• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Artist To Leave A Band And Go Solo

SorgFamily

Getting Noticed By Management
Sometimes bands don't work out. Sometimes the members have creative differences, sometimes they just grow to hate each other. Whatever the reason, when a band that's had a lot of success breaks up the members are often reluctant to let go of the spotlight. That's when you get things like Ozzy being fired from Sabbath and starting his own career or to switch genres completely, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube blazing their own paths after the N.W.A. My question to you is: What artist do you feel had the most success as a solo artist after leaving a band? Or who is your favorite artist to go solo? Obviously it doesn't have to be the singer, guitarists such as Pete Townshend, Zakk Wylde and George Harrison all had successful-ish solo careers after/during their times with their bands.

My pick is Neil Young. He had a couple of hits with Buffalo Springfield most notably, "For What it's Worth" before going solo and hitting it big with ballads such as "Old Man", "The Needle and the Damage Done" and "Heart of Gold". He also had some pretty impressive jams with "Down by the River" and Cowgirl in the Sand". Besides singing he also handles lead guitar duties while whatever backing band he's using just controls the rhythm. His career has slowed way down since the early nineties after his single "Rockin' In The Free World" was released. He went on to establish the annual Bridge School Benefit concert that artists such as The Who, Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews Band among tons of others have contributed. His career is poised for a comeback since he has reformed his backing band Crazy Horse and released a 39 minute jam on his website with an album coming later this year.

[YOUTUBE]k0t0EW6z8a0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0q9RG16JCAs[/YOUTUBE]

I wouldn't say he's the best, but my favourite would definitely be Dallas Green.

Originally the lead guitarist and co-vocalist in screamo band Alexisonfire, he has released 3 studio albums under his City and Colour pseudonym. The City and Colour stuff is a lot more folk orientated, although his newest album Little Hell had a more mainstream sound than his first 2 efforts.

It was on AOF's second album, Watch Out!, that Dallas' vocal talents really started to shine as he has his first solo song (Side Walk When She Walks) as opposed to sharing the duties with George Pettit. SWWSW's structure was based on a song Dallas had written on his own (So Low) and is the first clue of his divided loyalties.

By AOF's third album, Dallas and George were probably 40/60 in terms of vocal duties as Dallas' softer tones complimented George's impassioned screams really well, perhaps best exemplified on the track, Rough Hands.

Dallas' solo stuff is a lot more meloncholic and often refers to uncertainties and inadequacies which are sometimes hard things to even admit to, let alone write songs about.

Most commercially successful? Probably Ozzy Osbourne. He has had far more success with hit songs as a solo artist than he ever had with Black Sabbath. Financially speaking, Ozzy > Sabbath.

However, the "best" artist to leave a band and go solo (I am assuming that best means most talented) would have to be Eric Clapton. Clapton is one of the most talented guitarists I have ever heard, and that was true with the Yardbirds, Cream, Faith No More and as a solo artist.

David Lee Roth was pretty successful after he left Van Halen. He put out several albums during his solo career and had several hit songs. Of course Ozzy is probably the all time most successful. Paul McCartney is another and is probably THE most successful after he left the Beatles as he's the only man who hit number 1 in the 60's, 70's, and the 80's. Eric Clapton although I can't stand him was in the Yardbirds, cream and blind faith and has had a very successful career. Rod Stewart has has several number 1 hits since leaving the Faces. Phil Collins had a successful career outside of Genesis.

David Lee Roth was pretty successful after he left Van Halen. He put out several albums during his solo career and had several hit songs. Of course Ozzy is probably the all time most successful. Paul McCartney is another and is probably THE most successful after he left the Beatles as he's the only man who hit number 1 in the 60's, 70's, and the 80's. Eric Clapton although I can't stand him was in the Yardbirds, cream and blind faith and has had a very successful career. Rod Stewart has has several number 1 hits since leaving the Faces. Phil Collins had a successful career outside of Genesis.

Fun fact: Ringo had more top 10 hits than John and George combined in the 70's. How? I have no fucking idea.

Sting leaving The Police might be the "most successful" tale of someone leaving a successful group in order to find solo success.

If we're talking about someone just leaving a band and becoming successful, Billy Joel leaving Attilla (whom many argue to be the worst band ever) and becoming... Billy Joel is probably the best "Leave a band" success story ever.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this guy

Michael Jackson

The guy went from being in a successful band with his brothers to becoming the most successful musician ever. I mean when he was in the Jackson 5 they did pretty well and were very well known, but when he went solo his popularity soared. The guy recorded the highest grossing album ever (Thriller)and all of his other albums have sold millions (heck his last album Invincible sold poorly and poorly was 6 million units)

It's a little different, because in Jackson 5 he basically WAS the group. Michael Jackson was the main draw. Also, Jackson 5 were really more of a group than a band, if you follow. (Much like *NSYNC).

For you, Paper Ghost...LOL

In addition to Eric Clapton, I would also like to bring up Phil Collins. I personally don't like his whole cheesy/schlocky pop style, but since leaving Genesis, the man has had hit after hit after hit, and has won many music awards as a solo artist. I can't deny that he has been incredibly successful. No clip for Collins though, I just can't do it.

Don Henley also comes to mind. In addition to the large volume of hits he had with the Eagles, he has also had quite a bit of success as a solo artist.

I'm not going to say she's the most successful, but I'm surprised there's no love for Joan Jett! The Runaways were great, and her solo stuff produced some timeless songs. She managed to become famous enough that The Runaways are an afterthought in her career amongst casual fans.

On a far smaller scale, is Jerry Cantrell, of Alice In Chains. Shortly after Layne died, he released a solo album, Boggy Depot. There's more than a handful of tunes I'd recommend off that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back