• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bands who sound the same: A recurring issue

The Dewbliners

WZ's Whedonite. Now 20% Cooler
So, the purpose here, is for all of us to discuss the ongoing theme of bands who sound similar, and which is better. Kind of like an "Original vs. Cover: The Bands". So, without further adieu, let the discussions begin!!!

First "similar" band sound that pops into my mind, is the epidemic of bands ripping off Pearl Jam's sound.

On one hand, we have Pearl Jam, a great band, destined to join the HoF. You'd think this would mean they have a unique sound, no? Well, once upon a time, this was true. Then, in the late '90s and into the '00s, a trend started. And, my friends, it was a disturbing trend. Bands started emerging who, on first listen, sounded like Pearl Jam. Bands that were apparently out to ride the coattails of Eddie and Company.

It started with Creed. I'll admit, I listen to them from time to time. But, and this applies to Scott Stapp more than the others, they started to anger me after a while. Here they were, in interviews, claiming they took PJ's sound, and perfected it. I'm guessing Stapp's idea of "perfecting" an established act's sound is "Sound like a whinier version of the band." Whatever. Creed was big for a while, but eventually, their personal problems caught up, and they split from Stapp. Now they're back, and sporting a different style, so they get a new slate.

After Creeds popularity first started to wain, a new contender came out. But, these guys were different. They acknowledged the inspiration they drew from PJ, and they were gracious about it. I, of course, am referring to Lifehouse. Jason Wade, lead singer, states openly that they are just trying to honor Pearl Jam. I'm willing to forgive them, if for no other reason than being honest.

This is an ongoing issue, people, and I intend to discuss more bands this affects later. What I wanna know is, can you think of any examples? I'd like for all of us to explore this further.....

This is an ongoing issue, people, and I intend to discuss more bands this affects later. What I wanna know is, can you think of any examples? I'd like for all of us to explore this further.....

I can't think of any SPECIFIC examples.... but I find that far too many bands sound the same nowadays. It isn't just ripoffs of Pearl Jam, it's a lot of the newer bands sounding similar to each other. I stopped buying CD's a while back because I can't really keep up with who is who anymore, and prefer to just listen to classic rock stations on the radio.

As for Creed, they were my favorite band back in 2000 until around 2005, because I liked the original group better than Alter Bridge, which despite what the band said in interviews, is just Creed with a different singer.... and I have not heard the new cd from this year's reunion yet.

I think it can be a good thing when someone takes an already established style of sound and make it into their own thing, as long as they acknowledge who/where they drew inspiration from. Too many bands sound the same today though and I think that is part of why I prefer older music from before 2004 or so because the older stuff I can tell who is who easier.

You know, Dewey, a few months back I made a thread in the Bar Room about this very subject. I noticed it when driving, before I had the cord to hook my iPod up to the sound system. I had some "Hits" radio station on, and it played a song by Kings of Leon, followed by one by Theory of a Deadman. I couldn't tell the difference, at all. This is something I've witnessed a lot through my years of music-listening, and it bugs me.

Artists need to find a unique sound that makes me WANT to buy their CDs as opposed to a single. The reason I like Lady Gaga as much as I do is because to me she seems so different from everything else on the radio. The UK seems to do a lot better than America, with artists like La Roux and Calvin Harris, along with rock and rap groups in their top hits.

I've mostly given up on modern music (and im 18 lol) everything sounds so generic and samey such as modern metal bands and emo bands (literally nothing but shouting) and then there's the trend of covering just about every song from the last ten years, most artists now can't seem to write good material. There are exceptions but they are few and far between

I don't generally find much of a problem with bands sounding the same, but mainly bands that have thier songs sounding the same.
For instance, Scouting for Girls, are a band I quite enjoy- but all their songs have the same rythm, the same tempo, pretty much everything, theres no variance between them.
Personally, I have a varying taste in music. If I had to choose one type I prefer, I'd have to say punk rock- New Found Glory, Blink 182, All Time Low, There for Tommorow etc., but I like some pop acts like Mr. Hudson and Lady GaGa, some rap acts like Tinchy Stryder, Public Enemy and NWA, some heavier rock bands like Senses Fail, Story of the Year, A Day To Remember, Escape The Fate and Silverstein, and some alternative bands like Bloc Party, Muse, Simple Plan and I could go on and on.
In the end, I generally don't find many bands that sound the same to each other. But I do find bands that have songs simlilar to each other, and as good as it may be, I don't want to hear it 5 times on the same album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back