• Josh Hamilton

• Matt Kemp

• Andrew McCutchen

• Justin Upton

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
These type of threads were done a few years ago by Blue Cardinal, and now that a few years have passed, times have changed and we may (or may not) have a new perspective on who we think is best. This series will be used to help identify who WZ think is the best current baseball player. While some positions are deeper than others, if you aren't the best at your own position you can't be the best in the game. With that being said, here's the criteria I'd like you all to use:

Who you think will play the best for THIS season only? Not in 5 years, not who's been the best in the past 5 years. Salaries aren't accounted for either. If you choose Bryce Harper over Adam Jones, it better be because you think Harper will have a better season, NOT because he will give you more bang for your buck.

This ISN'T a lifetime achievement award. Think of it like this: if you are a GM, and you have any 1 outfielder you can take for THIS YEAR ONLY, who would it be?

Also, for outfielder, try to use guys that will play primarily at outfielder (so no DH-first or multi-position guys (unless their primary position is catcher))

---
Considering I put all of the outfielders together, this position is going to be quite stacked. However, I didn't want to wittle the pool full of RF/LF/CF, so this is the best of the best. Really, there's a LOT of good options here, so I'll bring my top 5 in this category.

5. Curtis Granderson - I'm not the most comfortable putting Grandy here, since while he's a good player, his high K rate and clear regression #'s from last year scare me. To be honest, I think that'll be the best you've seen of Granderson in a Yankee uniform. Sure, he'll still be in the All Star chase, but he won't ever be a MVP candidate any other time in his career. Guys like Giancarlo Stanton, Justin Upton, Andrew McCutchen, and Adam Jones I wouldn't disagree to put here, but Granderson has done it longer and has been quite consistent. Still, he's already on the wrong side of 30 and I think he'll produce closer to his first year on the Yankees as opposed to last year.
4. Ryan Braun - Another guy I'm having my doubts about, but not as much as Granderson. Without Fielder behind him he shouldn't get as many chances to hit, but he still has 30 HR power and 20-30 SB ability, along with being servicable (but still slightly poor) in the outfield.
3. Jose Bautista - While he's a late bloomer, would you be shocked to hear he's only 1 year older than Granderson? This guy has a few good years left as an All-Star caliber player, and he's suffered a bit of bad luck to start this season so far (.183 BABIP, ridiculously low). He'll be near his averages of the past two years at the end of the season, and still could make his way into the MVP hunt should the Jays start to pick it up and get near the top of the division.
2. Josh Hamilton - The only concern with this guy is health, otherwise he may have been #1 here. He's always shown he's had the talent, and now that he's putting it all together, in that hitting box in Texas, he may put up some crazy numbers that look like they were stolen from the steroid era. He has got to reduce on chasing pitches (I believe 2nd highest total this year) and just stay on the field and he could be the runaway MVP.
1. Matt Kemp - If you throw out his 2010 he's gradually improved each year from starter to all star to MVP candidate. He came 1 HR short of a 40/40 season, and that's with playing 1/2 his games in a pitchers park. Aside from the slight injury he's sufferring through right now, he hasn't had any noteworthy health issues, missing only 11 games in the last 4 seasons. That last statline makes me put him above Hamilton, since you never know when Hamilton might go down with something. Kemp, for the most part, has been Mr. Reliable, which is a definite attribute.

Likely the toughest decision I've made so far, I felt more was needed to justify my choices. I'll likely include a few others as well because there's one or two I felt I probably should've included but didn't.

Previous Entries
1st base: Albert Pujols
2nd base: Robinson Cano
3rd base: Miguel Cabrera and Evan Longoria
Shortstop: Troy Tulowitzki
Catcher: Brian McCann

I voted for Hamilton, although I think Michael Bourn deserves a mention as well, the Braves offense wouldn't be near what it is without him leading off. He's hitting .328, with a .383 OBP, 13 SB, 28 Runs Scored, with 11 RBI and has played very good defense so far this year.

based off the past week or 2 id say josh hamilton without a doubt but overall my vote is going for beast mode aka matt kemp beast mode never sleeps and kemps a beast both on offense and defense he can do it all.

I got to vote for McCutchen. Being a fan of the Pirates, I get to see him play alot. He is a great outfielder and he is a hell of a hitter too.

Hamilton's approach isn't sustainable. He has a HUGE swing% of pitches outside the zone. When he's on, he has the batspeed to make up for it. When he's not (and he's not right now), it's like watching Ryan Howard.

Kemp is, up until recently, healthier, a better defender, younger, and a more complete hitter.

Honorable mention to Giancarlo Stanton and Andrew McCutchen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back