Author Spotlight: Christopher Pike

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
Christopher Pike is an author that specalizes in horror/thriller stories, mostly for teens and young adults. His stories often feature aspects of science fiction, religion, whodunit, and Greek, Hindu, and Egyptian mythology. His most well known work may be Slumber Party, a story about a group of teens who go on a ski weekend and end up with scar and violent results. Some of his other, more well known works, include Weekend, Chain Letter, Bury Me Deep, Remember Me (a trilogy), and The Last Vampire (a six-book series).

For a reccomended read, there are three books of his that I have read that I enjoyed more than others:

Master of Murder, which tells the story of Marvin, a high school student who is a very succesful author under a pen name. He has a girl that he is in love with, Shelley, who is dating a popular jock, I'm thinking his name was Triad. Shelley wants to know how her former boyfriend died, and she employs Marvin to find out. It leads to a story of love, heartbreak, and betrayal.

Die Softly, a story about a boy ( If forget his name) who has a crush a cheerleader, Alexia. One day he decides to film the cheerleaders in the shower, just a harmless prank. But he sees something he wishes he hasn't. A murder taking place. This is followed by a series of unfortunate murders and deaths, and a story of love, sex, drugs, and tradgedy in a small town.

And Whisper of Death. The story follows a teenage girl, Roxanne. She gets pregnant by her boyfriend Pepper. When they decide on abortion, they travel to a nearby town at night, with an appointment scheduled for a very early morning. When they return to their town, they find that they, along with four of their friends, are seemingly the only 6 left alive in the world. They all have something in common: They were each in a way connected to Betty Sue McCormick, a girl who had died recently by commiting suicide. They all feel that she may be connected to the strange world they awoke to that fateful morning, and set out around town to find what had happened. The story follows with something none of them would've ever imagined, and wish they had never knew.

All I've read by Pike is the first of the Last Vampire series, and I didn't really care for it. His writing style was decent enough, but quite frankly, I really don't enjoy the vampire genre and just find it a bit played out. It also came out at a time that made it feel like an attempt to cash in on the popularity of the Anne Rice Interview with a Vampire series.

Granted that's certainly not enough reading to pass any kind of judgment on him as an author but I tend to not really enjoy young adult fiction anyway. I prefer a little envelope-pushing in my books and you don't find much of it there. If I'm wrong on this, I'd love to hear why.

I remember I used to read Christopher Pike back when I was starting secondary school. Our library had a pretty big selection of his books. That was a good many years ago though- (more years than I would care to remember ;) ) I quite liked them at the time, but I don't think I have gone anywhere near his books since I was 13 or so. I always thought of his books as more teenager than young adult but such is semantics.

For people of that age though I think his books are pretty good- they have all that a teenager wants in a book- all based on young people, a good mix of innocent romancing between the people that always feels like its a bit more and lots of thrills and violence without again going overboard. Pulp fiction for teenagers really :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back