey likes this.
  2. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

I'd like to add a nomination.

[YOUTUBE]PZ2QFmJ7h0A[/YOUTUBE]

Because he's tired of these mutha' fuckin' snakes on this mutha' fuckin' plane!

Or this one:

[YOUTUBE]yMwmqp3GLMc[/YOUTUBE]

Things get get a WHOLE LOT WORSE!

Hahahaha!

Yeah, and I'll even try to think of one or two non-SLJ nominations, too...like this one from Bernie Mac:

[YOUTUBE]GM2rJzyA0P0[/YOUTUBE]

FUCK'EM!

3. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Well, the best performance in the lot is Pulp Fiction.

Sam Jackson is the epitome of 'Angry Black Man'

Snakes was good for quotes and thats all. PF was classic but Jackson was more calm and collected than mad or angry. His role in Jackie Brown was pretty cool. Jackson in Shaft was pretty angry but not as much as Lakeview Terrace.

Point being, he wins hands down. Only other name that should be nominated is Denzel in Training Day.

Hollywood Naitch likes this.
  4. JWGunslinger

JWGunslinger Warrior Forever

I have to say Lakeview Terrance, Sam Jackson plays not just an Angry Black Man but a fucking loony cop who wants to destory the whitey who moved in next to him. Not only is it a great movie but SLJ commands all the attention and I thought it was a very powerful performance. I personally think this is his best work though. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJHedqXcIM

5. Big Nick Dudley

Best Performance By An Angry Black Man

Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction) - Probably his best performance. Very angry, and really funny. Tarantino gave him a great script to work with, and he didn't disappoint.

Samuel L. Jackson (A Time To Kill) - Jackson is as angry as ever while taking the stand. Too bad this movie is absolute garbage.

Samuel L. Jackson (Black Snake Moan) - My favorite on this list. How much better can it get than Jackson chaining a young white woman to his furnace? It can't possibly get any better. Good film, too.

Samuel L. Jackson (Die Hard With A Vengeance) - Jackson is the only enjoyable part of this movie. Each time he speaks, I crack a smile.

Wesley Snipes (Blade) - Well, he kicked a lot of ass, and didn't say much. Snipes is much funnier, and human, than most believe. I dug this movie, but 95% of the credit goes to Stephen Dorff.

Samuel L. Jackson (Lakeview Terrace) - Haven't seen it, and have no plans to.

Vin Diesel (Pitch Black) - I often forget he's a black man. Interesting. Anyway, he's underrated as an actor, as crazy as that may sound. This is definitely his best pure action film, and is the best part of it. Someone give this man a decent fucking script, please.

6. FitFinlay4Life

FitFinlay4Life What's the craic?

Zeus has one thing going for him that Jules just doesn't - he's angry for the most of DH3. Jules is remarkably cool, he even admits that the Ezekiel quote is just "a cold-blooded thing to say", asides from getting irritated at Vincent's gay teasing (re: foot massaging) and then losing the rag at Vincent a couple of times in Jimmies (and as Vincent was being a prick, this isn't really that startling). Zeus is a legitimate 'angry black man', he doesn't trust whites to start with and having to assist a hungover white cop playing games to amuse a German sounding mofo (playing the Nazi card) doesn't improve his disposition. SLJ's roles in 'A Time To Kill' and 'Black Snake Moan', like 'Pulp Fiction', have moments of classic SLJ anger but, again, it is far from his overriding demeanour. His character in 'Lakeview Terrace' definitely falls under the angry black man banner but this role could have been easily reversed to an angry white man as this is a film on racial prejudice and SLJ's character is just a blatant racial twist.

Whilst I quite enjoyed 'Pitch Black' there is no way I could pick Diesel over SLJ, he is just to wooden.

Snipe's on the other hand is an underrated actor and 'Blade' (and 'Blade 2') are excellent examples of an angry black man with the ability to fire out zingers like the specially adapted bullets he uses...

However, I'm going with Zeus over Blade - Zeus is angry at getting forced to be involved in white man problems, Blade voluntarily gets into vampire faces. Zeus wins by virtue of having the greatest reason to be an angry black man coupled with a great performance by SLJ.

7. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Lakeview Terrace's Sam Jackson and here's why: You take all the angry performances by Samuel L. Jackson and put them into a blender, you get his character in Lakeview Terrace. Not only is Samuel L. Jackson pissed off in Lakeview Terrace, he's pretty fucking evil. He has a dead wife, annoying neighbours, a stressful job and teenage children. If that doesn't make you pissed off, who knows what will. He's one pissed off black man.

8. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

English mothafucka, do you speak it. That's a quote from Pulp Fiction, dontchya know? Jackson says a lot of other stuff in that movie as well that would make him pretty angry. Even though he is prepared to walk the world as a shepard by the end of the movie and yadda, yadda, yadda, he is still one angry sonovabitch. And Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever.

9. LSN80

LSN80 King Of The Ring

A Time To Kill for me. His performance as an angry black man was the most justifiable here. His daughter is brutally raped, and fearing the rapists might get off due to the racism in the area, he takes the law into is own hands. What follows is Jackson at his best. Whether it be his initial explanation as to why he killed the men, his refusal to take a plea agreement, or his famous "Yes, they deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell!", (which was beautifully parodied by Dave Chapelle) Jackson played an angry black man that wasnt necessarily typecast. Sure, the ingredients were there, white rapists, racism, and a black girl being raped, but he reacted in a way that many fathers, be they white, hispanic, Arabic, or black, would have done in the same situation. Yet he still played the 'black man' card over and again, like only Jackson can. I can't think of another movie where is anger was as justifiable, and he came across just as angry as he did in any other of the movies on the list. For me, it's impossible to vote elsewise.

10. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

SAY WHAT AGAIN!?

SLJ in Pulp Fiction is what made him what he is today. There are so many memorable quotes from Jackson in that movie, and he epitomises an angry black guy in the scene with Travolta and the "Royale With Cheese". To have an angry SLJ pointing a gun at you and stealing your breakfast must be terrifying.