Best Director

Discussion in 'The Zonies (2011)' started by Monster Amongst Men, Jun 29, 2011.

?

Who Wins The Zonie For Best Director?

1. Christopher Nolan

2. David Lynch

3. Martin Scorsese

4. Joel & Ethan Coen

5. Alfred Hitchcock

6. Steven Spielberg

7. Francis Ford Coppola

8. Peter Jackson

9. David Fincher

10. Qunetin Tarantino

11. Steven Soderbergh

12. Tim Burton

13. James Cameron

14. Orson Welles

15. Stanley Kubrick

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Best Director

Christopher Nolan

David Lynch

Martin Scorsese

Joel & Ethan Coen

Alfred Hitchcock

Steven Spielberg

Francis Ford Coppola

Peter Jackson

David Fincher

Quentin Tarantino

Steven Soderbergh

Tim Burton

James Cameron

Orson Welles

Stanley Kubrick

To hasten this process, voting will now begin immediately with all discussion also taking place henceforth from the moment this thread is posted. Voting will last 7 days.

2. Mac Attack

Mac Attack I'm neat.

Peter Jackson for sure. His work in Lord of the Rings automatically makes him better then all the others. He puts details and good movie making skills appear in all his movies and all his movies are incredible. (And on T.V a LOTR coomercial appears.) I think because of the details he puts into his work and the overall products he has created he is clearly the best one out of the list. His type of movies appeal to me the most so for that he will get my vote.

3. Dowdsy McDowds

Dowdsy McDowds Sally was here

It's Scorsese for me.

His style and direction has been so consistent for such a prolonged period that he can only be challenged by a few other directors; Kubrick, Hitchcock and Spielberg. Maybe Welles and Coppolla.

When he started out he was sticking to themes which he was comfortable with, such as isolation, family, religion and redemption. You can still see these themes in his latter films but the scope expanded far beyond his 'neighbourhood' films and seem to encapsulate America at certain times.

Still can't believe it took him so long to win an Oscar though!

(Shameless plug - I wrote about Scorsese in a blog for Uni, http://dowdsmike.blogspot.com/)

4. The Crock

The Crock WOO!

I'm going to have to vote for Stanley Kubrick. His influences on society are vast, as are his innovations in the film making industry, such as being one of the first to use the Steadicam in his films. Not only that, but his work won its fair share of Golden Globes, BAFTAs, and Oscars and if it didn't win, you can be sure that it was nominated. When speaking of consistency, Kubrick is the man. All of his movies were consistently good, that's one thing you could always expect from a Kubrick film.

He brought us many brilliant films throughout his career, from The Killing to The Shining to Spartacus to Dr. Strangelove to Full Metal Jacket to Eyes Wide Shut to 2001: A Space Odyssey to A Clockwork Orange... the list goes on and on. Kubrick is a GIANT of the industry and his impact will be remembered forevermore.

LSN80 likes this.
  5. Dowdsy McDowds

Dowdsy McDowds Sally was here

I was as surprised as you were/are when I discovered that he never won an Oscar. His films are certainly strong enough, but the timing seemed to have been the biggest hindrance in that he was at his peak during the boom of the 'New Hollywood' movement when a lot of directors listed and some that aren't were making names for themselves. Same thing can be applied to Spielberg and Scorsese in that their early work was outstanding but it took them years to get the Oscars they deserved, even if perhaps the films weren't their best.

The film 'Moon' by Bowie's son Zowie (calling himself Duncan Jones instead though, wise) is indebted to Kubrick for sure.