Best Non Big Four PPV Ever

mrbrownstone

Fucking Hostile
So this is my first thread pretty sure there isnt anything like this, if so please move it there. I think I've got it in the right place (was tossing up between here and Old School) but if not please feel free to move it to where ever. Now onto the actual topic.

Often you will see a best ever Pay Per View ever thread where you will get the same old answers Wrestlemania 17, Wrestlemania 19, Summerslam 2002, Royal Rumble 2001, Survivor Series... come to think of it there has never really been a CLASSIC Survivor Series but that is for another topic. Anyway what I am asking you to do here is think outside of the box a bit and go beyond the regular answers. What I am asking is, What is your favourite (WWF/E) Pay Per View of all time that isn't one of the big four (Summerslam, Survivor Series, Wrestlemania and The Royal Rumble)?

My Picks:

No Way Out 2001: This was a great card, it had an epic nearly 40 minuite 3 Stages of Hell match featuring Hunter and Stone Cold and a very good WWF Title match between Angle and The Rock (probably one of The Rocks best matches). Throw in a 4-Way featuring Benoit,Jericho.Eddie and Syxx Pac (its hard to go wrong with Guerrero, Benoit and Y2J all in the same match) and a Tables match with E&C, The Dudleyz and The Brothers of Destruction and you have a great PPV. The only low point is the match between Lawler and Stevie Richards otherwise its a great PPV.

Fully Loaded 2000: This was another great card highlighted by a Last Man Standing Match between HHH and Y2J and a WWF Title match between Benoit and The Rock which is another of The Rocks best (funny how some of his best matches are against Angle and Benoit but again thats for another thread). You also have Angle/Taker and Rikishi and Val Venis inside a Steel Cage to round out a great PPV.

Anyway I've given my picks now its time to hear yours.

Your spot on when you said No Way Out..I think it was amazing...

Another pick for me would be Backlash 2000...you no be perfectly honest..I enjoyed most ppv's from 2000...

No Way Out - Loved the hell in a cell match and the cage match and the rock/show match..

Backlash - The Rock finally got the title...

Judgement Day - Taker made his return after a long 1 hour battle where we saw HBK as referee

No Mercy - Had a good card

Armageddon - Mostly because of the 6-man cell match!!

my favourite would still have to be Backlash 2000...

Easy, Unforgiven 2006.

Awesome opener with Johnny Nitro and Jerr Hardy being given over 15 minutes in an IC title battle. You had Trish Stratus last match, and last encounter with Lita, which she won with a sharpshooter to en epic pop froma rabid Toronto Ontario crowd. You had for what my money was a very brutal, and entertaining HIAC between DX and The Mcmahons with Big show. A very, very good little six minute match between Randy Orton and Carlito.

Top things off with the match that many feel to be the bext one on one TLC match ever, with John Cena Vs Edge, with a RIDICULOUS foam mouthed crowd cheering Edge on.

Of course, I must site what I feel to be probably the best show of all time

Canadian Stampede 1997.

Awesome rough and tumble opener between Triple H and Mankind, which continued throughout the rest of the show (that isnt even a joke)

Very good little spotfest cruiser match between The Great Susake and Taka Michonoku.

Awesome big man title match between The Undertaker and Vader, who while at this time wasnt quite the man he had been, still had plenty in the tank, and put in a good one.

And of course, the main event, a match I maintain to be pretty much the best match ever, (as in ever in wrestling) the ten man tag match between The Hart Foundation and The americans. I have gushed over it plenty in the past, no need to do so now. Lets just say there is NO way to book it better, there is NO way anyone could have played their roles better, everything about it was perfect and amazing.

Do yourselves a favor, and find these two shows.

St. Valentine's Day Massacre, February 14, 1999

Bob Holly vs Al Snow...the birth of "hardcore" holly...which lead to the holly family, 24/7 rule. etc...etc...etc....

Kane & Chyna vs DX (X-Pac & HHH)...the last ppv with hhh w/ the "new" dx before he went corporate and became a huge singles star

Mankind vs The Rock in a Last Man Standing Match...pretty good follow up to the royal rumble i quit match..ended in a draw...which rarely happens anyway..pretty nuts..

Stone Cold vs Vince McMahon in a Steel Cage...nuff said...kudos to vinnie mac for huge spot..last big appearance of 80s style cage...i think...debut of the big show...one of the largest steals from wcw..no pun intended..

I loved Unforgiven 2008, the debut of the Championship Scramble match, an awesome unsanctioned match between Jericho and HBK. Awesome PPV in my opinion. Great American Bash 2008, Edge vs. Triple H, John Cena vs. JBL (Gotta hand it to them they put on good stipulation matches), Judgement Day 2005. Most recent great PPV for me is MITB, the ladder matches always deliver and I was ecstatic when Kane won. Armageddon 2008 (Back when I was a huge Jeff fan), Punk vs. Mysterio was a great match and Jericho/Cena have chemistry, could be down to Jericho being one of the best and never have a bad match and can carry people to a top match. One Night Stand 2008 (Damn in my opinion '08 was a great PPV year!) had a strong card, One Night Stand '07 (Bar Khali/Cena mind), No Way Out 2004 and No Way Out 2009. ONS 06, Unforgiven '06 (HIAC and TLC were two great matches)

It's not even a contest... IYH: Canadian Stampede is the best non-big four PPV (& arguably the pest PPV period!)

Just watch the mainevent when Bret Hart was pummeling Stone Cold in the corner & the building literally started to shake, such was the atmosphere created by the crowd.

It was also Stone Cold Steve Austin's finest EVER heel performance.

A lot of greats already mentioned but i see one what is missing and surely loved by ECW fans!

ECW One Night Stand 2005

I mean the stars they got in for this was incredible.

Great opener with Jericho and Storm also seeing Justin Credible, Dawn Marie and Jason was great.

Awesome 3-way dance with Little Guido, Tajiri and Super Crazy. Moonsault of the balcony. OMG lol

Then some nice cruiserweight action with physchosis against Rey Mysterio.

Then RVD returned with a nice promo setting up a great hardcore bout between Rhino and Sabu.

A good match between two of the best in Benoit and Guerrero (RIP)

Then another great hardcore match between longtime rivals Mike Awesome and Masato Tanaka.

Then who could forget Paul Heyman's classic promo.
- Im not crying, i wa sjust out the back smoking a joint with RVD lmao
- Eric Bischoff "Your in our house"
- Edge "Hide your wives its Edge, well i have 2 words for you, Matt Freakin' Hardy"
- JBL "The only reason you was WWE Champion for a year, was because Triple H didn't wanna work Tuesdays"
Ha classic stuff.

Then who could forget the dudleys taking on Tommy Dreamer and the Sandman.
Sandmans classic entrance, bWo, AXL rotten + Balls Mahoney, Kid Kash, Kendo Sticks, Steel Chairs, Cheese Graters, Ladders and Flaming Tables, Impact Players and then at the end Sandman "Get me a beer".

Austin then charging to the ring then getting the ECW guys out and the WWE guys came to the ring. Then with Taz making his return, choking Angle out.

Also Bischoff being £D'd, headbutted, 619'd and finally stunner'd before Dudleys put him in the back of that truck.

And closing the show with beers. Awesome

I'm a big fan of King of the Ring 2001. Kurt Angle had 3 matches that night against Christian, Edge & Shane O Mac. The street fight against Shane in my opinion, is 1 of the top 20 matches of all time and certainly one of the most brutal.

There was also good matches with Jeff Hardy vs. X-Pac, and Edge vs. Rhyno.

And then the epic main event triple threat match between Austin, Jericho & Benoit, in which Booker T made his WWF debut appearance. It went for almost a half hour and the two Chris' destroyed Austin with countless suplexes and submission holds, before he eventually retained his championship.

Another great one was No Mercy 2002.

This PPV had maybe the greatest tag team match of all time, Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle vs. Edge & Rey Mysterio. Just an epic, fast paced, back and forth match that was exhilarating to watch.

The undercard was good. RVD vs. Flair, Trish vs. Victoria, Triple H vs. Kane were all nice matches.

The main event was Lesnar vs. Undertaker in Hell in a Cell. We all know about this war. Lesnar was an animal, he threw the ring steps halfway across the ring, 'Taker bled buckets, & they absolutely destroyed each other and Brock took himself to an even higher lever with this bout. Think about it, when else in history have we seen anything like the final images of that match, with Lesnar standing on top of the cell holding the WWE title above his head, with a beaten, bloodied Undertaker laying in the ring below. Truly an epic moment...

Fully Loaded 2000 was the first to come to mind. You've got Angle/Taker, the Jericho/HHH Last Man Standing match (their best match together BY FAR, certainly puts the lame WM18 match to shame) and of course Rocky/Benoit. A fine undercard too, with a nice Saturn/Eddie match and the Val Venis/Rikishi cage match that frankly was much better than it had any right to be.

I taped it when it was first on (back in the Channel 4 days for UK members), need to dig out that old tape again actually. Great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back