• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Movie Of 2008

CCS

Getting Noticed By Management
I looked around and didnt see any threads like this so i figured i'd make it. Since their's been a lot of great movies this past year i figured that it deserves a thread. Most people are going to say The Dark Knight so im not going to waste my time on it.

My pick for best movie of this year is............

seven_pounds.jpg

I just watched this movie a few days ago and it really blew me away. It's really one of the most emotional movies i've ever seen.All of the acting was great in this movie. All the actors did a great job of making you feel the raw emotion of the story. Rosario Dawson gives the best performance of her career in this movie and in my opinion she should win an oscar for it. Will Smith's acting is also top notch. The storyline is great although it can be confusing at times. It can really make you think about what you've done with your life. This should be a movie that makes people change their outlook on life. It's that powerfull.

So, you've seen my pick. Now what's yours ?

The Dark Knight is easily in the top 5, but certainly not the best. The best film is probably some foreign language film that only two people on the forum have heard of. Gomorra, The Diving Bell & The Butterfly, something like that.

People might say The Dark Knight is the best film of the year because people went back and saw it over and over again. To that I say Mamma Mia!, it made more in the UK than TDK.

I've seen fuck all films this year. Well, I've seen a lot of films but haven't been to the cinema much. I'm still to see stuff like Gran Torino, Benjamin Button etc. etc.

Let's see, the films released this year that I've seen. Erm, Dark Knight, Iron Man, Wall-e, Changeling. There may have been more. Out of that extensive list, Changeling was the best.

Changeling​

Pretty good. I'm no massive fan of Clint Eastwood movies but they're consistently better than most others. Angelina Jolie cried a lot. It was a good performance, she would cry a lot in that situation. Nude scene guarantees her an Oscar. Other characters were good and caricatured just to the right degree. It accomplished something which few films do - it made me give a shit. It didn't make me care massively or really emotionally invest, nor did it shock me. I've seen Se7en. Still, no other film did that this year and no other film was as satisfying.

Sure, it's undeserving of its hype. What isn't? It dragged a bit and the side story could have used a bit of reining in. The piano music was maybe a bit much. It still pissed on Wall-e and The Dark Knight though.

Iron Man was great.

Edit: Does NCFOM count? If it does, that.

Gomorra is probably that best film I have seen this year. From what I have seen, most people have gone absolutely ape shit over Slumdog Millionaire, which, in my opinion, is good, but not great. Same thing goes for The Dark Knight (which I thought took way too much from Heat in creating the interaction between Batman and the Joker).

And, as for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, it was released here in the U.S. during 2007. However, I have no problem considering it the best film of 2008 if that is when it was released in Britain; it was certainly the best film of 2007.

I personally pick The Dark Knight,Mainly because I enjoy any movie with Heath Ledger in it. To me, The Joker(Heath), is who made the movie worth while. He played an excellent roll in it and he will be remembered for that role. Plus the darker side of the movie was great. I don't think that movie would have done well if Heath A) Hadn't of passed away or B) Wasn't in the movie period. Christian Bale played his role great too. Granted he's played in more than one Batman movie. To me he plays the best Batman character.

Seven Pounds was absolute shit. It's contrived, it's depressing, it's melodramatic, and Will Smith, THE MOST likeable and charismatic movie star in the world today, couldn't make this pathetic man the least bit likeable. Despite the fact that, well, I guess he's doing a good thing, you cannot sympathize with this... well, he's essentially just a suicidal crybaby.

I will rarely name a large studio movie as the best film of the year. Last year, the two best films were little independently produced endeavors, No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood (Which I re-watched the other day and realized I was a fucking idiot for not including in the Movie Tournament).

This year however, the two best films of the year were large summer tentpole flicks: Iron Man and The Dark Knight. Both these films were fantastic, and can deservedly be referred to as "films" and not "movies". These are two of the finest examples of what the superhero genre can be.

The Dark Knight was a dark, thought provoking film that resonated with depth. This movie did not compromise the core artistic values that IS film making. It had award worthy acting, writing, and directing. It truly transcends the genre. It was like "The Untouchables" except Elliot Ness wore rubber and kevlar and Al Capone wore make-up and wielded a knife. It's a superhero film as if directed by Martin Scorsese.

Iron Man, on the other hand, fully embraced its comic-book roots, and it paid off handsomely. Despite the fact that the studio more likely than not was just completely concerned with making a blockbuster, they still went ahead and made a quality piece of what I would classify as "pop art". And it can all be owed to a terrific cast, and director Jon Favreau, who was smart enough to realize that if you really wanna make a buttload, you have to make sure your movie is actually good. Think of how much money a shit fest like Daredevil or Fantastic Four could have made with a Jon Favreau at the helm. If The Dark Knight is the Scorsese comic book film, then I would have to compare Iron Man to being Steven Speilberg's kind of comic book movie. It's visually stunning, beautiful, and imaginative. Between Iron Man and Tropic Thunder, Robert Downey, Jr. was easily the Star of the Year, despite what People Magazine might say (Fuck Hugh Jackman!)

Overall though, this was a great year for movies, and I think it shows in the fantastic receipts. So many films showed to have better legs than most Hollywood films do (TDK, Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, Kung Fu Panda, Wall-e) And what do they all have in common? They were all great films. Hopefully, 2008 will be remembered as the year when studios finally realized that "mediocre movies= mediocre returns, great movies= great box office results".

^^ I totally agree with your view on Seven Pounds. Slow piano music, close ups and montages do NOT make an "emotional" movie..

I'd say Frost/Nixon, Tropic Thunder, Step Brothers, The Mist (for the UK) and Iron Man were really great movies that I saw last year.

I'd say TDK.. but that's a given. :p

The Dark Knight cause it shows a completely dark side which is great. The acting in that movie was fantastic. Heath Ledger played The Joker to perfection & is quite honestly the best Joker period. Christian Bale also played a great Batman as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back