Best and Worst Logos

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
Simple idea. Any sport, baseball, football, college sports, rugby, whatever sport you choose, which team's logo is your favorite, and why? I fully expect this to turn into a homer thread, just remember to not use it as a reason.

For mine, I have to go with the obvious Indian Head.

64-64008_nhl_chicago_blackhawks_logo_prod

The Blackhawks logo is just very simple, and the look is great on the red, white, and the old (last year old) black alternative jerseys. Plus, in the past, it has been voted one of the top logos in all of sports, and last year The Hockey News, voted it the best logo in the NHL. I love walking around in my jersey and people automatically say how awesome it looks.

Honorable Mentions: Detroit Red Wings, San Jose Sharks among others I can't think of.

So what is yours?

MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE GIVE REASONS BEHIND YOUR SELECTION, OR THEY WILL BE DELETED FOR SPAM, AND YOU COULD FACE INFRACTIONS

This is a fun thread.

Since you used your hometown bias with the Blackhawks, I'll follow suit.

new-jersey-devils-playoff-tickets1.png

It's neat how they put the "N" and the "J" together and created horns and a tail. It says "New Jersey Devils" without being overly demonic. Very clever stuff.

canadiens%20logo.jpg

Ah, Les Habitants. So much history here. Few logos have changed LESS in such a long time.

NYM_1234.gif

Each part of the skyline in the design has a special meaning. The featured buildings in the logo include a church spire (symbolic of Brooklyn), the Williamsburg Savings Bank, the Woolworth Building, the Empire State Building and the United Nations Building. The bridge symbolizes that the Mets represent the five boroughs of New York. The colors - blue and orange - are taken from the two teams that left NY for California (Brooklyn Dodger Blue and NY Giants Orange).

I also want to nominate one for the "Worst Logo in Sports."

Memphis_Grizzlies.jpg

Ah, the Memphis Grizzlies. This Grizzly looks a lot like the team plays. He's not angry or hungry, he's really more "disapproving." Bad things are happening, so he sits back with this sour face. Just like the team.

I also thought about the Devil's logo, it is a nice touch on an otherwise "menacing" figure. Mascot is funny in the ESPN commercial too. Neither here nor there.

I was thinking about making a worst logos thread, but why not, let's combine the two. Perhaps you could change the title of the thread IC?

I'll throw out the Anaheim Ducks logo. The alternate isn't even that good either, just a D in the same writing as this.

anaheimducksnhl.JPG

I realize that Disney doesn't own the Ducks anymore, but did the new owner really have to change them from the Mighty Ducks to the Ducks? I loved the old logo. Very simple yet unique.

MightyDucksOfAnaheim.png

This logo was just something that worked. I'm not saying any name changes had to or didn't have to happen, but did they really have to stray away from this? It is a classic look, and the new one isn't even that good.

Going to go the football route. I'll start with my team Arsenal. They had one of the most classic crests that was used until 2002. It was a crest that made you feel proud to be part of the team, even the latin at the bottom made it even more special

Arsenal_fc_old_crest_small.png

Now when they replaced with the new one, I hated it, naturally it was to modernise but it truly grew on me. Now when I see this crest, I feel the same way. Sure, it will never have the full blown effect that the old one use to give me, but still a great looking design anyhow.

arsenal%20crest.jpg

As for worst, Totteham, previous and current logo, just awful (and I'm not being biased)

Tottenham_Logo.gif

tottenham.jpg

Oh man, there are so many logos that I like that it is hard to choose but I have two that I love more then the rest.

The first would have to be my favorite team in any sport, the Baltimore Orioles.
Baltimore-Orioles-Logo-3.gif

I am a lifelong Orioles fan and nothing reminds me of the good days like this logo. I know I am not that old but I have watched a lot of the old Oriole games and really just wish the team would return to those days.

The other logo I really love is the Colorado Avalanche logo. I started watching hockey when I was about 10 and that was when the Av's were actually good. I hate the Red Wings, no disrespect to their fans, so I instantly fell in love with their rivals of that time.
colorado-avalanche-playoff-tickets.png

Major League Baseball

NYY.jpg

There is no logo more recognizable in all sports than that of the New York Yankees. This is a very simple, yet sophisticated, classic logo.

National Basketball Association

blazer-logo.jpg

So what if I'm a homer? The Blazers logo is awesome! No one is exactly sure.. what it is, really.. but it looks great on our Jerseys!

New%20York%20Rangers.gif

I know I'm a homer, but I love this logo. It's got the greatest colors in sports, and it's just amazing to look at. I probably only love it, because I'm a fan, but it's still greatness, and just looking at it makes me want to watch a game.

Cleveland%20Browns%20Primary%20Logo2.gif

This is definitely my choice for worst. It's the old school Browns logo, and I had never known it existed until unlocking a Browns team from the '50s in Madden. It's just ugly, and makes absolutely no sense.

miami_dolphins.jpg

I'm going to have to be a homer, and go with my Miami Dolphins. They've never really changed this logo over the years. They just tweek every now and then.

new-york-jets.jpg

For my worst logo, I'm going with New York Jets. It's not just because I hate the Jets, but look at that logo. It's so plain and boring. There's nothing special about it.

Since I am only iPod you will have to believe me as I can't post photos.

Fucking bunch of homer in this thread. Ill break this cycle. Vancouver for a short time had the worst logo, back when they had the sunset V. It was ugly uncreative and had little to do with the west coast color scene that their last two have had.

The best logo might just be our rival, the Colorado avalanche. The avalanche A is an awesome logo I must say, and even the big foot alternate logo was good.

Fucking bunch of homer in this thread. Ill break this cycle. Vancouver for a short time had the worst logo, back when they had the sunset V. It was ugly uncreative and had little to do with the west coast color scene that their last two have had.

I'd say the black, gold, and red ice skate wasn't exactly appealing either. It was awful watching that in 1994, but at least they got rid of it shortly after.

I'd also like to say i'm a bit of a mark for the Maple Leafs uniforms. Any version of them. The blue and white mesh well, and the lettering looks really cool.

Let us back away for a bit and stop being homers, eh?

hartford_whalers_1996.gif

This... is the coolest logo in Sports History. The Hartford Whalers. Look at it. It's epic. You see the "H"? You obviously see the "W" I hope? You see the Whale Tail? Good. That logo just told you everything you need to know while doing so in a very retro (despite being a 70s/80s logo) and clean manner. You see that logo on the sweater and you know EXACTLY who you're looking at without having to inspect the whole sweater for an actual name.

miami20logo.jpg

I don't give a shit what this symbolizes or the attitude that it represented in the 80s. It's fucking ******ed. Nothing says "Miami Hurricanes" like a goofy ass "U".

Here is my pick for (one of) the worst logos in sports.
New_Jersey_Nets.svg

200px-New_Jersey_Nets.svg.png

This is the logo for the New Jersey Nets. They suck as a team, and their logo is quite possibly even worse. The logo isn't all that terrible, but for some reason they decided to put a circle around it. The circle is probably representing a basketball rim, but they forgot one thing. A FRIGGIN NET. The team is the NETS, you would think the logo has something to do with a NET. Plus, why have a rim on the logo without a Net? Only Basketball courts in cheap parks don't have nets. Of course the Nets couldn't win a pickup game in said park against regular people, so maybe the terrible logo fits....

Nobody has mentioned the awfulness that is the current Browns logo?

browns_logo_small.gif

It strikes fear in all that see it. That orange brown color just screams good team. Doesn't help that the Browns have never been good in my lifetime.

My favorite is the awesomeness that is the Vikings

minnesota-vikings-logo.png

The logo was the sole reason my 2nd grade self became a fan of them becoming the backward football fan I am today.

I'm just going to contribute what used to be one of my favorite sports logos, and what it has become, what it has degenerated into...

Buffalo Sabres (1996 - 2006) :

16643382.gif

That symbolizes strength and ferocity, in one package...

And now, what it has become:

6elec248g0248fybjjx0.gif

What the fuck is that?

It looks like the Sabres logo slammed into your car windshield, and in an attempt to remove it, you just smeared it all over the damn thing. Whoever designed this should be fired and have his / her eyes burned out.

Ok, Im a huge hockey fan, and especially a Pittsburgh Penguins fan. I love the Penguins logo, with the skating Penguin,pictured here in this youtube video.

For as long as Ive been watching hockey, back to Petr Nedveds triple OT winner vs Washington back when I was 10, this logo has been the favorite of mine for my entire life. Not flashy, but to me, it symbalizes my favorite team in my favorite sport.

Worst logo? This ones easy. The friggin cleveland browns. Orange and Brown and that be all. Quite original, if by original you mean blaise and ugly.

Granted, i hate the freakin Browns. Still doesn't mean their logo is the worst in sports.

Yes it is my hometown but of all the Cardinals logos this one was always my favorite, mostly because it is really different then all the other ones, something about the cartoonish Cardinal makes me like it.

The Oakland Athletic's alternate logo is the worst one for me and Oakland has always been my favorite non-home team. Maybe I don't get it but why an elephant? I don't know, but I think it looks kinda dumb. I know the reason I like the Cardinal's logo is because it's cartoonish but I just don't like the elephant.

The Oakland Athletic's alternate logo is the worst one for me and Oakland has always been my favorite non-home team. Maybe I don't get it but why an elephant? I don't know, but I think it looks kinda dumb. I know the reason I like the Cardinal's logo is because it's cartoonish but I just don't like the elephant.

I wondered that also, so I looked it up. They got the name from the NY Giants manager John McGraw calling them an White Elephants in 1901. It was embraced by the A's so then they used a white elephant as thier logo, and have often used it though the years.

As for my pick as worst logo

RaptorsLogo.jpg

I think it just looks goofy to have a basketball playing Raptor, from the head turned sideways, it's nails sticking through the sneakers, the other hand looks out of place with it being tucked like that.

As for my favorite logo

detroit-tigers-logo.png

The Tigers are not even my favorite team in baseball (Braves are) but always liked this logo. The tiger has a 3-D effect going on there.

How this is not yet listed is beyond me...
old_patriots_logo_retro.jpg

This has WORST LOGO written all over it. The Patriots were a shit team when they had this logo and its no wonder why. The guy looks like he is bending over to get ... well you know, no reason to go there. They totally made an upgrade when they went to their new logo.

I am not much of a Baseball fan. I could not even name any players on this team, but I have always liked this logo...
wnyd2zhh84f50ux4uxyqbktbh.gif

On and off since I was a kid I would get a Indians hat simply for the logo. I had to explain more than once that I was not a fan of the team I just like the hat.

How this is not yet listed is beyond me...
old_patriots_logo_retro.jpg

This has WORST LOGO written all over it. The Patriots were a shit team when they had this logo and its no wonder why. The guy looks like he is bending over to get ... well you know, no reason to go there. They totally made an upgrade when they went to their new logo.

I'm a Jets fan who despises the Pats with every ounce of my being, but I have to give love to Patriot Pat (I'm 99% sure that was his name). The logo is absolutely classic, and awesome. it may get my vote for being (one of) the best logo's in sports. It conveys somewhat what a patriot is, while having him play football.

Also, iIs there a reason why you are blatantly making fun of offensive line play, by implying that he is waiting to engage in anal intercourse? It is obvious that Patriot Pat is a Center about to snap the football. In that case, he is actually in a pretty realistic stance. And their new logo is just a weird and abstract looking head of a patriot. I would much rather see them go back to the good ol' Patriot Pat.

I too Stormtrooper love Pat Patriot logo. It is classic and much better than the logo they currently have. Plus the jerseys to go along with it are some of my favorite the NFL has to offer. Now onto what I think are the best and worst logos in sports.

Best NFL: Minnesota Vikings

minnesota-vikings-logo.jpg

Yes I'm a homer, but it is I think one of the best logos in the sport. However I do prefer the Viking horn on the helmet, however I don't consider that the logo.

Non Homer NFL: Oakland Raiders

35-31967-F.jpg

This would have to be my favorite logo that isn't the Vikes. I actually like the whole Raiders scheme of things with the black and silver and I love their jerseys. It's not fierce, it isn't angry, but it is old school.

MLB: Philadelphia Phillies

Philadelphia_Phillies.jpg

Yup another homer pick. I love everything about the Phillies logo, the P, the diamond with Phillies across, everything.

Non Homer MLB: Chicago White Sox

Chicago_White_Sox.jpg

Love the ChiSox logo. I think it is the font style, it just looks cool and can't go wrong with the easy going black and white color scheme.

NHL: Minnesota Wild

minnesota-wild-playoff-tickets.png

Interesting pick if I must say so. I just dig the color scheme and the whole "wild" setting with the forest inside that of the bear or whatever it is.

NBA: Dallas Mavericks

mavs_logo.jpg

I love this logo. The color scheme, the horse, the font, the basketball in the background, everything.

Least favorites

NFL: Miami Dolphins

Miami-Dolphins-Logo.jpg

I just don't like this logo. I find it cartoony and cheesy. Not a fan of the color scheme nor the dolphin with the helmet and such.

MLB: Arizona Diamondbacks

arizona-diamondbacks.jpg

Thank god they updated this. While I'm a fan of purple, this didn't work for them. The whole teal, purple, and gold just doesn't work. Plus the snake looks cartoony and I find myself chuckling at it.

NHL: Vancouver Canucks

90f828a2c71bc9f0.gif

Sorry TM. While I like that they change the color scheme for the newer version, I still am not fond of it. I prefer the older one much to this one. The whole dark red, dark blue, and silver just didn't work for me. While I'm not fond of the green and blue, I do enjoy the alternate logo with them.

NBA: Milwaukee Bucks

bucks.jpg

I didn't think they could make the green and purple style worse, but they almost succeeded with this. The color scheme is terrible, I hate the font, and I just don't like the Buck at all. Doesn't make me fear the deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back