Bad Week For Officiating.

The Kingpin

Dark Match Winner
As we all saw in in this week ( Which hasn't even ended yet ), the referees of the Sports World have fucked up in more then awesome fashion.

A brief summary of the weeks screw ups:

* Detroit Red Wings goal called off against Dallas Stars as referee says he blew the whistle before the puck was in which it clearly wasn't because the puck was in the net for about 2-3 seconds before any whistle was blown. This meant the Red Wings did not tie the game at 2-2 but instead kept it at 2-1 and eventually lost 3-1.

* Toronto Maple Leafs goal called off in Overtime -vs- the Carolina Hurricanes last night, much like the Red Wings goal, the referee says he blew a whistle, and as much as I hate the Leafs, it was a goal, and just because the two teams playing are shit, doesn't meen the officiating has to be. And with that blown call the Hurricanes beat the Leafs in a shootout.

* And perhaps the worst call I have ever seen anywhere in my life, 4... thats right FOUR blown calls against Team France in the World Cup Qualifier against Ireland, not only were two French players offside but Thierry Henry clearly touched the ball not once but TWICEwith his hand and thus passing the ball to William Gallas and thrust France into the World Cup.

All these bad calls, in soccer these calls should be easily diverted with two line judges and a referee missed a hand ball and offsides, 4 calls in one shot were blown... Thats epic but human error is common, but in hockey, with instant replay no less, the ref's still fucked up on two goals that could have and did, change the outcome of the game.

So what are your thoughts on this week in sports officiating?

The thing about the NHL is it doesn't mean much when the physical sound of a whistle is blown. The play is dead when the referee wants it dead, which can happen 2-3 seconds before the whistle is even blown. And that was the cause of the no goal, as anyone could tell you that the play should have been dead before the puck ever crossed the line. It is unfortunate, but that sort of thing happens.

I would even argue the Patriots/Colts game.

I still think Kevin Faulk's "bobble" was a valid catch, and unfortunately, it couldn't be challenged because Belichick burned his time outs. It was never really a "bobble" but rather him just kind of moving his arms to hold on, but he had full possession as far as I'm concerned. To me, a bobble is when the receiver has no control of the ball, and what it is, a literal bobbling of the ball.

I was never a fan of criticizing officials. They are only humans, and humans make mistakes. They call what they see, and they all can't see everything happening. That handball in the soccer game happened so fast its almost impossible to see it happen without some sort of instant replay. I didn't the hockey games but I am sure the refs had a valid reason to stop the puck. But I did see the Pats game and I believe Faulk did not have full possession of that football. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to rely on the refs. Score some goals, punt the ball away in those situations. It isn't the refs fault your team lost. You just didn't execute well enough to win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back