Best Ending to a Sports Movie

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
A League of Their Own.

Factor out the fact that it's one of my favorite sports flicks of all time. ANd in my top 50 overall. The way the writers and directors scripted and shot the final game between Racine and Rockford was fantastic, and everytime I watch it, it amazes me.

When Kit hits the deep ball and runs through the sign after swinging at two high balls for an 0-2 count, I figure "it's over, she blew it, and then they'll have the sister / sister learn how to play the game and not play out of emotions" conversation. I mean, the story is centered around the ROckford Peaches, not the Racine Belles. But Kit runs through the sign, and the collission between the sisters is epic. When Dottie Henson drops the ball, giving Kit and Racine the win, I'm amazed.

It proves that it doesn't take a thundering homerun, a strikeout, a shootout goal, a hail mary, or any other predictable final play to end a sports flick. A routine play at the plate - for the final out in game 7 of the championship, of course - works for me just fine. I felt the same way about the end of the original Major League, but "A League of Their Own" was better.

I'll go a more classic route and go with Rocky. This to me is the greatest sports film of all time and easily in the top 5 movies of any genre of all time. About a year ago I watched this movie with my uncle who hadn't seen it before, and he claimed that it wasn't any good for the most part until the ending which blew his mind. It was completely different than the movie builds up to and it never fails to work. I watch the final fight and beg for Rocky to hit Apollo with everything that he has, but everytime it just isn't enough. The movie builds up to one moment and that moment delievers like nothing else that I've seen in any sports movie of all time. Just all around greatness.

I would have to say Miracle. The story of the U.S. hockey team at the Lake Placid Winter Olympics. Although it has a cliche sports movie ending, the fact that it's a true story is what makes it an amazing finish. Compound that with the fact it has to be one of the top 5 sports moments of all time anyways, it has to be at the top of the list...

One of the reasons that I've never enjoyed sports movies is that it seems like if they don't have the typical cliche ending (standard "last shot" miracle win thing), that the endings typically stray away from it in a method that just screams "we did this because we didn't want the cliche ending", rather than "we thought this would tell the best story". That, and the fact that almost all sports films are the same for the rest of the movie anyway lol.

But if you classify it, the best ending to a sports film in my mind is the end of Field of Dreams. It avoids both in a way.

I always hated the ending to A League of Their Own. I just couldn't stand that whiney fucking bitch Kit, and it always bothered me how she got the happy ending, when she didn't fucking deserve it. Keep in mind that this is the little kid in me talking here, as I haven't seen this film since I was probably in middle school, but that ending always bugged me when I was little. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I watched the film today.

Anyway, got to go with Rudy on this one. The crowd chanting his name, coach finally letting him in, Rudy charging the field pumping his fist while the crowd erupts, gets a sack and is then carried off the field... gives me fucking goosebumps just thinking about it. Love everything about that movie.

I know I already said what I thought was the best, but I wanted to go to the other end of the spectrum. I've always LOVED The Sandlot since I was a kid, but I hate the ending. And there's one single reason; I can't stand Benny "The Jets" moustache. I just had to let that one out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back