• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Indy Going Today

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
THIS THREAD HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU COURTESY OF THE AGE OF THE FALL

So...the point here is simple. What is the best Independent going today?

I got to put in my vote for Ring of Honor and IWA East Coast. Most of you posting here know of ROH and it's success, so I'll leave it at that.

IWA East Coast, however, may not be as well known. It is based in Charleston, West Virginia. Founded and ran by Kevin Canady, better known as "Mad Man" Pondo, it features talent such as Pondo, Necro Butcher, Drake Younger, Shiima Xion, Zac Vincent, and others (at least last time I saw them). They feature a good amount of hardcore and deathmatch wrestling and I find much entertainment from their product.

So, put in your two cents for the best indy out today.

Of course it's going to be hard not to pick ROH!

You have the talent pool mixed in with Jim Cornette and Adam Pierces booking you've got the right direction going. IMO they are an Indy but at the same time I like to refer to the business as the Big 3 (The E, TNA, ROH)

I mean you can say TNA has Spike TV, but ROH out sells them in the houses and have stronger markets in all the wrestling towns.

But I do enjoy the fact you were original and went with the unpopular route. I'll follow and select Dragon Gate USA.

Gabe is loved by many on these boards and I've seen the people that disagree with his work. I personally think he's a great booker with a good wrestling mind.

The 6 man at the Dragon Gate Mercury Rising ppv was very good with a lot of fun spots and good overall wrestling.

Their July PPV is looking stacked and marks the return of Dragon Danielson and I'm disappointed because I'll be in Chicago at the ROH show and was hoping Danielson would book the ROH Chicago show. Oh well, both shows will be amazing!

A lot of good talent and hope to see some of them get their shot in the top 2 orgs someday. Or ROH if they get a better cable deal!

Of course it's going to be hard not to pick ROH!

You have the talent pool mixed in with Jim Cornette and Adam Pierces booking you've got the right direction going. IMO they are an Indy but at the same time I like to refer to the business as the Big 3 (The E, TNA, ROH)

I mean you can say TNA has Spike TV, but ROH out sells them in the houses and have stronger markets in all the wrestling towns.

But I do enjoy the fact you were original and went with the unpopular route. I'll follow and select Dragon Gate USA.

Gabe is loved by many on these boards and I've seen the people that disagree with his work. I personally think he's a great booker with a good wrestling mind.

The 6 man at the Dragon Gate Mercury Rising ppv was very good with a lot of fun spots and good overall wrestling.

Their July PPV is looking stacked and marks the return of Dragon Danielson and I'm disappointed because I'll be in Chicago at the ROH show and was hoping Danielson would book the ROH Chicago show. Oh well, both shows will be amazing!

A lot of good talent and hope to see some of them get their shot in the top 2 orgs someday. Or ROH if they get a better cable deal!

I don't know much about DG USA, personally. I do here many people raving about it and I'll have to try to watch it some time.

Another promotion I forgot to mention is CHIKARA. CHIKARA doesn't even try to be realistic, which is part of what makes it great. The gimmicks are fun and the action is great. It is just over-the-top entertainment, something which is nice to see in wrestling.

ROH wouldn't really be in the discussion here right now in my opinion, for more than one reason. For one they've become so established as the number 3 brand in the US that at this point I'd almost put them slightly above the level of an indy, similar to ECW in the late 90s and early 2000s. Secondly, ROH has really declined in quality over the past year or so in my eyes with the losses of guys like Nigel and Danielson. We still see a ton of great wrestling out of ROH in a year, just not at the same consistent level we used to see though.

If you had asked me this question about seven or eight months ago my answer would have immediately been Dragon Gate USA, as their first few shows were all stellar with several "Match of the Year" candidates on them, but over time it seems with each Dragon Gate show they seem to decline a bit, it's strange, they started off SO hot last summer but their last few shows, while all solid, haven't featured a real "HOLY SHIT!" kind of moment or match since last fall. Still a great promotion that I love watching, but I'd mark them out in the quality department right now just for the moment.

I watch quite a few other indy promotions as well, including EVOLVE, CHIKARA, PWG, JAPW, AAW and even a few international indies like DDT, Dragon Gate and Osaka Pro. So far though in 2010 the one indy promotion I've probably enjoyed the most though would have to be Pro Wrestling Guerilla out of Southern California, who continue to put on consistently excellent cards from top to bottom almost every single month with great crowds, a fun atmosphere, and often-times brilliant in-ring wrestling, such as the five star match that Kenny Omega and Davey Richards had a few months ago, which is my current pick for the match of the year in my eyes. A great promotion with a great undercard, midcard, tag team and world title division. I so badly wish they'd tour outside of their native Southern California, but the odds o that happening are unlikely.

As for the previously mentioned IWA:EC, sorry Sign Guy, just not my thing. I'm not a huge fa of deathmatch wrestling, especially when it's performed by absolute hacks like Ian Rotten and his merry band of human excrement. Not a fan of really any of the IWA promotions.

CZW I can enjoy in very small doses, mainly because I'm a fan of Jon Moxley and CZW still features some pretty solid junior heavyweight and tag team wrestling, but the fact that fucking Zandig is still main eventing shows for that promotion in 2010 is absolutely tragic, and immediately turns me off on the promotion. Who knows, maybe they can become relevant again under their new ownership, not sure I see it happening though.

The world of professional wrestling is much larger than just the WWE and TNA, so I really hope other people support and get into the indies, because without these promotions those guys you love on the big stages would never be discovered in the first place. Support the fuckin' indies people! Go to sites like Smart Mark Video and buy a few shows, these guys destroy their bodies for your entertainment and get paid nothing to do it, the least you can do is shell out a few bucks for some DVDs.

Good thread Sign Guy. Probably won't get much attention though because most people on this forum like to stick with the big two and not mess around with much indy stuff. Glad to see you're supporting your local scene though, even if I'm not an IWA fan.

I guess we all agree that ROH is the easy pick, so I'm just going to skip that.

As far as local promotions go, well there is wXw in Germany.
You may know them for their annual 16 Carat Gold tournaments, which usually include quite a few popular wrestlers from the American as well as the Japanese independent scene. Normally, their shows mix those more widely known indy workers with local, European wrestlers.

Personally, I must admit I would probably not go to one of their shows that feature only German wrestlers, mainly because it still is quite a long travel to get there and I would not be sure what I'd get for my money. However, if there is a more popular wrestler (Bryan Danielson is going to be there this weekend, as is Doug Williams), I definitely do want to go.
This formula works quite well. The indy 'stars' attract people who want to watch them and consequently, people are going to take notice of more local guys and see that they actually don't all suck.

As far as not-so-local promotions go, I have to agree with xfearbefore about PWG, basically for the same reasons he listed.
I'm so excited for their next show Seven in about a month. On paper, the card looks fucking awesome and I can't think of many reasons how it could possibly disappoint, other than my too high expectations perhaps.
If you don't know, the card includes a championship match between Davey Richards and Chris Hero, as well as one between ¡Peligro Abejas! and the MCMG and a regular match with Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong.
Even if it were only those three matches (and Paul London got a grip), it would be amazing. But there's more and, as you may have noticed, I cannot wait. Even if it probably takes some time until I can watch it.

Reactions: X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back