• Miz vs. John Morrison - Raw - 1/3/11

• CM Punk vs. Randy Orton - Extreme Rules

• Edge vs. Dolph Ziggler - Royal Rumble

• Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio - Wrestlemania

• Undertaker vs. HHH - Wrestlemania

• Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio - Extreme Rules

• Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle - Lockdown

Results are only viewable after voting.
Torn on this one. Christian/Orton produced the most entertaining matches of the year for me, but I'll see how the voting patterns go before deciding.

Seems like every option is worth a vote but Punk vs Cena truly was the best "in the moment" match all year long. It kept me on the edge of my seat, the action, the drama, the finish everything was just what you would want out of a match and do to that I am casting my vote for their MITB encounter as 2011's Match of the Year.

Cena vs. Punk in Money in the Bank was definitely a great match, and it should probably win. I personally went with Orton vs. Christian at Over the Limit as I was blown away with the chemistry that the two of them had in the match. The crowd brought some great energy to the match as well. As I said, Punk/Cena at Money in the Bank should win, but I'm giving my vote to Orton/Christian at Over the Limit in appreciation for another great contest on this list.

Way too much WWE on this list. Not a single ROH match? Really? I can understand the lack of Japan, indies, and lucha but you'd think atleast one ROH match would be included. Richards vs. Edwards from Best in the World was better than just about every match on this list except for Cena/Punk and received near universal acclaim.

Cena/Punk will be getting my vote.

And who the hell put both Rhodes/Mysterio matches on here? Those were good but they weren't anything more than ***-***1/2 stars max man, nowhere near MOTY quality.

No Smackdown Money In The Bank? What the shivering fuck?

Cena vs. Punk is going to (quite rightly) win, so I'll go for something else.

Christian vs. Randy Orton stole the show at SummerSlam. It told a beautifully simple story: Christian had nowhere to hide. He was trapped in the arena with weapons and an irate Randy Orton. The match was absolutely brutal, too. Exactly what you'd want from a PPV no-DQ match.

Had to go with HHH vs Taker at WM27 because I was there live and to experience that was just amazing. I really wish I could see every match Taker has at WM because the reaction from the crowd was just so emotional, I loved every second of it.

Thought about this one for a bit now. I don't think any match, Punk/Cena included, told the kind of story Orton/Punk did at ER, especially when you take into consideration the small amount of time they had to work with. Since that match isn't on this list, I'll go with their ER match.

Punk/Cena just put on a masterful match, start to finish. Not to mention that it shut many of the skeptics up who constantly say that Cena is not a good wrestler or is incapable of putting on a memorable match. That bout silenced the skeptics and entertained the shit out of us.

I loved the Iron Man match between Bobby and AJ at Final Resolution as I felt it showed a degree of ring psychology that I haven't seen in quite some time (Kurt vs James at the same event was also very good IMO).

However, foregoing that possibility, I have to go with Punk vs Cena at MITB which had great crowd interaction, great chemistry between the two guys and (I can't emphasis this enough) Punk was portrayed as Cena's equal, or possibly even his better.

And who the hell put both Rhodes/Mysterio matches on here? Those were good but they weren't anything more than ***-***1/2 stars max man, nowhere near MOTY quality.

In the words of every black man ever, bitch please. Of all the crimes against humanity you and your oddly specific fraction-based rating system have committed, this is by far the most egregious.

Those matches were at least ***5/8. Get with the program.

This one was extremely hard for me as I was beyond blown away by Randy Orton vs Christian on SD and Ziggler vs Punk on Raw. Both of them were incredible but in the end I give the nod to Punk and Dolph, I felt like I was watching the future during the match with our current champion and a future world champion putting on such a beautiful display of wrestling.

Cena vs Punk definitely deserves credit too and I thought it was great but it didnt blow my mind like these other matches.

No match on this list had me titillated like Cena vs. Punk. There was an element of "will they or won't they" with Punk walking away with the WWE Championship, and it was one of the rare matches where you have absolutely 0 idea of who's going to win. The audience was fantastic, and CM Punk and Cena delivered an absolute classic. It was easily the best match in each of these men's respective careers, and that's saying quite a bit.

Not that I need to convince anyone with this little speech. The numbers speak for themselves.

Yep it's Cena/ Punk all the way. This is the first match which did not include an Attitude Era superstar which I was anticipating with bated breath. The story they told, right upto the very end was perfect and the crowd reaction was something else. It made me wish I was there.

All the Christian/ Orton matches deserve to be here but their matches at OTL and SummerSlam were the best two matches of that feud. Both were very different matches though, one was face vs face and the other a vengeful face going after a cowardly heel. The match at SummerSlam deserves the second spot and the one at OTL deserves 3.

As a match, Orton vs Christian at OTL was like the ''I just scratched my arse in public and got away with it'' feeling of the year. Yeah, that good. However, Punk vs. Cena was more... meaningful and more story-wisey. As a pure wrestling match, Orton vs. Christian edge's it on a 1/654 basis.

Voted Ziggler vs Edge, whilst it may not be the best match on the list it was my favourite match this year.

How is Smackdown's Elimination Chamber not on the list?

Miz vs. John Morrison - Raw - 1/3/11

The first match of the year and still the one I enjoyed the most. Had it been on a PPV it would have been getting a hell of a lot more votes and Miz would have been seen as a far more credible champion.

I was really hoping that Cena/Punk wouldn't have such a landslide lead in this poll. Not that I'm discrediting its legitimacy, it's just always more fun to have a closer race... I did not vote for that match because in retrospect, the actual contest wasn't that stellar. I was there, and the Chicago reaction was amazing. The moment was fantastic, the build was incredible, and I will say Punk winning the title and walking out was probably my moment of the year... But if you look at just the match, it's only really great in the moment. Once you look back at it as just a match, without the thrill of the Punk shoot and aforementioned build, it's just an above average main event match.

But of course there's more to pro wrestling than just the in-ring action. There's the story that's being told, and that's why I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing Punk/Cena's MITB match as Match of the Year. Personally, I chose Edge/Ziggler from the Royal Rumble. That match was incredible, and in my opinion cemented Ziggler as a main event caliber wrestler and somebody I could take seriously with a World title strapped around his waist. I voted for it because it wasn't just about the moment or the build, and no matter how many times I see it, it's still a great match.

I don't think I can really add anything here other than there a variety of fine choices...and then Cena/Punk which waltzes away with victory, and quite rightfully so. It had drama, action and created an amazing hype. Even Nick fucking liked it, and he was adamant it would be a letdown.

Even though I voted for Cena/Punk the dominance it has had is making me think I should have casted a vote in a different direction for variety's sake as I very much enjoyed all the matches on that list if Smackdown's MITB match made the nomination I probably would have ended up voting for that, best opening match I've seen in a good while.

Reactions: X
Since the Smackdown MITB ladder match didn't make the list(One of the best ladder matches i have ever seen & had my heart racing from start to finish for Daniel Bryan to win) I will vote Punk/Cena instead. The reasons were listed.

At least one ROH match really should've been listed here. With that being said, other than Kevin Steen, ROH has been pretty shit this year. I was a big fan of the four corner tag team elimination match at Best in the World. I disagree with X's opinion of Richards/Edwards. I've never been a fan of either man and Richards can barely tell a story. There was hardly any selling in the match too, it was just them going through the motions for the most part.

Reactions: X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back