• Summer of Punk

• R-Truth Loses His Mind

• Henry's Hall of Pain

• Orton vs. Christian

• Rock vs. Cena/Rock's Return

• Beer Money Splits

• Cody Rhodes is Deformed

Results are only viewable after voting.
What's great is that it's so difficult for me to choose a winner in this category. That goes to show how great the product was this year.

Using my personal process of elimination, I can take out a few choices to help my decision a bit...

- I don't feel Zack Ryder's rise is worthy of the Angle of the Year, especially as compared to other choices on the poll.

- R-Truth doesn't even come close, even though it was hilarious.

- Orton/Christian was good but definitely not the best of the year.

Now, between Punk, Rock/Cena, Hall of Pain, Cody's push, and Beer Money's split, I'm completely torn. All of these angles made big differences in their respective promotions' product. All were extremely entertaining.

Just a tough choice.

Easily a hugely competitive category all of those options are worthy in my opinion and held huge entertainment value through out the year. Haven't quite made up a decision but I can post my opinions on most of them before I do so.

Zack Ryder's Rise to Prominence: This has been a great angle in my opinion because he went from a potential future endeavored talent to the top of Raw's mid card scene over the course of the summer and fall. You also have to take into account his YouTube show he's been doing to try and get noticed and the fact that many episodes later the company finally gave him chance and he took the ball and ran a marathon with it. The story started off from a guy hosting a YouTube show in last attempt to save his job, to the end of the story at the end of year of the same guy capturing the United States Championship. It's like a fairy tale ending, definitely a high contender for my vote.

Summer of Punk:This in all intensive purposes was the most exciting angle all year long. Punk announcing his contract was expiring at Money In The Bank and how he was so sick of the WWE's product and management that he was going to win the WWE title and walk out of the company with it's biggest prize. Gives the promo of the year with his worked shoot, has a match of the year contender with Cena to win the title and walks out on the company, leaving many of us unsure where this was going next. Another high contender for my vote.

R-Truth Loses His Mind: A great heel turn that lead to a wrestler many named a "boring face" into one of the main reasons to watch Monday nights. Truth with his obsessions with C-O-N-spiricies!, and LITTLE JIMMIES! was just downright hilarious, do any of you remember his fear role call on ladders, heights, and spiders? Great stuff but I don't know if it would be my choice as best angle of this year although it was a highly entertaining.

Henry's Hall of Pain: Another great heel turn that owned the summer and the fall. Henry destroyed everyone in his path to a world title win: Big Show, Kane, Sheamus and finally the champion Orton. Henry also went to have one of the best title reigns of the year with that belt. This was SmackDown's biggest angle of the year in my mind, so another great choice for a vote.

Orton vs. Christian: Surely a choice for best feud of the year but I'm not going to vote or elaborate on it for this category.

Rock vs. Cena/Rock Returns: Maybe this will be a better contender next year when the feud get a little more heated and has an actual match behind it. It did set in stone WrestleMania's main event in April but there are better choices here. However the whole scenario could be next year's angle of the year when it's all said and done.

Beer Money Splits: I don't follow the TNA product so my analysis would be utterly worthless.

Cody Rhodes is Deformed: Another fantastic choice for a vote. It saved Cody's career, gave him the biggest push of the year and it contributed to one of the best feuds of the year. It was definitely the turning point of Cody's career and made for some interesting feuds and matches.

All in all in my choice is ultimately the Summer of Punk.

During the summer it became cool to call yourself a pro-wrestling fan again. People who'd no interest in wrestling took time from their lives to hand it their attention, those who'd grown out of professional wrestling gave it another chance because they knew something cool was happening, an aura had returned to professional wrestling that had dispersed many a year ago and that wasn't because of Cody Rhodes, it wasn't because of Beer Money and it sure as hell wasn't because of R-Truth it was because the Summer of Punk.

The day after that promo had gone out it made a quarter of a million views on YouTube, people were talking about it even though they didn't know a lot of the stuff CM Punk was referencing. The entire angle, from Punk breaking the fourth wall to the night in Chicago where he blew Vince McMahon a kiss rejuvinated something that isn't all that relevant in this world and made it relevant even for a short space of time.

My vote goes to Summer of Punk. Not because I'm a Punk fan and not because it's the cool thing to do, more-so because it made a bigger impact than the other nominee's combined.

Summer of Punk fizzled out. Beer Money's split has managed to stick the landing. So Beer Money.

I can't believe Jarrett and Angle didn't make the cut. Great, great program, best thing TNA has done in years.

I'll give it to Rock/Cena. The promos are unmatched, the hype is incredible, etc. It's a big deal, which is more than I can say for most angles on this list.

I have to go for the Beer Money Inc split. The whole storyline is full of question marks; Did Hogan prevent Roode taking the belt at BFG? Was Storm meant to take the belt from the legitimately injured Angle? Would we now be watching Roode vs Storm had it not been for the concussion?

Meant or not, I feel that this has worked out perfectly. Roode is a fantastic heel champ and the fact that Storm has not had his chance to exact revenge, meaning that there is a great sense of anticipation building.

This storyline has elevated two guys into main event status (and, to my knowledge, everyone is ecstatic to see them there). As such, this could be regarded as the greatest tag team split in wrestling history and, in my humble opinion, a great choice for the 2011 Angle of the Year.

It's between Cena/Rock, Summer of Punk, and Hall of Fame.

Cena/Rock was awesome, but so ridiculously one sided. Cena out talked The Rock around every corner, but Rock just kept outpopping Cena and then looked like an unstoppable machine at SurvivorSeries, which was just silly. Am I really supposed to believe The Rock could come back after 7 years or retirement and be so dominant that the Miz and R-Truth wouldn't be able to hit a single move on him?

There's still no denying that it is a slow but powerful build to arguably the biggest match of the current era of wrestling.

Summer of Punk- As Coco said, it fizzled out. The white hot start is enough to warrant voting for it, but his second win over John Cena was tainted with poor officiating by Triple H and Delberto's cash in following Kevin Nash's attack... which still makes zero sense. Punk managed to stay in the spotlight thankfully, but he was no longer the focus on Raw, or Summer in general.

Hall of Pain- Started as an amazing concept that lead to Mark Henry looking like a dominant beast, wound up being a heel gag that Mark Henry used to draw heat. It was a great concept when it began and included a clean victory of Randy Orton and the induction of fellow monsters Kane and Big Show into the Halls. But since then Mark Henry has turned into a more cowardly heel than a monster heel, and the Hall of Pain has lost it's aura of terror.

Summer Of Punk. Let's get the facts straight. Summer of Punk did not consist of Punk vs Triple H. As far as I am concerned that is a different angle altogether and one that began after Del Rio cashed in on Punk. Summer of Punk was about Punk holding the title hostage and his feud with Cena which ended when Cena was 'pinned' by Punk at SummerSlam.

You could say that Summer of Punk did not have a great end but you also have to consider the fact that it stole Rock/ Cena's thunder. When Rock/ Cena was announced a year in advance, it almost made the rest of the year seem irrelavant. People were scared that it would have an adverse effect on the product. But The Summer of Punk angle made Rock/ Cena seem irrelavant. That is not something any other angle has been able to do.

im gotta go with the beer money split. Its one of my favorite things that has happened in wrestling in a long time. It completely changed up TNA's stagnant main event scene and led to 2 legit stars breaking out.

Without question, there were two angles that created complete and utter pandimondium in the wrestling world in 2011. Those were The Return of the Rock and The Summer of Punk.

Both had tremendous promo work from John Cena, CM Punk and (despite the high level of generic that came from them) Rock. Both had the intrigue with the Rock showing up for the first time in 7 years to not only be the face of WrestleMania 27, but also call out John Cena and CM Punk cutting loose and legitimately working a large number of people.

What both didn't have however was continuous action. CM Punk and John Cena had a five star match as well as another strong outing at SummerSlam. The Rock came back at Survivor Series and was pretty awesome, but the result was ultimately average. A five star match tips the scale here and Summer of Punk takes it.

HOLY CRAP! I thought this poll was going to be closer, I really did. Summer of Punk was great, it was awesome, it made wrestling cool again, but I had to go with Rock vs Cena? Why? Because Rock vs Cena is legendary. It is the biggest build-up to a Mania Match we have ever had. It had the Return of the Rock, it had a series of EPIC promos this spring with the Rock proving that he is still the MASTER on the mic, and Cena returning to his rapping roots. Let me say that again, it had Cena returning to his RAPPING ROOTS. You know, the thing that made us all LOVE John Cena in the beginning? It had an indelible image of The Rock Rockbottoming Cena at Mania, then it had the confrontation afterwards, and them making the Mania match a full year out. It has had The Rock and Cena going after each other ALL YEAR on Twitter, it has had The Rock returning to In-Ring Action, and looking AMAZING while doing it, it has had The Rock getting epic pops and Cena getting epic boos. It has had Kane returning to his masked roots, which as we found out Monday is in connection to the boo's Cena has been getting during this feud with The Rock, and to top it all off, it has developed the possibility that Cena might be going Heel in the future sometime. Whether that happens or not is another story, but just the possibility existing and arising out of this, creates a smile on my face, and gives me goosebumps up and down my arm, because as we all know, a heel Cena who holds nothing back, and cuts his opponents down in a Rap, is the best kind of Cena. Yeah, so while the Summer of Punk was Great, the Entire Year Long Saga that has been The Rock vs John Cena has just been better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back